• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal is exhausting to play

OZ9000

Banned
Doom Eternal is one of the best games ever. It's an FPS game which absolutely sings when you master the controls. I beat Nightmare using a controller. Top tip: Quick switching is your friend.

However I hate the fact the chainsaw only replenishes half the ammo. Fortunately there is a mod which fixes that. This gameplay modpack is actually fantastic:

OZ9000

Banned
I know these games get praise for how fast the game plays but I’m not into the super speed gameplay style. I have enough stress in my life.
Master Levels on Nightmare are the definition of stress.

Base game is relatively easy once you master the combat loop. You just have to move a lot, use combos (eg SSG + Ballista, Rocket Launcher + Precision Bolt), and make sure you replenish health/armor as much as possible.

Of course the difficulty is ramped up in the DLC and Horde Mode.

This is a good video for beginners.

What I like about Doom Eternal it is a game which allows you to dominate once you master the mechanics. There are very few games which are designed well. Most games artificially make the game hard by grenade spamming/bullet sponge enemies etc but Doom Eternal does not do that.

Last edited:
Doom Eternal was so badass that 2016 feels like playing Animal Crossing, which is why normies cling to it so much.

I mean, let's b-real. Doom 2016 always felt a little too easy so I'm glad they ramped up the intensity in Eternal. It's perfect. In fact, the only disappointment in this reboot series so far is that the developers bitched out on Ancient Gods part 2, which is almost trivial compared to AG pt. 1. They should've kept the pressure on.
I have no problem with difficult games, but what you and many others don't seem to grasp, is that they didn't just increase the difficulty, they changed the gameplay loop so much that it's almost another genre. Doom 2016 was a fairly straight forward throwback to the original, but Eternal requires managing cooldowns and weapon swapping and there was nothing like that in prior Doom games. That's the difference. I've been playing Doom on the highest difficulties since 1993 and Eternal (along with Doom 3) is the odd man out in so far as gameplay.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I have no problem with difficult games, but what you and many others don't seem to grasp, is that they didn't just increase the difficulty, they changed the gameplay loop so much that it's almost another genre. Doom 2016 was a fairly straight forward throwback to the original, but Eternal requires managing cooldowns and weapon swapping and there was nothing like that in prior Doom games. That's the difference. I've been playing Doom on the highest difficulties since 1993 and Eternal (along with Doom 3) is the odd man out in so far as gameplay.
If you say so. To me they just refined the concepts from the reboot and took it to the next level. They got rid of all the stuff that felt redundant (like the pistol or some of the weapon mods) and introduced a few new toys to add variety, and made it so that every single element of your arsenal has a purpose and for every obstacle there's a solution. If it's too much for someone to wrap their head around then it's not a problem with the game. It means that it's just not for you.

I find it particularly annoying whenever someone complains about having to manage a few extra mechanics in Eternal because essentially what they're asking for is that first person shooters should remain dumbed down and simplistic forever, and anything that doesn't cater to these expectations automatically sucks or is a disappointment. No one else should be allowed to have fun playing something that's a bit more challenging and complex because they just wanted to point gun at stuff, and anything beyond that is just too much of a bother.

If you say so. To me they just refined the concepts from the reboot and took it to the next level. They got rid of all the stuff that felt redundant (like the pistol or some of the weapon mods) and introduced a few new toys to add variety, and made it so that every single element of your arsenal has a purpose and for every obstacle there's a solution. If it's too much for someone to wrap their head around then it's not a problem with the game. It means that it's just not for you.

I find it particularly annoying whenever someone complains about having to manage a few extra mechanics in Eternal because essentially what they're asking for is that first person shooters should remain dumbed down and simplistic forever, and anything that doesn't cater to these expectations automatically sucks or is a disappointment. No one else should be allowed to have fun playing something that's a bit more challenging and complex because they just wanted to point gun at stuff, and anything beyond that is just too much of a bother.
Now you're straight up putting words in my mouth. I never said you can't have more complicated games. What I said was Eternal is the odd man out in the Doom franchise. It plays entirely differently to the point where it feels nothing like a 90s throwback FPS and more like a first person character action game. I'm not saying it's a bad game or you aren't allowed to enjoy it. What I'm trying to say is it isn't a Doom game and should have been a wholly separate IP. The Doom franchise has almost 30 years of history behind it. When a developer uses that name for their product, I expect it to be similar to the ones that came before it. Similar to all the people that hated that Prey 2017 used the name Prey when Prey 2017 had nothing to do with Prey 2006 or the cancelled Prey 2.

Last edited:
Why is the definition of fun always about "difficulty" for souls type fans like this.

It's not always the difficulty that determines if a game is fun.

We just expected a sequel to doom 2016 and got dissapointed. It's not about how hard it is, it's how it differs from the prequel.
Well that's fair enough if you feel that way.

I have read alot of posts complaining about difficulty over years. As well as posts complaining that you cant play it like 2016

Not meaning to group everyone together though.

OZ9000

Banned
Why is the definition of fun always about "difficulty" for souls type fans like this.

It's not always the difficulty that determines if a game is fun.

We just expected a sequel to doom 2016 and got dissapointed. It's not about how hard it is, it's how it differs from the prequel.
I would recommend giving it a chance again because it's really fun when you master the combat loop.

Its true that the game is a big departure from 2016 however.

I've done it on Ultra Violence, and it was pretty tough. Tempted to go back now you've said that though.
It's not that bad and I am completely average but stubborn player! I think I died 800 times on nioh as an example.

You do have to master it's basic systems. Once you've done that you have WAAAY more options than 2016 and it's way more fun.

I ve beat it on Nightmare about 4 times. It's way more fair than any souls game no 1 hit kills or bullshit deaths etc.

Two issues with it, started playing a couple weeks back:

- sometimes I get lost... for stupid reasons. Won't see a door that is wide open or something like that. I feel like a cunt every time because that gets me stuck for up to 30 minutes;

- it feels like it's too damn long. I didn't have this feeling with DOOM, but Eternal... I can only play for about 20 to 30 minutes at a time (while DOOM would get me stuck to my chair for a couple hours). Unless I can't find a bloody door that is!

It's not that bad and I am completely average but stubborn player! I think I died 800 times on nioh as an example.

You do have to master it's basic systems. Once you've done that you have WAAAY more options than 2016 and it's way more fun.

I ve beat it on Nightmare about 4 times. It's way more fair than any souls game no 1 hit kills or bullshit deaths etc.
Souls games are difficult, but only until you will find the right strategy for all enemies and boss fights. That's why some people can even complete souls games without taking a single damage point.

Doom eternal is diffucult for different reasons and that's why people like me consider it exhausting to play.

Souls games are difficult, but only until you will find the right strategy for all enemies and boss fights. That's why some people can even complete souls games without taking a single damage point.

Doom eternal is diffucult for different reasons and that's why people like me consider it exhausting to play.
I agree as much as I love it I could only play it short intervals at first until I got the hang of it.

I think eternal is forcing you to make lots of decisions literally per second that can make it feel exhausting. Souls is hard but nearly always very straightforward.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I'd say just for the gyro and HD rumble yea. Really hoping for id Software to go ahead and patch in the 144fps Meathook for all platforms so that stuff like this opening hook maneuver is feasible:

Imagine criticizing a game like that instead of have orgasms every second. Must be Killzone 2 lovers...

Last edited:
game gets a bit frustrating and repetative here and there but overall it is still a joy to play.

just find yourself a good podcast to listen to while you are going through levels if you are having problems with beating multiple levels on one sitting.

honestly i am pretty sure i only played an hour worth of doom eternal without listening a podcast.

doom soundtracks are always good, but not for 15 hours.
Super late reply here but, I got the platinum and moved on already. I do thank you for the advice however.

Jboemios

Banned
Yes, it is.
I played and finished Doom 2016 on Hurt Me Plenty, but Eternal? That’s another story.
The levels are ridiculously long right from the start.
You have to be constantly moving or you’re already dead, and even while moving you’re getting hit by something you don’t even know it’s there.
You have to switch weapons all the time because of seriously limited ammo and an endless variety of sub-weapons that the devs absolutely wanted you to use. They’re not optional, at all.
Enemy weak points are anything but simple to aim at on console, and if you don’t get rid of them asap, you’re already dead.
Most encounters are at least 2x longer than in Doom 2016, right from the first level.

Like other people have noticed, Eternal is a game that wants to be played in a certain way. There’s very little room for personal strategy, and it’s so fast and relentless, it’s exhausting.
I dropped it without looking back.
Pussy

Kacho

Play through the DLC and then go back to the main campaign. You’ll laugh at how silly you sound saying the game is exhausting. EZ mode.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

No, it isn't. Much like Souls, it's difficulty is entirely based around player skill. Dodging is key and using your kit to your best abilities. Cacodemon? Quickly toss a grenade into his mouth. The big bad Hunter demons that people struggle with? Double Shotgun + railgun combo. Easy mode. Youc an play even on ultra violence without ever worrying about ammo, health, or armor once you know the kits of the enemies and keep an eye on your surroundings.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I don't replay games. I find them only interesting the first play through.
Then you're missing out. There's plenty of reasons to replay games, especially ones that you enjoyed more than usual.

Plus a lot of video games have the advantage of featuring some random/emergent factors which makes it possible for each playthrough to be a little different. Not to mention being able to catch some details that you may have missed out on the first time around, or gaining a different perspective on the experience if you approach it with a different mindset, experience, or even mood.

OZ9000

Banned
Then you're missing out. There's plenty of reasons to replay games, especially ones that you enjoyed more than usual.

Plus a lot of video games have the advantage of featuring some random/emergent factors which makes it possible for each playthrough to be a little different. Not to mention being able to catch some details that you may have missed out on the first time around, or gaining a different perspective on the experience if you approach it with a different mindset, experience, or even mood.
I personally prefer to replay good games than trying our new mediocre experiences.

Doom Eternal never gets old for me. The combat is always exciting, fun and frantic.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I personally prefer to replay good games than trying our new mediocre experiences.

Doom Eternal never gets old for me. The combat is always exciting, fun and frantic.
Yeah, it's the same for me. Whenever I try to force myself to play something new because I feel bad about having such a gigantic backlog of unplayed games that only seems to be getting bigger, I just end up having a miserable time because I'm usually not even in the mood to play them. I'd rather just go back to playing something that's familiar and fun, lol.

No, it isn't. Much like Souls, it's difficulty is entirely based around player skill. Dodging is key and using your kit to your best abilities. Cacodemon? Quickly toss a grenade into his mouth. The big bad Hunter demons that people struggle with? Double Shotgun + railgun combo. Easy mode. Youc an play even on ultra violence without ever worrying about ammo, health, or armor once you know the kits of the enemies and keep an eye on your surroundings.
I disagree. In souls you can get by just doing one thing (Kinda like Doom 2016...) or with an optimized build. E.g. just dodge rolling and spamming R1. It's great and challenging but doesn't require much thought.

In Eternal your constantly making decisions about which weapons to use on which enemy, whether to glory kill, flame blech, ice bomb, chain saw, blood punch.... at a way quicker pace.

It's way more mentally challenging than souls.( Not necessarily more difficult ) I could see why someone might find it mentally exhausting

thefool

I love this game so much but it gives me nausea. I tried to tweak some visual options but i can't get rid of it. No matter how good it is, no game is good enough that playing 30 minutes leaves me nauseated.

SHA

Well I think the game being a little more challenging than Doom 2016 was a good change. I say a little because once you learn the mechanics, it can be done on Easy without too much trouble.

I laugh at people that complain about a game being too hard on anything higher than easy.. That is what the difficulty setting is there for. I'm considered a pretty average gamer, I'm a slow learner, my reaction times are not that quick, I miss a lot of things because I have attention issues and I still managed to finish Doom Eternal on Easy(I'm too young to die). I actually completed a second play through on 'Hurt Me Plenty' which is the one up from that easiest difficulty and then both DLC's after that on Easy.

I will admit though Ancient Gods Part 1 DLC is ridiculously hard on the Easy setting.. I'm really not sure what happened there because Part 2 wasn't like that.
Yeah , I'm still stuck with it , I just kept on lowering the difficulty and still stuck with the 5th level of part one , I beaten the original story on 4th difficulty with no issues, part one is definitely inferior to the original game and even the classic Doom, it's too different cause the difficulty is supposed to be fun but not with this add on.

darrylgorn

I've tried multiple times but had to drop it.

It's a few things that grate on me, like the requirement to engage enemies with specific weapons, the RPG/upgrade mechanics and tediously navigating through the map.

Add to that the annoyance of constantly stopping to fight mobs of enemies in an arena and this thrust movement instead of just running.

Makes life way too complicated, I just want to shoot shit and progress through a level.

Last edited:

It's wild to me that this forum doesn't love Doom eternal more. This is the forum that loves Ninja Gaiden, DMC and Bayonetta and God of war was far too casual

I remember the ps3/360 days when people were constantly moaning about 2 weapon limits and regen health. They wanted weapon wheels, choice, open ended levels, fast gameplay, mobilty.

Well Eternal has all that and actively incentives using all those things and now it's too complex??

2016 had all of those things as well but you didn't need to weapon switch you can get by just using a couple weapons. I've definitely read posters complain that they can't just use the Super Shotgun. It's bizarre and they want the choice to make less choices.

All things considered I don't think Eternal is that complex and it does a really good job of teaching you all it's systems. Most melee action games are definitely as complex if not more so and require more complex button combinations.

Dude, cacodemon is walk in the park. Anyway taking down a single enemy in doom eternal is nothing big (well maybe except "marauder" and "cybermankubus" with green shield). The problem starts when game throws at you multiple strong demons at once, and what's worse in some very tight location, where you cant even use the dodge function. And what's funny it gets even worse later in the game when you have to fight very strong Arch-vile demon (he require BFG to kill it quickly) that can summon UNLIMTED number of strong demons (and every single one of them requires a lot of ammo to kill). With limited ammo on top of that this game feels just unfair to play. I have completed doom eternal, but it was more about luck than my skill and memory (in souls games you can memorize pretty much every enemy encounter). And BTW. I have frequently used a chainsaw to replenish my ammo as much as possible and ammo has still been a problem for me. Such limited ammo mechanics in doom game (and especially considering the amount of enemies this game throws at you) is just unfair. Souls games arnt like that at all.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Imagine criticizing a game like that instead of have orgasms every second. Must be Killzone 2 lovers...
0 orgasms over here, but I could swear I was on the brink of a heart attack a few times at least.

Game's fucking fun.

Bragr

Banned
It's wild to me that this forum doesn't love Doom eternal more. This is the forum that loves Ninja Gaiden, DMC and Bayonetta and God of war was far too casual

I remember the ps3/360 days when people were constantly moaning about 2 weapon limits and regen health. They wanted weapon wheels, choice, open ended levels, fast gameplay, mobilty.

Well Eternal has all that and actively incentives using all those things and now it's too complex??

2016 had all of those things as well but you didn't need to weapon switch you can get by just using a couple weapons. I've definitely read posters complain that they can't just use the Super Shotgun. It's bizarre and they want the choice to make less choices.

All things considered I don't think Eternal is that complex and it does a really good job of teaching you all it's systems. Most melee action games are definitely as complex if not more so and require more complex button combinations.
It's not about complexity.

Imagine if you could install 4 mechanical legs on your horse in Red Dead Redemption 2. It might be fun and "more complex", but it would be another game entirely.

That's Doom Eternal. It feels like they mixed 2016 with a pinball machine. It's a different thing. It's not about the difficulty or complexity, but that it feels like a different thing.

It's as if they released Half-Life 3, and it played like Superhot. I don't want fucking Superhot, I think it's worse than regular Half-Life. Give me Half-Life.

And then all you guys would be like "hur hur don't you like new things, Superhot is more complex, Superhot is too hard for you, hur hur."

It's not about that. It's that I find Superhot to be a different thing entirely, and it doesn't have the "soul" of Half-Life. Doom Eternal doesn't have the "soul" of Doom.

Doom Eternal is like Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts of the Banjo franchise. It's just very different.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

Imagine if you could install 4 mechanical legs on your horse in Red Dead Redemption 2. It might be fun and "more complex", but it would be another game entirely.

That's Doom Eternal. It feels like they mixed 2016 with a pinball machine. It's a different thing. It's not about the difficulty or complexity, but that it feels like a different thing.

It's as if they released Half-Life 3, and it played like Superhot. I don't want fucking Superhot, I think it's worse than regular Half-Life. Give me Half-Life.

And then all you guys would be like "hur hur don't you like new things, Superhot is more complex, Superhot is too hard for you, hur hur."

It's not about that. It's that I find Superhot to be a different thing entirely, and it doesn't have the "soul" of Half-Life. Doom Eternal doesn't have the "soul" of Doom.

Doom Eternal is like Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts of the Banjo franchise. It's just very different.
I think you are exaggerating. DOOM Eternal is DOOM 2016, but faster paced and with some more stuff like a flamethrower, but that's it.

The arena shooting is the same, the semi-linear levels are the same. Yes it has a bit more of platforming and ammo is more scarce, but imho that's an enhancement on the formula rather than a radical change.

Razvedka

Banned
The first time I played and beat Doom Eternal it was on Nightmare. I think it was over a two day period or so. By the end of that second day I was physically and mentally exhausted as well. I recognized the physical tiredness of it as someone who hits the gym alot, and it struck me as being so bizarre.

My body felt like I had a work out. Obviously this was probably just an extension of mental exhaustion and 'relief' at having the whole thing be over. It was unreal.

That game is an absolute master class.

And every Souls person who likes to fashion themselves as a gaming badass because they've played each of the entries in that series could not cope with Doom Eternal. Especially on nightmare.

Yeah I don't agree Eternal is clearly built on the framework of 2016. The things they added are meant to encourage what was already there

flame belch, frost grenade, - Push forward combat,
Dash, meat hook - speed and mobility.
Weak spot's, low ammo - Weapon switching.

If these additions take it further away from the "Soul" of doom (Whatever the hell that is) well fine I guess.

TastyPastry

i did the master level gorenest on ultraviolence and actually got to the end. the last arena was so ridiculous that i just had to laugh and deinstalled the game right after. i don't think i've done this with any other game ever.

Top Bottom