• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think PSVR2 will catapult VR into the mainstream?

Do you think the PSVR2 will outsell the Quest 2?

• Total voters

Ozriel

M$FT
Quest 2 already catapulted VR to the mainstream

It’s highly unlikely PSVR2 will outsell the Oculus Quest line, tbh. Also strong competition from Valve’s upcoming self contained AMD powered headset.

Fredrik

Quest 2 already catapulted VR to the mainstream
I don’t see it, I just know a handful of people who own a Quest 2 and most have stopped using it. It’ll fall on software support. Bigger devs still don’t dare to fully invest, all we get is small budget games.
I’m just about to jump in on Moss Book 2, slightly higher budget game released without anyone even talking about it, I only found out it was released from a Meta mail.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I believe by the time the PSVR3 comes, with other competition like quest VR headsets, then it will hit big levels. Probably when Nintendo join in too

PSVR2 and the currently wireless one I see advertising are like the start of commercial VR

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The motion sickness problem needs to be completely eliminated first.

Ita why I think AR will be mainstream before VR.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
It won't - and that's fine. It will not see adoption rates of guitar hero or rock band. It'll find a following outside of the hard-core, but interest group will not be magnitudes larger than that, and I suspect even a lot of the hard core won't be interested in adopting.

So in the ballpark of 10-30 million over its entire lifetime, depending on library of games.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
AR is where things will truly explode
This distinction doesn't actually exist - or at best, it's 100% a software question.
Both Quest 2 and PSVR2 are noticeably better AR devices than any dedicated AR headset I've tested to date (especially including Hololens).

What you 'might' be saying is 'light-weight wearable HMDs' is when things will truly explode - but that's neither AR or VR specific, everyone wants it - tech just takes time to get there (and it's till a long ways away).

Ita why I think AR will ve mainstream before VR.
See above. Also AR as a concept doesn't actually eliminate motion sickness. It's staying tethered to 'room-scale' that does, but that again, is neither AR/VR specific.

then it will die. it's not worth more than 250 to begin with, and needing a 500€ console to use it on top of that would be a fucking disaster
It's a challenging proposition. The leap in fidelity is substantial (compared to anything on the market today), and we have headsets that still cost into thousands (or close to) that occupy the high-end right now. And I don't disagree with you that lower-price is needed for penetration, but the other side of it is that they may not want to be directly compared to Quest class of hardware (and 250 would be even lower price than that). The value proposition is just different.
I think if they can pull off the 'nearly seamless' development for flat vs. VR on AAA products (which is where PSVR already had an edge, albeit slight, against other HMD libraries), that alone would generate enough traction to keep it differentiated and supported regardless of entry price. Not a likely mainstream breakout though, agreed.

Drizzlehell

Banned
As much as I enjoy VR, it's still too expensive and too unwieldy to be like this casual gaming platform. Most people probably won't care enough to deal with the hassle. The relatively small library of casual and easy to get into games that make good use of this tech, plus the market split between a bunch of different headsets, some of which hold the best titles hostage to them, doesn't help either.

Last edited:

Ita why I think AR will be mainstream before VR.
Correctly made software doesn't provoke motion sickness. It's entirely a game/experience design problem, not a hardware problem. It was a hardware problem back when the hardware simply wasn't good enough (low framerate, shit FOV), but we've been past that point for several years now.

mxbison

Nope.

Too big. Too expensive. Requires a Ps5. Tethered.

VR goes mainstream when it’s stand alone, looks and feels like a light pair of glasses, is under £200, and streams high fidelity VR right from the cloud.

So phones, consoles, PC, TV, monitors etc. can all be way more expensive but a stand alone VR headset needs to be under $200?

I never really get that argument. Quest 2 is already pretty cheap.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
So phones, consoles, PC, TV, monitors etc. can all be way more expensive but a stand alone VR headset needs to be under $200?

I never really get that argument. Quest 2 is already pretty cheap.

A stand alone VR headset that uses cloud streaming will not require anything like the hardware inside it that those things do, so it'll be far cheaper to manufacture and sell. In fact, it can't have all that hardware, because that's what makes it too heavy and cumbersome.

VR is never going mainstream all the time you essentially have to strap a video games console to the front of your head to play it.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Correctly made software doesn't provoke motion sickness. It's entirely a game/experience design problem, not a hardware problem. It was a hardware problem back when the hardware simply wasn't good enough (low framerate, shit FOV), but we've been past that point for several years now.
This. I was always prone to extreme motion sickness ever since I was a kid and it never really went away but even for me most modern VR titles aren't a problem at all.

However, some titles can still trigger a pretty violent reaction, mostly the older ones. Like when I fired up Elite Dangerous and literally vomited less than 2 minutes in. It entirely depends on the game, although I'm not sure what are the exact factors.

Mithos

Mainstream NO.
I mean mainstream people do not even want to wear a "Steelseries" sized headset/headphones, they want their "air pod" sized ones.
Good luck getting them to want/wear these bulky VR-headsets.

And also price, because its an addon ontop of the initial $/€500 console purchase.

Sosokrates

This distinction doesn't actually exist - or at best, it's 100% a software question.
Both Quest 2 and PSVR2 are noticeably better AR devices than any dedicated AR headset I've tested to date (especially including Hololens).

What you 'might' be saying is 'light-weight wearable HMDs' is when things will truly explode - but that's neither AR or VR specific, everyone wants it - tech just takes time to get there (and it's till a long ways away).

See above. Also AR as a concept doesn't actually eliminate motion sickness. It's staying tethered to 'room-scale' that does, but that again, is neither AR/VR specific.

It's a challenging proposition. The leap in fidelity is substantial (compared to anything on the market today), and we have headsets that still cost into thousands (or close to) that occupy the high-end right now. And I don't disagree with you that lower-price is needed for penetration, but the other side of it is that they may not want to be directly compared to Quest class of hardware (and 250 would be even lower price than that). The value proposition is just different.
I think if they can pull off the 'nearly seamless' development for flat vs. VR on AAA products (which is where PSVR already had an edge, albeit slight, against other HMD libraries), that alone would generate enough traction to keep it differentiated and supported regardless of entry price. Not a likely mainstream breakout though, agreed.

Well the thread says "will PSVR make VR mainstream"

Not VR/AR.

I don't think PSVR will push AR into mainstream either because it does not seem to be a focus for the product.

I really wish tech companies would try harder to develop AR.
I would like a pair of glasses with a tv show always on in my Peripheral vision, its like the next evolution from podcasts lol.

U0q622j.gif

STARSBarry

Gold Member
It really depends on price and unless it'd sub £300 it's certainly not going to do it.

Don't get me wrong I am sure it will be a fantastic experience for owners, but its not a standalone piece of kit, it's an accessory to an already expensive piece if hardware.

Haggard

Banned
The main issues with the hardware will still be unsovled, namely movement and cables.
And you`d need some major investements on the software side to make more people want to try it at all.
HL Alyx is still pretty much in a class of its own.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Probably 10 years away from anything that will potentially go mainstream and it will be a small standalone device people will use to watch sports and live entertainment like concerts that will propel it.
It’s really going to blow your mind to find out that already exists for just $200.

Nautilus

Banned
As long as the VR headset doesn't come with the base hardware(In other words, as essencial as a normal controller, being part of the core of the product) it won't.As long as it remains an after thought, it won't

There is too many problems with it as it is. The main one is the one mentioned before, but other than that:Steep price, health problems, few killer games, tech is still very limited, etc.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Psvr2 will be atleast 400 if not 500 and then you need a ps5. And a Quest 1-2 is completely standalone. They could sell 10-20 million units, but sadly it will never be mainstream.completely

hlm666

It’s really going to blow your mind to find out that already exists for just $200.
The oculus go isn't what I would call small form factor, I was talking smaller form factors. Something like the HTC flow but all contained in the hmd without the phone brick hanging off it to run it. Then to make it mainstream I was implying content being available like for example being able to watch sport live in VR from multiple camera angles around the field/circuit like your standing there where traditional cameras would be the same time as the live broadcast. Meta could probably sell a bunch of quests and go's by just doing this with something like the surperbowl or fifa finals right now. Although again to make it mainstream form factor and screens are still going to need improvements, people wont want any of the distortion current lens and screen cause.

skit_data

For the right price; yes. If it’s like ridiculously cheap for what you get ($300 or less).
If it’s priced too expensive ($500+) it won’t take off even among PS5 owners tbh.

I think it will be $400 and do decently sales wise, probably more than PSVR1 but it will still only reach 1/6 PS5 owners. If it has PC support, it will be a whole other thing and if it has PC support I can see it doing pretty big numbers.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Then to make it mainstream I was implying content being available like for example being able to watch sport live in VR from multiple camera angles around the field/circuit like your standing there where traditional cameras would be the same time as the live broadcast.
You can watch NBA games from courtside seats on the Quest and they do concerts all the time.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
It’s still a high-cost, tethered, add-on accessory without AAA support.
I'm personally not convinced AAA is the most likely avenue to get mainstream adoption. Oculus managed to generate true system sellers on the back of mostly smaller productions (there was one or two AAA-like exceptions, but even those were VR budget AAAs - so still different scale).
PSVR was the only headset that had true AAAs to begin with - and while they generated a lot of buzz, it's unclear whether that was really moving the needle or not (possibly it was and they just lacked volume/throughput, but we just don't have enough data here yet). But it seems clear to me that Sony intends to make a harder push into that strategy, so they will definitely have the bigger throughput of AAAs coming - so if your hypothesis about AAA support holds, that may yet validate it.

Well the thread says "will PSVR make VR mainstream"
Yea fair enough - I kind of just get triggered with the AR being treated as something uniquely different when the only unique thing it really had (inside-out tracking&cameras) is now the preferred VR standard too. May well be that VR as a concept disappears overtime and all we do is different flavors of 'AR' but it's semantics at that point.

I would like a pair of glasses with a tv show always on in my Peripheral vision, its like the next evolution from podcasts lol.
I'll be honest - as a big proponent of the medium, that specific example is something of an existential nightmare scenario, not a desired end state. But I also know it's almost inevitable at this point :/

The main issues with the hardware will still be unsovled, namely movement and cables.
Well one of those is where there's actual improvements being made for the first time in 6 years - but we'll see how it lands.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
No chance, but all I hope for is that it makes money for Sony and I respect them for still pushing it.

I love VR but it won't be mainstream from psvr2.

Quest 3 or 4 may be the tipping point......maybe.

Holammer

I doubt it'll ever get mainstream at all and remain a niche product. The bulk of gaming will be done on television or monitors till we learn how jack into the optic nerve, ask me about VR then.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Nope, the stand-alone quest is peak Vr and that still isn't that great.

Matt_Fox

OP, your opening monologue makes it sound like everything is coming up roses for VR.

Reality is Meta Reality Labs posted $10 billion in losses for 2021. With Oculus they are selling ten pound notes for a fiver. If you think that's a business model which will 'go mainstream' then good luck.

I'd love to say that burning through all that money has resulted in some incredible VR games but... the bargain bin shovelware crap continues. They dont care about VR gaming, its a new iteration of Second Life that they're banking on.

Ansphn

Yes. VR will be the biggest form of entertainment/communication within 20 years. Imagine entering a VR world to experience games,movies, music and events. Everything is already going digital and the pandemic took it to another level. The technology will be get there by PS7.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PSVR was the bible in the virtual reality world, the games I told you are the gap between PSVR and the second best virtual reality headset and for some reason microsoft or nintendo fanboys don't want to hear about VR hmmm I have no problem with resident evil 7 vr, firewall etc. psvr has had a hiatus sony has set out realistic expectations.

Sosokrates

I'm personally not convinced AAA is the most likely avenue to get mainstream adoption. Oculus managed to generate true system sellers on the back of mostly smaller productions (there was one or two AAA-like exceptions, but even those were VR budget AAAs - so still different scale).
PSVR was the only headset that had true AAAs to begin with - and while they generated a lot of buzz, it's unclear whether that was really moving the needle or not (possibly it was and they just lacked volume/throughput, but we just don't have enough data here yet). But it seems clear to me that Sony intends to make a harder push into that strategy, so they will definitely have the bigger throughput of AAAs coming - so if your hypothesis about AAA support holds, that may yet validate it.

Yea fair enough - I kind of just get triggered with the AR being treated as something uniquely different when the only unique thing it really had (inside-out tracking&cameras) is now the preferred VR standard too. May well be that VR as a concept disappears overtime and all we do is different flavors of 'AR' but it's semantics at that point.

I'll be honest - as a big proponent of the medium, that specific example is something of an existential nightmare scenario, not a desired end state. But I also know it's almost inevitable at this point :/

Well one of those is where there's actual improvements being made for the first time in 6 years - but we'll see how it lands.

Why is it a nightmare scenario?

People watch TV while doing house chores and stuff.
I dont have a tv in my kitchen so i prop my phone up and watch shows on it while doing the washing up/cooking.

Having an AR system the size of a Google glass but the virtual screen mapping tech of like the Microsoft hololens would be great.

Last edited:

Romulus

I think it will 2-3x PSVR1s sales. Nothing incredible, but good. But, I do think there will be a few games that will be above and beyond anything you can play on normal PS5/XSX or PC/VR. When the technology is good enough for incredible developers to shine, they will. PSVR1 wasn't. PSVR2 is essentially the opposite situation in terms of technology and Sony Studios are just fantastic, but they didn't want to work with PSVR1 understandably.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Yes, I do think PSVR2 will catapult VR into the mainstream.
Meta probably isn't investing in VR as much as they're investing in AR headsets that aim to replace / enhance the smartphone. 2023 is definitely going to be the year of AR headsets with at least Apple, Meta and Google launching their hardware (probably Samsung too with Microsoft's Hololens software / OS).

VR is much better suited for gaming than anything else, and Sony will be focused on that. Moreover the PSVR2 headset will probably be compatible with PC systems, with the advantage of it being substantially cheaper than other PC-only headsets due to economy of scale.

It’s still a high-cost, tethered, add-on accessory without AAA support.
There's already a Horizon game announced exclusively for PSVR2, and word on the street says most of Sony's 1st-party games will have PSVR2 modes akin to the one in Hellblade, i.e. no VR-only gameplay but with ability to follow the 3rd-person character gameplay in VR.

I can’t see any difference in Sony’s strategy over the first PSVR. I’m not expecting a different result.
There's already huge difference in convenience (single-cable, no additional setup, no HDMI TV splitter, etc.) and performance with foveated rendering + eye tracking. Foveated rendering + eye tracking can probably enable developers to render at the exact same settings as the games' 60FPS performance mode which simplifies the process of including a VR mode.

Last edited:
Top Bottom