• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone here use Affinity Photo on iPad?

Karmic Raze

Yeah, so I use Affinity Photo on my iPad Pro a lot, but the thing that’s been bothering me is the images look sharp and crisp while in the program, but as soon as I save them and try to upload, they get really fuzzy/blurry and lose a lot of quality. I’ve been using cubeupload.com as suggested by someone on here as a uncompressed uploading service, but I don’t think that’s where the issue lies. I think it lies in the actual image being saved. I am saving it as a png, so the loss of quality doesn’t make much sense to me. Does anyone have ANY idea what’s going on here? It’s bugging the shit out of me. I’ve tried everything to make them look the same as they do when I have the images open in Affinity Photo, but they just look like crap when I see them uploaded on a site.

Thanks for the help. It’s very much appreciated!

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I've never had issues with this. I am wondering if you are not exporting the image?

Here's an example photo:
I7GJNVw.jpg

And after export (made a spiral so you can differentiate the new v old):

When you export, do you see this page of options?
NdwKO6v.png

i tried exporting a photo through it and yeah it looks worse when viewing it on my ipad and comparing to the original. did no editing just loaded it in and exported. definitely a loss of detail. my first thought was maybe the auto edits my phone does were removed and so there is no enhancements? i don't know. i'll do it again and try post an example.

edit: ok so i took a picture on my iphone. i cant tell any difference between these two. first image was loaded straight from icloud library into AP on iPad and exported with default settings and no edits. second was downloaded from icloud as HEIC and converted to PNG through Affinity Photo on PC. both uploaded to imgbb.

background.png
IMG-0172.png

Last edited:

Narasumas

I use it…but am certainly no expert and can get barely get around. I mainly just play around. I’ve been patiently waiting for Affinity Publisher to come out for iOS / iPad. My mom is an artist who wants to publish a private cookbook (with all the pages hand drawn, etc.) and I figured that’s the perfect software for her. Just waiting on Affinity to finally release a mobile version for her to use. Of course, I’ll have to learn it and teach her though 😮

Karmic Raze

I've never had issues with this. I am wondering if you are not exporting the image?

Here's an example photo:

And after export (made a spiral so you can differentiate the new v old):

When you export, do you see this page of options?
NdwKO6v.png
I’ll have to check tonight when I’m home and get back to you, but I don’t recall seeing that 100% quality option at all in my menu. I’ll double check tonight, though.

Tams

Gold Member
It sounds like an upload issue. If the JPG is fine when you open it on your iPad (not in Affinity Photo), then it definitely is an upload issue.

I use it…but am certainly no expert and can get barely get around. I mainly just play around. I’ve been patiently waiting for Affinity Publisher to come out for iOS / iPad. My mom is an artist who wants to publish a private cookbook (with all the pages hand drawn, etc.) and I figured that’s the perfect software for her. Just waiting on Affinity to finally release a mobile version for her to use. Of course, I’ll have to learn it and teach her though 😮

I was in the desktop Publisher beta. Damn was that a long wait. You'll be waiting a while, as as great as Serif are, they take their damn time.

I get the whole suite as I use Windows, but I am jealous that you lot are getting it/uave it on iOS. I'd really like it on Android too as Android has no proper DTP apps at all (at least iOS has Pages). Serif have drunk a bit too much Apple KoolAid though for that.

Last edited:

Karmic Raze

Yeah, I tried postimage.com to upload an image and I do think it was an upload issue. For one thing, I don’t think I was looking at my image at 100% zoom, so it was bigger than I expected, but it still looks good. I guess cubeupload is just shitty. I’d advise staying away from that site.

Narasumas

I was in the desktop Publisher beta. Damn was that a long wait. You'll be waiting a while, as as great as Serif are, they take their damn time
So I’ve heard. I spent time on Serifs website or forum a while back and saw that they mentioned they were “working on it”, but were very cryptic beyond anything past that. I just don’t know a better substitute for her to use in the meantime. Maybe I’ll make a thread asking one day rather than hijack this one. Thanks for the info nugget.

Yeah, I tried postimage.com to upload an image and I do think it was an upload issue. For one thing, I don’t think I was looking at my image at 100% zoom, so it was bigger than I expected, but it still looks good. I guess cubeupload is just shitty. I’d advise staying away from that site.
i use imgbb. i don't think they compress images. their upload limit is 32MB so i would imagine not.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
So I’ve heard. I spent time on Serifs website or forum a while back and saw that they mentioned they were “working on it”, but were very cryptic beyond anything past that. I just don’t know a better substitute for her to use in the meantime. Maybe I’ll make a thread asking one day rather than hijack this one. Thanks for the info nugget.
Honestly better to just get her something with a desktop OS. It'll be more conducive to laying out a book anyway.

And yes, up till the beta, news around Publisher was all very cryptic. I think they built up the hype for it a bit too much. Great programme now though.

Top Bottom