• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Raganrok have the best soundtrack out of all SIE games?

Been listening to the soundtrack, god damn… Bear McCreary did his god damn thang on this.

Hip Hop Reaction GIF by NETFLIX

Last edited:

fallingdove

I really liked the Ragnarok soundtrack. However given Housemarque is now SIE, I’d have to say Returnal’s soundtrack hit harder for me. The first time I got to Nemesis — headphones on, adrenaline pumping, the music acted as a perfect compliment to the gameplay…

Also — honorable mention, Horizon FW’s soundtrack while not as good as Returnal or Ragnarok is definitely underrated.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Prefer Horizon, Shadow of the Colossus, Demon's Souls or Bloodborne above God of War. The OST is well made and fits the Norse mythology setting, but some parts are kinda dull and most of the music gets overshadowed by the elaborate set pieces. The most stand out track is the Valkyrie theme which are reused from the original.

Rykan

Imma be real with you, I don't remember anything of GoW's soundtrack. Considering it's typical movie like orchestra (cuz cinematic) it's probably safe to say it's not even close to being the best.

Jinzo Prime

Bro, Demon Souls?

Wipeout?

Crash Bandicoot?

Spyro the Dragon?

Gravity Rush?

LoCoRoCo?

Rouge Galaxy?

Come on, bro.

Last edited:

solidus12

The Order 1886:

Uncharted 3:

God of War 2:

Tearaway Unfolded:

Returnal:

Forbidden West:

Last edited:

gow3isben

Yes it absolutely is

Witcher 3 is the only better ost

Other games may have better individual tracks but as a whole this ost was phenomenal

Last edited:

RaduN

Certainly good, but nothing in particular stood out for me.
Maybe it was the way they used it, brute forcing over some wanna be emotional moments, without proper build up.

Never listened to it outside the game, maybe it's better like that.

Ar¢tos

I honestly don’t see how anyone that played through Ragnarok could say that
I got the plat last week and I agree. It's mostly basic orchestra music, there is nothing unique or identifiable in it.
Compare GoW ost with something like Final Fantasy IX, and GoW tracks will all sound basically the same. Ff9 music might be less complex but some of it is unique and identifiable and it's very varied (Sleepless City Treno, Rose of May, Vamo alla' Flamenco, etc).

yurinka

It has a great OST as usual in Sony, but not as outstanding, iconic and unique as other series had like Wipeout, Parappa, Little Big Planet or Loco Roco to name a few of them.

I think even inside GoW series we have better cases where they have more personality and unique to the game. I think GoWR OST, even if being great, outside the main theme and its variations feels a bit like the average generic orchestrated OST.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
One of the worst maybe. It's a really generic soundtrack and reminded me of something I'd hear in a cheap historical drama. Has very cheap Two Steps from Hell vibe going on. Awful.

Everyone and their dog knows Bloodborne has the best soundtrack of any video game ever made. It's not even close lol.

Klosshufvud

The first GoW games had better music

Huge fan of Bear for his BSG music but rebooted GoW has very boring music IMO. The newer games don't really dare go overboard like the older games did. The PS2 games were a paradigm shift for video game music.

Hugare

Ragnarok and GoW 18 are both god-tier Blood Borne is also way up in the god-tier discussion.
Ragnarok is too much like GOW 2018. 2018 is god tier indeed.

Doesnt have its own identity. Its good, but not innovative in any way.

"Oh but its a sequel, what did you expect?". Its a sequel that should have a different feel. GOW 2018 is personal, Ragnarok is about war. Should be completely different.

TLOU Part II is completely different than Part I in all compositions, as it should be

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m hesitant on OST’s except if they’re from From Software or Square-Enix. The main track of Ragnarok is the only thing I remember. It’s ambiance and it either stays with you or you forget it. I listened to Ragnarok on Apple Music and it didn’t really stick. I kept repeating track 1.

My prime examples are RE Village Death Stranding. With Village maybe 2-3 songs are worth playing, but the rest feels like an environmental melody. Death Stranding, not all the songs made it to the OST, but out of the ones that did- around 2 tracks are memorable.
What keeps me more invested with FS OST’s are the relationship they have with a boss. You feel the fight come back to life.

Top Bottom