• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

does a good F1 racer exist for consoles?

plik

i have all concoles from this gen and last (and before). can someone recommend a good Formula 1 racing game? i prefer good handling and physics before graphics, but it helps when a game looks good.
anyone?

Keio

For a Finer World
Slightly OT, but wasn't Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix 3 or 4 supposed to come out on the DC? That would've been great, but...

I'd say that the N64 F1 games were the best console F1 games.

But your best bet would be GT3 if you just want to drive an F1 car.

Dekajelly

Keio said:
Slightly OT, but wasn't Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix 3 or 4 supposed to come out on the DC? That would've been great, but...

Grand Prix 3 was for Dreamcast and Grand Prix 4 was for Xbox

IIRC the xbox game ws complete but never released because Microprose went under, either way I have GP4 on PC with the 2004 season data so I don't give a shit. :D

Klover

I was actually quite fond of F1 World Grand Prix (1 and 2) for the Dreamcast. Nice solid frame rate with good car feel.

Compared to any other console F1 game, those two seemed to be "at least" good enough in every area instead of lacking in some places. You didn't need to sift through pages and pages of minute settings to change the way your car handled, but you still had enough control on what you could change. You could get you car set up properly without worrying about a 1 degree change in track temperature screwing up everything.

The AI could at least be challenging, if set to the right difficulty levels. Either way, I liked the way the car handling really changed based on the tire and fuel conditions in the car. Nice to see some reward from not overdriving your car and using some finesse in the races.

The F1 World Grand Prix games for the N64 were quite good too for their time. They just feel really dated now (especially with the lack of analog gas and braking)

Scoobert

Just get F1 Challenge for the PC. It's really the best out there and a ton of great mods. Plus it can be had for $10-20 right now. It's so worth it, you won't regret it. It's also EA's last F1 game and they did a great job.

pilonv1

Dekajelly said:
The Formula One series from Sony.

2003 was a step in the right direction, and yes it is the best F1 game on a console by far. But it's not perfect.

Nothing will beat Grand Prix Legends though. Grand Prix Challenge was good but the intolerable flickering killed it for me, much more than the twitchy handling.

And how about an update to Grand Prix World (F1 management sim)?

slightly off topic, but Neman-Haas Racing for PSX was the best top tier racer i have ever played.
im a big f1 fan, but i am very jaded by the endless gfx updates but no feature update (2-player on screen championship) btw, NO-ONE enjoys multiplayer which only has two 2 cars. no-one!!!!

Neman-Haas had two player on screen full championship mode and AI cars (although only 6), the mix of ovals and street-circuits made for a great season.

great game, great highspeed racing, fuel mix added a nice strategic element to the races too...

Keio

For a Finer World
IIRC the xbox game ws complete but never released because Microprose went under, either way I have GP4 on PC with the 2004 season data so I don't give a shit.

Thanks for the info - I remember waiting for GP3 on DC and ending up disappointed.

GP4s cancellation was also a pity, because GP4 played really well. I'm just too shit at driving w/ full realism & a wheel, but on a pc I can't bear turning on driving aids :) So I was waiting for a "more casual" Xbox version where I could just race and show that annoying German some racing moves...

thorns

Banned
Toca Race Driver 2 Xbox has some formula 1 copy cars that you can race on some of the real tracks. The biggest thing is that it's fully online, and it's quite enjoyable racing those cars around with 12 people. The handling is a bit strange though, the cars tend to "jump" a lot..

Top Bottom