• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal is the best single player shooter ever made

bender

What time is it?
DOOM 2016 is a better game, plain and simple. Crank up the difficulty and enjoy one of the greatest soundtracks ever made as you rip and tear. It owns what it is and delivers it like never before.

DOOM Eternal is more mechanically complex, but the resulting game is messier, with its ideas often clashing in its attempt to simply be "more". The opening hour or two of the game is simply terrible game design, and needed to be completely re-done. The added focus on platforming is... a choice, and while adding Jumping Flash-esque complexity, it doesn't really improve the gameplay so much as it just adds more "stuff". It's not a bad game, but it's simply not as polished or focused as its predecessor.

It feels like Eternal was the messy original, and 2016 was the improved sequel where they got rid of the noise and made a tighter game.

The "noise" as you aptly describe it is why I didn't love 2016. It's a shame as the gun play is a ton of fun, it's just all the trappings surrounding it that bummed me out. Eternal cranked all that noise to 11.

The customizable home screen sums it up nicely.

maxresdefault.jpg

Doom Eternal sucks. Forcing you to use certain weapons on certain enemies is braindead design, it's some rock-paper-scissors shit. I distinctly remember the DLC has a version of the basic imp called a 'stone imp' that is only weak against the shotgun— the most contrived shit they could have come up with

2016 was a good game though

I bought it on PS4, immediately got pissed at the bethesda.net crap, and sold it lol. Bought on clearance so I actually made profit.

Still haven't looked to see if there's a cracked version on PC with none of the unlocks blocked

Hoddi

No disagreement from me. Easily my favorite FPS of the past 10 years at least.

I haven't played it with a gamepad though. I imagine it plays very differently on those and it seemed far more tailored for keyboard/mouse.

Apocryphon

Titanfall 2 is overrated as fuck. It isn't a bad game by any standard, but the people who compete it to Half Life are fucking delusional.

Doom Eternal is also overrated. It has worse art direction, a worse narrative, less memorable environments, and worse weapon design than Doom 2016. Visually impressive with some good level layouts, but it can be boring as fuck to play. Excellent game but it isn't anything like the best fps ever.

Titanfall 2 is overrated as fuck. It isn't a bad game by any standard, but the people who compete it to Half Life are fucking delusional.
Who is comparing it to Half Life though? It's just a solid campaign with fun movement mechanics. It's not like it's a masterful shooter, it's just very good as a single-player FPS (something that is dying out)

Titanfall 2 is defo better than Half Life 2 though. Fuck HL2.

bender

What time is it?

Considering the original didn't have a campaign, I think Titanfall 2 was just a very pleasant surprise. It has variety out the wazoo and it's run time is so short that it never even comes close to overstaying it's welcome. I'd take it over Half Life 2 but I always thought that game was overrated, had massive pacing issues and paled in comparison to the original. I do think Valve found their footing again with Episode 2.

Apocryphon

Who is comparing it to Half Life though? It's just a solid campaign with fun movement mechanics. It's not like it's a masterful shooter, it's just very good as a single-player FPS (something that is dying out)

Titanfall 2 is defo better than Half Life 2 though. Fuck HL2.
Titanfall 2 and Half Life 2 are almost universally listed in people's 'greatest ever' lists and the amount of people that will tell you that TF2 is as good or better than Half Life is mind boggling. Great game? Yes. Best fps ever? Not by a long shot as far as I'm concerned. I'd take a Titanfall 3 in a heartbeat though because 2 is good and the multiplayer is something that's massively underrated.

Nothing still compares to Half Life 2. That game is nearly 20 years old and should not have superior atmosphere and world-building compared to modern games. Even the somewhat jank physics are better than 90% of the stuff today, which is pathetic.

Nah. HL2 was my first introduction to PC gaming and the game that made me buy a gaming PC. It feels like a have a duty to say it's bad. The level design sucks for the most part and enemies are bullet sponges

Titanfall 2 and Half Life 2 are almost universally listed in people's 'greatest ever' lists and the amount of people that will tell you that TF2 is as good or better than Half Life is mind boggling. Great game? Yes. Best fps ever? Not by a long shot as far as I'm concerned. I'd take a Titanfall 3 in a heartbeat though because 2 is good and the multiplayer is something that's massively underrated.
Titanfall 2 has a sick campaign but it's not as epic as, for instance, FEAR's campaign. I would maybe give it credit for being the best FPS campaign in the last decade though which seems like high enough praise; I'm not sure what out there is better

and to be clear, I haven't personally seen anyone claiming the Titanfall 2 campaign is the best ever FPS campaign lol

bender

What time is it?
Nah. HL2 was my first introduction to PC gaming and the game that made me buy a gaming PC. It feels like a have a duty to say it's bad. The level design sucks for the most part and enemies are bullet sponges

Ravenholm is dope though. I actually started going through HL2 again recently and what really sticks out is how unsatisfying the guns feel. I know not everything can be on the level of RE4, but HL gets outclassed by most shooters in this regard.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Pretty sure it's still Turok 2. At least to me.

Doom at least with both 2016 and Eternal is more a fastpaced room clearing arena shooter.

Also gimme a gun that does this.

3f6.gif

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Pretty sure it's still Turok 2. At least to me.

Doom at least with both 2016 and Eternal is more a fastpaced room clearing arena shooter.

Also gimme a gun that does this.

3f6.gif

I came to Turok really late with the Switch releases. I had a good time with the original and fell off of two pretty quickly. I'm not sure I can put my finger on why. I need to revisit it at some point.

I don’t even generally play fps games but I played doom 2016 and Eternal and had an absolute blast, Eternal was an improvement on 2016 in nearly every way except maybe music.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I came to Turok really late with the Switch releases. I had a good time with the original and fell off of two pretty quickly. I'm not sure I can put my finger on why. I need to revisit it at some point.
Major turnoffs is completing objectives if you don't know where to go and backtracking in a few levels. Specifically the Hive. I've always had a soft spot for Turok 2 since to me it's always been the FPS with the most weapons to choose from.

Fredrik

Cool. I basically never play first person shooters, because I think they’re broken to the core since you can get shot and even insta killed by something not even on the screen and without even having seen an enemy bullet (Imagine that happening in a shmup), but I’ll install DOOM Eternal, since it’s supposedly the best, then use that to decide if I’ll ever touch a first person shooter again.

Apocryphon

Major turnoffs is completing objectives if you don't know where to go and backtracking in a few levels. Specifically the Hive. I've always had a soft spot for Turok 2 since to me it's always been the FPS with the most weapons to choose from.
Yeah I loved the weapons in Turok 2 when it came out. The Mag 60, Razorwind, and Cerebral Bore were highlights for me. Dismemberment in that game is a lot of fun.

Skifi28

It feels like they tried too hard to cram way too many things in the game. Sometimes simplicity works in your favor and boy, did they completely go the other way.

Having some resource management is good, but too much of it while being a twitch shooter is hardly ideal. I want to focus on killing things and dodging, not try and build a settlement at the same time.

Apocryphon

Cool. I basically never play first person shooters, because I think they’re broken to the core since you can get shot and even insta killed by something not even on the screen and without even having seen an enemy bullet (Imagine that happening in a shmup), but I’ll install DOOM Eternal, since it’s supposedly the best, then use that to decide if I’ll ever touch a first person shooter again.
Stop playing Call of Duty my guy.

Fredrik

Stop playing Call of Duty my guy.
Already did, started and stopped with COD4. I actually think I hate roguelike more than the FPS genre, but I played Returnal for 9 hours before only feeling hate in my whole body, so who knows there is still a chance I could like DOOM Eternal. Because Eternal is not a roguelike, right?

Last edited:

Apocryphon

Already did, started and stopped with COD4. I actually think a hate roguelike more than the FPS genre, and I played Returnal for 9 hours before only feeling hate in my whole body, so who knows there is still a chance I could like DOOM Eternal. Because Eternal is not a roguelike, right?
No, it's a fairly straight forward FPS that leans heavily into movement, hectic combat, and resource management. It's a good game and there isn't anything else quite like it, but it isn't the best FPS ever made.

Shooters like this aren't for everybody though. You really do need to have a good sense of spacial awareness as enemies will be coming from all sides. No harm in playing it, but I still wouldn't abandon the genre if you don't happen to like it as it's an acquired taste and inferior to the 2016 game.

Have you played Quake, FEAR, Half Life, and Prey 2006?

Fredrik

No, it's a fairly straight forward FPS that leans heavily into movement, hectic combat, and resource management. It's a good game and there isn't anything else quite like it, but it isn't the best FPS ever made.

Shooters like this aren't for everybody though. You really do need to have a good sense of spacial awareness as enemies will be coming from all sides. No harm in playing it, but I still wouldn't abandon the genre if you don't happen to like it as it's an acquired taste and inferior to the 2016 game.

Have you played Quake, FEAR, Half Life, and Prey 2006?
Okay I’ll give it a try. Don’t even know what spacial awareness is lol

No I usually don’t play first person shooters. I’ve played the first DOOM in the 90s, and Disruptor on PS1, demo of Halo 1, COD4 on 360, a bit of Killzone 1 and SF, played through Halo 4 and 5, tried a new minutes of Battlefield 1 and V, played a couple hours of Halo Infinite too. A few of them was okay enough that I could see glimpses of what people like about them.

The problem for me is for real that enemies outside of the screen can hurt me. For me that’s a broken gameplay mechanic. Then they’ve tried to make it less broken by indicating from which direction you’re being shot with colors or arrows or whatever.

Why not just turning the camera down and zoom out so you see a little guy in the middle of the screen? There, now you see the enemies all around you and the bullets and every approaching threat and it’s not broken anymore.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Started playing it with a controller and was having a blast until I started a fight that required me to do many sniper shots to destroy enemy weapons... Shit was impossible, got really mad and rage quit for a couple weeks more or less...

Today I went back to try again and same story, but instead of quitting, I just switched the screen from TV to desk monitor and started playing with mouse and keyboard, died some times more because I wasnt aware of game controls yet and man, it was a totally different game, incredible combat as difficult as it is. But it has some annoying things...

1. Lost all my lives in the fucking lava because when the game revived me, it did it right in the fucking lava and died again and again... That shit cannot be normal, must be a bug ffs.

2. Too many unnecessary stuff added, it actually makes me feel overwhelmed to the point I'm just going straight to main objectives to avoid thinking on all the stuff it has... That's not a game that should have a fucking basement building wtf... Just let me shoot nonstop.

3. Too many fucking pauses to read a fucking tutorial message on screen... Ffs srsly? I mostly don't care about tutorial sections or whatever but I'm almost through half the campaign and still being interrupted all the time by fucking pop-up message.

The combat is great but everything else feels just unnecessary, overwhelming, annoying or just ok... They added so much that they forgot to stop and think if they should in first place.

Overall a very good game, I'm just ignoring whatever not mandatory unless they get in my way somehow.

Last edited:
I think they leaned a bit too much into Rock, Paper, Scissors with the weapons. Every enemy had its own weapon that you needed to kill it with.
Fine if a certain enemy is more prone to rocket damage, but don’t make it mandatory to use a rocket launcher to kill it.

And some enemies just killed the fun and pacing out of the combat (especially the dude with the ghost wolf)

TonyK

I'm one of those that doesn't like the core loop of using specific objects to get life, ammo or armor. It feels like a mobile game and its cooldowns and currencies. I hated it from beginning to end because that system never did click for me.

Top Bottom