• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (1993)

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It was hurt me plenty since it felt right for me by the description
I'd recommend checking out Ultra Violence, as I liked how they did the difficulty increase: instead of making enemies have more hp or deal more damage, they just changed the enemy placement, so now you have more enemies per level, and placed in a way that makes the level harder.

For example, you have a few shotgun guys in the very first level.

OZ9000

Banned
There isn't a single thing which the original Doom games do better than Doom 2016 (a fantastic reimagining of the original games) and Doom Eternal (however the platforming is utter trash)

The level design and maps in original games were confusing as hell and I would always get lost as a kid, requiring me to use no clip to find the exit.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
The level design and maps in original games were confusing as hell and I would always get lost as a kid
fps-map-design_o_1296129.jpg

OZ9000

Banned
Doom 2016 still retains the spirit of Doom 1993 but navigation is better because you don't have the same copy pasted format of the interiors. Most rooms look exactly the same in Doom 1993.

The level design in Doom 2016 is NOT linear. It is very open ended.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Doom 2016 still retains the spirit of Doom 1993 but navigation is better because you don't have the same copy pasted format of the interiors. Most rooms look exactly the same in Doom 1993.

The level design in Doom 2016 is NOT linear. It is very open ended.
Nah. You have a few open ended levels in 2016, like the Foundry, but then others are pretty linear. Not complaining tho, I think mixing them is good for the game's pacing.

You should give DOOM 93 another chance tho. Levels aren't copy pasted nor easy to get lost in (imo), you might have now a better time than when you played it as a kid.

DukeNukem00

Banned
There isn't a single thing which the original Doom games do better than Doom 2016 (a fantastic reimagining of the original games) and Doom Eternal (however the platforming is utter trash)

The level design and maps in original games were confusing as hell and I would always get lost as a kid, requiring me to use no clip to find the exit.

Doom 2016 and Eternal have little in common with the originals though. NuDooms are more inspired by Painkiller, Serious Sam or the Shadow Warrior 2013 reboot. Arena based design.

The originals have a different gameplay, level design, atmosphere, speed. You read pretty often online how nudooms are a return ot form, but they're not really. More of their own thing.

You probably had a hard time because you were too little. Numerous Doom levels are evergreen icons, forever burned into many people's minds. Of course they're not copy pasted. Fire up a gzdoom file, maybe throw some brutal doom in there or whatever and see how it goes

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Exploration and puzzle solving was an integral part of Doom 1, as much as the carnage. I really appreciate that aspect of the game, even 30 years later. Getting lost in some levels was part of the fun.
Doom 2016 is fantastic, but doesn’t exactly scratch the same itch.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Doom 2016 and Eternal have little in common with the originals though. NuDooms are more inspired by Painkiller, Serious Sam or the Shadow Warrior 2013 reboot. Arena based design.

The originals have a different gameplay, level design, atmosphere, speed. You read pretty often online how nudooms are a return ot form, but they're not really. More of their own thing.

You probably had a hard time because you were too little. Numerous Doom levels are evergreen icons, forever burned into many people's minds. Of course they're not copy pasted. Fire up a gzdoom file, maybe throw some brutal doom in there or whatever and see how it goes
doom 2016 is a great doom game.. (fuck that jumping segment tower thing)

doom eternal is just super mario doom brothers ammo management simulator 2020 .. fuck that game it has NOTHING to do with og doom

OZ9000

Banned
doom 2016 is a great doom game.. (fuck that jumping segment tower thing)

doom eternal is just super mario doom brothers ammo management simulator 2020 .. fuck that game it has NOTHING to do with og doom
I actually enjoyed the "parkour" in Doom 2016 versus the horrendous platforming in Eternal.

It's interesting to hear Hugo Martin's thoughts on Doom 2016 vs Doom Eternal and why decisions were made to make it radically different.

To be honest, I have a love and hate relationship with Eternal. Doom 2016 on the other hand is great no matter what.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I actually enjoyed the "parkour" in Doom 2016 versus the horrendous platforming in Eternal.

It's interesting to hear Hugo Martin's thoughts on Doom 2016 vs Doom Eternal and why decisions were made to make it radically different.

To be honest, I have a love and hate relationship with Eternal. Doom 2016 on the other hand is great no matter what.

Thanks that’s a great interview.
I was never tired of doom 2016

OZ9000

Banned
Thanks that’s a great interview.
I was never tired of doom 2016
I am replaying Doom 2016 after 1 year.

It's so fun - gunplay is superb. And the levels/arenas/enemy encounters are fantastic. It is such a well crafted FPS; there are very few better FPS games released over the past 10 years.

Graphically it looks insane too. It looks better than most games released in 2022.

I could play Doom 2016 over and over again and not get bored.

Brilliant gameplay, design and execution. My kids love DOOM 1 & 2. My son is about to start 2016, my daughter is a bit young for that level of gore detail. I have no interest in Eternal but I'll always put a version of Doom on any system or in front of any gamer really. Super fond memories growing up with a high school buddy and taking turns on DOOM 1 & 2 the LAN parties on coax cable networks with DOOM and mods too.

TintoConCasera

Brilliant gameplay, design and execution. My kids love DOOM 1 & 2. My son is about to start 2016, my daughter is a bit young for that level of gore detail. I have no interest in Eternal but I'll always put a version of Doom on any system or in front of any gamer really. Super fond memories growing up with a high school buddy and taking turns on DOOM 1 & 2 the LAN parties on coax cable networks with DOOM and mods too.
Very based. I remember enjoying watching my older bro playing DOOM when I was a little kid. I remember thinking the cacodemon was cute and liking how coloful the game is sometimes.

I started playing Doom on the Game Boy Advance yesterday, the resolution is low but this game has no right to play this well on the GBA. Bumpers handle strafe which feels pretty natural and though the movement is d-pad the acceleration for turning feels pretty good. Halfway through the second stage I was completely at easy with it. Even the framerate is acceptably high given the hardware.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I started playing Doom on the Game Boy Advance yesterday, the resolution is low but this game has no right to play this well on the GBA. Bumpers handle strafe which feels pretty natural and though the movement is d-pad the acceleration for turning feels pretty good. Halfway through the second stage I was completely at easy with it. Even the framerate is acceptably high given the hardware.
Yeah this game plays great on a handheld. I put lots of hours on the Switch, it's comfymax

nkarafo

Anyone seen this Voxel Mod for Doom?

This is great. I need to try it out.

I wasn't aware it exists, i only used the voxel packs for Duke Nukem and Blood. These don't include the monsters though, just every other sprite and object.

Voxels are great for these games because they retain the original look while being 3D.

Edit: Here's a somewhat better video to showcase the effect:

Here's a more detailed look:

And here's how great Cyberdemon looks:

Last edited:

amigastar

I wasn't aware it exists, i only used the voxel packs for Duke Nukem and Blood. These don't include the monsters though, just every other sprite and object.

Voxels are great for these games because they retain the original look while being 3D.

Cyberdemon looks fantastic. Too bad there's no download for this mod yet.

Danknugz

Finally got around to playing the classic. Not the 100% vanilla experience however as i used the GZDoom mod (adds modern resolutions and mouse look).
It also added a jump button, which i was able to tell very cleary it wasn't in the original since it'd sometimes could be used to break the proper way to progress certain levels.

As its expected, one of the highlights of the game, to this day even, is the level design. Very fun to progress through and explore for secrets, as well as throwing traps at you occasionally.
Good enemy variety, each one with its own unique quirks requiring slightly different approaches and weapons to defeat.

Another point i find interesting is the "story". You can see the clear "reactionary" nature of it with its grimdark defeatism, a cultural aspect of the time.
Doom-Guy often gets regarded as a typical videogame badass, but events transpired don't really makes it feel much like a power fantasy.
Everything always go wrong, the end of the first act is you being killed going to hell, and even after fighting his way through hordes of monsters you don't make it in time and the earth was already doomed when you go back after defeating the boss, doom-guy's pet rabbit dead. The name "DOOM" now makes a lot more sense to me.

Its hard to say much when it practically the OG FPS (not counting wolfstein 3d). Most criticism i can make can be attributed to the technical limitations of the time or the fact it had practically no predecessors, like annoying enemies with hitscan shooting.

I still prefer some of the more recent retro-shooters over it (though it isn't really a fair comparison), in general however, with a mod to remove the most outdated aspects, game still holds up pretty well and plays better than many of its modern counterparts.
if you have a VR headset, highly recommend playing through with the mod that supports motion controllers. it's a very lightweight game for VR and performs well, though you might need to get used to the motion sickness or go slowly. myself for only have played through episode 1 in VR so far.

Danknugz

this is cool, id like to try it in VR

mansoor1980

playing the PSX doom on my pc through psydoom with vulkan renderer and man this game is dope , surprised that this did not get a remaster by nightdive like doom64.
the ambient tracks are as creepy as i remember .

MacReady13

playing the PSX doom on my pc through psydoom with vulkan renderer and man this game is dope , surprised that this did not get a remaster by nightdive like doom64.
the ambient tracks are as creepy as i remember .
Those Aubrey Hodges tracks give the game a completely different atmosphere. It remains my fav version of the original Doom because of those music tracks and re-done sound effects. I love it!

mansoor1980

Those Aubrey Hodges tracks give the game a completely different atmosphere. It remains my fav version of the original Doom because of those music tracks and re-done sound effects. I love it!
dont mean to piss off anyone but the original pc version music is a bit goofy in comparision to the sinister feel of the psx version

Top Bottom