• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't buy a Steam Deck, wait for Deck 2

Matsuchezz

Is this a Nintendo Switch Thread? I am not into gaming on the go. I rather enjoy games on a big screen. But for those who do enjoy this kind of gaming i think it is very appealing to them.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Hey OP, it seems like everyone of us does not understand your point of timing, can we get a frame of reference as a rebuttal to what you are saying?
The decks are renders lol. You think he’s got 2 of them already?
I think he made two native res screenshots and scaled them to model in a image render of a Steam Deck. It is window dressing. The screenshots themselves are native.
I asked for native 800p screens and the same screens at the lower resolution then FSR’d up to 800p, and he posted a picture of a render of 2 decks. If that was intended to be the best way to compare the screenshots of the game, it wasn’t.
You didn't ask that. You asked some short and obtuse questions when the data sets by CrustyBritches CrustyBritches were readily available.

At best, your wording was poor. At worst, you came in swinging with a club when the ball already was out.

You can't possibly think those questions wouldn't set people off.
Not sure why crusty got so upset but oh well, if he wants to act like a child that’s his choice.
I mean i explained it to you prior, but you decided on ignoring that, which ironically is what a child would do.

And that's your choice. You could also just take the L and be an adult and say you made a mistake. That would be the human answer.
I'm sorry, but it took me like three clicks to get to the original images, then three more to take this shot:
LIsqogG.jpg

They're native 1280x800 images, embedded into scaled-up PR renders of Steam Decks, fit into a 4K overall frame, with the only issue being jpeg compression. I got that on my first look at them. You could have tried to see if you were already provided what you asked for, rather than immediately assume something and buffoonerize yourself.
I mean to me it was immediately clear that he took scaled screenshots and added them to PR renders. Many Youtubers do the same thing to give it a more professional look (See; PSP gameplay running inside a PSP render's screen). Its just neat, and its just window dressing at best.

Its impressive that sir Socks here thinks otherwise and is doubling down when its not Crusty's problem.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
Update

Just tried remote play on my Tab S7 Plus and it's a revelation. I think my need for Steam Deck has plummeted. I played Street Fighter V and honestly the lag isn't that bad and that's me playing in 1080p with highest bitrate and 60fps. Street Fighter V is a game where Input lag is immediately noticeable if I'm happy with this game a 3rd person action game like Monster Hunter or Horizon will work perfectly.

As I was only planning to play Steam Deck around the house the need for a Steam Deck isn't there anymore after trying remote play. I think the reason why the lag is not bad is because my S7 Plus has WiFi 6 and I connect directly to PS5 which is connected with a ethernet. I also connect my DualSense wired to my Tab S7 Plus and use the PSPlay app which is better than Sony's official app.

Obviously people who don't have PS5 and want steam game to play remotely I suggest try Steam Link on a WiFi 6 device and see how it works before splurging on a Steam Deck if you only planning to play it around the house

Also Steam Deck hasn't been confirmed to have WiFi 6

Last edited:

wOs

Hear me out.

The main reason I want to buy a Steam Deck is to play my games portable. Games like Street Fighter V, Monster Hunter World and Assasons Creed would be nice go play in short bursts. I can play Assassin's Creed to grind and do side missions. Monster Hunter I can quickly get in a game and do a hunt, or collect resources. With Street Fighter I can have some quick casual matches online.

The probpem is I won't be interested in these games as soon as the eventual sequels come out. Street Fighter VI, Monster Hunter World 2 and etc, we don't know how well they will run on Steam Deck. This generation is taking a while to get going due to chip shortage and covid, so will likely go on for a while. We need to wait atleast until 2023 to see the proper sequels of the big games. And by then mobile tech will continue to improve and I'm sure a eventual Steam Deck 2 will release in 2023/2024. Yes you can easily say then why not wait for Deck 3. Well it's about timing if the eventual Deck 2 can handle next gen only games and you get one around 2023/24 that should carry you throughout the entire gen which most likely will last a long time. However I just can't see the Deck able to handle next gen only games. So the Deck will most likely be a system for legacy games and cross gen games.

Edit
for people with joke posts about buy a Deck 3, Deck 4, Deck 5 etc

I don't think you understand the concept of timing.

A generation lasts around 7 years with a bit of cross gen for extra added years of support. Why go by console generation you ask? Well 90 percent of games release target these consoles. So the smart thing to do is ensure the device you are buying can handle that generation, or else by the time the sequel for your favourite game releases you will drop it. Of course this is if you only insterested in Deck for legacy content then I guess my OP doenst matter but I'm talking strictly about buying a Deck to run games from this current generation. Yes technology always gets better however with consoles they have fixed technology for around 7 years, and the lowest hardware in this case Series S will be targeted for 7 years.

If Monster Hunter World 2 and Street Fighter VI come out in fall 2023 that's only 2 years you get out of Deck. If you just wait until these games come out and bought a Deck 2 around then and the Deck 2 can run those games you would get atleast 6 years out of a Deck 2.
I guess you'd still be waiting for an index2 meanwhile I've been enjoying it for years.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Riftbreaker, 1280x800...
Rift-Combo-1280x800-jp.jpg

Something this game reminded of, too, is that Steam Deck will support VRS(both Tier 1 and 2), so that should include Gears 5, Gears Tactics, Riftbreaker, Dirt 5, and Wolfenstein Youngblood, off the top of my head.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Update

Just tried remote play on my Tab S7 Plus and it's a revelation. I think my need for Steam Deck has plummeted. I played Street Fighter V and honestly the lag isn't that bad and that's me playing in 1080p with highest bitrate and 60fps. Street Fighter V is a game where Input lag is immediately noticeable if I'm happy with this game a 3rd person action game like Monster Hunter or Horizon will work perfectly.

As I was only planning to play Steam Deck around the house the need for a Steam Deck isn't there anymore after trying remote play. I think the reason why the lag is not bad is because my S7 Plus has WiFi 6 and I connect directly to PS5 which is connected with a ethernet. I also connect my DualSense wired to my Tab S7 Plus and use the PSPlay app which is better than Sony's official app.

Obviously people who don't have PS5 and want steam game to play remotely I suggest try Steam Link on a WiFi 6 device and see how it works before splurging on a Steam Deck if you only planning to play it around the house

Also Steam Deck hasn't been confirmed to have WiFi 6
Exactly. If you’re planning on using the steam deck inside your house, you can already do the same thing right now and save yourself the purchase. I can’t imagine many people are going to be lugging the deck around to play out in public.

Brofist

Do you guys get a commission for every person you dissuade from buying a Steam Deck or something ? I'm sure you can rig up 100 different ways to play games remotely around the house without one, but some people just want the nice neat all in one package, and I can see the appeal.

And I say that as someone that will never buy one, cause I just don't play games like that. Even the Switch I play docked like 99% of the time.

Last edited:

Meesh

But... If we all just ignored Deck 1... and waited for Deck 2. Wouldn't the poor interest in 1 dissuade them from ever making Deck 2?
I'll buy 1 and dream about 2...

Top Bottom