• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Strange’s Erasure Of Tibet Is A Political Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie7

Banned
Very long and thought provoking article regarding Marvel (and other studios) and China pandering:

http://screenrant.com/doctor-strange-china-tibet-ancient-one/

For Hollywood studios looking to maximize profits on their latest blockbuster, securing a release in China is a serious priority. The country’s 1.4 billion-strong population makes it the second largest film market in the world, and it could potentially even surpass the U.S. film market within the next decade. Ensuring that a release makes it onto the quota of 34 foreign films each year that China imports on a revenue sharing basis can make a big difference to a movie’s overall box office haul, but securing this theatrical release often comes with some form of compromise.

When it comes to superhero movies, perhaps no production company has been more successful at charming China than Marvel Studios. Last year’s team-up Avengers: Age of Ultron grossed over $240 million at the Chinese box office, a quarter of its total worldwide gross. Though Hollywood movies only receive 25% of the Chinese box office take, $60 million is not to be sniffed at.

Before Marvel movies can make their way into China’s theaters, however, they must first undergo scrutiny by the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television, the government body in charge of approving media for consumption by the Chinese populace, and keeping an eye out for any scenes that could be perceived as portraying China, the Chinese government, or the Chinese people in a negative light. Perhaps the most notable example of Marvel’s efforts to keep the SAPPRFT happy and cater to Chinese audiences is Iron Man 3, in which the Mandarin, a villain of Chinese origin in the comics, was portrayed as being of ambiguous ethnicity and eventually revealed to be nothing but a sock puppet created by the true villain, Aldrich Killian. Moreover, the Chinese version of Iron Man 3 included additional scenes featuring Chinese movie stars Fan Bingbing and Wang Xueqi as the surgeons who are finally able to remove the shrapnel from Tony Stark’s chest.

It scarcely needs to be said, but Marvel’s decision to quietly excise Tibet from Doctor Strange’s origin story is not apolitical. The studio has absolutely taken a side on the issue of the Tibet-China conflict, and it has sided with the Chinese government – an obvious choice, considering that the SAPPRFT is the gatekeeper to China’s massive population and substantial Marvel fanbase. But unlike awkwardly shoehorned scenes with Chinese actors or product placements for Chinese milk drinks, the erasure of Tibet from a major Hollywood blockbuster isn’t so easy to just shrug off. At worst, it could be argued that Marvel is being complicit in the oppression of a people whose troubled history has included human rights violations such as false imprisonment and torture by Chinese officials, many horrifying instances of Tibetans self-immolating in protest, and ongoing restrictions of freedom of religion, speech and the press. With all that in mind, Marvel’s decision to play along with the Chinese government’s stance on Tibet, even by simply avoiding acknowledgement of its existence, suddenly doesn’t seem so harmless.

From a business perspective, the decision makes perfect sense. China is, as previously mentioned, the largest film market in the world outside of the U.S., and as far as Marvel’s primary market is concerned the Tibet-China conflict is (generally speaking) a non-issue. The majority of moviegoers in the Western hemisphere probably couldn’t even point to Tibet on a map, let alone care deeply enough about its independence to boycott a movie just because its protagonist goes on a spiritual journey to Nepal instead. People tend to care more about the issues that are closer to home and most relevant to their own daily lives. It’s one of the reasons why the removal of Tibet from Doctor Strange’s origin story has been so vastly overshadowed by the continuing conversation about whitewashing in Hollywood and the lack of meaty roles for Asian-American actors.

It could be argued that even without the shiny appeal of China’s box office, Doctor Strange still would have ended up changing settings in order to avoid the potential pitfalls of setting a fun supernatural adventure in a real-world hotbed of political and social issues (Cargill’s example of a comic book character travelling to Palestine for his training is an apt one). In this case, however, the omission of Tibet is a political move precisely because it serves a particular status quo. Perhaps the best comparison is the fact that no Disney movie has ever featured an explicitly gay character; even in the MCU, characters like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.‘s Joey Gutierrez and Jessica Jones‘ Jeri Hogarth are kept strictly on the TV side. While some might argue that this is simply a case of Disney not wanting to take a stance on a sensitive topic like LGBT representation, the total lack of LGBT characters is, in itself, a political stance; with each new movie that only features heterosexual characters, Disney incrementally reinforces the idea that gay characters aren’t suitable for media aimed at children.

The more cynical mind might argue that Marvel’s push for diversity is just as money-driven as pandering to China, since studies have shown that films with greater diversity among their casts perform better at the box office.

That, really, is the crux of the issue; with hundreds of millions of dollars on the line, any film studio is always going to listen to money first and morals second. But while big budget superhero movies that touch on political issues tend to stick to messages that are either largely non-contentious (i.e. the X-Men movies’ stance that discrimination is bad) or abstract (i.e. Captain America: Civil War‘s question of whether people with superpowers should be subject to oversight), it’s basically impossible for such an influential piece of media to avoid politics entirely.

Arnie7

Banned
disgusting move by marvel

Yeah. But to be fair its not just Marvel. This is just another example of all Hollywood studios bending over backwards to the growing influence of Chinese market. Only gonna get worse in future.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Shameful what they'll do to pander to a foreign audience.

Wouldn't be the first time.

nzDMTIO.jpg

massoluk

Banned
I'd argue again it is totally unneeded pandering unless they make the Ancient One comes out in support of Tibet Independence

Yeah, i thought of this when we had that other thread about why they Swinton.

It's pretty distasteful. Thankfully i'm not interested in the movie, or else i'd have felt very guilty watching it.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Didn't that Hong Kong stuff actually hurt "The Dark Knight" in China? I remember something like government censors were upset that Batman would infringe on the sovereignty of the nation to bring back Lau.

I'd think they'd be more salty over what Joker did to Lau. Nolan gave no fucks.

I feel like I'm missing the reason why I should be afraid or disgusted by Hollywood's trend of accommodating Chinese audiences. Why should I feel bitter that Chinese people buy a lot of movie tickets?

It was kinda funny to see George Takei really blow up about this on Facebook the other day saying "Marvel thinks we're all idiots! Join with me and condemn Marvel for this heinous act!" and most of the comments said "Nah, I think your wrong George. We're good."

Personally, I'd like to give Marvel the benefit of the doubt since all the movies have offered new takes of characters. They probably would've gone with Tilda doing a non-Asian Ancient One regardless of intending to pander.

As someone who's not too familiar with the bad blood between China and Tibet, is it a unanimous thing in China, our is it a government plus a portion of the general population? I just wonder if maybe there'd be a portion of the population who wouldn't care and would want to see the movie despite the government forbidding it for THEIR reasons.

I mean sure, it sucks that Marvel has the greed to "allow" this and not say "screw your politics China, we're going for accuracy!" But I really feel like getting more people to be able to see the movie without any political drama attached isn't the worst thing in the world.

Fuchsdh

I'd argue again it is totally unneeded pandering unless they make the Ancient One comes out in support of Tibet Independence

That's what I was wondering. Couldn't they have never bothered to put a title card of "TIBET" up and just left the location he ends up to train nameless like so many movies? Or would China still have vetoed it? I guess they figured to steer way clear of any potential iceberg.

Mivey

Well, Cumberbatch doesn't seem particularly Tibetian anyway. Maybe if they had picked an Asian actor and then decided not to use the unusual background, that would have been weird.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I love the MCU but this is totally fucked.

A bad sign for things to come as Hollywood continues to pander to China more and more :/

kswiston

Well, Cumberbatch doesn't seem particularly Tibetian anyway. Maybe if they had picked an Asian actor and then decided not to use the unusual background, that would have been weird.

Doctor Strange was never Tibetan. He went to Tibet to seek ancient wisdom. Because East Asia equaled that and Kung Fu to Americans in the 60s.

Every major studio has been pandering to China (specifically, their Ministry of Culture that needs to approve foreign entertainment) for years.

It's why the new Ghostbusters headquarters is in a Chinese restaurant. It's why Tony Stark goes to "the best doctors in the world" in China. It's why the Chinese Space Admin involvement is entirely positive in The Martian (there's a much more lengthy political maneuvering battle in the book). It's why Sandra Bullock gets into the Chinese Space Station in Gravity. It's why parts of Looper were originally set in Paris but moved to Shanghai. It's why in '2012', the only country to think ahead to build the arks is China. It's why in Days of Future Past, one of the last hiding places from the Sentinels is China. It's why Transformers: Age of Extinction has that whole "China will defend Hong Kong" scene. It's why Pacific Rim has a whole act in Hong Kong - despite being built upon a combination of franchises from Japan.

If you know what to look for, it's absolutely rampant in Hollywood right now and has been for some time. And, to clarify, these films aren't pandering the Chinese audience - they're pandering to the Chinese government. Because if you piss them off, you don't get bad reviews or low box office numbers - you don't get to release your film, period. Or their 'totally-not-a-bribe' fee quadruples.

We have the same issue when trying to get games released in China too.

Abounder

Banned
This is a studio that will have 17x consecutive movies where the lead is a white dude. In other words this kind of political statement is unfortunately expected, MCU is going to play it safe for the masses/moviegoers...they are not in the business to make movies like 'The Interview'. Even Indiana Jones pissed off people, and not for just being subpar, Russia did not like being villains, etc.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Half serious question: So are we acknowledging that self-censorship in artistic media is a thing? Or is it only safely ignored when its about covering up the bewbz in my vidyagaems? (yes, I know these are two different circumstances)

Kalentan

Every major studio has been pandering to China (specifically, their Ministry of Culture that needs to approve foreign entertainment) for years.

It's why the new Ghostbusters headquarters is in a Chinese restaurant. It's why Tony Stark goes to "the best doctors in the world" in China. It's why the Chinese Space Admin involvement is entirely positive in The Martian (there's a much more lengthy political maneuvering battle in the book). It's why Sandra Bullock gets into the Chinese Space Station in Gravity. It's why parts of Looper were originally set in Paris but moved to Shanghai. It's why in '2012', the only country to think ahead to build the arks is China. It's why in Days of Future Past, one of the last hiding places from the Sentinels is China. It's why Transformers: Age of Extinction has that whole "China will defend Hong Kong" scene. It's why Pacific Rim has a whole act in Hong Kong - despite being built upon a combination of franchises from Japan.

If you know what to look for, it's absolutely rampant in Hollywood right now and has been for some time. And, to clarify, these films aren't pandering the Chinese audience - they're pandering to the Chinese government. Because if you piss them off, you don't get bad reviews or low box office numbers - you don't get to release your film, period. Or their 'totally-not-a-bribe' fee quadruples.

You know, once you start laying it out like that... It seems almost kind of scary. Like, we're used to propaganda coming from our own movies about our own culture... But it's just strange to see it coming from us but it's propaganda for another country and not our own.

My fear inside wants me to think this will only get worse and worse over time and I guess it would be kind of bad for me to say that I fear this almost rising prominence of Chinese culture that is slowly but surely seeping it's way into everything. Though it is possible I see something, where there is nothing.

samn

It could be argued that even without the shiny appeal of China’s box office, Doctor Strange still would have ended up changing settings in order to avoid the potential pitfalls of setting a fun supernatural adventure in a real-world hotbed of political and social issues

As if that stopped Iron Man, very much a 'fun' and 'silly' movie, from being set in Afghanistan.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

: * (

I feel like I'm missing the reason why I should be afraid or disgusted by Hollywood's trend of accommodating Chinese audiences. Why should I feel bitter that Chinese people buy a lot of movie tickets?
If, say, the Russian economy were healthier and they were buying lots of movie tickets, would anyone here feel bitter if Hollywood took a similar approach to homosexual characters and stories?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
If, say, the Russian economy were healthier and they were buying lots of movie tickets, would anyone here feel bitter if Hollywood took a similar approach to homosexual characters and stories?

But they pretty much have been doing this and still do this in the US

LakeEarth

But they won't put Chinese actors in their movies tho.

Not for major roles, but lots of action blockbusters have been slipping in actors who are famous in China for minor roles. Or sometimes adding a C-plot that is made specifically for Chinese markets (Iron Man 3).

I am Han Chinese. I've spent time in Tibet. My experience there?

Tibetans care significantly less about the Tibet issue than most Westerners do. The deeper you go into Tibet and the TAR, the more and more you see posters of both Mao Zedong and Xi Jinping. It gives me the impression that it is 100% a pet issue with Westerners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom