• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does FORZA HORIZON 5 get "on track" RAYTRACING? Or is this a falsely added label?

Banned

screenshot_20220614-2zsjae.jpg

screenshot_20220614-2x9jc1.jpg

this trailer has a label on the bottom left declaring that everything you see is in game footage...
well...
the footage here clearly uses raytracing.

and raytracing like we didn't see it before in FH5 either.
the only raytracing feature the game has is self-reflections in the garage and Forza Vista.
self-reflections as in parts of the car being reflected onto itself...

in this trailer we clearly see accurate real time reflections of cars in the paint of other cars.

I have not seen anyone talk about this yet either.

so, is the "in game footage" label on the bottom left simply an oversight and false, or will FH5 get an RT update to be on par with Forza Motorsport?

Playground Games and Turn 10 of course share technology and the work of one studio has influenced the tech of the other studio's games before, like how Horizon first implemented water physics and Forza Motorsport implementing it a game later etc.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
then you didn't really pay attention. I added a screenshot clearly showing a car reflected in another car. also the side of a car that is away from the camera, which can not be SSR

also, cars DO NOT use SSR in Forza either.
only the pc version of FH5 has a MOD for RT reflections and here is a screen of cubemap based reflections in FH4
cuKBxD-SLmHBDEzvXEO_s7ZBsh7tR0Wu5dCjGF1-XEE.png

they can look pretty good , also it might be planar reflections in your screen shot

I posted about this as well in the main thread.

Currently there is no way to see reflections of other cars in the player car in the game outside the hood view which maps previous frame data to the hood. You can use cheat engine to enable the Forzavista's limited RT in-game but that only enables self-reflection and does not enable seeing other cars in your car's paint or NPC vehicles.

Either there will be a future update enabling further improvements to reflections or this video was not in-game, merely in-engine.

The Forza Horizon games have had improvements made to visuals and improved settings for PC in the past well after launch so it's not unfeasible.

Banned
only the pc version of FH5 has a MOD for RT reflections and here is a screen of cubemap based reflections in FH4
cuKBxD-SLmHBDEzvXEO_s7ZBsh7tR0Wu5dCjGF1-XEE.png

they can look pretty good , also it might be planar reflections in your screen shot

that's not cubemap reflections, they don't use that in this camera perspective. that's a screen flip reflection. similar to SSR but even simpler in nature.

and the current RT reflections (which you can mod to be usable during gameplay on PC) only reflect car parts on itself.
and that's a mod as you said

Last edited:

buenoblue

This reminds me of the thread where someone asked if there will ever be a way to fake ratraced reflections to use less resources! You mean like every game ever made 🤣. Or how good Demons Souls ray tracing is! Games can look amazing without ray tracing!

Off topic: a few years ago I sold a 3d addon that turned a certain projector into a 3d projector. Guy bought it, used it for weeks. Messaged me saying how good the 3d was! Then his son came round and discovered he hadn't even turned the 3d on!

The emporer has new clothes it seems!

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The game uses a system of cameras on each side of the car, than capture the surroundings and then projects them into surfaces.
It's not as good as RT, but it's better than cube maps.

Yeah.

Games in general have gotten really good 'faking' reflections over the years with various methods.

Now that we have the sheer hardware grunt available, many are shifting to ray tracing itself but it doesn't take away from the clever tricks developers have been, and will continue to, use.

Top Bottom