• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos are exclusive to Xbox consoles for two years due to an agreement between Microsoft and Dolby

Status
Not open for further replies.

reksveks

It's a bit of a dick move, I do wonder what impact that this has had with support for atmos and vision on 3rd party games. I assume little on vision but maybe a bit more on atmos.

Last edited:

OrionNebula

What’s next? Exclusivity on every hdmi cable in existence? Exclusity on R2 use on every controllers?
awkward role playing GIF by Hyper RPG

😆
Getting a bit out of hand with the exclusivity shit

ManaByte

Gold Member
It's a bit of a dick move, I do wonder what impact that this has had with support for atmos and vision on 3rd party games. I assume little on vision but maybe a bit more on atmos.

Most 3rd party games are also on PC and PC has Atmos support too. So it won't change much there, despite this concern.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Moneyhatting audio and a type of HDR, Sony should moneyhat TV's so they only work on PS5 now? :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Anyway even Dolby Vision isn't fully compatible with games, only using generalized version like HDR10+ instead of frame by frame that's Dolby Vision known about.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
But Why? They want it exclusive on their console when they already have Windows Sonic? Why make the competition exclusive?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Windows Sonic and Tempest 3D aren't the same as Atmos.
Well I just bought it for my PC. 16 dollars is low enough to satiate my curiosity. It does sound better, but still. Most people won't be able to tell. I guess I just need to understand what made them make this choice.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Now that is a douchey moneyhat.

I wonder if Dolby is afraid of Sony's competing standard. Probably not, but what a weird, terrible move.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yes of course mark cerny’s cheap ass alternative solution is far superior to the guys that are basically industry standard when it comes to audio.
Stop swallowing those Sony pills. Open your mind.

So you mean that Mark Cerny was lying? When he said it can support more than 5,000 but will go for hundreds of accurate sources vs Dolby said hundreds but will settle for only 32 sources? Really?

phil_t98 phil_t98 it's official, brother:

Microsoft Spatial Sound Runtime Resource Implications​

On Windows and Xbox, the number of available voices varies based on the format in use. Dolby Atmos formats support 32 total active objects (so if a 7.1.4 channel bed is in use, 20 additional dynamic sound objects can be active). Windows Sonic for Headphones supports 128 total active objects, with the Low Frequency Effects (LFE) channel not actually being counted as an object -- so when an 8.1.4.4 channel bed is in use, 112 dynamic sound objects can be active.

Oh Microsoft, what a liars. I believe Calverz.

Also seems to be fake 3D audio, not using HRTF-based, lossless PCM via 2.0 channel for true 3D audio. That's why it can't work on any headphone like the Tempest.

hrtf-2.jpg

image.png

image.png

image.png

They are both on different levels. Open your mind.

Last edited:

lucius

The Dolby Vision deal is strange the audio makes more sense because Sony had the 3D. But I mean Dolby Vision is trying to be a standard which most new TVs seem to be supporting, seems like a stupid deal from both sides. Because MS is pretty much paying to kept it off PS5 for 2 years. If they developed it together or something then it be different.

So you mean that Mark Cerny was lying? When he said it can support more than 5,000 but will go for hundreds of accurate sources vs Dolby said hundreds but will settle for only 32 sources? Really?

Microsoft Spatial Sound Runtime Resource Implications​

On Windows and Xbox, the number of available voices varies based on the format in use. Dolby Atmos formats support 32 total active objects (so if a 7.1.4 channel bed is in use, 20 additional dynamic sound objects can be active). Windows Sonic for Headphones supports 128 total active objects, with the Low Frequency Effects (LFE) channel not actually being counted as an object -- so when an 8.1.4.4 channel bed is in use, 112 dynamic sound objects can be active.

Oh Microsoft, what a liars. I believe Calverz.

Also seems to be fake 3D audio, not using HRTF-based, lossless PCM via 2.0 channel for true 3D audio. That's why it can't work on any headphone like the Tempest.

hrtf-2.jpg

image.png

image.png

image.png

They are both on different levels. Open your mind.
Go listen to hundreds of sounds at once and let me know how great it sounds.

pratyush

Hgig is what most games will support and 99% people won't notice any difference.

Dolby audio is weird one but let's see what Sony does with Tempest. Returnal shows Sony tech works. 2 year exclusivity is insanely dumb. It's just something for fanboys to shout on forums with next to nothing to show it on

Last edited:
You know that means different sounds that can be very subtle, and accumulative that can create a real locality feel. Just like real life. You know our ears have infinite reception? As long as it's not noise or overwhelming.
You don't need hundreds of individual sound sources for that though. When a game comes out that has hundreds of individual sound sources at once I'll give it a listen because the idea is interesting, but I'm not expecting much.
Just so you know I'm never knocking Tempest. I just don't find it sound better than the competition. I have some issue with all current "3d" audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom