• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does this type of game exist (like a base-building RTS, but with a persistent world, kind of like a mix of base-building RTS + Sim City)

jigglet

Banned
One of the things I loved most about games like Red Alert is building epic bases.

But then once the enemy was beaten it was all over. Like it was all for nothing.

My dream game was always to see a mash up of Red Alert and Sim City. Anything like this exists?

Base-building RTS' are already a dead genre, being overtaken by stuff like Company of Heroes (BOOOOOOO*). So I doubt this exists but thought I'd ask anyway.

*COH is a great series I just fucking hate how the entire base-building genre had to make way for this type of gameplay.

Last edited:

nocsi

Like the Anno games? No one’s really attempted what you’re describing, Like persistent RTS isn’t a thing, not since shattered galaxy

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Do you mean a game that is more city builder than RTS? Stronghold, while a very old game, has a very strong economic (base building and castle building) component to the gameplay.

The Anno series is 90% city building 10% RTS, as the majority of the game you are building your cities and managing supply chains and trade routes. Combat is RTS-like, and the world is persistent. Anno 1800 is the latest game in the series and it's pretty good.

Recently, a game called Manor Lords was demoed on Steam Next Festival. It has a very strong city building and combat component, but it's not even in early access yet.

Another city building game with some combat that has gotten traction recently is Farthest Frontier.

Are you familiar with the Total War series of games? That's not necessarily city building and base building, but you do manage an empire and have tactical battles in between.

jigglet

Banned
Do you mean a game that is more city builder than RTS? Stronghold, while a very old game, has a very strong economic (base building and castle building) component to the gameplay.

The Anno series is 90% city building 10% RTS, as the majority of the game you are building your cities and managing supply chains and trade routes. Combat is RTS-like, and the world is persistent. Anno 1800 is the latest game in the series and it's pretty good.

Recently, a game called Manor Lords was demoed on Steam Next Festival. It has a very strong city building and combat component, but it's not even in early access yet.

Another city building game with some combat that has gotten traction recently is Farthest Frontier.

Are you familiar with the Total War series of games? That's not necessarily city building and base building, but you do manage an empire and have tactical battles in between.

The mechanics I'm after is basically identical to say Red Alert, Star Craft or Age of Empires...except the round never ends - it goes for as long as you can stay alive and keep your base going. You could concievably have a city that persists for years if you can hold off the enemies.

jigglet

Banned
Like the Anno games? No one’s really attempted what you’re describing, Like persistent RTS isn’t a thing, not since shattered galaxy

Yeah Anno is out of the question as it's Ubisoft (R6 censorship for China means I will never consider their other games again). I block every thread about new Ubi games so their content rarely enters my sphere of consideration. Although I don't think it's really what I'm after anyway.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The mechanics I'm after is basically identical to say Red Alert, Star Craft or Age of Empires...except the round never ends - it goes for as long as you can stay alive and keep your base going. You could concievably have a city that persists for years if you can hold off the enemies.
If you want a persistent world with RTS combat, then Anno 1800 would be it. Or Farthest Frontier, although the combat in FF isn't exactly Starcraft-tier. Perhaps a game like Age of Darkness Final Stand would be good for you since that one is about withstanding wave after wave of demon spawn.

BabyYoda

Banned
I always felt the same way, I found one game to scratch that itch, but it may not be quite what you're looking for, it's Factorio and I fricken loved it!

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
So essentially Civilization RTS/Sim City (Empire Earth on steroids?)

It would be a super interesting game to design, engineer, and play.

jigglet

Banned
I always felt the same way, I found one game to scratch that itch, but it may not be quite what you're looking for, it's Factorio and I fricken loved it!

I really enjoyed that, but I have to admit the drab post-apocalyptic greys killed my motivation to keep coming back. If they released a few maps that were vibrant green I'd be all over it. Shallow as fuck, I won't deny it.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
I really enjoyed that, but I have to admit the drab post-apocalyptic greys killed my motivation to keep coming back. If they released a few maps that were vibrant green I'd be all over it. Shallow as fuck, I won't deny it.
I love the visuals, but I appreciate such things are subjective. I'm pretty sure you can mod the game to be all green grass, but I haven't looked into that deeply tbh.

Guilty_AI

Theres Dyson Sphere Program

Follows on the footsteps of Factorio, but its more 'colorful' and on a space scale. However its still on early access and combat mechanics will only be added in 2023.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

Oh man you just took me back something like 20 years ago...Well maybe less I don't remember when the game came out but I spent so much time playing it, even though I was a kid barely understanding what was happenning.

Wildebeest

In the Homeworld games, your base is a mobile mothership and everything you have carries over to the next mission. I seem to remember Earth 2150 having some sort of system for keeping your old bases when moving to the next mission, with a more traditional "sim city" base building game as well as map engineering. That wasn't really such a popular game, though, and now is quite old.

Top Bottom