• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone here spend a significant amount of their gaming time using cloud/remote play?

Banjo64

cumsessed
I played through Spyro: Ripto’s Rage, Spyro; Year of the Dragon and Spider-Man (2018) using remote play (PS Vita and laptop).

The experience was mostly fine. The Vita’s wifi card isn’t great, so my laptop ran it better.

Game play wise, there’s some tricky platforming challenges on both games. For those tight sections I had to use my PS4.

Yesterday I tried Everybody’s Golf and Dirt 5 through xCloud using touch controls. The experience again was pretty good, but I was sat next to my router.

Has anyone else played through a meaty game this way? Do you use your phone, tablet or PC? Do you have a backbone or kishi, and what’s that like?

I’m thinking of trying to play through Starfield it’s entirety through cloud.

TrebleShot

I am recovering from Flu and yesterday had all the days football on the TV couldn’t be bothered to sit at my desktop or fire on the PS5 so I sat and chilled on the sofa playing Forza Horizon 5 via xcloud on my steam deck , it was great.

The tech is getting better and better and once they understand how to market it properly it will kick off in a big way.

Tams

Gold Member
No. It was at best a stuttery mess for me.

And I forgot to cancel the trial, so I ended up paying for GeForce NOW for over a year, I didn't use and couldn't even use well.

Last edited:

baphomet

Like what? Because honestly, if you have good internet, most single player games play perfectly well.

I have gigabit fiber.

If you think it plays perfectly fine then great for you. As someone who actually does input and display lag testing, I wouldnt play that shit if it was the only way on earth to play video games.

I remember people saying they couldn't tell the difference between a terrible 96kbps mp3 and a cd back in the 90s too.

Fabieter

I tried both several times acceoss different services and didn't think it was worth it. Maybe 1gb connection isn't enough rho I don't know.

I’m thinking of trying to play through Starfield it’s entirety through cloud.
Disgusted Jim Carrey GIF

Why would you do such atrocities?

I mean playing a shooter using cloud gaming. Not starfield itself. I probably test starfield to even though I'm no expecting to enjoy it.

Last edited:
I've tried it a few times but I really don't like the image quality when playing through the cloud. It looks so blurry. I also kept getting weird screen glitches. The experience was OK but still miles off actually being something I want to use often.

Holammer

No significant amount, but it's getting more common for me to use Steam's Remote Play Together to play with friends. Regular games and emulated classics via RetroArch.
Annoyingly Sackboy disabled the feature. Co-op denied!

ReBurn

Gold Member
I haven't had any major gameplay issues with streaming. Both PS and Xbox streaming work really well for me. I spend probably 25% of my gaming time streaming. Most of my game pass quests are done via streaming. Burned 30 hamburgers in Overcooked 2 just last night.

Skifi28

Remote play very rarely when I'm too lazy to change rooms. It kind of works, but I wouldn't call it a great experience.

Last edited:

reksveks

Yeah, I do. It's hard to get as many steps that I do if I am sitting on my arse playing games so am using remote play alot.

Fredrik

No.
But I used to play Control through Geforce Now to get ray-tracing when I only had a 1080ti. Played some Cyberpunk too that way.

simpatico

I travel for work. When this stuff is lean enough to run on hotel wifi, I'm going to be using it a lot. Look forward to playing my PC library on my MBP on the road.

Rubik8

I have gigabit fiber.

If you think it plays perfectly fine then great for you. As someone who actually does input and display lag testing, I wouldnt play that shit if it was the only way on earth to play video games.

I remember people saying they couldn't tell the difference between a terrible 96kbps mp3 and a cd back in the 90s too.
This guy gets it.

Shut0wen

Xcloud imo is the best streaming so far while sonys has never improved, which is ashame because they have a ton of better games to stream then xbox but the input lag is just insane borderline unplayable

Jimmy_liv

I'd love it to work properly but any of the time I would actually use cloud gaming I just don't have a decent connection.

Staying in a hotel for a business trip - hotel Internet is too inconsistent.
On holiday by a beach or pool - hotel Internet isnt very good.

Shwing

I use PlayStation Remote Play (PS5) on my Android Tablet using an old PS4 DualShock controller, and it's fantastic tbh. Very close an experience to sitting infront of actual tv. The PS5 is wired into the home network - tablet is, of course, wifi.

Banjo64

cumsessed
So just today tried to play Sea of Thieves through xCloud on my laptop, thought it’d be nice to use my Dualsense.

It’s not supported, but the Dualshock 4 is?

Not gunna lie I just assumed any controller my laptop picked up would be compatible.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Technically yes, as I use Quest 2 wirelessly with my PC, which would sort of count as remote play. Works great, but my PC is hard wired to the router and then I am like 6 feet from the router so it's basically the best case scenario.

Markio128

Nah. I tried streaming both PS and Xbox games on my iPad and they were both equally rough experiences. And I have the Switch if I want to play remotely.

I use gamepass on my phone daily, when the GF is watching TV I just play MLB the show with my Razer Kishi, I have no lag so it works out fantastic.

flying_sq

No, I tried to use steam link a few times, worked okay for turn based stuff like civ, but if you want to play anything more than that, it was trash.

Rockondevil

Gold Member
I occasionally play a game pass game through the cloud if it’s new and I want to just give it a try before I commit to the download or not.

99% of the time it runs good enough to play and just has the odd stutter.
I’m Australian with garbage internet. Your gigabit means nothing if the latency is bad.

PrimeX

Geforce now is the only way I play these days. I will subscribe for ultimate tier next month to upgrade to 4k@120 and other goodies that come with the rtx 4080.
My switch is barely used and I don't intend to invest in any other hardware beside my NUC12WSHi5 and the Dualsense controller.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yup. At least half of my Xbox/Sony gaming is done via remote play or cloud. I play at work on my lunch break with this:

Fr2ieTzaYAAhD9c

I was playing RE4 Remake (PS5 remote play) today on my phone. I did the maze section.

Cloud/remote works well for me at work and home because at both places, my speeds are 650+ down and 65+ up. I can’t say I’ve tried it anywhere else.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I use xcloud and used to use stadia around 4 days a week when I'm waiting for my daughter to get out of school and dance class. I often use it to sample game pass games as well. Overall, it's been a great method to play during times where I would have been stuck watching YouTube in the past.

I streamed all of Spec Ops: The Line cause I saw it wasn't going to be in the PS+ Premium lineup after the PS+ transition.
That's the only time i've spent more than like an hour streaming/remote play.

Top Bottom