• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Strange Game?

I'm sick of Marvel as pretty much everyone else at this point. However, since I was a kid my favorite Marvel comic book character was Doctor Strange.

While there are video games that feature Doctor Strange, he's never had his own game.

One reason I guess is because he's not one of the more popular characters, at least not until the movies came out. I'm probably one of the few people who knew about Doctor Strange and his backstory long before the films.

I'm guessing the other issue is that while he has a plethora of powers, or should I say magic, he's not as physically as strong as the average superhero and might be physically weak in some ways. In some ways, not much different than a mage in Dungeons & Dragons. That would probably prevent him from having a video game where he would have to climb and jump and resort to more physical means. Yes, he's knowledgeable in martial arts but that isn't good enough.

In fact I would say it's the opposite reason why we don't have a Superman game. Superman is too physically powerful and it would be hard to make a game around him.

But as a lifelong fan, it would be something I would like to see.

Yes, I'm burnt out on Marvel as much as everyone else but you can see here how much people are raving about Spider-Man 2. I guess I just want to see my favorite Marvel comic book character have his own time.

Last edited:
I'm sick of Marvel as pretty much everyone else at this point. However, since I was a kid my favorite Marvel comic book character was Doctor Strange.

While there are video games that feature Doctor Strange, he's never had his own game.

One reason I guess is because he's not one of the more popular characters, at least not until the movies came out. I'm probably one of the few people who knew about Doctor Strange and his backstory long before the films.

I'm guessing the other issue is that while he has a plethora of powers, or should I say magic, he's not as physically as strong as the average superhero and might be physically weak in some ways. In some ways, not much different than a mage in Dungeons & Dragons. That would probably prevent him from having a video game where he would have to climb and jump and resort to more physical means. Yes, he's knowledgeable in martial arts but that ain't good enough.

In fact I would say it's the opposite reason why we don't have a Superman game. Superman is too physically powerful and it would be hard to make a game around him.

Yes, I'm burnt out on Marvel as much as everyone else but you can see here how much people are raving about Spider-Man 2. I guess I just want to see my favorite Marvel comic book character have his own time.

Well I'm burnt out on both Marvel and DC

That's how I feel towards Superheros in general

I love Doctor Strange would love to see more of him especially in a videogame. He's one of my top favorites in the Marvel Universe

Last edited:
Well I'm burnt out on both Marvel and DC

That's how I feel towards Superheros in general

I love Doctor Strange would love to see more of him. He's one of my top favorites in the last Marvel Universe
The DCU movies are ALL horrible but when they have standalone movies like Joker, which was excellent, they can be a real win. Standalone Batman movies also seem to be good although I haven't seen the newest, The Batman.

When it comes to DC, I would have to go with Sandman as being my favorite. I grew up with that during my goth phase in the 90s. Even had a Didi shirt.

However, I saw the trailer and clips of The Sandman Netflix show at my first thought is "no thanks" to that.

The DCU movies are ALL horrible but when they have standalone movies like Joker, which was excellent, they can be a real win. Standalone Batman movies also seem to be good although I haven't seen the newest, The Batman.

When it comes to DC, I would have to go with Sandman as being my favorite. I grew up with that during my goth phase in the 90s. Even had a Didi shirt.

However, I saw the trailer and clips of The Sandman Netflix show at my first thought is "no thanks" to that.

Joker was a horrible movie. I have a ton of issues with that film especially with the predictable ass script and horrible dialogue. So overrated and overhyped

On the DC side I love The Batman film and waiting for The Penguin show and The Batman 2. As for James Gunn DCU. I'm taking a wait and see approach to it. Personally I wish Matt Reeves was given the keys to the whole DC Universe instead of James Gunn

The Sandman was always liberal though. I remember reading the comics a couple of years ago. I know that the creator of the comics was heavily involved with the show, Neil Gaimen. So that's a interesting complaint that you have. I found the Sandman comics equally as woke

As for MCU, I wish they used Doctor Strange more. I admit to only reading one Comic Crossover of his. Which was Damnation. I ended up loving it. My love of him comes from the MCU I admit. I'm going to eventually start reading more Doctor Strange comics. Right now I'm on Jason Aaron Thor Run. Which so far is OK

Even if the movie is standalone ala Marvel or DC, I'm tired of Super Hero Movies/Shows in general. Even if they end up good. It's just Hollywood milking stuff to the point of people not caring. Look at all the Live Action Adaptations of Videogame and Anime that's been showing up. I personally don't expect Hollywood to last in 10 to 20 years.

As for a Doctor Strange game I would love to see one. I recently got Midnight Suns off a Steam Sale and I'm pretty sure he's featured prominently in that game. It's a Strategy RPG with Card and XCOM gameplay elements so not sure if that's your cup of tea

Midnight suns is as close as you'll get.
I actually bought it partially because he's in it. The game seems pretty cool and I like that Chthon is the main villain but I'm not into games where it is just one big combat board unless it's an RTS game like Halo Wars or a combination of explore/skirmish like X-Com.

Joker was a horrible movie. I have a ton of issues with that film especially with the predictable ass script and horrible dialogue. So overrated and overhyped

On the DC side I love The Batman film and waiting for The Penguin show and The Batman 2. As for James Gunn DCU. I'm taking a wait and see approach to it. Personally I wish Matt Reeves was given the keys to the whole DC Universe instead of James Gunn

The Sandman was always liberal though. I remember reading the comics a couple of years ago. I know that the creator of the comics was heavily involved with the show, Neil Gaimen. So that's a interesting complaint that you have. I found the Sandman comics equally as woke

As for MCU, I wish they used Doctor Strange more. I admit to only reading one Comic Crossover of his. Which was Damnation. I ended up loving it. My love of him comes from the MCU I admit. I'm going to eventually start reading more Doctor Strange comics. Right now I'm on Jason Aaron Thor Run. Which so far is OK

Even if the movie is standalone ala Marvel or DC, I'm tired of Super Hero Movies/Shows in general. Even if they end up good. It's just Hollywood milking stuff to the point of people not caring. Look at all the Live Action Adaptations of Videogame and Anime that's been showing up. I personally don't expect Hollywood to last in 10 to 20 years.

As for a Doctor Strange game I would love to see one. I recently got Midnight Suns off a Steam Sale and I'm pretty sure he's featured prominently in that game. It's a Strategy RPG with Card and XCOM gameplay elements so not sure if that's your cup of tea
Batman feels like it’s the last big mainstream blockbuster movie franchise that gets to also be a real film at the same time

Even if the Batman isn’t perfect. Matt Reeves effort feels closer to say a Captain Fantastic or a Se7en or a Nightcralwer or say Sicario than it does like No Way Home, Jurassic World, Fast and Furious. Garbage like that

Last edited:

Audiophile

Gold Member
Assisted by modern SSDs & I/O the two marvel games I've wanted to see since the start of this gen are Doctor Strange & Ant-Man.

Doctor Strange could be morphing in and out of different universes/dimensions and Ant-Man could be going from a giant towering over a city to literally the size of an ant climbing down a drain or routing around in the grass of someone's yard (like Honey I Shrunk The Kids).

Paired with some sort of micro-geometry system like nanite and the ability to just load in completely different assets in a split second; the latter especially could be a completely new way to utilise these technologies.

Last edited:
Batman feels like it’s the last big mainstream blockbuster movie franchise that gets to also be a real film at the same time

Even if the Batman isn’t perfect. Matt Reeves effort feels closer to say a Captain Fantastic or a Se7en or a Nightcralwer or say Sicario than it does like No Way Home, Jurassic World, Fast and Furious. Garbage like that

Well for me I like both types of film that you mentioned and I hated No Way Home and Captain Fantastic. It doesn't matter to me what's considered film. I always found that that argument really pretentious and is one of the reasons why Hollywood is dying lol

Last edited:
Well for me I like both types of film that you mentioned and I hated No Way Home and Captain Fantastic. It doesn't matter to me what's considered film. I always found that that argument really pretentious and is one of the reasons why Hollywood is dying lol
Eh I respectfully disagree. To me there’s nothing pretentious about identifying what has artistry and what’s corporate slop but I suppose we’re veering off topic

There are a lot of Superman games. No good (or recent) ones, but still.

I would find Superman hard to do when it comes to videogames. Unless you strip him of his powers using Kryptonite

I for one would love a Green Lantern CRPG though where he's basically Space Cop and you go to other planets than Earth. Would be such a cool concept

Last edited:

AmuroChan

I would find Superman hard to do when it comes to videogames. Unless you strip him of his powers using Kryptonite

Supes is hard to do if the story takes place on Earth, but you can certainly do a Supes game that takes place in the cosmic realm where there are a plethora of characters that are as strong or stronger than Supes.

Assisted by modern SSDs & I/O the two marvel games I've wanted to see since the start of this gen are Doctor Strange & Ant-Man.

Doctor Strange could be morphing in and out of different universes/dimensions and Ant-Man could be going from a giant towering over a city to literally the size of an ant climbing down a drain or routing around in the grass of someone's yard (like Honey I Shrunk The Kids).

Paired with some sort of micro-geometry system like nanite and the ability to just load in completely different assets in a split second; the latter especially could be a completely new way to utilise these technologies.
I'd love a Daredevil game but I lack the imagination as to how you'd leverage his senses in a meaningful way. I'm guessing his traversal would be along the lines of what you see in the recent Spider-man and Batman Arkham games.

Supes is hard to do if the story takes place on Earth, but you can certainly do a Supes game that takes place in the cosmic realm where there are a plethora of characters that are as strong or stronger than Supes.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. You probably have someone like Darkseid as the final boss or whatever.

I think the 2006 Superman Returns game had the right idea of tying his healthbar to the city, but the gameplay was otherwise mediocre.

EDIT: Actually recently I imagined Superman done in a Telltales style game like what they did with Batman.

Last edited:
I think the 2006 Superman Returns game had the right idea of tying his healthbar to the city, but the gameplay was otherwise mediocre.
Reminds me slightly of the Atari 2600 Superman game where he was invincible but you had a timer you had to beat before Luthor's bomb went off in the city.

Last edited:

Audiophile

Gold Member
I'd love a Daredevil game but I lack the imagination as to how you'd leverage his senses in a meaningful way. I'm guessing his traversal would be along the lines of what you see in the recent Spider-man and Batman Arkham games.
I recall thinking a few years back (in fact I think there was a thread on it): the big draw of a Daredevil game would be setting it just in Hell's Kitchen; so rather than spreading themselves thin during development by building an entire city, they could make it ultra-dense and detailed, making interiors for pretty much everything, fully accessible roofs and fire escapes. Fully simulated with maximum interaction. It'd be along the lines of Warren Spector's "One City Block" idea where all the effort is inwards rather than outwards.

If it did well they could repurpose it for a Jessica Jones private detective game and an Elektra game; and even do Harlem for Luke Cage, Queens + select other NYC & external linear locations for The Punisher and of course there's Iron Fist and others.

Each could be a small dense area built for that title to be the best it can be, then eventually they could all expand into each other in a modular way with each hero having new missions in other areas.

You could have a "Marvel Street Level Launcher" to begin with where you can get each game as it comes out, maybe each title could be 50-60% the cost of a full price game. But eventually it'll evolve int a seamless experience where you can just instantly switch characters and do your thing with each of them as and when you want.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Someone once made the joke it's just a black screen. I'd love a Daredevil game, set in the 80's and inspired by Frank Miller's stories. The game would need some sort of heart beat mechanic for combat. Toss in some crime scenes, investigations, mystery and some court room mechanicss. Bullseye, Kingpin, Elektra, Punisher, The Hand, Stick and New York Gang Wars with all the famous crime bosses. Yes I've dreamed about this one too much. Combat a mix between Spider-man, Arkham and Ghosts, with different stances to represent his boxing, martial arts and ninja skills.

Last edited:

mdkirby

For sure. Would love that, I doubt we’ll get it tho. And to be honest the next super hero game i really wanna see would be a Sony exclusive maybe by insomniac based on “the boys”…with the same creative team behind the show involved.

I'm guessing the other issue is that while he has a plethora of powers, or should I say magic, he's not as physically as strong as the average superhero and might be physically weak in some ways. In some ways, not much different than a mage in Dungeons & Dragons. That would probably prevent him from having a video game where he would have to climb and jump and resort to more physical means. Yes, he's knowledgeable in martial arts but that isn't good enough.

Who's burnt on Marvel?!!!

I'm burnt on some of their low effort pandering, but the MCU has hardly been realized, narratively.

Also, Strange is the Sorcerer Supreme, he's one of the most powerful characters in the universe. If anything the MCU has gimped him, so far.

A Strange game would need to be built on something like Forsaken's engine. It could work, but his popularity isn't great enough to carry a solo effort.

I have been thinking about this too OP, and I don't think the time is right quite yet for a Doctor Strange game.

We finally have SSD technology reaching new heights in terms of loading entirely new levels and areas in a matter of seconds, but what needs to be fixed next would be how it's handled when in combination with texture-pop in, ray tracing/light bouncing, etc.

main-qimg-0037030d14e1da53d7f0cac62a16c53d

I think a game that can narratively take you anywhere in the universe or even multiverse(for a sequel) at the snap of a finger would be an incredible experience. Also, the mirror dimension combined with this would be insane too.

8919669-ezgif-4-5d21302cd7.gif

afe5e8a3ae12fd8aa61b861e4b03b5cea9b999f5.gif

SirTerry-T

Outside of Ditko issues, you have to go 70's for the Doctor Strange stuff, the Steve Englehart/Frank Brunner run was fantastic.

That's one thing the second Dr Strange movie did right ...tapping more into the quirky horror stuff.

"The Oath" mini series is well worth your time too.

Hrk69

He was pretty cool in Midnight Suns

I can see him having his own game in the future too

Last edited:

Larxia

I was going to mention Midnight Suns but I see people already did :messenger_grinning_smiling:
I'm playing it right now, started it a few days ago, and I'm really enjoying it.

Ozriel

M$FT

But Strange can fly, and defensive Magic can be used to help him resist damage. No need to climb and jump everywhere.

BlackTron

Superman could work on Earth as well. It would just need to be a game actually designed around him and not your typical open-world game filled with enemies and a Superman skin over it.

It sounds silly on paper but the fastest way to convey how it could work is a cross between Batman, Sonic and Crazy Taxi; in Crazy Taxi you don't die, you just run out of time. Make the challenge about being all the places you need to be to do all the saving. Failing doesn't mean dying, it means failing to save people.

Doesn't have to be just one city, you could be managing crises all over the world, simultaneously. Good thing you have super speed.

SirTerry-T

They could use a similar sort of mechanic that Bloober Studio used in The Medium to convey Doc using astral protection.

One thing....they would have to make the game look extremely "trippy"...one epilepsy warning wouldn't be enough.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I always believed that a VR exclusive game would be perfect for Doctor Strange. PS VR 2 would be perfect for this.
  • For instance, you would have to use hand gestures to cast spells.
  • Each spell has a particular hand gesture / arm movement.
  • You could mess up a spell by doing it wrong and that could potentially open up wrong portals that invite enemies or could teleport you instantly somewhere else (PS5 SSD / Rift Apart type).
  • Finger tracking would also come into play while casting magic and shooting.

Top Bottom