• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal best lighting ever used in gaming?

Doom Eternal best lighting ever?

• Yes! It's the bees knees!

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • NO!

Votes: 96 84.2%

• Total voters

M.W.

3Ak.gif

tommib

I'm with you, sometimes I play Demon Souls just to see the visuals, it still blows my mind

Sony buying Bluepoint for a few remakes alone would pay off dividends $$$$
I hear you. I got the platinum but sometimes just load it up to get that overwhelming feeling of next-gen graphics. I do the same for the particle effects in Returnal.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think Doom Eternal is one of the best looking games I've ever seen. That being said, though I can appreciate lighting more in other games, I feel Doom Eternal is the most technically impressive game. I can play this at 1440p on Ultra settings with RTX and HDR on and run this game without a hitch at 165 fps. And the frames literally don't move. Doesn't matter how crazy the action gets, the game runs perfectly.

For lighting though...it depends on your preference obviously. I think I was thrown back by Red Dead Redemption 2 and Metro Exodus moreso...but that kinda comes down to realism vs fantasy.

Last edited:

Jack Uzi

Banned
Yes it does!!! The dungeons really look and feel like dungeons in Demon Souls and the assets on everything are extremely detailed
Absolutely this. I slowly walk through the dark tunnels of the storm island. Not because I’m scared of the traps or skeletons down there. But because it feels and looks atmospheric like the dark dungeon crawler I’ve always wanted. Just lit by one fire light, when an enemy comes in to view I’m always like damn this is some good damn next gen lighting.

Hugare

Id tech engine greatness, almost every game that uses this engine ends up shining so much regardless of platform.
Well, about that ...

The modified idtech that Arkane uses is just horrible (Void engine)

It looks ok, but its so freaking taxing on the hardware. Bogles my mind how they were able to turn such an optimized engine into that.

Same with Evil Within's version of the engine

I would say when maxed out on a PC, Eternal is one of the best overall looking games out there, but from a pure lighting perspective Read Dead 2 and Cyberpunk hold the top spots imo.

I could agreed to that before RT patch, not it's much better.
rofif rofif

Am I missing something? What about 2016 looks better?

On eternal you have much more polygons, more doom like character design, better textures etc. etc.

Granted i’ve only played the games for a brief time.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Absolutely this. I slowly walk through the dark tunnels of the storm island. Not because I’m scared of the traps or skeletons down there. But because it feels and looks atmospheric like the dark dungeon crawler I’ve always wanted. Just lit by one fire light, when an enemy comes in to view I’m always like damn this is some good damn next gen lighting.
Exactly!! I walk slow just admiring how natural things look and the little touches like seeing a torch on the wall flicker realistically looks so good

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
rofif rofif

Am I missing something? What about 2016 looks better?

On eternal you have much more polygons, more doom like character design, better textures etc. etc.

Granted i’ve only played the games for a brief time.
It just looks better to me.
More detailed, not as cartoony and colorful.. I might be wrong. It's apples to oranges

yamaci17

More detailed, not as cartoony and colorful.. I might be wrong. It's apples to oranges
this may depend on resolution

doom 2016 at 1080p resolution looks flawless, sharp and clear

doom eternal at 1080p looks like a smudgy mess. it only shines at 1440p and above

ofc this might be non revelant for u if u played them all at high resolutions,... just my 2 cents

i'd legit say doom 2016 at 1080p looks much, much clear and better than doom eternal. i'm not kidding

doom eternal really shines around 1620p/1800p and above. at those resolutions i can clearly say doom eternal looks better

and coincidentally this post became a ladder so i want to take one more step in ladder so excuse me for this useless filler sentence lmao

Last edited:

KillaJamm

Metro Exodus 100%, looks absolutely stunning on the Series X. Honestly I was a little disappointed with the RT implementation on Eternal tbh, especially as you can run it at 120fps while still maintaining 1800p, was an absolute no brainer for me.

Mhm, yeah it’s more colorful and the designs are certainly more like the originals than 2016. I think eternal is a good step up but it is different art wise
this may depend on resolution

doom 2016 at 1080p resolution looks flawless, sharp and clear

doom eternal at 1080p looks like a smudgy mess. it only shines at 1440p and above

ofc this might be non revelant for u if u played them all at high resolutions,... just my 2 cents

i'd legit say doom 2016 at 1080p looks much, much clear and better than doom eternal. i'm not kidding

doom eternal really shines around 1620p/1800p and above. at those resolutions i can clearly say doom eternal looks better

and coincidentally this post became a ladder so i want to take one more step in ladder so excuse me for this useless filler sentence lmao
Maybe the TAA is more aggressive in eternal, because otherwise 1080p is 1080p. Could always turn off AA.

Justin9mm

RDR II is the King
9cc5ff9fce0bc0fb265f3a179160108f.gif
208163.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
nagdhywt0zez.gif
Yeah it's pretty good at times but the game is so hit and miss on the PlayStation, they seriously fucked it up. Ruined the HDR implementation. Never have I played with the display setting so much on a console game as much as this game.

Justin9mm

I think Doom Eternal is one of the best looking games I've ever seen. That being said, though I can appreciate lighting more in other games, I feel Doom Eternal is the most technically impressive game. I can play this at 1440p on Ultra settings with RTX and HDR on and run this game without a hitch at 165 fps. And the frames literally don't move. Doesn't matter how crazy the action gets, the game runs perfectly.

For lighting though...it depends on your preference obviously. I think I was thrown back by Red Dead Redemption 2 and Metro Exodus moreso...but that kinda comes down to realism vs fantasy.
I played through the PS5 version of Metro Exodus, it looks so pretty at times but the game has so much jank going on that I couldn't really appreciate it.

Doom Eternal is by far one of the best optimised games ever made. You can tell how much they worked on that. The best version of Doom I've ever played is @ 1800p with Ray Tracing on PS5. I'm dreaming of the day I can run this bad boy on a newly built gaming rig!

MrFunSocks

Banned
The raytracing in Doom Eternal is absolutely phenomenal, easily among the best out there.

Massive lols at people suggesting games with completely baked lighting like TLOU2 have the best lighting.

bbeach123

If it look good ,it look good . Doesn't matter what kind of lighting it use .

I loved Rdr2 lighting , the moonlight at night , the fog , saint denis , the swarm , everything just look so atmospheric I freaking love it .

Some people might love darker night , but I'm a sucker for the bright moonlight night .

MrFunSocks

Banned
... Baked lighting is lighting, just not dynamic

lol at you implying that just because its baked its "simple".
No baked lighting game should ever be even mentioned in discussions about games with the best lighting. Sorry if this makes your favourite game not be considered among the best in terms of lighting but it’s true.

It's top tier but not only because it looks great and clean but because how fucking optimized it is. YOu can run it on a potato and you'd still get over 80 fps on it. Thats what it truly is impressive about it and what ignorant ppl on gaf, often, ignore(duh).

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
If your rig can handle it.
CP2077 actually some really good lighting:
E8xMNNSWEAwgl51

E8xMQLVWUAcGhGO

Whatever solution R* uses for their lighting also mind bendingly good.
Can wait to see what they do with nextgen consoles....properly:
E62ejT4XsAcLN3F

Top Bottom