• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does your innermost self care about graphics as much as you post about them?

Come clean my sons and daughters and non-binary individuals., what do you think about THESE POSTS?

• Bless me Tschumi for I have sinned, at this point gameplay means little and I love only FPS/RT/etc.

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • I try to resist, sometimes, by generally I come here to wrangle over graphical minutia, first.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I can't believe it, but I've been deep down the rabbit hole ever since this gen was announced.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Neutral 1: Other

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Neutral 2: I never look at the threads you're talking about, there's plenty else to talk about here.

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • I fight it, but sometimes it seems like there's nothing else to talk about. Graphics are overrated.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I try to withhold judgement on any game until I've played it - graphics mean little to me.

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • I'm old school. Graphics whores are shallow. Games are about gameplay, enough of the graphics crap!

Votes: 18 35.3%

• Total voters

TonyK

I'm old school: graphics have been ALWAYS important.

Maybe now a 2D pixel art game seems like graphics are not important, but 30 years ago 2D pixel art was the same than now any AAA 3D game. Simply, Ecco the dolphin in Megadrive was one contender, and Street Fighter II in SNES was another. Or you can choose any title that amazed you. Alone in the dark 1 amazed me (at the time) the same as now The Last of Us. The parallax scroll of Thunder Force IV was so impressive as RT in Miles Morales now, etc etc etc.

I play since Pong, and always people has talked about graphics.

kyliethicc

The thread is Anti-War, it's talking about the scope of our discussion, I don't want it to spawn any of the discussions it's complaining about.

Yelling Comedy Central GIF by Drunk History
Comedy Central No GIF by Drunk History

I love games, that's why I'm on NeoGAF in the first place. So why is it I've barely said a thing on the Gaming forum in months now? Why am I putting all my effort into magnificent Off-Topic posts?

Because, as the bans list would suggest, it's all [when I say "all" I'm of course saying "regularly but not entirely"] console warring, hardware/graphics comparisons, breaking news alerts about pixel counts, frame rates, magnitude of cross-gen upgrades, or the lack thereof.

I have very little to contribute to any of that stuff. Time was the 'graphics whore' was a pretty widespread (if distasteful) epithet aimed at people who cared too much about these things, and I still generally think we should all STFU until there's a post-release consensus on gameplay and artstyle, rather than squeeing over technical features.

I'm here to ask you to examine your soul, your innermost self, and try to face up to just how much you ACTUALLY CARE about FPS, 4K vs Upscaling, RT, visual upgrades between generations, etc.
Yes. Graphics are the only thing that matters in life.

Soon any game without full path-tracing in 8K120 will be considered subhuman trash to me.

Tschumi

Careful, Neutral 2 is a trap guys.

I'm old school. I like pretty graphics but they don't matter as much as gameplay.
can confirm jigsah smarter than me lol, i put that there for people who wanted to come here and say 'look at the board right now there are like 3 threads on anything remotely connected to graphics u dipshit', not sure what the trap was :p

noise36

It depends on the type of game.

Its a bit like movies, some need all the big special effects and action scenes to carry them other are low budget and have great stories and that is enough, some have both.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
can confirm jigsah smarter than me lol, i put that there for people who wanted to come here and say 'look at the board right now there are like 3 threads on anything remotely connected to graphics u dipshit', not sure what the trap was :p
Well, isn't this thread one of the threads referenced in the poll choice? If they never look at the threads then how would they be able to vote on this one?

think-about-it-use-your-brain.gif

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
With the tools and technologies today, a game having good graphics should be assumed by default. Good gameplay is just something that should be expected.

Rawdirt

Neo Member
Over graphics I prefer art style, attention to detail and variety of assets. If I could get strangely detailed interior spaces with a variety of enemy types, I’d take PS3 level graphics over bland, sharp looking PS5 spaces. Also I enjoy many inferior looking games on Switch over my Series X.

Sleepwalker

I think graphics mostly reached their peak last gen, I couldn't care less about textures where you have to zoom in or have some idiots on youtube tell you about it, I also thing 4k native is a big waste and games sacrifice too much pursuing it.

Gameplay should be king and the rest should follow, sadly many gamers want to "play" interactive movies nowadays.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I care a lot less than I used to.

It used to make a big difference until PS2 era. But as soon as I got my first DS, I totally changed my thinking. I began to understand we had enough horsepower already. It was not necessary to go up from there.

But that's just my experience.

I like analyzing visuals because they can be objectively measured as opposed to gameplay and I’m interested in tech. But even then PS5 vs XSX is pretty boring as they are so close. I’m more interested in seeing how far developers can push the Switch and the Series S.

Griffon

I like good gameplay more. Tho the game being good looking will smooth things out for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom