• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Manhunt 3 can happen in todays climate?

Do you think Manhunt 3 can happen in todays climate?

• yes

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • no

Votes: 57 65.5%
  • maybe

Votes: 6 6.9%

• Total voters
Both Manhunt games gained so much notoriety due to extreme violence portrayed in the game. Manhunt is outright banned in some countries.
So do you think it's possible that a game violent and graphic as Manhunt is, succeed in todays day and age? Comercially and critically?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Sadly, no but it absolutely should. Manhunt 2 was fine but the original Manhunt was a cult classic. Loved that game. Shame Rockstar lost their balls after San Andreas. Oh well.

K.S v2.0

Banned

Kacho

Oh yeah. Ultra gore is fine and Rockstar doesn’t give a fuck. It’s unfortunate their projects are so big now, since it doesn’t leave room for smaller projects like Manhunt and State of Emergency.

Bartski

Gold Member
What do you mean by "today's climate"?
The problem might be today's graphics fidelity combined with the "message" and the motivation given to the player if key themes of the new Manhunt should stay true to the franchise.

I don't see the point unless it's extremely dark and violent and borderline AO, but then having to water it down to sell in on mainstream platforms, like they did with Manhunt 2, is a difficult balance.

I'd love to see it happen as a niche AA Rockstar side project if they don't know what to do with all this GTA Online money

EDIT: Also, violence in Mortal Kombat is a meme, it's goofy, cartoony and exaggerated and I don't think it's a good reference here

Last edited:

kretos

Banned
I hope so, with vr option too

tenor.gif

Blond

Banned
Is Manhunt really that different from The Last of Us Part 2?

Manhunt definitely found it’s equal. Manhunt 2? To be fair, had a MUCH different tone and the context changed completely, especially with Leo basically encouraging you to murder people. The uncut version was a doozy!

Lots of weird triggered posts in here, but whatever.

My answer is no and not because of any stupid anti-woke bs. I just simply don’t think anyone is really interested in a super grim and sadistic stealth game at the moment.

Last edited:

Life

Developing games like Manhunt will be even easier in the near future - we'll probably get indie shit that's downright illegal - but people will share it regardless and it'll gain underground popularity.

baphomet

Of course it could.

It's Running Man the game.

We have games where you literally kill as many innocent civilians and cops as possible that sell.

Of course it could.

It's Running Man the game.

We have games where you literally kill as many innocent civilians and cops as possible that sell.
You're talking about hatred. But here's the problem. Hatred was developed by an indie studio and I think Hatred didn't sell more then 500k copies. If even that. But that's success for an indie studio.
But for a huge company like Rockstar, half a mil copies sold is nothing.

Pallas

Gold Member
I think it can, I mean I said this once already but we got games like Agony out but it seems like most publishers are chicken shits.

You’d need a small publisher who isn’t afraid of the potential media backlash.

baphomet

You're talking about hatred. But here's the problem. Hatred was developed by an indie studio and I think Hatred didn't sell more then 500k copies. If even that. But that's success for an indie studio.

500k isnt super far off from what the Manhunt games sold. Not to mention Manhunt was on significantly more platforms. Plus they're cheaper to develop than everything else Rockstar makes.

It could definitely be done today, but after Manhunt 2 I don't even think I'd want Rockstar making it.

Makariel

It's still a success, considering the budget the game had. You just asked in the OP if a game like that can be a success, and the answer is clearly: yes. Now you're just moving goalposts.

Fredrik

It’s more likely that an overly violent game will get greenlit than an overly peaceful game.
Both gamers and developers are desensitized for violence and the bar for what’s acceptable is constantly pushed up and worse violence is needed to get a reaction.

Phobos Base

My point exactly.

'Members when MK9 was banned in a number of countries coz the violence was too much? I 'members...

That level of violence is 'pfft absolutely nothing, doesn't even rate PG-13 anymore' today.

I'm glad they made a point of ensuring the female characters didn't wear skimpy outfits though. Because smashing a woman's face into the ground or tearing her limbs off is absolutely fine, just as long as you can't see her midriff or cleavage.

Portugeezer

Yes, but with today's visuals... No thanks (never played the series, I just assume it's about hunting people down for the sake of it)

Pass Passing GIF

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Of course it can, we largely don't give a flying fuck about violence in games any more.

There's a straight-up interactive torture sequence in GTA V, a game from over 7 years ago.

K.S v2.0

Banned
No, because TLOU2 does not incentivize executing people in increasingly inventive and sadistic ways which is what Manhunt is about, especially the sequel. It is extremely violent and realistic, but the motivation given to the player is totally different

Totally disagree!

After Joel-In-One™, me and my buddy spent the next 2 hours murdering (suiciding) Abby in as many different ways as we could before uninstalling the game. Unsurprisingly it was more fun finding different ways to get it killed than to actually progress in the game.

JCK75

What's strange is Manhunt was mostly opposed by right wing church goers, I feel like today the rejection from the new puritans which is the hard left... unless all of the victims have on MAGA hats.

Top Bottom