• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think you enjoyed games more before you became an "enthusiast"?

Did you enjoy games more before you became an enthusaist?

• Yes

Votes: 21 44.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • About the same

Votes: 21 44.7%
  • I enjoyed games less before

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
Enthusiast is a little loaded, so go with whatever definition you feel suits you.

This is assuming everyone who takes the time to regularly browse through a videogame forum is an enthusaist. Or close enough anyway.

So: Has looking behind the curtains of the industry jaded you? Or are you getting old?

It's about the same for me, but as usual, I'm curious what the public thinks

edit: so, the point of this was to find out from the people who regularly start platform warrior shit. Before you were invested in whether some studio was being bought or not, did you enjoy games more?

Last edited:
I just dont take videogames that seriously, I'm assuming it's why I can enjoy them still. Who gives a shit if a youtuber erroneously reported that the new ps5 model runs two degrees warmer. Who cares if there is "woke" in a game. Etc etc.

There is too much out there to enjoy to sit and whine over nonsense. Who gives a shit. I rock some videogames to unwind and chill out.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
It's always been my hobby. I go through waves of loving and loathing the industry but that's normal of any hobby. As far as forums go, don't take it seriously and troll the platform warriors who do take it seriously for maximum fun.

Knightime_X

Feels like "enthusiast" is a gamer who loves games but doesn't have time to actually play them like they used to but continues to be involved with them in some format.

Vagswarm

I got sucked into games pretty much right away, with Super Mario Bros. I'd say being an enthusiast just made me more aware of the definitions and going on's. During the N64, I had no idea that Nintendo made games X and Y, while another company made B and C. I just played whatever was good. I also didn't know what was upcoming, which systems each game had, or really care about that stuff.

Now I'm a lot more informed, which is always a bonus. The downside is that unless something is a sleeper hit (like Demon's Souls), I'm not really blown away by anything. I know what games are coming out, who's making them, when they'll be released, what they'll be about, etc. The mystery of that is pretty much gone, like when Ocarina of Time came out and I had no idea it was the same franchise from the SNES -- just that it was awesome. It had that naive freshness.

So yes and no.

*I don't get all worked up over this stuff though, or get into the system wars. Like others said, it's just a passionate hobby.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Its just video games and thats how i see them. Ill always find entertainment or something to enjoy about them if its to my liking. Industry news is industry news and separate from the copy in my hand and forums are just... forums. So my enjoyment of them has been the same and always will be.

Kuranghi

I do think small technical issues like stuttering can really annoy me more nowadays but it could be more because I have such a huge PC screen now. So I guess I haven't become more jaded but I'm such a pedant about technical shit that when its really bad I just can't play it at all - like constant horriblly bad unexplained stuttering.

Having said that I definitely think I enjoy it more because some of my favourite games of all time are from the last 10 years, eg BotW, The Witness, The Talos Principle, Max Payne 3, Just Cause 3, Hitman Blood Money and then Hitman 2016-2021, Diablo 3, Borderlands 2 off the top of my head.

I think getting my awesome HDR TV (Even though I mostly still play in SDR it still gives massive benefits there too) to use as a display has made me appreciate graphics and art in games even more, I'm still blown away by the image weekly. I might marry my TV later this year.

Kuranghi

I just dont take videogames that seriously, I'm assuming it's why I can enjoy them still. Who gives a shit if a youtuber error outlying reported that the new ps5 model runs two degrees warmer. Who cares if there is "woke" in a game. Etc etc.

There is too much out there to enjoy to sit and whine over nonsense. Who gives a shit. I rock some videogames to unwind and chill out.

*prepares notes about how wokeness is ruining gaming*

Nah I'm just joking, who gaf as you say, lets chill out and play games man:

stoned ice cube GIF

Unk Adams

Banned
I enjoyed gaming when it wasn't as mainstream and real gamers took it seriously. We had higher quality games then and more passionate products instead of the common broken, corporate messes you have today.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It's always been my hobby. I go through waves of loving and loathing the industry but that's normal of any hobby. As far as forums go, don't take it seriously and troll the platform warriors who do take it seriously for maximum fun.

Well said man <3

Videogames have been in my life for over 35 years and I'm still as enthusiastic about them as always.

I'm not the type to keep up with the industry and all it entails but that's OK

It's such a nice hobby to have <3

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I just dont take videogames that seriously, I'm assuming it's why I can enjoy them still. Who gives a shit if a youtuber error outlying reported that the new ps5 model runs two degrees warmer. Who cares if there is "woke" in a game. Etc etc.

Well said Phunkydiabetic Phunkydiabetic

That's what I meant with my first post

Sometimes I get so frustrated with these zeitgeist threads regarding wokeness or slight perfomance differences and seeing folks genuinely tee off on each other because reasons....

Gaming is soooo awesome nowadays! What gives?!!!

Gamerguy84

I think sometimes people get lost in discussions. It's always a good idea to unplug from forums everywhere and just play something you enjoy.

I've caught myself and taken many breaks.

Some people let other factors play into their enjoyment even though it shouldn't. Like Digital Foundry comparisons, sales, PC guys and performance.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I don't know if I would say I had more enjoyment from the game. But it was probably better for me overall. I didn't follow gaming news, I didn't get hyped months in advance, etc etc.

I just walked into GameStop or the LGS saw what was the newest thing and grabbed it. I didn't check reviews, I didn't check userscore, I didn't check the latest patch notes, etc etc. I just....bought the game and gave it a go.

A part of me misses that simplicity of that.

Corgi1985

Banned
I enjoyed games more because they weren't dogshit. Why yes I would like to play another 3rd person cinematic game where bland protagonist climbs on a highlighted ledge. F U C K T H I S.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I do think small technical issues like stuttering can really annoy me more nowadays but it could be more because I have such a huge PC screen now. So I guess I haven't become more jaded but I'm such a pedant about technical shit that when its really bad I just can't play it at all - like constant horriblly bad unexplained stuttering.

Having said that I definitely think I enjoy it more because some of my favourite games of all time are from the last 10 years, eg BotW, The Witness, The Talos Principle, Max Payne 3, Just Cause 3, Hitman Blood Money and then Hitman 2016-2021, Diablo 3, Borderlands 2 off the top of my head.

I think getting my awesome HDR TV (Even though I mostly still play in SDR it still gives massive benefits there too) to use as a display has made me appreciate graphics and art in games even more, I'm still blown away by the image weekly. I might marry my TV later this year.

It's just your personal psychological characteristics that infiltrated your hobby and I think people use the same mindset to think lesser of many things even tho said things are inherently awesome.

"Great meal but my plate was cold so my food was a lower temperature than is should be"

"Great party but didn't you think the room temperature was a little to high?"

When your accustomed to good things you tend to focus on the details..

And that's good because the devil is in the details but it warps perspective.

Does that makes sense?

GymWolf

Well no, even without forum i would play in the same way, now if we talk about having better skills or dedicating more time to vg compared to a casual then yeah, it's the difference between finishing a game going straight with the main story or doing everything and seeing everything the game has to offer or the difference between playing on easy\normal and button smashing your way throught a game in a mindless way against playing at the hared difficuties mode and embracing all the game systems\mechanics of the game to beat a superior challenge.

Also i get to enjoy many AA and indie games that a casual don't even consider.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Eh, I guess before I became an enthusiast I was a 4 year old kid, so no.

I don't really know what enthusiast means here. I don't buy gaming periphenalia or statues or pictures or display my games for the world to see.

Before talking about games on forums, I was talking with my brothers and friends, so not much has changed.

Last edited:
i definitely enjoyed games way more when i didn't come on places like this. the gaming industry/fanbase is so toxic and full of anger/hatred. you have dumb little kids loyally defending multi billion $ companies and there are so many people trying to stir shit and hate.

plus, i just can't justify paying for high end hardware anymore. i spent thousands on a gaming PC but i'll be going back to consoles. it'll suck giving up some things but whatever i'm saving money. i'll pick up an Xbox in a year or two and that's it. consoles are aimed at people who don't want to spend much and get good enough performance and that's good enough for me i think. if i was into games as much i was ~5-10 years ago i'd be more than happy to build another PC. it's not really a money issue. i can afford it but i can't justify it.

i want to step back from the gaming community. it's really full of the worst kind of people.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Well no, even without forum i would play in the same way, now if we talk about having better skills or dedicating more time to vg compared to a casual then yeah, it's the difference between finishing a game going straight with the main story or doing everything and seeing everything the game has to offer or the difference between playing on easy\normal and button smashing your way throught a game in a mindless way against playing at the hared difficuties mode and embracing all the game systems\mechanics of the game to beat a superior challenge.

Also i get to enjoy many AA and indie games that a casual don't even consider.

Hmmm

Casuals tend to get lost in a single game for years just because they love it and dont care about trophies or whatever

So who is hardcore or casual

Vagswarm

i definitely enjoyed games way more when i didn't come on places like this. the gaming industry/fanbase is so toxic and full of anger/hatred. you have dumb little kids loyally defending multi billion $ companies and there are so many people trying to stir shit and hate.
I'm with that. This is why I avoid a lot of those kind of comments, as they don't serve any real purpose and only bring you down. Just like dealing with toxic people in real life... they exist, but you can avoid them. Sign of maturity I guess, lol.

Nozz-A-La

I enjoy playing games. I enjoy reading game forums. If reading forums negatively impacted how much I enjoy playing then I’d quit reading them.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Yes because my tolerance for mundane games used to be really high, and now I drop them on the spot.

Last edited:

bobone

I've always had a great time playing games. Which is supposed to be the whole point.
Certain games draw me in more than others, and every few years you get something truly special.

I did learn at some point to not continue playing games that are trash and not enjoyable.
During the PS3 era I played everything that came out. I have over 350 games from that generation, and while it was cool at the time, I don't think it was a sustainable way to approach gaming.
That makes a massive difference to loving the hobby and not getting burned out or jaded.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Becoming enthusiast made me hate pc gaming... But games not that much.
The fact is that there is a lot of crap nowadays and times have changed.

I used to play everything. Now i am very selective

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I enjoy playing games. I enjoy reading game forums. If reading forums negatively impacted how much I enjoy playing then I’d quit reading them.

External feedback, or rather exposure always leaves a subconscious indication.

When one is to caught up in media it'll make a permanent bias approaching whatever it is

Avoiding media regarding games you're intrested in helps alot, it's not spoilers but the general narrative around an upcoming game that will fuck with you.

Just engage without the bullshit and see for yourself

Videogame discourse nowadays is less about games and more about being cynical/salty/hyperbolic and such.

Mostly

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I own and play games on all the current systems whenever I have free time which is not much but I def enjoyed games now more than when I was in high school/college. I probably enjoy them more then when I was little too and didn't know any better about resting/relaxing, nutrition and energy management. I actually have to plan my gaming sessions a couple days in advance and be ready to switch gears and fuel/rest up properly for these sessions.

Nozz-A-La

External feedback, or rather exposure always leaves a subconscious indication.

When one is to caught up in media it'll make a permanent bias approaching whatever it is

Avoiding media regarding games you're intrested in helps alot, it's not spoilers but the general narrative around an upcoming game that will fuck with you.

Just engage without the bullshit and see for yourself

Videogame discourse nowadays is less about games and more about being cynical/salty/hyperbolic and such.

Mostly
That’s what I do if it’s a game I’m really hyped for and others don’t seem to be. It’s easier to ignore a thread than accidentally read something that may spoil the game for me, be it a spoiler or people pointing out a flaw.

I hate the constant console warring and other nonsense, but I absolutely love gaming and sharing that love of gaming with others.

ZywyPL

Banned
Yes, because of couple of reasons.

First thing first there was no internet so everything was a surprise, you could only read the stuff in magazines, whereas nowadays there are all the leaks and rumors, everything is well know days before the events start, so there's no enthusiasm where it comes to new info.

Secondly, the games were in their infant state, meaning a kot was left to your own imagination/interpretation, now everything is served on a plate.

Also, just like with movies and music, most of the stuff has already been done, there are barely any new ideas, stories, settings, gameplay mechanics etc. that haven't been done already.

But I still love gaming regardless, but mainly thanks to all the indie games where all the creativity and artism is.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
I don't know, it sort of balances out for me. I grew up poor so we didn't have consoles to begin with. During the NES era, I only played with the family computer which were VIC20 then C64 and then my dad's 286/386/486. So that was the beginning of my gaming life as a kid.

In those times I enjoyed what I could run on those systems and didn't really think of what was bad or not, I was just happy I could play all those Microprose games and whatever Sierra/Origin games were out.

Fast forward later and we got an NES (my mom worked at a daycare and would bring their SNES on the weekends so we could play it) and I had fun going to the video stores and renting whatever I liked, reading gaming mags like VG&CE and such, not much fanboyism there really as I mainly read those for tips and new stuff coming out.

Friends always had the newest stuff like SNES, TG16, Genesis and I'd go over to their place and have fun there, still no fanboyism as we just loved playing games together.

Then I got my own place, bought my own systems (PS1, N64, and Dreamcast) and still loved playing them all as games came out for them.

Fast forward to now as a 40+ adult and the Internet and yeah I'm barraged with all this information and rampant fanboyism on all sides and I do admit it's so tiring that at times I just have to not visit any sites at all.

BUT, the bright side is since it's my money, I am more inclined to be choosier and not waste my money on what could be a real turd of a game. So I really do appreciate that side that saves me time and money when it comes to the waves of games we get now.

TLDR; While I miss the simplicity of my early gaming days, I can still appreciate what we have now when it comes to options. Aside from the fanboy and console wars, I think overall it's a better time.

Thanks for listening to my TED talk.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
As their potential has grown, so has my appreciation. We've hit a few dips and lowpoints, and there is stupid drama-alert crap leaking into communities, but overall it's one of the reasons life is fun for me.

Top Bottom