• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think that proprietary game engines have answers to UE5's Nanite? Do they need to?

Kuranghi

It would be great if they did but I'm fine with the current model fidelity but with much more advanced physics, Nanite will impress for a good while until you realise its all static again.

So I'm more excited to see what the new UE5 physics (Chaos I think its called?) will do for interaction, if I had to choose I'd go with better physics/interaction over Nanite 9/10, depending on what type of game it is because a few games don't really need that interaction and would benefit much more from ultra detail instead.

Thinking of some of the great game engines like:

Snowdrop
Anvil
Disrupt
RAGE
Naughty Dogs engine
Frostbite
Ignite

Do you think they are working on the equivalent of Nanite, or alternatives. Do you think Nanite has impressed them, made them worried?

Nanite should be acessible and easier to use. Many different customers, including non-game companies.

Proprietary engines like RE Engine are exclusive for Capcom developers. Maybe more hard code, less "mouse drag tool". But i guess we will see same interesting implementation on these engines.

4A games for example has awesome illumination implementations on 4A Engine.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Some *may* be working on an answer but most aren't IMO. This tech has been years into the making. Not every developer is going to make a graphics engine as robust as Epic's. Tbh, I don't think there will be many games at all this generation that uses this kind of tech. Remember Epic had showed SVOGI and had to pull back on producing it because of so many problems? That was almost 2 generations ago. And Nvidia released it in their dev kit and it was only used in a handful of games IIRK.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

It would be great if they did but I'm fine with the current model fidelity but with much more advanced physics, Nanite will impress for a good while until you realise its all static again.

So I'm more excited to see what the new UE5 physics (Chaos I think its called?) will do for interaction, if I had to choose I'd go with better physics/interaction over Nanite 9/10, depending on what type of game it is because a few games don't really need that interaction and would benefit much more from ultra detail instead.
Agreed. Physics and much more fluid and physics based animations across all genres would be a big step to me. Those aspects have been neglected far too long now. Along with AI too.

reezoo

Most of the proprietary engines will have some variation of nanite and lumen. Every hardware generation enables new techniques for rendering this seems to be doing good with GI, virtualized resources (thanks to fast SSDs) and ray tracing.

Examples from last gen are physically based rendering, probers based GI etc.

Last edited:

Lethal01

No and Yes.

Nanite meshes already work together with the chaos physics engine, they are rigid, not static. Nanite will lead to more interesting physics not less.
On top of that Epic fully intends for it to be working with deformable and transparent meshes, remember this is only the early access version.

Neo_game

Yes, they keep making improvement to their engine for new hardware. As others said they have their own pros and cons. I do not think we need all the game using the same engine. Though just like UE4, UE5 might be very popular among devs this gen.

truth411

Snowdrop
Anvil
Disrupt
RAGE
Naughty Dogs engine
Frostbite
Ignite

Do you think they are working on the equivalent of Nanite, or alternatives. Do you think Nanite has impressed them, made them worried?
Generally speaking only Sony 1st party engines will surpass Unreal. They did with U3 Back in PS3.
They did with U4 during PS4.
They will with U5 with PS5.

Thats one of the benefits of developing with only 1 platform/target in mind.

Im expecting the first real showcase to be God Of War.
My Guesstimate:
Focus on taking advantage of the SSD, 6 priority levels, I/O throughput.
Oodle Kraken and Oodle Texture Kraken, which provides an unexpected speed up in I/O throughput. (Note: Since Epic bought Rad game tools Oodle kraken will be a part of U5)
Focus on the PS5 GPU cache scrubbers which makes the GPU more efficient with importing and exporting data. (Also it reduces the burden on Memory Bandwidth, I read a paper on it last year I think)
Focus on PS5 Geometry Engine (This is where alot of the PS5 performance is at, but Sony haven't had a deep dive yet) they will definitely be skipping LODs, use Virtual Geometry and Virtual Textures.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Capcom put it work with RE Engine this last gen. I'm sure they will be fine. Interested in seeing their first game using it made for the next gen only.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Logically Sony ICE team would have something similar cooking. Cerny with the PS5 I/o design can’t be a coincidence. The setup is for the long game.

Other engines will do their own, really impressive things. I can’t wait to see what ND, Remedy, or Rockstar can do with new tech. Engines all have their strengths. Same as always.
Yeah, in house engines will definitely be updated to do similar.

Three

Snowdrop
Anvil
Disrupt
RAGE
Naughty Dogs engine
Frostbite
Ignite

Not for those engines. I do find it strange though that MS now owns a fairly famous engine but is using unreal.

Kuranghi

Nanite meshes already work together with the chaos physics engine, they are rigid, not static. Nanite will lead to more interesting physics not less.
On top of that Epic fully intends for it to be working with deformable and transparent meshes, remember this is only the early access version.

I'm saying I would prefer other engines to prioritise better physics before implementing nanite style mesh rendering into their engines.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Seems Sony has it in a hardware-level. Primitive shaders inside the geometry engines. Seems to help accelerate Nanite on a hardware level as well instead of only software+CPU.

image.png
image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

All of that before going to the rendering pipeline. So should be available on every dev-kit, but of course engines should be tweaked to. Seems would work with any engine in the future.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member

Snowdrop
Anvil
Disrupt
RAGE
Naughty Dogs engine
Frostbite
Ignite

OP would you kindly add DECIMA engine to that list

Snowdrop
Anvil
Disrupt
RAGE
Naughty Dogs engine
Frostbite
Ignite

Nanite is nothing without Lumen, they go hand in hand.

yurinka

I think they will implement it somewhere in the future once they start to make next gen only games. As of now and during 2 (maybe even 3 years more) they will continue releasing their games in in previous gen consoles (+sometimes Switch) and PCs with HDD or too slow SSDs+I/O, and games will be made considering the limitations of these old systems that for the next couple of years or so will continue being a very important part of the market, so won't be able to take full advantage of next gen stuff like the one seen in Nanite in these games if they don't want make the old gen versions look too bad.

But yes, not tomorrow but they will take advantage of hardware accelerated primitive/mesh shaders and insanely fast SSD+related I/O on their next gen engines.

Outside Nanite, the other big main UE5 feature is Lumen. I think they will also implement better, more realistic lighting than in the current gen with stuff like proper global illumination, volumetric lighting and reflections. And we may see that faster than Nanite because it's way easier for them to replace the lighting stuff for next gen stuff.

Proper lighting will make things look way more natural and realistic.

Last edited:

Dolomite

Decima will still manage better character models and cleaner animation IMO because they are blood magic satanist of developers, but they aren't answering the LOD, Mip Mapping or GI solutions offered by UE5. Other than them, I'd guess frostbite can give Epic a run. We'll see after E3's BF Gameplay

Astral Dog

I expect great things from REngine, its evolution is impressive from RE7 to REmake 3, DMC V and VILLAGE(even Switch!)

tenor.gif

Astral Dog

Usually proprietary engines impress more, so I would assume developers on a proprietary engine will be able to do more on their respective engines.
Kind of, i still think Square Enix got lucky with UE4, Kingdom Hearts and FFVII turned out well, their own while impressive was such a mess their employees didn't want to use it anymore lol

Platinum is making a new customized engine because they tried UE4 and thought it lacked some tools for their action games

Top Bottom