• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does neoGAF recommend Soul Hackers 2?

Vognerful

So Persona 5 Royal keeps crashing after the second battle and couldn't find a way to fix it. I found online that it is a common problem. I finished Persona 4 on PS2 and don't feel like playing P3.

Is Soul Hackers 2 a good replacement? what should I know before I start it?

Yes.

I don't watch anime but I enjoyed story and characters.

It's not very well put together but you could have a good time if you are into such games.

For me, I am not much into JRPGs except big ones, I dropped it.

So Persona 5 Royal keeps crashing after the second battle and couldn't find a way to fix it. I found online that it is a common problem. I finished Persona 4 on PS2 and don't feel like playing P3.

Is Soul Hackers 2 a good replacement? what should I know before I start it?
I liked the game but the dungeons are very low budget. The game has a great protagonist and a nice story plus the main cast are adults unlike persona but there are no indepth social links and some parts of the game feel low budget specially the dungeons. On the other hand the game can look great because you can run it native 4k 144fps on PC unlike SMT5 or the original Persona 5 release on PS4.

Chukhopops

It has good combat, the characters have charm and personality and the story is good.

However it is really low budget (even by Atlus standards) and short.

It doesn’t reach the level of mainline SMT games like 4, 4:A or 5 but I enjoyed it overall.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
The focus is on combat/dungeon crawling but the characters are a lot more present in the story then they are in Nocturne or SMT V for example. Nowhere near as much going on outside of this as the Persona games.

As people have said, it feels quite budget (one piece of dungeon music throughout the game, and not a huge amount of variation in the environments).

I loved it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally had fun and I’m also type of person who finds SMT/Persona series going through dungeons and fusing demons gameplay loop super addicting.

Last edited:

cireza

Played it on Xbox and it was super tedious and repetitive. If you want some good J-RPG, play something else. Atlus RPGs are becoming more and more insufferable with the bloat. Shin Megami Tensei V was awesome though, when it wasn't blurry as hell of course. I really hope it gets ported to other platforms !

I strongly recommend Valkyria Chronicles 4 as it is not bloated nor repetitive. Very competent Tactical-RPG. Available on all platforms with a very good Switch version as well.

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

It is Persona Lite with interesting characters but very low budget.
Afaik it is currently on Gamepass, so depending on the platform you are playing, you could try it out or finish it with GP

OuterLimits

The focus is on combat/dungeon crawling but the characters are a lot more present in the story then they are in Nocturne or SMT V for example. Nowhere near as much going on outside of this as the Persona games.

As people have said, it feels quite budget (one piece of dungeon music throughout the game, and not a huge amount of variation in the environments).

I loved it.

I actually quite enjoyed TMS, so have been considering this. However, even TMS had some decent variety of dungeons and especially music.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yes.

It's a nice dungeon crawler JRPG. But it does not have the social aspects like a Persona game, so don't go in thinking you're playing a reskinned Persona.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
NO. The characters are great and the battle system isn’t bad. But the shoestring budget hurts the dungeon level design. You will be exploring subway tunnels for 20 hours.

Also: tedious dungeon crawling can still be fun if there is some sort of resource management involved to keep you engaged. Soul Hackers 2 does not really have that. The game is very easy even on hard, with spikes only for boss fights. I feel like even the Persona games on hard were more difficult.

Gorgon

A much better choice would have been a cheap remake of e.g. Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon. It's more action-based (which you may or may not want) but it has a unique setting and gameplay features. It's set in a slighlty different version of Japan in the 1920s/1930s, and includes investigation in the capital and countryside, as well as dungeon crawling etc. It has a somewhat bizarre atmosphere in a good way. Or they could have just done a new Raidou instead. For the life of me, I don't get why they did Soulhackers 2. The game is drab as fuck. Heck, they could also have opted to go back to Digital Devil Saga instead, if all they wanted was a cheap cash-in.

Vognerful

A much better choice would have been a cheap remake of e.g. Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon. It's more action-based (which you may or may not want) but it has a unique setting and gameplay features. It's set in a slighlty different version of Japan in the 1920s/1930s, and includes investigation in the capital and countryside, as well as dungeon crawling etc. It has a somewhat bizarre atmosphere in a good way. Or they could have just done a new Raidou instead. For the life of me, I don't get why they did Soulhackers 2. The game is drab as fuck. Heck, they could also have opted to go back to Digital Devil Saga instead, if all they wanted was a cheap cash-in.
Man I actually played this game, but I remember it was extremely difficult and couldn't continue playing it.

Vognerful

Thank you all for the advice, I played it for 4 hours last night and I guess I enjoyed it with its shortcomings. Let's how I feel later on.

Gorgon

Man I actually played this game, but I remember it was extremely difficult and couldn't continue playing it.

I didn't play it much back in the day. I'm not even sure if I owned it or played someone else's copy or whatever it was. Most of my recollection of the game comes from Youtube anyway. But I always felt it was such a good setup for a megaten game and that it would be worth doing something with it now that the SMT line is a lot more popular thanks to the last Persona games and especially P5. I think Raidou has way more appeal than most of the SMT line, if what Atlus wants is to be successful outside of Persona. SH2 isn't gonna cut it for that, except for those people who will enjoy any SMT to begin with.

Top Bottom