• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think the Steam Deck is going to revolutionize the handheld gaming industry?

Will the Steam Deck revolutionize handheld gaming?

• Total voters

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
It’s a fantastic machine from a hardware point of view but I don’t see it taking over the handheld market simply because who is the target market for this?

You need to have a need for mobility AND not be satisfied with the much cheaper options of a Switch or mobile games if you’re into this. I commute an hour every day and sure it’d be nice to play Ys IX at 60 fps instead of 20 but I can’t justify the investment.

The other « issue » is that the PC games I enjoy are games like Civ or Stellaris which need KBM and a lot of screen space to work.

But that’s just a guess, I didn’t do market research or anything.
Switch doesn't offer as much games as Steam Deck. Its also more versatile, in which you can connect to keyboard and mouse and has non-gaming applications too.

I have a Switch, Razer Kishi and Retroid Pocket 2. Will be adding SD to my collection

ArtHands

Who would buy this? Serious question.

If you are a gamer over a certain age, where are you going to be using it? Commute? At home where you most likely have a PC or a console already anyway?

And if you are a younger gamer, you probably haven't even heard of the thing at all.
Same use case as the Switch. I use Nintendo Switch when in train, in bed or when i go to my friend's house
Revolutionize the handheld market? No. Be a niche product that really fits the needs of hardcore gamers? Absolutely. Super powerful handhelds that can play console quality games was done with the Vita and that didn't really sell in droves. Also, with the advent of things like tablet laptops, I don't know if I'd prefer holding a fat handheld versus having a portable computer that I can hook a bluetooth controller up to.
The Vita has no games though.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

If you are a gamer over a certain age, where are you going to be using it? Commute? At home where you most likely have a PC or a console already anyway?

And if you are a younger gamer, you probably haven't even heard of the thing at all.
Who would want a handheld gaming system? Well, a lot of people.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Proton might not support every game but you can install Windows on it and run every PC game that way, and they run the same or better than Proton in most cases as of right now. The revolution is that for $399 you can get a portable machine that can play all PC games which include exclusives from Sony and MS like like God of War, Horizon, Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite, not to mention emulators of old consoles.

As somebody who enjoys portable gaming but doesn't like the Switch, I really find it quite revolutionary.
So again you are saying it will revolutionize the handheld gaming industry because its cheap and can play PC games?

tassletine

No. VR is the medium that will occur on if it hasn't already. Steam Deck is just a delivery system and a minor tweak on what's come before.

The only real revolution in videogames comes from the software.

PhaseJump

Banned
Revolutionize handheld gaming by being console-like with it's UI, subsidized with it's price, and open? Yes. It already has pushed the envelope by talking about the right to repair and replacement parts issue.

SteamOS 3 is as good an simple to use as Switch. I would shake my head at the old SteamOS and Steam Machines for being a mess, but the new design works as well as any console, which negates complexity arguments around PC vs Console.

I've had my fill of bullshit from Nintendo over the years. They have carved out a niche with their Shield Tablet Switch console, catering to families that pick up multiple consoles so the kids stop fighting over it, safe and rock solid games for them, but I had one until I realized they butchered Zelda, and the rest of their games were nothing of interest to me. Like Playstation 4, half of the enthusiasm came from indie games and 3rd party work that ran better on PC. Unlike the Playstation Vita, Valve can better afford to "not" support Deck after release, since it's already open and buried in thousands of potential games. Again, Valve is bringing this new "console" (I would call it a console, due to price and ease of use being finally attained.) in at a cheap price for the performance and features.

There are a lot of angles to consider when judging what the Deck means, or what it will mean in the future. When Nintendo releases a Switch 2, it'll bump up the specs of their own output, but will it be open? No. Will people care? Not really.

Handheld gaming is the dominant force that kept Nintendo alive, it gave ground to Vita and mobile devices in Japan but recaptured ground by their hybrid and streamlined development. Personally, I got rid of my launch Switch after being offered retail price on it after using it to experience trash Zelda. What I wanted out of Switch never came to pass until Metroid Dread showed up, but I don't feel compelled to get their hardware for it. I was going to buy Switch Pro/NotProButOLEDOldThing right before the Deck announcement came out of nowhere. It destroyed that idea completely.

As a Vita customer, it sucked to be one a lot more than PSP. Sony killed any hope of me liking their ecosystem again. As Nintendo dominated, they drought their output and hawk high priced ports of old games, with no online features or any of the bells and whistles.

PC Handhelds are janky imports from companies that are barely worth trusting, and they price above a thousand dollars, so comparisons there are irrelevant. Valve never released their own Steam Machine, and left the OEMs to jack that up and defeat it's own purpose; but now they have the hybrid. They could release a cheap SteamOS 3 Proton game console on an AMD APU tomorrow, and it would be competitive as a console. It's that good now.

So we have console prices, and PC gaming. The Great Satan of anti-PC console warrior arguments that keeps them awake at night. The only thing keeping me awake at night now is the Steam Deck. (Clearly. Look at this post. What am I talking about again? Oh, yeah.)

Steam Deck is the greatest handheld console you can buy. Teenagers and young adults that aren't fundamentally stupid would probably prefer it over Nintendo. Millennials and Gen Xers that hold Nintendo sacred and use them as their childhood security blanket will undoubtedly try to discredit the magnitude of it's presence. PC gaming finally having a cost effective way of ignoring the "companion" console.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

So again you are saying it will revolutionize the handheld gaming industry because its cheap and can play PC games?
Yes. There's never been a handheld that was able to play current gen games, or such a wide slection of games while playing them well and being affordable. Not to mention the well-established and well-received Steam platform for content management. They nailed it, and if they perfect it with future iterations I think it will sell well. i had virtually no interest in handhelds but they managed to make me want one.

nush

Bottom line is, PC games were not developed as portable experiances, it's the same problem Sony fell into twice by making console games portable.

Mobile gaming makes portable experiences and probably more of them and cheaper (Or free).

Steam Deck, great for a niche use case of traditional gamers, for the masses carrying two devices is a no go.

Sophist

future of handheld gaming is in cloud gaming and mobile/tablet devices, they are much more versatile that devices specifically made for gaming like the steam deck. Bluetooth controller + nvidia geforce now give you access to the latest AAA games. mobile SoC are getting more and more capable at graphic computations; M1 SoC is more powerful than the steam deck.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
already backordered in the foreseeable future. Not that you care since you said you ain’t playing on PC

Doesn't mean much, we need to know how many are sold/being sold. It's a niche market, and not comparable to Nintendo. Doesn't mean it's not good, just don't expect crazy sales.

ArtHands

Doesn't mean much, we need to know how many are sold/being sold. It's a niche market, and not comparable to Nintendo. Doesn't mean it's not good, just don't expect crazy sales.
It sell as much as they produce, that's what matter to Valve. Certainly not to you.

future of handheld gaming is in cloud gaming and mobile/tablet devices, they are much more versatile that devices specifically made for gaming like the steam deck. Bluetooth controller + nvidia geforce now give you access to the latest AAA games. mobile SoC are getting more and more capable at graphic computations; M1 SoC is more powerful than the steam deck.
Steam Deck can do cloud gaming and interface with bluetooth controller too.

Bottom line is, PC games were not developed as portable experiances, it's the same problem Sony fell into twice by making console games portable.

Mobile gaming makes portable experiences and probably more of them and cheaper (Or free).

Steam Deck, great for a niche use case of traditional gamers, for the masses carrying two devices is a no go.
That's less of a problem here. PC games offer a wide range of customization for bunch of PC configuration, which means players/developers can scale down to 720p or low setting for portability.

Not to mention that there's already a massive amount of games you can already play on Steam Deck. Developers do not need to create titles specifically for the Steam Deck to get it running

Last edited:

Zug

I don't know, I had a GPD Win 5 years ago that I paid 200€ and could play Dark souls just fine, as well as many other indie games from my Steam and GoG library.
It was also much smaller (Vita like).
On this niche market, there were already many iterations of mini-PCs, and I'm not even sure the Deck is the best of them.
As for the maintream market, Valve needs to try harder if they want to do what Nintendon't.

Fredrik

I think it’s real nice to have a capable handheld gaming system to get some extra time with Elden Ring when I can’t sit at the PC or console for different reasons like kids occupying everything or just being lazy in bed.

kevm3

Same use case as the Switch. I use Nintendo Switch when in train, in bed or when i go to my friend's house

The Vita has no games though.

For the most part, people don't really want console experiences on a handheld like that. PSP was more powerful than whatever Nintendo had out at that time, and while the PSP did relatively good for a handheld, Sony still lost out to Nintendo. With the price of Steam Deck ranging from 350 to 650, it feels out of range for a handheld to do well. You can get a ps5 cheaper than the price of the high end steam deck. While handhelds and consoles don't seem to be directly competing markets, they do affect each other. if you only have $500 to get something are you going to get a nice handheld or are you going to get a 'next gen console'?

I don't know about handheld industry but if the Deck can load windows and let me do everything through a dock to my Home Theater I might just get rid of my old HTPC.

MayauMiao

Mobile phone gaming device already revolutionize handheld gaming. Its more affordable, accessible, and convenient device for gaming. Its too late for Steam Deck to make a huge impact.

Apocryphon

I bought it and have been using it at work. I teach but it's the end of the semester and now we just have meetings and course maintenance shit to do. Being able to chill in a lab between meetings or hide in my office avoiding the cunts I work with while I play Insurgency Sandstorm and BF4 had been delightful.

Battery isn't a strong point and the screen is nowhere near as good as the Switch OLED, and I already have a Switch OLED, but I think about it the same was I thought about the Oculus Dev Kits I bought. It's new and not quite finished, but it's giving me an experience I have pursued for years. My Steam library on the go with few compromises.

The hardware is impressive and I don't think it's too big or heavy, particularly in an age where people sit and play games on iPads. It's about the same size as my Switch OLED with BinBok joycons. It's slightly heavier but I'm hench so no issues. They have some work to do with the OS but it's hard not to be impressed with what they have achieved so far.

I've gone through the original Gameboy, Game Gear, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Advance, DS, PSP, 3DS, Vita, NVIDIA Shield, NVIDIA Shield K1, Switch, and Switch OLED. Now I have a Steam Deck too and I love it. I'll probably buy the next one too.

ArtHands

For the most part, people don't really want console experiences on a handheld like that. PSP was more powerful than whatever Nintendo had out at that time, and while the PSP did relatively good for a handheld, Sony still lost out to Nintendo. With the price of Steam Deck ranging from 350 to 650, it feels out of range for a handheld to do well. You can get a ps5 cheaper than the price of the high end steam deck. While handhelds and consoles don't seem to be directly competing markets, they do affect each other. if you only have $500 to get something are you going to get a nice handheld or are you going to get a 'next gen console'?
I will get a handheld since my PC can already play current and next gen AAA games at home, but not outdoor. Not to mention current handhelds can now double as a home console now, so you can leave it docked permanently and play it on tv. Switch is still selling very well too in the fact of current and next gen home consoles.

Valve also said the highest end model is the most popular Steam Deck model.

Last edited:

Zannegan

I voted other but I mean no because Nintendo have it locked down with Switch.
Same, at least for this generation. Things can always change over time, but as of now Steam Deck doesn't have enough market presence to even begin competing with Switch, nor is it like to do so in the future with how few of them are being produced. I am very interested to see what a Steam Deck 3 might look like, however, assuming Valve learns to count that high.

That said, people who are treating the Deck 1's ability to play the majority of the massive Steam's library on the go as unimportant are making a mistake.

Don't you think it's fair to say that the combination of that functionality in a convenient form factor, with a suite of controls that actually work for the vast majority of PC games, at an accessible price point very well could prove revolutionary in the long run? I do. I just think it's more appropriate to frame it as a revolution in the PC gaming space than for handhelds. That is the arena where the Deck line (assuming it becomes a line and isn't a one-off) could really shake things up in the same way that the Gameboy kicked off a revolution by taking console gaming on the go.

Valve isn't first to market with a handheld gaming PC, but neither was the iPhone the first touchscreen smart phone, the NES the first console, the Wii the first motion-control capable gaming system, Fortnite the first Battle Royale, etc. etc. You can start a revolution using only extant tech and even existing ideas, provided you do it in a new way that appeals to the mass market. It's the impact rather than the newness of a thing that determines whether or not it qualifies as a revolution, IMO.

Granted, this first gen Steam Deck doesn't look like it's going to have the market penetration to start a revolution in any arena. But, if Valve puts out a second iteration in 2-3 years, produces enough, and markets it well enough to catch the public eye, who knows?

Moses85

I Bet Snoop Dogg GIF by chuber channel

Emulator Beast

Last edited:

whyman

As someone who has a Steam deck now and was sceptical before. YES this is a game changer. I own every console and a modern gaming PC but I have no interest to game on those. The Steam Deck is a game changer.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Don't you think it's fair to say that the combination of that functionality in a convenient form factor, with a suite of controls that actually work for the vast majority of PC games, at an accessible price point very well could prove revolutionary in the long run? I do.
We can agree to disagree.

I dont see how the Deck will revolutionize handheld gaming....not in the slightest.
Im looking at it right now the same way i looked at the Steambox......a good idea but certainly not something revolutionary......we will see if its revolutionary in time but i highly doubt it, cuz im sure the next Switch or even MS's handheld Gamepass box wont look at the Deck thinking its got any ideas ,or systems, or features, or anything that will change the handheld gaming industry....being cheaper option isnt a revolution.....in my opinion not when systems going forward will be cheaper and effectively will ignore its existence.

baphomet

I dont see how the Deck will revolutionize handheld gaming....not in the slightest.
Im looking at it right now the same way i looked at the Steambox......a good idea but certainly not something revolutionary......we will see if its revolutionary in time but i highly doubt it, cuz im sure the next Switch or even MS's handheld Gamepass box wont look at the Deck thinking its got any ideas ,or systems, or features, or anything that will change the handheld gaming industry....being cheaper option isnt a revolution.....in my opinion not when systems going forward will be cheaper and effectively will ignore its existence.

The steam deck is already a portable game pass box. And it runs games better than the vast majority of game pass consoles out there.

Ozzie666

Just needs stock, which seems somewhat impossible in the current global situation. If this thing was on store shelves and mass produced, it would be a game changer. Sadly for now, it's like the modern day NEO GEO unicorn of the early 90's.

GHound

I don't see the Steam Deck revolutionizing anything, but op pls nerf anyway.
zSUmQsV.jpg

Last edited:

Filben

Portable PC gaming like the Deck does will stay niche for a long time. It's still more for enthusiasts than a Switch. It might revolutionise the industry for said enthusiasts who don't need to spend over thousand bucks now for a performance PC handheld system, but that's it for the next couple of years.

PhaseJump

Banned

Are there any other 400 dollar consoles that can play games on par with a PS4 or Xbox One in a handheld? Are there any other 400 dollar consoles that allow consumers to buy, swap out or repair the modular parts in it? What systems going forward will be cheaper, with the freedom to use multiple game stores?

PhaseJump

Banned
It's a computer, not a console.

That's an argument I would have made before actually owning one.

SteamOS 3, the dedicated gaming peripheral form factor, the custom APU, and the cheap subsidized price makes it a console.

It can not be overstated here. SteamOS's redesign nails it for being a console UI. SteamOS and Big Picture Mode wasn't good enough before when Steam Machines were news, but it is now. You could ignore desktop mode completely and use this thing, and you would have an ecosystem of thousands of games running on Proton out of the box without any tinkering.

Last edited:

Impotaku

Nothing revolutionary about it, same shit nicer graphics. It’s just a continuation of the side competitor to Nintendo just like the lynx/gamegear/pce gt were, more colours but garbage battery as the price you have to pay for it. A Handheld that barely gets a few hours of battery life is not portable, they didn’t learn that lesson back then and it seems they still haven’t now.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Nothing revolutionary about it, same shit nicer graphics. It’s just a continuation of the side competitor to Nintendo just like the lynx/gamegear/pce gt were, more colours but garbage battery as the price you have to pay for it. A Handheld that barely gets a few hours of battery life is not portable, they didn’t learn that lesson back then and it seems they still haven’t now.
There's a lot to digest here, but let's focus on the battery life claim. In an apples-to-apples comparison, I think the Deck fares quite well compared to the average Switch battery life.

In TW3, for instance, Switch runs 456-540p, PC 'Low' or 'Lower than Low', 30fps. Battery life on Switch Lite at max brightness is about 2h59m, while Switch V2 at max brightness comes in around 3h45m.

I ran TW3 on Deck at 30fps, 600p FSR, higher settings than PS4(High settings except Med Shadows and Ultra Textures), 90% battery life, full brightness, and it came out with an estimated 3h7m battery life. This is with 46sec loading time from SanDisk microSD card compared to Switch's 1m17sec loading to the same area(Crookback Bog), and with a superior frame rate(30fps riding Roach at Glory Gate, compared to Switch dropping to 22fps).

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
There's a lot to digest here, but let's focus on the battery life claim. In an apples-to-apples comparison, I think the Deck fares quite well compared to the average Switch battery life.

In TW3, for instance, Switch runs 456-540p, PC 'Low' or 'Lower than Low', 30fps. Battery life on Switch Lite at max brightness is about 2h59m, while Switch V2 at max brightness comes in around 3h45m.

I ran TW3 on Deck at 30fps, 600p FSR, higher settings than PS4(High settings except Med Shadows and Ultra Textures), 90% battery life, full brightness, and it came out with an estimated 3h7m battery life. This is with 46sec loading time from SanDisk microSD card compared to Switch's 1m17sec loading to the same area(Crookback Bog), and with a superior frame rate(30fps riding Roach at Glory Gate, compared to Switch dropping to 22fps).

penis-erection.gif

soulbait

If people can have a Switch as their main game device, I don’t see how this is not possible.

Nintendo is mainstream. People who are not gamers know who Nintendo is. They want their kids to play Nintendo games. My wife, who was never a gamer, plays Switch daily due to hearing about Animal Crossing and being hooked on it now. Steam are not those things. It is still niche. It is huge in gaming culture, sure, but not outside of gaming. Can they cross that bridge, yeah eventually, but it will be a long road to IMO.

Top Bottom