• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom 2016: It's awesome! But I don't want to finish or play it anymore

Aion002

Update:

I finished. The end was fine, the bosses were too easy and boring, but some end arenas were really cool. It was worth it... But I will probably never return to it.

Ok...

seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

This game is awesome, but I don't have the will to finish it. Does anyone got annoyed on how long is?

I am on chapter 9 and I just don't have the will to continue, it's just one wave after another wave of the same enemies doing the same thing over and over again... Which is fine, I was loving it until chapter 7... After that I just don't want to play it anymore. It just lost the appeal, I continued pushing up to chapter 9, but I can't anymore.

Also: the game is technically amazing, great graphics, controls and music.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Don't you want to see how the story resollllllllllllllves itself?

Well I guess you aren't enjoying it then, or you should be doing something else and you feel guilty maybe? Whats the dealio, yo.

Last edited:

Aion002

finish it you coward. the ending is great
I will try... Damn now I want to see it!

Well I guess you aren't enjoying it then, or you should be doing something else and you feel guilty maybe? Whats the dealio, yo.

I am enjoying... But wave after wave it just gets boring and I start getting sleepy... I am trying to play at least 20 minutes per day, but each day I play less and less.

I played it a few months ago and loved every minute, but I thought the same thing. Now I want to get Eternal, but it is so expensive on the Switch.

It seems that Eternal is longer and more repetitive than this one.

It's not the length, but the repitition.

Probably... I liked chapter 6 the most because it has some cool platforming.

If you have gotten tired of the main gameplay loop then play something else.

I get this with arpgs and once it is no longer fun i stop.

Yeah... I might just uninstall and return to it a few months later.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I will try... Damn now I want to see it!

I am enjoying... But wave after wave I just get bored... I am trying to play at least 20 minutes per day, but each day I play less and less.

If you aren't enjoying the combat then fire some cheats on there and have a blast, its your experience, if its not fun then make it fun!

Or if you just want to see the story, then use the console to noclip to the cutscene trigger points in each level and watch the story stuff and get that closure, I'd say watch it on youtube but the game is beautiful natively and you don't want youtube compression crapping that up.

Fell into the same trap as Doom 3 lol. However, Doom 3's final stretch has better pacing and introduces interesting new locations. Doom 2016's post-hell levels are a slowly escalating series of Quake arenas with barely perceptible visual upgrades.

Aion002

If you aren't enjoying the combat then fire some cheats on there and have a blast, its your experience, if its not fun then make it fun!

Or if you just want to see the story, then use the console to noclip to the cutscene trigger points in each level and watch the story stuff and get that closure, I'd say watch it on youtube but the game is beautiful natively and you don't want youtube compression crapping that up.
I am playing on Xbox and I am also not fond of cheats. But thanks for the idea.

Fell into the same trap as Doom 3 lol. However, Doom 3's final stretch has better pacing and introduces interesting new locations. Doom 2016's post-hell levels are a slowly escalating series of Quake arenas with barely perceptible visual upgrades.

This. It's all the same, the first 6 chapters had a visual progression and gave the game a sense of urgency? While from chapter 7 and on, everything started feeling repetitive.

Last edited:

elliot5

Idk if I would say DOOM Eternal is more repetitive than DOOM 2016. 2016 you can get by with literally just using the super shotgun. Eternal at least forces you to change it up with your weaponry and has some unique combat scenarios.

The later levels in 2016 do get a little samey with the crypt and hell environments, but again the ending is pretty solid. You prob only have a few more hours to go though really

Aion002

Idk if I would say DOOM Eternal is more repetitive than DOOM 2016. 2016 you can get by with literally just using the super shotgun. Eternal at least forces you to change it up with your weaponry and has some unique combat scenarios.

The later levels in 2016 do get a little samey with the crypt and hell environments, but again the ending is pretty solid. You prob only have a few more hours to go though really
I just googled it... There 13 stages, I am really close then. Sooo close... I will try to continue.

My plan was to finish it and then start Eternal right away... Now I will definitely scrap that and only play Eternal next year. :messenger_anxious:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It's normal to feel burned out after repeating the same context again and again and again. Is this not apparent and logical to conclude yourself? Take a brake and come back when you're thirsty for that demon blood again.

Shit I like Gran Turismo but after 60 laps I'm sure as hell done with it all for a good minute.

Danknugz

I felt the same way and I also fel this can sometimes be a mark of lazy game design when the later levels are just hamster wheels of the same mechanics and just enough difference to pass the smell test, but in the end you just get bored and don’t feel like wasting your time.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Lol story

You enjoy a good steak right? How about eating that same steak for day after day? Sure it's good but at on point you're kinda done with it no?

😁

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I felt the same way and I also fel this can sometimes be a mark of lazy game design when the later levels are just hamster wheels of the same mechanics and just enough difference to pass the smell test, but in the end you just get bored and don’t feel like wasting your time.

Nah. When a core mechanic is awesome it's awesome. You don't see fighting games turn into a platformer for sake of "not losing the player" ...

When I want a core gameplay mechanic because I love it I want that mechanic constantly. How lazy could said design be when it's so well executed?

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Lol story

You enjoy a good steak right? How about eating that same steak for day after day? Sure it's good but at on point you're kinda done with it no?

😁

steak GIF

I've been known to enjoy a good steak yes. My seasoning skills are improving every time, I think I need to get some sort of SupaButta to really take it to the next level. The BFG of butter if you will... Butter, fucking... great? lol

Kuranghi

Just had an idea OP.

Can you convince someone else to play it for you while you nap/contemplate the universe nearby? Then tell them to slap your head everytime a cutscene starts and Robert's your father's brother.

Bryank75

Banned
Yeah, I finished it but I had and still have no appetite for more so I didn't bother getting Eternal.

Dunno if I ever will but glad it's there if I ever get the hankering at some point.

But I understand where you're coming from....you can just have your fill of that type of locked, high paced arena combat.

I heard they tried to add some variety in Eternal to address that but I just can't yet.

Duchess

Absolutely loved it when I played it on PS4. I wasn't bothered in the slightest until I decided to try out the demo. I then played that through three times in a row, and immediately bought a copy of the full game :)

Then I tried DOOM Eternal the other day, after waiting very patiently for the PS5 upgrade. Yeah ... no.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I loved Doom 2016, but yeah, it does get a bit samey by the end of the game.

I'm having a much bigger problem pushing myself through Doom Eternal. It's really competently made, but I just don't enjoy the core gameplay loop all the much. It's taken me about a year of playing on and off to get about halfway through (Mission 6), but I get tired of playing it after about 20 or 30 minutes at a time.

SpokkX

Modern weak gamers - Doom is ABOUT the challenge. The combat, the arena

it is practially Quake multiplayer - in singleplayer

if the combat feels boring or mundane you are playing at too low difficulity

Aion002

Modern weak gamers - Doom is ABOUT the challenge. The combat, the arena

it is practially Quake multiplayer - in singleplayer

if the combat feels boring or mundane you are playing at too low difficulity
Ehhhh I eat souls games on breakfast man... I don't need to gitgud. I have probably beaten Hexen and Heretic more times than you. :messenger_squinting_tongue:

I am playing on normal... Maybe normal is too easy? I think I died 2 or 3 times so far... I already thought about changing the difficulty, but I don't want to fight bullet sponge enemies...

One thing that is bad on this game is that on normal there's no AI.... Most enemies just runs towards the player. If normal is too easy (which is), that's the game's fault.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

If there is one thing Eternal did better is that the shootouts are generally shorter with less waves. For the rest I prefer 2016. But yeah, it can get tiring especially towards the end.

2016 is very formulaic; its weaklings, then higher tier demons, and then the Baron tier enemies. About every arena progresses like this. Eternal mixes it up far more. It also adds gimmicks like floor is lava, totems, summoners etc which I all hated tbh, but there aren't that many.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Unfortunately for me I'm type of person that once I start a game I need to finish it even if I'm not really enjoying it, this how I mange to finish Horizon and original Watch Dogs even tho I wasn't really enjoying my time with those games.

This my big reason I'm kind of picky what game I want to play.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

I had the same feeling tbh. I played it during lockdown, and kind of marathoned it compared to how I usually play games. I felt well and truly burnt out by the end.

That said the core mechanics are absolutely fantastic, it’s a top notch shooter. But yeah, it was basically a load of combat arenas linked together with some perfunctory exploration and far from engaging story elements.

I fully enjoyed playing it in the moment, but quickly got tired of the repetitive gameplay. But after I inevitably stopped playing for a day or so, I was always keen to dive back in because as basic as the gameplay is, it’s polished to a high sheen.

TLDR: I agree OP, it’s a fantastic shooter but it’s super repetitive and should probably be played in short, bite sized chunks.

(I tried Eternal but I didn’t feel like I could be bothered with it as the combat intensity seemed to be ramped up even further. They’re tiring games to play, as well executed as they are.)

dcx4610

It's only like 10 hours but it's a stressful game. I had to prepare myself every time. It's going to be fast and intense and if you aren't in the mood for that, it can be rough.

SkylineRKR

The bosses of Eternal are downright terrible, while I think the 2016 bosses were passable.

But Eternal is better now that its enhanced. Because it loads so quick its not really pissing me off when I die.

Hugare

Yeah, I took my time with the game.

It has amazing gameplay, but maratoning it doesnt work. It gets really repetitive.

But by the end of the game, I wanted more. Hard to explain.

Ended up loving it despite playing it in small chunks for months, something that I rarely do in games.

Spaceman292

Banned
Update:

I finished. The end was fine, the bosses were too easy and boring, but some end arenas were really cool. It was worth it... But I will probably never return to it.

Ok...

seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

This game is awesome, but I don't have the will to finish it. Does anyone got annoyed on how long is?

I am on chapter 9 and I just don't have the will to continue, it's just one wave after another wave of the same enemies doing the same thing over and over again... Which is fine, I was loving it until chapter 7... After that I just don't want to play it anymore. It just lost the appeal, I continued pushing up to chapter 9, but I can't anymore.

Also: the game is technically amazing, great graphics, controls and music.
The will? You're playing a fun video game, you're not writing a novel.

Kev Kev

The will? You're playing a fun video game, you're not writing a novel.
i was barely able to make it halfway through doom eternal because every minute was so exhausting, overwhelming and frustrating. i eventually gave up because i just wasnt having fun. it wasnt worth it, or in other words, i had zero will left to continue the game

i didnt have that with doom 2016, but apparently Aion002 Aion002 did (although tbf his complaints are more about length and monotony), and i completely understand where he is coming from.

Last edited:
Top Bottom