• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think the Switch Oled is going to be big hit?

How successful?

• Big hit

• Moderate success

• Forgotten SKU

Results are only viewable after voting.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I get to play Mario.

Way to miss my point

Edit- I'm terrible getting my points across in my own language let alone in English. So fair enough..

With "why bother" I meant going for OLED if you're going to be playing primarily handheld. It's screen quality was so far back in the line of what could be upgraded it's not even funny

Last edited:

dezzy8

If you prefer playing on your TV I'd say there's no difference. Otherwise be prepared to deal with the same very disappointing (lack off) ergonomics and hardware issues like stick drift and lack of a real dpad.

I don't get it; sure an OLED screen is awesome but the same fundamental issues that are the most if not only prevalent when you're playing handheld still remain... And yet and OLED version is only appetizing to those that play handheld only, or rather most of the time..

Why bother? Sigh.. Nintendo..
That’s very true. There’s no incentive for the people who play on TV screens to purchase one since there’s no power increase.
I’m pretty hyped for it and I even sold my launch switch to put down my pre order.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
That’s very true. There’s no incentive for the people who play on TV screens to purchase one since there’s no power increase.
I’m pretty hyped for it and I even sold my launch switch to put down my pre order.

It is.

My point is ... when this upgrade applies solely to those that play their Switch in handheld mode, doesn't that demographic henceforth realise they're still having to deal with an objectively bad ergonomic design and fundamental hardware related issues such as joycon drift and lack of a worthwhile d-pad?

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

I'm not the only one that thinks this right?

Animated GIF

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It will sell ok as the switch sells well overall. But preorders are still up even today.....so that tells you most people don't care about the OLED.

MagnesG

Banned
It is.

My point is ... when this upgrade applies solely to those that play their Switch in handheld mode, doesn't that demographic henceforth realise they're still having to deal with an objectively bad ergonomic design and fundamental hardware related issues such as joycon drift and lack of a worthwhile d-pad?

Animated GIF
Lol. More like out of touch from the reality.

TLZ

Banned
Who cares?

It's still a Switch sale.

If I didn't have a Switch and was out to buy one now I'll just get whatever's the latest version in the market. It's not like I'm buying it because it's OLED. I'm buying because it's Switch. I'm not going to buy older versions when a new one is out.

Maybe some others will buy whatever's cheaper since they all function the same.

It doesn't do anything different.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Who cares?

It's still a Switch sale.

If I didn't have a Switch and was out to buy one now I'll just get whatever's the latest version in the market. It's not like I'm buying it because it's OLED. I'm buying because it's Switch. I'm not going to buy older versions when a new one is out.

Maybe some others will buy whatever's cheaper since they all function the same.

It doesn't do anything different.
If you play it in handheld mode for a substantial period of time, having a way better screen, better sound and more memory are all big positives. Particularly the the first two.

BlackTron

True, the Switch is on pace to being Nintendo's most successful console ever. I mostly meant media outlets and hands on people to promote the hell out of Steam Deck to get the suits at Nintendo's attention

Like "Oh, look at that, maybe we should make more powerful hardware". Because we all know Nintendo lives under rock and hopefully Valve just inspire them to make a more powerful Switch in the near future

I really doubt that anyone at Nintendo will care about Steam Deck, at all. There's always a more powerful hardware out there. So what? It's never made a difference to them when their direct competitors have stronger hardware. Why should a hardware gnat like Valve suddenly change their tune?

Nintendo has had inferior hardware specs ever since Wii/DS. I can't see Steam Deck, a non-competitor, making a suit at Nintendo go "Oh huh, we should change". As nice as that would be.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Many people also keep forgetting that it comes with double the built in storage as well. I’ll probably finally get a switch if I can find one in stock.

It is.

Animated GIF
You’re not crazy, it’s a pretty stupid upgrade. But saying hey we have Oled sells more than we fixed our shit.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I have this theory that maybe the Oled model will replace the standard Switch.

I raised this theory on another outlet, and they almost raked me over the coals for it.

But maybe Nintendo was looking for a way to raise the price of the regular Switch, because of the semi-conductor crisis. And the Oled model is the result. Is this possible or am I completely mistaken?

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
I have this theory that maybe the Oled model will replace the standard Switch.

I raised this theory on another outlet, and they almost raked me over the coals for it.

But maybe Nintendo was looking for a way to raise the price of the regular Switch, because of the semi-conductor crisis. And the Oled model is the result. Is this possible or am I completely mistaken?
It could very well replace the standard Switch but I doubt it will be until a time where they're willing to drop the OLED to the same pricepoint as the standard Switch, which seems like a long ways off with the way the platform as a whole is selling.

TT2k17

Banned
Is it replacing the OG model or will this be available alongside Lite and OG?
If its not replacing the OG model I dont really see the success. I dont care about it at all. I dont know any person who wants it.
(I dont play portable at all so thats why I dont care)

If it is then well sure since Switch is selling and this will take the place of the OG one.

Also most people dont go for premium versions. Most PS4s are not Pros. Most Xbox Ones are not Xs. The hardcore gamers will care much more about it than the average joe does but then with Switch the hardcore gamer will probably play on TV and less so in handheld mode.

Last edited:

yurinka

Nah, I think most existing users (so the ones who aren't Nintendo rabid fans who buy anything they do) won't see a meaningful upgrade to buy another Switch. I think the more hardcore new users will prefer it, but I think the average casual will prefer the cheaper sku.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
What you wrote applies to original Switch and partially for Switch lite too, yet sales had been maintaining for 25m+ every year on average. It doesn't matter, yet now Switch OLED is suddenly affected?

The OLED impression from media had been booming particularly for the handheld crowd. While the resolution didn't change, the OLED screen really do make a difference similar to Samsung's OLED vs generic android phones's LCD, even casuals could notice the difference. An extra $50 doesn't seem that unfeasible anymore.

Switch is also a personal console in some cases, with one household possibly having multiple Switch devices at home. Old Switches usually will be given to the others while a new is bought, which in this case would be Switch OLED for this year

The right answer is the opposite of what the consensus is here. Those of us on forums are ironically out of touch with reality.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
What you wrote applies to original Switch and partially for Switch lite too, yet sales had been maintaining for 25m+ every year on average. It doesn't matter, yet now Switch OLED is suddenly affected?

The OLED impression from media had been booming particularly for the handheld crowd. While the resolution didn't change, the OLED screen really do make a difference similar to Samsung's OLED vs generic android phones's LCD, even casuals could notice the difference. An extra $50 doesn't seem that unfeasible anymore.

Switch is also a personal console in some cases, with one household possibly having multiple Switch devices at home. Old Switches usually will be given to the others while a new is bought, which in this case would be Switch OLED for this year

How does this relate to my post in any way?

Mark Wahlberg Reaction GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Woopah

It'll do fairly well, will raise the platform's average selling price and help Nintendo hit their goal of multiple Switch's per household.

The standard model will remain as the best selling one however.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
No one gives a shit. All new games look and run terribly. Kings Bounty 2 looks terrible, Monster Hunter Stories 2 is rough.....every game is rough compared to last gen consoles. Time to get a console upgrade!!

tr1p1ex

It will probably convert a few people over to playing handheld.

But yeah for everyone not converted...no upgrade for you.

Last edited:

Notabueno

Banned
It doesn't matter: it'll fail to sustain or relaunch Switch growth.

Nintendo dropped the ball so hard on this one, but there's also the more important question of games: besides BoTW 1.5, what else is to releasing on Switch nowadays?

Rambotito

Never underestimate the power of people buying something they don't need.
It'll be a big hit and ebay will have a field day. I personally don't want one but the OLED model will be in great demand.

Nintendo dropped the ball so hard on this one, but there's also the more important question of games: besides BoTW 1.5, what else is to releasing on Switch nowadays?
I don't know. The only thing left for me is SMTV. Maybe Advance Wars and Metroid Dread but those are big maybes. Still no word on Metroid Prime remakes and MP4.

The Switch is fun with or without OLED. I have an OLED tv, so if I really want to, all I have to do is dock it. This might be more successful in places that don't have high OLED adoption. I suspect moderate success.

Woopah

First party wise Nintendo seems to have recovered from the pandemic and they have a good number and variety of games coming for the rest of 2021 and into 2022.

Add in third party titles and whatever gets revealed at the September Direct and they'll have a steady stream of games to maintain momentum.

Top Bottom