• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think key PS5 franchises in 2023+ will be cross gen with PS4?

Will Sony's unannounced heavy hitters be cross gen too?

• Yes. Money, PS5 shortages for a while, might as well cross gen them

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Maybe some. Sony will pick and choose which ones to do cross gen

Votes: 33 21.4%
  • No. By then, Sony will cut the cord and those games coming later will be PS5 only

Votes: 103 66.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
PS first party likely has no games in 2023. Sony first party games take 4-5 years nowadays and nearly all their first party studios have gone either last year, this year or will go next year. They will have some B exclusives like Death Loop and Ghostwire tokyo filling in that year but i just dont see any of these studios turning up in 2023.

SSM - 2022 GoW
GG - 2021/2022 Horizon
PD - 2022 GT7
Insomniac - 2021 Ratchet
Sucker Punch - 2020 GoT
ND - 2020 TLOU
Sony Bend - 2019 Days Gone shouldve been ready for a 2023 release but sony wasted two of their years and they are only just now starting to get working on new IPs.

Sony will have to buy Bluepoint or Koji Pro to have first party ready for 2023. I just dont see how ND and Sucker Punch can get a next gen game ready in 3 years when their current gen games took longer. Especially with ND wasting talent and resources on a TLOU remake.

I suspect TLOU3, GoT 2, Spiderman 2 are all 2024 releases and next gen only. We should have PS5 Pro out by holiday 2023 so i suggest everyone just wait for that console to come out instead.
Highly doubt Sony has nothing in store for 2023. The PS5 is the easiest PS console to develop for, and is very similar to the PS4 in structure. Sony and their devs stated expect shorter development cycles due to this. I can see Spiderman 2 dropping 2023 considering it is Insomniac, Sony's fastest making studio. Didn't they make Ratchet and Clank in 2 years? Insomniac has three teams and maybe even more at this time if they continued to expand. ND should have a new IP ready by late 2023 as they they usually don't take longer than 3 years into a generation to release a new IP assuming they have been working on the game since last year or this year. GG has been rumored to be working on a second IP and don't be surprised if other studios are working on a second IP. For example Infamous could make a return or Sucker Punch could be working on a brand new IP. Santa Monica's new IP could release at then or slip into 2024. Don't collaborations between first party studios, 2nd party studios, and third party deals. I didn't name a couple of other first party studios that could have a 2023 release. I think the majority of Sony's studios have expanded to have at least two teams working on separate things

Last edited:
As I said I think MS fans are making it out to be a bigger thing than it is, and disappointed Sony fans who bought into the "generations" crap are also making it out to be bigger than it is. The whole thing is such a stupid non-issue for both console makers. Yes it will make sense to continue to release on both platforms for a while...a short while. That's it.
I want the devs to break free from the shackles of last gen so they don't have to design their game around aging hardware. I want them to have the freedom to design the game they want without having to incorporate lots of "crawl through here" or "lift this broken beam" type of crap that artificially slows the player down, but not from a pacing stand point, but from a hardware restriction to get around slow load times.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Highly doubt Sony has nothing in store for 2023. The PS5 is the easiest PS console to develop for, and is very similar to the PS4 in structure. Sony and their devs stated expect shorter development cycles due to this. I can see Spiderman 2 dropping 2023 considering it is Insomniac, Sony's fastest making studio. Didn't they make Ratchet and Clank in 2 years? ND should have a new IP ready by late 2023 as they should don't take longer than 3 years into a generation to release a new IPI assume they have been working on the game since last year or this year. GG has been rumored to be working on a second IP and don't be surprised if other studios are working on a second IP. For example Infamous could make a return or Sucker Punch could be working on a brand new IP. Santa Monica's new IP could release then or slip into 2024. Don't collaborations between first party studios and 2nd party studios.
Read my other post. ND devs had nothing to work on after they shipped the last of us 2. Thats why they took over the TLOU remake project by another studio. They dont even know what their next project is. How are they gonna get it out in the next two years?

And if rumors of those second teams releasing games in 2023 were true, we would be seeing them getting revealed at a big conference here in June. Yet sony seems to be MIA. We will see if they show up at all. Let alone with these second team IPs.

Papacheeks

Banned
They said the transition will take 3 years which means all the way till end 2023, may even spill into 2024 if some titles get delayed.

Straight from the horses mouth

They are specifically talking about releases on PS4/PS5. Not specifically the development transition. As in you will see some games continue like MLB the show. But we know what games are cross gen. Anything that started 2017,2018 will be cross gen.

GoW, Horizon, Gt7 are the main cross gen games. Rest of developers had games release within the past year or so. So access to skd's and devkits were close to available upon them starting their new projects.

Pixelopus is the only one I know of whose game might be cross gen. Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, Bend Studio are all working on PS5 only titles.

Naughty Dog has more than one project. I'm unsure if the Remake for last of us is cross gen? But their "other" project I believe is PS5 only.

Other contracted studios like Blue point look like they are all in on PS5. Not sure on others second party projects.

Read my other post. ND devs had nothing to work on after they shipped the last of us 2. Thats why they took over the TLOU remake project by another studio. They dont even know what their next project is. How are they gonna get it out in the next two years?

And if rumors of those second teams releasing games in 2023 were true, we would be seeing them getting revealed at a big conference here in June. Yet sony seems to be MIA. We will see if they show up at all. Let alone with these second team IPs.
We don't know what Sony's plan is. Kind of silly to worry about Sony's 2023 output all the way in 2021 when a lot can change between then and now, like studio acquisitions, studio collaborations like Bend and ND were going to do for Uncharted, etc.
Games like Spiderman 2, Bend's new IP, and maybe Santa Monica's new IP could appear in 2023.
That's only 3 there should be a lot more.
Sony and some of their first party devs said the purpose of the PS5 was to make development easier and greatly reduce AAA production time
Let's see how much the PS5 really cuts down game development time.
2-3 years instead of 3-5 years?
We'll see
In terms of ND, that's what has been reported but none of us know what ND's real plans are.
2024 would be really late for a ND IP but COVID
If they make 2023 and it only takes them 2-3 years then we know the PS5 really does cut down dev time.

Last edited:
Why care about this? But I voted "some games". I mean, the PS4 will be 10 years old in 2013 and its tech will be like 13 years old...so unless those games releasing on PS5 in 2023 are able to run on a similar-spec PC (close to PS4) by the year they release on PC, that is, which would be 2024 at the earliest, then no you won't have cross-gen games. Imagine minimum PC requirements in 2024 and there's your answer.

The only game Sony was releasing on PS3 3 years into the PS4's lifespan was MLB the Show. Launch adjusted PS5 is actually outselling PS4 despite the shortages, so I don't see a reason for them to cling to cross-gen releases for longer this time around.

mejin

Eh I have been hearing this for over a decade now. I will believe it when I see it.

If Sony had so many games they would be doing an E3 conference and showing them off. As of right now, it looks like they will be skipping a June conference because they have nothing to show after a pretty decent showing from their first and second party last year. (Horizon, Ratchet, Miles, GT7, and Demon Souls)

Sure, fair enough. But even you can't deny Sony WWS is improving gen after gen. Their organization is just better now than in 2013. 2020 was crazy with several games being published by Sony.

The fact that you only know the 10 games they announced last year is a clear evidence they have a lot to be revealed. Even "insiders" don't know shit.

I mean just because they didn't make events showing CGs and say: "Hey, wait till 2023 and beyond and we'll have games for you" doesn't mean they are not working.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sure, fair enough. But even you can't deny Sony WWS is improving gen after gen. Their organization is just better now than in 2013. 2020 was crazy with several games being published by Sony.

The fact that you only know the 10 games they announced last year is a clear evidence they have a lot to be revealed. Even "insiders" don't know shit.

I mean just because they didn't make events showing CGs and say: "Hey, wait till 2023 and beyond and we'll have games for you" doesn't mean they are not working.
I dont think they are improving tbh. Their output quality has definitely improved but their quantity has drastically gone down. In 2009 for example, they launched KZ2, Uncharted 2, Infamous 1 with multiple second party games like Ratchet Crack in Time and Demon Souls. A year before that they had Socom, Motorstorm Pacific Rift and multiple third and second party exclusives in MGS4 and Resitance 2. Two years after 2009, all studios turned around to give us sequels. uncharted 3, KZ3, Infamous 2 Resistance 3, Motorstorm Apocalypse, LBP2, Socom 4. Now thats a lineup.

What does sony have this year in 2021 if Horizon gets delayed to next year? Ratchet and Returnal? Death Loop will be there only third party exclusive which is depressing next to stuff from insomniac, From Software and MGS4. And it's on PC so not even a real exclusive. Looks cross gen so not even a real next gen game. If you remove returnal and Death Loop, Sony WW would have a total of 1 game this year. That's not good organization from Sony WW studios. Hell, if they dont buy Insomniac last year, they would have zero first party games in 2021. That's awful. In 2022, they would have three games. All cross gen. Thats awful organization.

This isnt new either. Their had some rough years in the PS4 era. In 2015, they got bailed out by From Software. Only PS4 exclusives that year were Bloodborne, Order and Until Dawn. No first party games that year. Then after two good years, 2018 had just one first party game in GoW. Detroit, SoTC and Spiderman were third and second party exclusives. In 2019, they had just one first party game. Days Gone. Kojima bailed them out.

Notice the pattern? Lots of empty years with third parties bailing them out. And what did they do? They let From get away. They are too big for an acquisition or exclusives. They let Ready At Dawn get bought out. They cut ties with Quantic Dream. Bluepoint and Kojima are rumored to be working with microsoft or talking with Microsoft. Supermassive is doing third party games like the Dark Anthology. Why? They should all be working on sony IPs right now or be getting bought out by Sony.

Last edited:
There's so many PS4 owners, Sony would be dumb to not release every game going forward on PS4, sure maybe they could do some of the smaller games, but there's no way they any of their heavy hitters exclusive to PS5. At least that was the logic I heard for Bethesda games still going to release on PS5, so I assume that must be the common consensus around here?

In all seriousness, I hope not, even having a PS4 and not getting a PS5 for a few years I'm disappointed in Horizon and God of War being cross gen, the SSD and way better CPU of this gen actually allows for the biggest changes in fundamental game design in multiple generations, it's impossible to use the PS5 (or XSX/XSS) to it's fullest while also making PS4/One versions of those games. So Any cross gen game, especially something like God of War which isn't releasing until 2022, is holding back gaming imo

martino

depends of type of game and game design..
but if nothing shake the AAA formulas we have since 2 gen now you will be able to do amazing looking but static games scalable to previous gen even 10 years from now whatever the exclusivity/platform context.

MastaKiiLA

Some will. There are some games just starting development now, that won't finish until 2023, or later. There will also be some specific games that just make sense to release on multiple platforms, especially if the PS4 userbase is still buying lots of software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom