• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos are exclusive to Xbox consoles for two years due to an agreement between Microsoft and Dolby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerotan

Lol. MS introduced the world to Timed DLC, Timed Multiplayer Maps, maybe Timed exclusives and now timed Audio...
Bu bu bu bu but we don't believe in exclusives. Haha spency baby want full PR slut the last few years.

hqdefault.jpg

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Unfortunately for Cerny, he can't change how Dolby have setup the Atmos format.

Dolby said they COULD use more than 32, but they don't. Hence the limit is 32.

Sure, Dolby COULD change their entire fucking format... eventually.. (or not.)

Now imagine being a game dev and wanting to use Atmos to master.. but also wanting to use more than 32 sound sources... and having to wait for Dolby to maybe, eventually, change their format and allow more than 32... its not hard to see why Sony would rather just create their own setup for their own games. Will it be better? Who knows. Its brand new and limited to headphones for now. SIE certainly seem to prefer to customize everything and focus on proprietary technology, proprietary game engines, etc. It makes sense for their needs at PlayStation.

Like look at HGIG. Instead of trying to change entire HDR formats used across industries, Sony and Microsoft (and others) worked together to create a way for TV manufacturers, game console manufacturers, and game developers, to all share important metadata in order to make HDR games look as best as they can on every TV. Great for devs and users. HGIG is completely unique to games and representative of how SIE focuses on proprietary technology for gaming. They didn't try to just rely on Dolby Vision or whatever and hope it would shape to their needs.

Dolby’s quote

“As a technology, Dolby Atmos can support hundreds of simultaneous objects. That being said, we fall back on sage advice from developers of some of the first Atmos games: Objects are a fantastic tool, but restraint should be shown with respect to the number of objects active at any time. Too many objects in motion can create a confusing soundscape.

Developers have also told us that avoiding the horizontal ‘bed’ for an all-object mix is an unnecessarily time-consuming and labor-intensive effort. So far, developers are creating next-generation mixes by blending bed audio and object audio. More is good, but more may not necessarily be ‘better.’”

nowhere does it say limited to 32 objects, it says restraint is better for the sound stage not that they limit the amount of objects in games

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Tempest is shit and will remain a shit solution until Sony offers some type of 3D spatial audio via HDMI for home theater setups. As someone that owns both consoles, XSX games sound immediately and noticeably much fuller and with a deeper and wider soundstage than PS5 games when Atmos is selected. It's not even arguable.

Won't argue with regular 7.1 setup as it's not implemented, it's a type of DTS used there. It's only supported in headsets right now.

Also Atmos is fake 3D not true HRTF, it's still using 7.1 and simulates 3D instead of true raw 2.0 channel stereo like any true 3D audio. Maybe that works better for you, but they are very different.

Last edited:

balt1kr1s

Xbox aside, Microsoft is being Microsoft,
Instead of bringing more software with better quality (games in this case), they try to force out competition by limiting certain features only to themselves.
It’s good that Sony and Nintendo are behemoths and not another Netscape, so they can only try lol

FritzJ92

You seem to forget that in 2021 we punish the corporation for consumer ignorance.
Yeah my bad. Lol
Netflix adopting dolby atmos with all their in house made series
Apple going full dolby atmos
Every fucking phone suddenly supporting it.
Flag ship tv’s supporting it.
Sony giving hints of their 3d sound coming to home hifi sets at a later day.

Ps5 and 4 supporting it on the bluray app

I did my research and took an educated gamble.
Guess i was wrong 😂👌
now that you bring it up. Where the bell is the tempest solution for 5.1 and up??

I know Microsoft is ass about first party releases as of right now, but man Sony is ass about their PlayStation OS. All of these consoles should’ve been delayed about six months.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Dolby’s quote

“As a technology, Dolby Atmos can support hundreds of simultaneous objects. That being said, we fall back on sage advice from developers of some of the first Atmos games: Objects are a fantastic tool, but restraint should be shown with respect to the number of objects active at any time. Too many objects in motion can create a confusing soundscape.

Developers have also told us that avoiding the horizontal ‘bed’ for an all-object mix is an unnecessarily time-consuming and labor-intensive effort. So far, developers are creating next-generation mixes by blending bed audio and object audio. More is good, but more may not necessarily be ‘better.’”

nowhere does it say limited to 32 objects, it says restraint is better for the sound stage not that they limit the amount of objects in games
Yes , less is often better .. Dieter Rams.

Excess

I posted this yesterday in the TV discussion thread, but I just tried out Dolby Vision on PC. Apparently, it's been available on PC for years, and only on the older games that first had it. So the only game I had that worked was Battlefield 1.

I can say, it does look better than regular HDR10. Specular highlight is visible in all the right places. Things that should be brighter are brighter, as opposed to HDR10.

However, I think this exclusivity deal is a huge setback. If we want greater adoption of DV, it should be available on every platform. The only reason some newer games are starting to implement it is because Xbox decided to begin supporting it. Without support on the PS5, it may make roll-out of DV harder. Who know, though? Maybe Sony has been balking at Dolby? You never know.

Tqaulity

Lots of games are in Atmos now.
How do we define "lots of games"? Ok let's set the stage here and talk about the real.

Dolby Atmos for gaming has existed as a technology since circa 2015 with the release of Star Wars Battlefront for PC. The Xbox One S/X gained support for Dolby Atmos back in 2017. Since then, there have been hundreds of games released across consoles and PC. However to date, there has only been ~30 games released with native Atmos support across all platforms (Link).

To put that number in perspective, the PS5 with it's Tempest3D audio technology has only been available for ~6 months now and it already has a grand total of roughly 22 titles with Tempest3D audio (link)! Now, you have to ask yourself as great as Atmos is as an immersive tech, why hasn't it been adopted more for games? What is it about Tempest that is resulting in devs (1st and 3rd party) adopting it at such a high rate?

Now you may say "But Tempest is only for headphones". Yes, but more support is coming and the titles released have been designed and architecture for 3D already and that won't change. Currently Tempest works with any headphones (without a license ala Dolby) and the % of people out there that have some headphones available is categorically larger than the % of people who have a Dolby atmos capable setup/headphones. Further, Tempest will be expanded to support all TV speakers (everyone with a console thus has a TV and will benefit out of box), sound bar, and later full home theater systems. Combine that with the MUCH faster adoption rate (as I pointed out above) for title support and it may well be that Tempest achieves much higher usage from gamers than Dolby within a 1-2 years.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
As an owner of a Dolby vision oled and an atmos setup, it blows that the PS5 misses out. Would've loved to hear Returnal in full atmos glory :(

Atmos is one of those things you don't really need but man, I'll never not have it now. Atmos compatible series X games sound fucking fantastic.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
So when folks say it's way better are they using headphones? I only use headphones for gaming and I got some pretty decent ones, but I read that with Atmos everything is "virtual".

So by using headphones it seems I may not be getting the full experience, right? It still sounds really good.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Atmos is one of those things you don't really need but man, I'll never not have it now. Atmos compatible series X games sound fucking fantastic.

After getting a full Dolby Vision/Atmos upgrade I'm to the point where if a movie doesn't have an Atmos track I'm disappointed.

elliot5

Unlikely. At least I will give MS credit to know when to back the fuck off now.
Unlikely? All of this hubbub was over a translated Xbox FR page article that was taken down shortly after it was discovered. Microsoft doesn't seem to ever publish things on their Xbox Wire page unless it's "confirmed" first, so it would be highly unusual for the French team to post about an exclusivity agreement that wasn't agreed upon yet -> take it down -> Microsoft deciding to backtrack and cancel the deal. There was no deal to begin with and it was a misunderstanding/poor translation/whatever.

llien

LOL that is a new low from MS... what's next? making Samsung tv's timed exclusive to xbox ? wait... they actually could do this...
I don't see any practical impact on anything games related as consoles (as HDR10+ is widely supported)
I could imagine certain blue ray discs won't play.

GrayDock

Kind off, but Sony could enable an option to set the surround back in it's PS5 7.1 setup to be top middle/front, it would be perfect for Atmos/DtsX users with top speakers. Maybe when Tempest comes to HT...
oTfWgV3.png

soulbait

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure this is just for use in video games. Streaming services on both platforms can still use Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos right?

I don't have a PS5 yet and I do not have my streaming stuff setup in my PS4 Pro to even know if they support these at all. I stream through my Xbox or my Google TV setup, so not sure if Sony supports this in streaming (I hope they do).

Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos is pretty new for games, so not too big of deal yet for gaming.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
but it's always a good time to console war over audio standards and dunk on Microsoft any chance possible!!!!
The fact that MS released a statement on this should tell you it was a lil more than console wars.

Damn, some of yall need to really stop being so closed minded.

Console warring over....audio standards....shoulda told you edit this before hitting reply....

Last edited:

chonga

There's a reason I never bothered with this thread. Knew this was a mistake and it would be corrected. Now it's just a thread of shame. :)

How do you mistake up an entire premise?

A mistake would be 'whoops, it is 1 year not 2 years', some finer detail. Not a complete fabrication of a fact.

vpance

Kind off, but Sony could enable an option to set the surround back in it's PS5 7.1 setup to be top middle/front, it would be perfect for Atmos/DtsX users with top speakers. Maybe when Tempest comes to HT...
oTfWgV3.png

That would require you to plug your height speakers into the surround back outputs of the receiver though.

Maybe Sony can sell a 4 port speaker switch hub that would make it easier to do this, lol.

jroc74

A mistake would be 'whoops, it is 1 year not 2 years', some finer detail. Not a complete fabrication of a fact.
Exactly.

1. It was from an official MS blog.
2. Its now 404'd.

Yeah....this is a wee bit more than console warring. They took down the entire thing.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Probably translators. MS writes things in English, and then sends them off to translation companies.

The people pasting the translated text into their system (which uses "Sitecore") have no idea how good the translated text is.

(or the opposite, if it was a French team, they may not have ever seen the English source text)

Last edited:

elliot5

Exactly.

1. It was from an official MS blog.
2. Its now 404'd.

Yeah....this is a wee bit more than console warring. They took down the entire thing.
They took it down because it wasn't accurate. That should have been clear from the start, but the warring went on well after the article was taken down.

jroc74

There's a reason I never bothered with this thread. Knew this was a mistake and it would be corrected. Now it's just a thread of shame. :)

Naw, the only shame here is ppl downplaying what an exclusive deal for audio standards could mean....

They took it down because it wasn't accurate. That should have been clear from the start, but the warring went on well after the article was taken down.

Again....how is it console warring when it was talking about...audio standards....getting an exclusive deal?

How was it clear? ....thats what the entire discussion was about....because it didnt make any sense....

?

kyliethicc

“A blog post was mistakenly published by a local Xbox team that included inaccurate information regarding exclusivity of Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision on Xbox Series X|S,” a Microsoft spokesperson tells The Verge. “There is no exclusivity agreement of either tech on Xbox. We are proud to partner with Dolby to offer Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision to gamers on Xbox and will have more to share about the general availability of Dolby Vision on Xbox Series X|S soon.”

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
So you mean that Mark Cerny was lying? When he said it can support more than 5,000 but will go for hundreds of accurate sources vs Dolby said hundreds but will settle for only 32 sources? Really?

phil_t98 phil_t98 it's official, brother:

Microsoft Spatial Sound Runtime Resource Implications​

On Windows and Xbox, the number of available voices varies based on the format in use. Dolby Atmos formats support 32 total active objects (so if a 7.1.4 channel bed is in use, 20 additional dynamic sound objects can be active). Windows Sonic for Headphones supports 128 total active objects, with the Low Frequency Effects (LFE) channel not actually being counted as an object -- so when an 8.1.4.4 channel bed is in use, 112 dynamic sound objects can be active.

Oh Microsoft, what a liars. I believe Calverz.

Also seems to be fake 3D audio, not using HRTF-based, lossless PCM via 2.0 channel for true 3D audio. That's why it can't work on any headphone like the Tempest.

hrtf-2.jpg

image.png

image.png

image.png

They are both on different levels. Open your mind.
Again it’s Dolby themselves who said it ain’t limited to 32 objects

GrayDock

That would require you to plug your height speakers into the surround back outputs of the receiver though.

Maybe Sony can sell a 4 port speaker switch hub that would make it easier to do this, lol.
Hmmm. Idk, but im my old receiver, a Denon AVR-S720W (a 7.2 that I set as a 5.1.2) that is exactly what I do; I set it's surround back ports as topmiddle (could also be topfront or front high) and voi-la, atmos setup ready. And since the PS5 is sending it's sound as lpcm, if the game has the "top" sound information, the receiver would just reproduce it in it's speakers as I configured it. You can see in it's back that those ports are assignable.
xl_de_avrs720w_e3_bk_re_001.png

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Again it’s Dolby themselves who said it ain’t limited to 32 objects

They said they can do more than a hundred but sticking to 32. Also Mark Cerny said Tempest can do more than 5,000 but would rather stick with hundreds of high quality, complex sources. Nothing to add more here, that was the documentation from Microsoft itself, if it's not enough not sure what you would need more.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Hmmm. Idk, but im my old receiver, a Denon AVR-S720W (a 7.2 that I set as a 5.1.2) that is exactly what I do; I set it's surround back ports as topmiddle (could also be topfront or front high) and voi-la, atmos setup ready. And since the PS5 is sending it's sound as lpcm, if the game has the "top" sound information, the receiver would just reproduce it in it's speakers as I configured it. You can see in it's back that those ports are assignable.
xl_de_avrs720w_e3_bk_re_001.png

Sony's 7.1 AV receiver allows this. It can be used for 5.1.2 instead.

M9K0DVI.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom