• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Valve will stealth release a new game to coincide with the Steam Deck launch?

GuinGuin

Banned
Yes, obviously there is already a huge library of Steam games to choose from but every great hardware launch deserves a big launch game to go with it to give identity to the platform. Those dual touchpads need a proof of concept game that takes full advantage of them to show it off. 🌶️

Holammer

Naaaaah, but it would be fun. I can imagine a lot of games adding optimized Deck configurations and taking advantage of the haptics.

I'm looking forward to all the silly Deck content imaginable by YTbers, "Road to Global Elite with a Deck!". I can already hear Anomaly shrieking so his vocal cords snap.

Smasher89

Would be fun, but they dont release that many games themselves right? . A minigame collection that utilizes the full controller would be cool/fun.

GuinGuin

Banned
Would be fun, but they dont release that many games themselves right? . A minigame collection that utilizes the full controller would be cool/fun.

With their resources they could slap out an Animal Crossing clone, a Mario Kart Clone and a Pokémon clone in 6 months. Let's be honest Western devs are far more efficient than Japanese ones.

Holammer

With their resources they could slap out an Animal Crossing clone, a Mario Kart Clone and a Pokémon clone in 6 months. Let's be honest Western devs are far more efficient than Japanese ones.
Even faster if they just lifted resources out of existing games. TF2 got cart racer material written all over it. Just add the administrator, Saxton, Merasmus, Miss Pauling and you have a perfect rooster of characters.

jMeeMemjSnv1bRkNPUXWcqtM3nQ9FWPjgSmnQ1I3pbg.png

TF2 Mercenary Crossing? Naaaaah?

junguler

Banned
if they could bring easy anti cheat support for proton it would be enough i think, just put pubg or apex on the box and it'll make a lot of people happy.

Shubh_C63

Nope. If they can't make a killer app that brings ingenuity and hardware together, they won't make shit.
That's why we all know they made Half Life 3 in VR.

Thaedolus

I’d much rather they kept working on VR shit. There’s like 17 years of Steam pancake content I’m happy to play on a Steam Deck, so I’d rather have a new VR experience of Alyx quality

TheMan

Yeah, valve doesn’t really seem to be in the game development business anymore, at least not balls deep like they used to be years ago. I’d say the odds of a showcase killer app is quite low, especially since such a game would have been revealed by now

Zannegan

Gold Member
The point of the hardware seems to be that you can take just about any game on the go. It would be kind if an odd fit/mixed messaging to start making games specific to the hardware.

With the extremely limited supply of Steam Deck, it also doesn't seem like the right time to try to increase demand.

Thay said, a Left For Dead 3 with local wifi multiplayer ould work out okay, I guess... or maybe a non-VR Halflife Alyx port. XD

It's probably Portal 3, or something completely out of radar but can be considered a small scale project but unique in it's gameplay (?),

I can't think of an IP they would make that would fit perfectly and run like a dream on their hardware than a new Portal 3 - the least demanding IP I can think of that could sell hotcakes.

But again, one must not forget, Valve would likely never do a Steam Deck exclusive game. Makes no sense to bar a game on their steam store that is unplayable on the PC.

Regardless of any game, whether a new IP or not, if it were to come out - the question of whether it would push hardware sales is an unknown outcome.

SinDelta

Half Life 3
Portal 3
Team Fortress 3
Left 4 Dead 3
Artifact but good this time

That would be a pretty sweet lineup to start.

KAL2006

Banned
They should have a tech demo type deck game ala Astrobot. Doesn't have to be big budget or fancy just a short game that uses every input of the deck.

It will be gimmicky but it would show the decks potential.

Use the dual touch pads
Use the mics
Use the gyro
Use the touchscreen
Use the dual analogs
Use the pressure analog triggers

GuinGuin

Banned
Agree with this.

That's not the point of the device, it would defeat the purpose when the selling point is to play your existing steam library and PC games in general.

That's just not true. Valve is on the record as working with devs and wanting devs to make Steam Deck versions/update patches of their games. What better way to encourage that than with a game that shows off how much can be added by giving native support to the unique control setup.

GHG

That's just not true. Valve is on the record as working with devs and wanting devs to make Steam Deck versions/update patches of their games. What better way to encourage that than with a game that shows off how much can be added by giving native support to the unique control setup.

There will be no "patches". You've misunderstood what they are doing.

They are working with devs to create steam deck optimised profiles for their games. That will mean a graphics setting preset along with controller profiles. Those profiles will sit in the steam client, not dissimilar to how developers can currently add controller profiles and steam link touch screen presets via the steaminput API.

GuinGuin

Banned
There will be no "patches". You've misunderstood what they are doing.

They are working with devs to create steam deck optimised profiles for their games. That will mean a graphics setting preset along with controller profiles. Those profiles will sit in the steam client, not dissimilar to how developers can currently add controller profiles and steam link touch screen presets via the steaminput API.
That's still a patch as far as I'm concerned. New data related to running the game for the specific hardware.

GHG

That's still a patch as far as I'm concerned. New data related to running the game for the specific hardware.

It's really not, valve commonly do this in partnership with developers when a new feature is added to the steam ecosystem:

It doesn't require the developer to update the game.

CitizenZ

Banned
I predicted on another post, because its been quiet and we know its coming, Uncharted 4 or another exclusive that has never been given the proper gaming experience.

Oh interesting. It would make sense. Valve likes to use new games to debut new hardware and software technologies.

It would definitely be cool if they did.

Top Bottom