• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think that with such an insanely busy release schedule for the end of the year, some of the upcoming games are destined to flop?

Drizzlehell

Banned
And which ones are going to flop?

My biggest concern right now is for Alan Wake 2. The first game also underperformed and as a result, this sequel lingered in development hell for far too long because there simply wasn't enough interest and Remedy had to keep picking up other projects instead. With the original game currently being a cult classic at best, appreciated only by a smaller but devoted fan base, it feels like it's not gonna do well. Especially when sandwiched in between such highly anticipated games like Starfield, Assassin's Creed, Spider-Man 2, and a few others.

I was just looking at the release calendar for the next 3 months, and the only thing that I could think of is: "wow, I am so not gonna have any time to play these when they come out."

My main focus will probably be on Starfield for a good long while (unless it's gonna suck ass), and then maybe I will also check out the expansion for Cyberpunk 2077 since I'm really curious about that one too. But games like Forza, Spider-Man, Lords of The Fallen, Assassin's Creed, Alan Wake 2, MGS Collection, Modern Warfare III, Avatar... all of that stuff will end up directly on my wishlist, to be picked up sometime next year when it's on sale.

RagnarokIV

Day one is RoboCop on PC / Metal Gear Collection on PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox / MWIII on PC

Don't care about the other crap but I'm pretty sure Alan Wake 2 is going to flop big time. Too long since the last, and the competition is too much.

Gandih42

I barely know any people who play games other than Counter-Strike, Call of Duty, FIFA, Rocket League, LoL. I sometimes wonder where the hell the people who buy games outside of the very very VERY mainstream are.

From my own experience, almost every game should flop. I don't even contribute much, only game from this year I've finished is FFXVI. And I'm doing a second playthrough on that while cruising through ToTK, and THEN I can go back to Octopath 2. Not sure I'll be buying any other new games this year, despite so many cool ones coming out.

I personally think Alan Wake will be OK. At least they should have a pretty good idea of how much they can spend, based on how Control performed. I'd be more concerned for smaller Devs. The critical reception for Atlas Fallen doesn't look great for Deck13 but I hope they'll bounce back. I also wonder how big demand for AssCreed still is, Ubisoft seems like they could use a winner.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I don't think that the games that will flop will do so because of the number of games out in the next few months. It will never get as crowled as it was in the PS2 and older eras, and good games were still finding their audience back then. Some games will not have their merits recognised as they should, yes. But a good game will in my opinion find fans, no matter what. Worse case is games like Horizon, who simply get overshadowed by a true masterpiece, or games like Alpha protocol, Mad Max... who do not have the marketing that they deserved. For me Armored Core 6 will be before Starfield. For some the other way. Others will wait for Spiderman 2 ... Great year, and in the next one we will be able to play some of those games for cheap.

Dr_Ifto

Alan Wake for sure. I have a feeling helldivers is gonna take a hit and not do gangbusters due to being right between so many bangers. AC mirage i feel will be the same.

helldivers was rumored for october/November release

Last edited:

Denton

Games are already flopping. Atlas Fallen has 2000 player peak.
Shadow Gambit is also likely not gonna sell great right away.
Yes, in the competition against BG3, Starfield and Cyberpunk, lot of smaller games are gonna be worse off than they would be otherwise.
Alan Wake 2 is not gonna sell great, but I am sure Sweeney is fine with that.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I don't think that the games that will flop will do so because of the number of games out in the next few months. It will never get as crowled as it was in the PS2 and older eras, and good games were still finding their audience back then. Some games will not have their merits recognised as they should, yes. But a good game will in my opinion find fans, no matter what. Worse case is games like Horizon, who simply get overshadowed by a true masterpiece, or games like Alpha protocol, Mad Max... who do not have the marketing that they deserved. For me Armored Core 6 will be before Starfield. For some the other way. Others will wait for Spiderman 2 ... Great year, and in the next one we will be able to play some of those games for cheap.
Oh god, I forgot about AC6 too, which I wanted to check out. At least it'll be out a few weeks before Starfield so maybe I could give it some time during that window.

Fbh

Yeah for sure.
The average person doesn't have the time and money (or willingness to spend the money) to spend on so many games in such a short amount of time. Gaming is one of my main hobbies but I still have like 3 games to catch up to this year and the rest of the year is already packed with even more stuff I want to play (AC6, Sea of Stars, Baldur's Gate 3 Ps5, Alan Wake 2, etc)

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yeah I always found odd that most publisher would seem to absolutely want to release in the last 4 to 3 months of the year all competing with eachother, sure christmas might get them some good sales but does it guarantee it enough to go face to face with everyhting that comes out this period?

MiguelItUp

I could see it happening, maybe not FLOPPING per se, but having technical issues, etc. that hold them back. I mean, we've seen it way too frequently, so I'm sure we'll see it again. I can't help but assume Alone in the Dark or Alan Wake 2 may have some bumps.

With the games I'm genuinely looking forward to, I'm not concerned too much, even if there's not many of them.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Alone in the Dark 2 comes out in October, good to luck to anything coming out after Starfield
Is anyone really hyped for that, though? This franchise has been dead for so many years and the last time it was in any way relevant, it was thanks to a crappy Uwe Boll movie and a terrible reboot game that flopped (and let's not even talk about Illumination because it's better if we pretend that game doesn't exist).

At least it's out of Atari's hands now, so maybe it'll be a nice little game to play for Halloween.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
The original Alan Wake was one of my favourites.

I love the tone of both Quantum Break and especially Control, but found neither much fun to play. I'll probably sit AW2 out until later on.

TBH, with Starfield on the horizon and my TOTK playthrough very much in progress, I'm not sure if I'll be playing anything but those two. I might get AC6 if it reviews really well.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Alone in the Dark and Alan Wake 2. Alan Wake 2 deserves a better release date, lol.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Alan Wake 2 is misplaced but I will prolly still buy it if the reviews say it‘s good. Been hoping for this since the first one underperformed.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Alan Wake 2 is for sure in October right?

If it’s as good as advertised, live streamers and word of mouth(due to it being a scary game) will help make sure it does alright.
Yes, it's in October. I'm really tempted to pick this up right away because I really liked the first game, and the gameplay trailer looked pretty cool too.

Top Bottom