• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't buy a Steam Deck, wait for Deck 2

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Don’t buy a PS5 wait for PS5 Pro
No seriously guys listen to OP and cancel your reservation (so that I can get hold of one for myself easier)

FeBcrjx.jpg

Buy it so daddy makes a portable PS4 with that PS5 SSD.

Kenpachii

Hear me out.

The main reason I want to buy a Steam Deck is to play my games portable. Games like Street Fighter V, Monster Hunter World and Assasons Creed would be nice go play in short bursts. I can play Assassin's Creed to grind and do side missions. Monster Hunter I can quickly get in a game and do a hunt, or collect resources. With Street Fighter I can have some quick casual matches online.

The probpem is I won't be interested in these games as soon as the eventual sequels come out. Street Fighter VI, Monster Hunter World 2 and etc, we don't know how well they will run on Steam Deck. This generation is taking a while to get going due to chip shortage and covid, so will likely go on for a while. We need to wait atleast until 2023 to see the proper sequels of the big games. And by then mobile tech will continue to improve and I'm sure a eventual Steam Deck 2 will release in 2023/2024. Yes you can easily say then why not wait for Deck 3. Well it's about timing if the eventual Deck 2 can handle next gen only games and you get one around 2023/24 that should carry you throughout the entire gen which most likely will last a long time. However I just can't see the Deck able to handle next gen only games. So the Deck will most likely be a system for legacy games and cross gen games.

Edit
for people with joke posts about buy a Deck 3, Deck 4, Deck 5 etc

I don't think you understand the concept of timing.

A generation lasts around 7 years with a bit of cross gen for extra added years of support. Why go by console generation you ask? Well 90 percent of games release target these consoles. So the smart thing to do is ensure the device you are buying can handle that generation, or else by the time the sequel for your favourite game releases you will drop it. Of course this is if you only insterested in Deck for legacy content then I guess my OP doenst matter but I'm talking strictly about buying a Deck to run games from this current generation. Yes technology always gets better however with consoles they have fixed technology for around 7 years, and the lowest hardware in this case Series S will be targeted for 7 years.

If Monster Hunter World 2 and Street Fighter VI come out in fall 2023 that's only 2 years you get out of Deck. If you just wait until these games come out and bought a Deck 2 around then and the Deck 2 can run those games you would get atleast 6 years out of a Deck 2.

Rule n1 with PC's is, never adopt first gen technology. i pay top price for something that never really gets well supported or ultilized. For example u bought a 2080, the moment games actually start to support RT any decent manner its to slow as the next series is out already and everybody is focusing on that.

Never be a early adopter.

However with the deck.

1) If you don't buy the steam deck 1, there won't be a steam deck 2. It needs to be a success. ( this is valve, they drop this device the next day if its not wanted )
2) If developers won't be supporting the first deck and optimize for it ( which could happen ) we won't be seeing that for the deck 2 also, first one has far more potentional to be supported native by devs and it needs to be a succes because of that. Not buying it bad idea.
3) If games do come out that can't be played on the steam deck, it still has access towards gigantic amount of software and games to the point it still holds its value as i can count on a single hand for example demanding games that i actually play and don't see a single game on the horizon that the deck won't be supporting so far.
4) architecture is robust enough to be supported for a long time.
5) we have no idea if a second stream deck will ever come out, or will come out next year, or in 5 years from now.

If you want to wait for steam deck 2 and still really want a steam deck. Your best bet is to buy the steam deck, when the next version is announced, sell it off and move to the next version. The same way most high end PC gamers upgrade there system. I bought a 3080 for 1100 euro's, sold my 1080ti for 500, paid 600 more and done. Mate of mine had a 2080ti, sold for 800 bucks, bought a 3080 for 1000.

Small uplift for him, bigger for me because i was simple to late to the party.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

At this point Kal is just trying to secure his own system by convincing us not to buy one .

PS. I am not buying one. Being 40 years old I don’t game while I am driving , I don’t game while I am in the mall or Costco , I don’t game while I am out for a walk or rare occasions when I go to the gym .
So the whole portable idea to me is mute.
If I ever game ,, it’s probably some small 3 mins games like clash Royale or something like KOF all stars .

But not gonna bring a 1/2 kg system with me.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I kinda agree with OP; however, if the Deck manages to nicely emulate the Switch (Yuzu), thats reason enough to get it at launch.

Nobody should be agreeing with the OP. His entire post is saying to hold off buying the Steam Deck because the Steam Deck 2 will be better. What company would ever make a brand new product, watch it fail, and then decide to make a sequel to said product? If this Steam Deck fails because people didn't buy it then there will not be a Steam Deck 2. Valve is not about throwing money away for giggles. You only need to look as far as the Steam Link and the Steam Machine to see that this is true.

K KAL2006 , you need to think about sales figures and how companies operate before starting a thread like this. That was extremely bad advice.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
That's one way to not answer simple questions I guess lol.
You called it a nice render when referring to that comparison screenshot he made.

Then you are asking if there were any screenshots attached to that very post where you are saying nice render.

You then ask about FSR resolution when that is mentioned in the post.

I mean, its not odd that CrustyBritches CrustyBritches then thinks he is getting played at.

Filben

preordered the £459 SKU but won't be able to afford it outright by December anyway with the way my work is going.
Kind of in the same boat. Work is good at the moment, though, but I have to move and moving into a new place was kind of unexpected and will eat much of my income and I have little savings, so I probably can't afford my 520 EUR something option of the Deck.

And as much as I want it, I'm not sure if I like the somewhat big form factor and If I'm going to play a lot mobile. Most of the time while commuting I read books anyway because that's almost the only time I can manage.

A few months ago I'd say fuck those 500 EUR, I just buy it. As life happens however, I don't think I will say that now.

Welp...

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A lot of you guys didn't read the OP's message.

He's talking about waiting for a more powerful system to go with possible upcoming next gen sequels (timing it together), as opposed to buying Steam Deck 1 which is more for current and legacy games and hoping its powerful enough to run a 2023 game well at portable specs.

For any of you fine with buying Steam Deck as it is to play current games, that's not what the OP is talking about.

Zannegan

He's talking about waiting for a more powerful system to go with possible upcoming next gen sequels (timing it together), as opposed to buying Steam Deck 1 which is more for current and legacy games and hoping its powerful enough to run a 2023 game well at portable specs.

For any of you fine with buying Steam Deck as it is to play current games, that's not what the OP is talking about.
We understand his message, but encouraging people to pass on a real device they'll enjoy today for an ideal device that may never materialize isn't sound advice. It's not that people didn't read or "don't understand timing," it's just a bad take.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
You called it a nice render when referring to that comparison screenshot he made.

Then you are asking if there were any screenshots attached to that very post where you are saying nice render.

I mean, its not odd that CrustyBritches CrustyBritches then thinks he is getting played at.
I put detailed benchmark results in my original post, with a 4K video having both 1280x800 videos embedded into device mockups...
I made a quick video showing the potential of FSR on even meager hardware like Ryzen 2400...

1280x800, FSR 'Off', High Settings: 43.80fps avg | 36.53 low 1% | 30.65 low .1%
1280x800, FSR 'Quality', High Settings: 63.88fps avg | 53.47 low 1% | 44.36 low .1%
1280x800, FSR 'Balanced', High Settings: 70.88fps avg | 58.80 low 1% | 48.52 low .1%

He's just being a little bitch, so I blocked him.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Makes no sense at all, buy steam deck now, enjoy, sell for $200 when 2 comes out. Buy steam deck 2. Have no idea why you would limit yourself for years........

He's just being a little bitch, so I blocked him.
While I agree on that, it's also entirely fair to say that the Deck mockup renders added nothing to the comparison and detracted from the quality of your post. I couldn't easily compare the two images in the screenshot because I had to scroll through the half a screen of 'Deck render to look between them.

Paasei

I'm buying one anyway, as it seems it's the only goddamn console/device that is actually available for me at launch. I need something new. My preorder still stands since day 1.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy

The same could have been said for the Nintendo Switch, launching years later in a vacuum.

The argument "Wait for Switch 2" was not made back then because its as silly an argument as it is now, more so of Steam Deck which shares hardware similarities with current-gen hardware.

It has nothing to do with timing and more so with just a bad argument.

Sometimes a spade is just a spade.
While I agree on that, it's also entirely fair to say that the Deck mockup renders added nothing to the comparison and detracted from the quality of your post. I couldn't easily compare the two images in the screenshot because I had to scroll through the half a screen of 'Deck render to look between them.
I feel the mockup renders add to the feel and are there to suggest how the device runs.

Its one way to look at it. I prefer focussing on the user who looks at a screenshot and then thinks it isn't one.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I recommend watching the video on a monitor or tv and reading the benchmark results I provided. However, I’ll take your recommendation into consideration for the future.

*edit* A B4B comparison. 1280x800, Epic Settings:
B4-B-COMBO-1280x800-jp.jpg

Can't give you the performance metrics as I don't have this installed on my Ryzen 2400G htpc right now, and it’s pointless to give results on a 2060S at this res as it’s CPU-bound. This is going to be played on the Deck's 7" screen. I don't think it would be easy to notice the difference. FSR will offer a nice performance boost on Deck. The idea it doesn't work at lower res is bullshit.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

I have to buy the first one to support this. God knows when the second one will come, can't expect to wait for 2-3 years for second iteration.

reksveks

I just hope that MS has a version in development and someone is developing one with Tb4 support.

So close to buying an eGPU enclosure

gundalf

If SteamDeck is successful then don't expect a successor until late 2023. If you want one, buy it now and don't wait for anything.

KAL2006

Banned
If SteamDeck is successful then don't expect a successor until late 2023. If you want one, buy it now and don't wait for anything.

I guess it all comes down to what you want to play on it. For me personally I want one for the next big multiplayer games, the current multiplayer games I'm currently winding down on so they wouldn't get much play time. Unfortunately this generation is taking a while to kick off, so I'm just gonna carry on with my backlog on PS4 and Switch.

I recommend watching the video on a monitor or tv and reading the benchmark results I provided. However, I’ll take your recommendation into consideration for the future.

*edit* A B4B comparison. 1280x800, Epic Settings:
I only have a 11.6'' 1080p tablet PC for a gaming device, so that close-together side-by-side is a much better comparison.

(Somewhat relatedly, how's the 2400G behaving itself in gaming in general, in your experience? I'm considering it as the core of a theoretical future PC I could upgrade to, since having a Deck is not going to be an option for me for a variety of reasons.)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

I read it perfectly well, want to know the main problem with OP's theory?

Md2PmDS.png

He lists MH and SF very specifically over and over again. His "advice" doesn't translate because his "advice" is based almost entirely on these two games. Sequels to popular games will continue to roll out year-by-year when they're ready, they are not and will not be timed by generations. 2022 will see Horizon 2, GoW2 and GT7 all releasing as cross-generation games and will take an extra year minimum to come to PC. By the time Fable is ready the Deck 2 will probably be outdated as well. Ubisoft will release a sequel to a popular franchise literally every year. You cannot time the buying of a PC around all video games.

Further to that he was worried that SF6, a game which will more than likely release in 2022, won't be able to run on hardware also releasing in the same year. It's a PC with, roughly, a GTX 1050, outputting to a device at a maximum of 800p 60hz, which makes me think he just has no idea what he's talking about.

MrFunSocks

Banned

The decks are renders lol. You think he’s got 2 of them already?

I asked for native 800p screens and the same screens at the lower resolution then FSR’d up to 800p, and he posted a picture of a render of 2 decks. If that was intended to be the best way to compare the screenshots of the game, it wasn’t.

Not sure why crusty got so upset but oh well, if he wants to act like a child that’s his choice.

Last edited:

KiteGr

I'll still be getting one regardless for the following reasons.
  1. I want the Steamdeck as an emulation machine. It supports up to the point where consoles abandoned region locking, which fits me.
  2. There will always be a better console in the horizon. If I wait for it every time, I'll never get one.
  3. If they ARE to release an upgraded product, then they are unlikely to discount it as much as they did this one.
  4. Even if they are to fix unexpected issues with the 1rst model, my preorder says It won't arrive until the end of Summer, so launch issues will most likely be fixed.
  5. By the time the Steam Deck comes out, and reaches my hands I'll be 35 years old. How many years do you expect me to wait for the "right model".

The decks are renders lol. You think he’s got 2 of them already?

I asked for native 800p screens and the same screens at the lower resolution then FSR’d up to 800p, and he posted a picture of a render of 2 decks. If that was intended to be the best way to compare the screenshots of the game, it wasn’t.

Not sure why crusty got so upset but oh well, if he wants to act like a child that’s his choice.
I'm sorry, but it took me like three clicks to get to the original images, then three more to take this shot:
LIsqogG.jpg

They're native 1280x800 images, embedded into scaled-up PR renders of Steam Decks, fit into a 4K overall frame, with the only issue being jpeg compression. I got that on my first look at them. You could have tried to see if you were already provided what you asked for, rather than immediately assume something and buffoonerize yourself.

chilichote

After seeing the Horizon screenshot from the Yoshida-Tweet, I'm not so sure how much power this thing will have. My PC has about as much power as PS4/XOne that I can live with on a handheld. And since my steam library is relatively large, that's definitely a plus for Steam Deck number one^^

But I haven't pre-ordered, I'm waiting for it to be released.

Kenpachii

After seeing the Horizon screenshot from the Yoshida-Tweet, I'm not so sure how much power this thing will have. My PC has about as much power as PS4/XOne that I can live with on a handheld. And since my steam library is relatively large, that's definitely a plus for Steam Deck number one^^

But I haven't pre-ordered, I'm waiting for it to be released.

just google aya neo and game name, then u see what a weaker device is capable off. Pretty much anything even horizon is perfectly playable.

JCK75

Buying a Steam Deck day one.. I love my switch but I don't want to potentially mess it up to sideload stuff so a product that is completely open to install whatever I like is So friggen appealing to me.
First thing I'm installing is RetroArch

spons

Gold Member
If you want something powerful, get a desktop PC. If you want something handheld, reserve the Deck. There is nothing that ticks both boxes, and there won't be in a very long time.

Zannegan

That's a pretty optimistic timeline, given that they won't even finish shipping the first batch of preorders out until mid 2022. It's possible if they're aiming for a smartphone-like refresh schedule, I suppose. I guess we'll see.

Top Bottom