• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal is the best single player shooter ever made

small_law

I don’t think I would put it as my number one. I wouldn’t dismiss somebody arguing for it though. That game does real shit.

Having just replayed it, I'm now confident that RoE's final stretch is the ultimate Doom experience. Everything in between turning off life support to the Maledict is peak Doom. Pedal to the metal action with no bing bing wahoo or Flame Belch™.

The BFG edition fucks with it so I recommend a source port (dhewm3 is what I used). When you revisit Delta it's supposed to shift between dimensions but BFG cuts this feature.

Lol. I see you haven't played a lot of SP shooters.
I know I have and OP is correct. DOOM Eternal is on an entirely different plane of existence to any other SP FPS on the market. Nothing released* currently has come close. A few boomtoots look like they make make a scratch (Selaco, Prodeus), but I need to get the finished product in my hands first.

Bramble

I know I have and OP is correct. DOOM Eternal is on an entirely different plane of existence to any other SP FPS on the market. Nothing released* currently has come close. A few boomtoots look like they make make a scratch (Selaco, Prodeus), but I need to get the finished product in my hands first.

Doom Eternal is a fun but also very arcadey and completely forgettable shooter with an extremely uninteresting story. The game doesn't take itself serious at all and relies to much on ammo/health/armor management instead of shooting fun. It has these dumb ass super mario platform segments that make no sense at all. Even Call of Duty has better SP campaigns.

Better fps games out of the top of my head and it's not even close:

Metro Redux (both)
Half Life 1 + 2
OG DOOM (and even 2016)
Quake II
Titanfall II
Bioshock 1 + Infinite
GoldenEye
Far Cry 1 + 3
Halo Combat Evolved
CoD 4 MW

I mean look at this dumb shit lmfao.

[video][/video]

Last edited:

Methos#1975

Doom Eternal is a fun but also very arcadey and completely forgettable shooter with an extremely uninteresting story. The game doesn't take itself serious at all and relies to much on ammo/health/armor management instead of shooting fun. It has these dumb ass super mario platform segments that make no sense at all. Even Call of Duty has better SP campaigns.

Metro Redux (both)
Half Life 1 + 2
OG DOOM (and even 2016)
Quake II
Titanfall II
Bioshock 1 + Infinite
GoldenEye
Far Cry 1 + 3
Halo Combat Evolved
CoD 4 MW

[video][/video]

Yeah, the stupid jump dash crap in Eternal annoyed me to the posing I stopped playing it, it has absolutely no place in a game like this and aren't even remotely fun.

Metro Redux (both)
Half Life 1 + 2
OG DOOM (and even 2016)
Quake II
Titanfall II
Bioshock 1 + Infinite
GoldenEye
Far Cry 1 + 3
Halo Combat Evolved
CoD 4 MW

[video][/video]

“I don’t like fun!” - Bramble, 2022

I still find it hilarious people point out the “Platforming segments” that take literally less than 2-3 minutes across the entire campaign of 10-14 hours as indicative of an issue. Easily shows how little of the game they played XD

Methos#1975

I still find it hilarious people point out the “Platforming segments” that take literally less than 2-3 minutes across the entire campaign of 10-14 hours as indicative of an issue. Easily shows how little of the game they played XD
It's much more than 2-3 mins of the entire game

Last edited:
It's much more than 2-3 mins of the entire game

It really isn’t, unless you consider the jumping and platforming *while* shooting enemies then it would be 98% of the entire game.

It may take longer if you are incredibly piss poor at platforming, but anyone who has ever touched a single Mario game should be able to rush through those sections, get the collectible or two that is there, and move on with very little problem.

OZ9000

Banned

Metro Redux (both)
Half Life 1 + 2
OG DOOM (and even 2016)
Quake II
Titanfall II
Bioshock 1 + Infinite
GoldenEye
Far Cry 1 + 3
Halo Combat Evolved
CoD 4 MW

[video][/video]

This is a bad take.

The levels in Doom Eternal are extremely varied and well designed.

I agree the story isn't very good and a departure from Doom 2016.

However the gameplay is unbeatable and feels like an adrenaline rush when you're surrounded and slaying the shit out of the demons.

Perhaps you should try Doom Eternal with this chainsaw mod? It increased my enjoyment of the game ten fold. You worry less about ammo management as the game had a ridiculous cooldown timer - allowing you to spam the chainsaw when needed.

The following mod pack is also very good. Makes some small but improved tweaks to the game:

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
relies to much on ammo/health/armor management instead of shooting fun.
If you spend more than 1% of the time managing ammo/health/armor, you are playing it badly.

Plus the player in that video is very bad + slower controller gameplay.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

In many respects I'm glad we have both. Maybe I would have liked some single-player DLC for 2016 but the game isn't exactly short so it isn't a major loss. Eternal is an acquired taste though and I return to it less than the previous game. Both are obviously better than whatever the original plan for Doom 4 was but I don't want to see this direction continue into Quake. My hope is that they moved away from the darker tone of 2016 and the more labyrinthian maps when they made Eternal so that they can return to it in the Quake reboot. Wishful thinking I know.

Not expecting much from Quakecon this week but a Quake teaser would be nice to see. Just something to confirm the game and establish the tone they're going for.

Justin9mm

Metro Redux (both)
Half Life 1 + 2
OG DOOM (and even 2016)
Quake II
Titanfall II
Bioshock 1 + Infinite
GoldenEye
Far Cry 1 + 3
Halo Combat Evolved
CoD 4 MW

[video][/video]

Having played all of those and FPS being my fav genre, I'm not sure how you can compare most of these two Doom Eternal and say they are better, most of these are nothing alike. It's like comparing I dunno, Gran Turismo to Dirt Rally. They're both racing games with cars but are nothing alike.

Apocryphon

Having played all of those and FPS being my fav genre, I'm not sure how you can compare most of these two Doom Eternal and say they are better, most of these are nothing alike. It's like comparing I dunno, Gran Turismo to Dirt Rally. They're both racing games with cars but are nothing alike.
I don't necessarily disagree but what would you compare it to then?

Surely we can argue the virtue of the level design, art direction, enemy and weapon variety etc? It's all subjective anyway but how do you think this discussion should go if we can't compare Eternal to other notable FPS games?

Justin9mm

I don't necessarily disagree but what would you compare it to then?

Surely we can argue the virtue of the level design, art direction, enemy and weapon variety etc? It's all subjective anyway but how do you think this discussion should go if we can't compare Eternal to other notable FPS games?
Well FPS games are not all designed the same, Eternal is an Arena Shooter which is a sub genre of an FPS. So you can compare games like Quake, OG Doom, Halo etc. As they are Arena shooters by design. A lot of these on the list are really just story driven action shooter games so I feel they don't belong. As an Arena shooter, Eternal is probably the perfect example of how well the Arena sub genre has evolved. By design it's everything you would want an Arena shooter to be.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

Well FPS games are not all designed the same, Eternal is an Arena Shooter which is a sub genre of an FPS. So you can compare games like Quake, OG Doom, Halo etc. As they are Arena shooters by design. A lot of these on the list are really just story driven action shooter games so I feel they don't belong. As an Arena shooter, Eternal is probably the perfect example of how well the Arena sub genre has evolved. By design it's everything you would want an Arena shooter to be.
Outside of multiplayer-centric games and maybe Prodeus, Amid Evil, and Dusk, you're not leaving anything particularly recent to compare it to. Halo Infinite I guess, and Eternal is a thousand times more enjoyable than that. Shadow Warrior 3 was a cheap clone that also doesn't stack up.

I'd say Amid Evil, Dusk, and Prodeus are all more enjoyable than Doom Eternal, but not because of their gameplay mechanics.. [though Dusk can be ridiculous with powerups like the Serum of Blistering Heat].. but because of their art direction, less constrained combat systems and world design.

Is Doom Eternal better than Quake? If we can include the Dimensions expansions I would say no. It looks better but it lacks atmosphere. It's a more impressive technical feat and it's much more polished, but is it as fun? Some say yes, others say no. It'll certainly be interesting to see what they do next.

It boggles my mind why they didn't just make Etwrnals MP a Quake III clone with the added dashing. It would have been better than Quake Champions since the one thing it's hard to criticise Doom Eternal for is it's movement system, outside of it not feeling like classic Doom. Doom 2016s MP wasn't good but they didn't have to abandon the concept. It was just far too slow.

OZ9000

Banned
So I'm replaying Doom Eternal for the 4th time and truthfully I don't think there is a single shooter out there which has got gameplay as good as this. The story sucks, the art style isn't as good as 2016, but the variety of levels and the combat arenas are so goddamn fun. Once you master the gameplay loop you genuinely feel like an unstoppable badass. I don't like the limited chainsaw recharge but don't mind glory kills, using flame belch for armor etc. DE gives you all the tools to dominate the demons.

Doom 2016 feels boring to play in comparison. In fact, every other shooter feels boring compared to Doom Eternal.

Last edited:

amigastar

So I'm replaying Doom Eternal for the 4th time and truthfully I don't think there is a single shooter out there which has got gameplay as good as this. The story sucks, the graphics suck, but the variety of levels and the combat arenas are so goddamn fun. Once you master the gameplay loop you genuinely feel like an unstoppable badass. I don't like the limited chainsaw recharge but don't mind glory kills, using flame belch for armor etc. DE gives you all the tools to dominate the demons.

Doom 2016 feels boring to play in comparison. In fact, every other shooter feels boring compared to Doom Eternal.
Yes, it is fun but the graphics don't suck. Infact it's so goddamn good optimized, loading times are short and everything.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
Yes, it is fun but the graphics don't suck. Infact it's so goddamn good optimized, loading times are short and everything.
Fair. The presentation/interface/art direction is worse versus 2016.

Graphics do look good on an LG OLED though.

I use a Reshade filter to improve the visuals personally. Looks much better that way.

Top Bottom