• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you want more or less exclusives on each console?

What's you opinion of exclusives on consoles?

• The more exclusives the better

Votes: 118 56.7%
  • Exclusives are bad. The vast majority of games should be multiplatform

Votes: 90 43.3%

• Total voters

nemiroff

Gold Member
The future for consumers is/should be multiplatform releases. These companies are not my friends, if Xbox or Playstation burned to the ground tomorrow I'd be inclined to dance on their graves.

Chastten

Banned
Less. I have no affinity towards any of these multi billion dollar companies, only to some of their games.

In an ideal world, I would only need to buy one plastic box to play any game of my choice, with any controller of my choice. Having to buy several plastic boxes is not only a waste of my personal space and money, it's also a waste of resources for the planet.

Currently, I can play 98% of all games I want to play by just having a Switch and a PC, so it's better than before but still not perfect.

Poltz

Have to agree here. I'm not all that concerned about industry consolidation. We are seeing tons of studios with veteran talent and plenty of funding popping up. Some of them will almost certainly be responsible for the next big thing in gaming. The industry seems pretty resilient to too much being under one roof.
Off the top of my head only Respawn really have made a hit game. Legendary IP can’t be replaced either.

Last edited:

Denton

If it wasn't for exclusives, there would be no reason for me to own both the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 consoles.
That would be a good thing both for your wallet and for the environment. There is nothing great about having to buy multiple rendundant boxes that do exactly the same thing and could run all the same games, but don't because of artificial restrictions.
It would be better for vast majority of people if these corporations competed on quality of service, performance, price etc and not through withholding games from others.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Exclusives are generally higher quality because they are made to prop up the console, so they have extra time devoted to make them the best games they can be rather than rushing a game out to meet profit quotas.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Let people play where they want with the same content etc. Dsadly, third party deals and exclusivity deals ruin that...

But yeah, option 2

Damigos

My normal answer the previous years would be "the more people get to play the better".
But i ve come to realise that the best games of every platform are the exclusive ones. They are the ones that "justify" which system you re gonna buy.
So, my answer actually is more exclusives, since MS and Sony share a 98% of their library and almost all of Nintendo's good games are exclusives.

Doesn't matter to me as I will always buy every system, however I have always felt that it would be better if Nintendo was third party so we could actually play their games at a decent framerate and resolution.

Mahavastu

As a Playstation owner I see that the exclusives usually get out most of the machine, impresses me and gives me a lot of fun. I really like most of them and I see a good and strong selection of exclusives as a way to make Playstation stronger.

But that is kind of "icing of the cake", the extra, the special stuff, the reason to make you buy a Playstation instead of the that other box, which tbh from a pure hardware point of view is pretty much the same.

Anyway, I also play quite a lot of multiplatts, so I think the current strategy of "a few but great exclusives and the majority of everything else" is pretty good.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Fight it out amongst yourselves, I couldn’t care less as to which games are locked away from each console.

As long as your hardware makers continue to climb the PC mountain to present their offerings.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Less.

Doesn't really matter for me personally though, as it seems like everything except Nintendo comes to pc.

Hunnybun

I think exclusive games are generally higher quality, partly because developers can push a single system to its max, and partly because the platform holder is willing to back higher dev costs in return for exclusive selling points.

Last gen we tended to get about 4 of those games a year (3-4 on PS4 and 0-1 on Xbox). I'd love it if I could get 10+ a year instead, even if I had to buy a second console.

PeteBull

Console exclusives wouldn't bother me until it affects the games coming to PC. Bloodborne is a shining example. Left to rot on PS4 with a terrible framerate and no mods. Sad.
We will get glorious bloodborne 4k60fps remake, dunno if on ps5 or on ps6 but we will 4sure.

NahaNago

Like others have said it depends on how it was made exclusive. If it is a first party studio making more exclusive games then thats okay. I'm also okay with the console makers paying to have a game made similar to the Bayonetta situation. I'm just not for the whole paying for it to not be on other platforms.

the majority of games come out on xbox , playstation , and pc. Folk really freak out over a handful of games not coming to their preferred platform every year.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
I think exclusive games are generally higher quality, partly because developers can push a single system to its max, and partly because the platform holder is willing to back higher dev costs in return for exclusive selling points.
But at this point it seems anything non Nintendo will also come to pc.

PeteBull

That and hope for ps5pr0 made me not get ps5 at launch, if by 2025 no pr0 version i will probably bend the knee coz there is tons of high quality exclusives on ps5 already and will be even more by then, ofc if they come to pc then no need, we will see, actions have consequences.
Like with gamepass :D

Three

As long as they are technically good games I don't care where they are. If a game is exclusive and has had better, more focused development on a single system I don't mind that either.

Hunnybun

Well Sony games don't, not in any kind of practical timeframe ("I don't know what you're worried about, it'll come to PC in 2 to 3 years! Probably."). And Sony games are currently about 90% of the high quality titles I'm talking about. And that's forgetting about whether or not the PC and console experience is equivalent (it's not) and whether I actually want the PC experience (I don't).

And even before all those issues, it's still not really the point: the games are high quality BECAUSE they're exclusive and can be used to sell consoles. If that goes, why would Sony be willing to back much smaller returns just to give gamers that insane level of quality? It really comes down to the fundamental point that you need competition to drive quality for consumers.

mrmustard

Banned
Well Sony games don't, not in any kind of practical timeframe ("I don't know what you're worried about, it'll come to PC in 2 to 3 years! Probably."). And Sony games are currently about 90% of the high quality titles I'm talking about. And that's forgetting about whether or not the PC and console experience is equivalent (it's not) and whether I actually want the PC experience (I don't).

And even before all those issues, it's still not really the point: the games are high quality BECAUSE they're exclusive and can be used to sell consoles. If that goes, why would Sony be willing to back much smaller returns just to give gamers that insane level of quality? It really comes down to the fundamental point that you need competition to drive quality for consumers.
It's just a matter of time for Pc day1. I expect it for the PS6 at latest. The games could be even more high quality if they would make full use of the dual sense and the magic ssd with gameplay built around it. But they can't, because the games will come to pc and if you think or hope otherwise you'll get disappointed.

The games could also be high quality if they were released on all platforms, because more platform generate money. Making them exclusive CAN make them money with new custormers, but they will never know how well it works, because how could they know why a person buys their console? Besides that the big Sony games sell so much they should be profitbable on their own, even with the ridiculous amount of money they spend on marketing.

Hunnybun

It's just a matter of time for Pc day1. I expect it for the PS6 at latest. The games could be even more high quality if they would make full use of the dual sense and the magic ssd with gameplay built around it. But they can't, because the games will come to pc and if you think or hope otherwise you'll get disappointed.

The games could also be high quality if they were released on all platforms, because more platform generate money. Making them exclusive CAN make them money with new custormers, but they will never know how well it works, because how could they know why a person buys their console? Besides that the big Sony games sell so much they should be profitbable on their own, even with the ridiculous amount of money they spend on marketing.

Yeah, that's not how business works. You know how I know? Because none of the games that are ALREADY multiplatform look like that. That's the real world experiment of what you're talking about right there.

Sony and Microsoft will make money on their exclusives, but the point is they're willing to risk NOT making money by investing so much up front, in a way that a purely disinterested corporation wouldn't be. They'll also be making lower returns, generally, because dev costs are probably like double the purely commercial amount. And companies that consistently make below market returns don't tend to last that long, because shareholders can just pull their investment and get more money in another stock.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Less. I'm a gamer. Games should not be stuck to one console till death. Demons Souls should be enjoyed by everyone

Everyone!

More exclusives because they're nearly always of a much higher quality than your typical third party offering. Talking about Sony here, can't comment on Microsoft's exclusives.

Lasha

Yeah, that's not how business works. You know how I know? Because none of the games that are ALREADY multiplatform look like that. That's the real world experiment of what you're talking about right there.

Sony and Microsoft will make money on their exclusives, but the point is they're willing to risk NOT making money by investing so much up front, in a way that a purely disinterested corporation wouldn't be. They'll also be making lower returns, generally, because dev costs are probably like double the purely commercial amount. And companies that consistently make below market returns don't tend to last that long, because shareholders can just pull their investment and get more money in another stock.

Shareholders can't pull money out of a company like that wtf.

Hunnybun

Shareholders can't pull money out of a company like that wtf.

You know what I mean. They sell stock and the price goes down, which is bad for the company. If it's consistent it basically prevents the company from raising money at a competitive rate. In the long term it's impossible to compete on an even footing.

T-Cake

I want tons of first party exclusives but also make everything available on PC (even if it takes massive grunt power to run a first party game decently - that will always come in the future).

The reason is that console exclusives are the games that seem to make best use of the available hardware and features. No third party is really adopting DualSense in PS5, for example.

Last edited:
Exclusivity serves no purpose anymore, before a game built for a single platform took advantage of that platform's features or hardware and meant things were produced that had a USP and drove sales of the hardware, now they are all the same basically with the exception of the Nintendo Switch, so why not just make the games available everywhere?

Laptop1991

I'm in the middle now, i use to be multi is better, but they are not making them to all the same quality across the board especially on PC, why bother making a game on other systems if you can't be bothered to do it properly, if it's on 1 system it should work well and could improve the amount of games made as each system would have to up their output, im not sure in the current state of the game industry now

Last edited:

j.k.2021

Banned
Less.IMO, Xbox should bring Halo Infinite to PlayStation and Switch.For a live service game, The more platforms it supports...the better.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Off the top of my head only Respawn really have made a hit game. Legendary IP can’t be replaced either.
Studios that started relatively recently and consistently put out games, some of which are hits, we have New Blood Interactive, Supergiant Games and Coffee Stain (this last one also published hits apart from developing their own) off the top of my head. There's also plenty of smaller teams dedicated to one or few games that become huge successes, like the makers of Stardew Valley, BeamNGdrive, Factorio, Hollow Knight, Subnautica, Grim Dawn, etc.

Aside from that, there are also older development studios that rose to prominence on the last decade or so whilst remaining independent, like SCS Software, Larian Studios and CDPR.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'm only interested in playing awesome games. In my dream scenario this should only require me to buy only one hardware, and it should preferably be a beefy PC, but sadly this isn't the world that we live in.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It depends. First party stuff makes sense, but I'm not into third party exclusives, or when a previously third party developer/publisher is gobbled up and then becomes exclusive.

Last edited:

kingyala

Banned
i think exclusives are the reason consoes exist... this is why i hate consoles nowadays being semi pc's, its all good for developers and ease of development but it kills the purpose of the console... to me consoles should always be exotic and peculiar systems that people come about and made with different ideas to solve different problems in computer entertainment, and exclusive games always push these machines to the max.

MikeM

i think exclusives are the reason consoes exist... this is why i hate consoles nowadays being semi pc's, its all good for developers and ease of development but it kills the purpose of the console... to me consoles should always be exotic and peculiar systems that people come about and made with different ideas to solve different problems in computer entertainment, and exclusive games always push these machines to the max.
We have seen that with PS3 and the results are no back compat at all yet. Then there was the horrible development issues with the Cell etc…

Last edited:

kingyala

Banned
We have seen that with PS3 and the results are no back compat at all yet.
i hate backcompat aswell it just holds hardware back if the ps2 didnt support ps1 bc it would have had a more powerfull cpu and maybe more memory the same way as ps3 money was wasted adding a ps2 apu on a ps3... and now ps5 with x86 processor money is also wasted in having a mainstream pc architecture just for the sake of making life easier for devs and supporting ps4, This is why we cant have good stuff.. we cant have great technologies and at the ame time supoort old technologies.. bc should exist in software only otherwise just get a pc and download an emulator.. bc is like purchasing an electric car that can also run on gasoline... why???

sainraja

Exclusives do give each console its own unique personality so I think they are important. Third-party games overlap between almost all parties, making them shared experiences, not enough on their own to identify with a platform. Now MS has started a new thing with buying out publishers with IP that has traditionally been multi-platform, so those games becoming exclusive is a bit of a shame.

While timed exclusivity of third-party games was the old normal, buyouts of publishers with IP is the new normal, which is unfortunate.

MikeM

i hate backcompat aswell it just holds hardware back if the ps2 didnt support ps1 bc it would have had a more powerfull cpu and maybe more memory the same way as ps3 money was wasted adding a ps2 apu on a ps3... and now ps5 with x86 processor money is also wasted in having a mainstream pc architecture just for the sake of making life easier for devs and supporting ps4, This is why we cant have good stuff.. we cant have great technologies and at the ame time supoort old technologies.. bc should exist in software only otherwise just get a pc and download an emulator.. bc is like purchasing an electric car that can also run on gasoline... why???
Going and staying with x86 was probably a request from the devs. Times to make games are already long right now and I don’t think changing everything every generation will help them succeed in what they want to deliver.

Filben

If we go for the extremes I'd rather have no exclusives at all instead of every game is only available on one platform and then you'd only have like 33 to 50% of the games on your platform of choice. I wouldn't want to have that.

The only advantage of exclusives I see is they run a bit better as in a bit more stable, better performance and/or better visuals. But not necessarily by huge margins.

Top Bottom