• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal is the best single player shooter ever made

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Agree with OP. I can understand it's not for everyone, but I can't think of a better single player fps.

Doom Eternal's ammo, shield, health management is what makes the game (when placed atop all the things that make a great game) but at the same time, it requires practically zero effort from the player if you play the game long enough to learn the system.

I suppose you could compare it to wanting to be a streetfighter champion but not wanting to learn the special moves.

Personally, that didn't take long at all, I don't really understand why so many had a problem with it - I never ran out of ammo, which seems a common complaint, for example.

Doom Eternal is at it's best when you are fighting with it, and so I say play it on as high a difficulty as you can bear and keep going until you don't have to think about health, armour and ammo. You need them constantly, so you must constantly top them up.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
And some enemies just killed the fun and pacing out of the combat (especially the dude with the ghost wolf)

That's one of the genius things about DE, first time you meet some enemies they're unbeatable bosses. Then a little later they're just standard enemies and the game throws two of them at you at once.

I love that DE just keeps on upping the ante.

Ywap

While i respect op:s and the rest of you guys opinions i very much prefer Serious Sam and Hard Reset myself.

I think the evil demonic colors were just too much for me to cope with 😨

fxjwAKM.png

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Eternal could do with less gimmicks. And with that I mean the quicksand, lava and totem shit. Those gimmicks were added on top of already a challenging and demanding game. Its ammo system I don't like in particular either. Sometimes it felt I was restocking more than actual slaying enemies. But its a better game than 2016 for sure, just took me much longer to finally click. Its more varied, better pacing, its not solely about clearing hordes in a closed room. Eternal's mechanics and movement are unmatched really, but again, it needs to click and to become muscle memory. I can see why this is pissing off players, not everyone enjoys the steep difficulty of DMC and the such either. Especially on harder difficulties you need to use freeze, flamethrower etc like clockwork.

I think I'm going to replay it soon, grab the items I missed and try some challenges.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Depends on what you’re after.

Fast paced crazy action? Eternal’s up their with the best - but it’s less of a Doom game in my eyes.

Personally I prefer slower paced FPS games, that are more adventure then arcade style. Stuff like the Metro games.

GametimeUK

I'm more of a Halo guy, but I do love Doom Eternal from a pure gameplay perspective. If we are counting Metroid Prime then that's my absolute favourite.

Inuteu

Ethernal makes doom 2016 look slow

my only problem with the game are those annoying jump puzzles.they break the pace of the game

I bought this immediately after DOOM 2016 and was so put off by the shift I never continued. Not because it was bad, but it wasn’t exactly like the previous game.

Didn’t help that people would constantly insist that Eternal is simply not as good.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I bought this immediately after DOOM 2016 and was so put off by the shift I never continued. Not because it was bad, but it wasn’t exactly like the previous game.

Didn’t help that people would constantly insist that Eternal is simply not as good.
This is probably most people who don't acknowledge it as the FPS GOAT, they just noped on it before they mastered it and didn't finish it.

It's actually much better than 2016 you robbed yourself.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Doom 2016 on Switch (Handheld mode) is the most impressive video game I have ever played.

While I have not played "Eternal" yet, it is not a stretch for me to understand where the OP is coming from.

MikeM

Can agree its top 5 for me. I double dipped on PS and Xbox. Finished them both including DLC and almost platted them (FU multiplayer trophies) both Ps4 and Ps5 versions.

Bragr

Banned
The more childish popcorn colorful vibe of Doom Eternal is more geared towards kids and old ladies, Doom 2016 was for men.

The resource hunting and yoyo enemies clinging to you like candy is not that great. It's childish actually.

Basically, 2016 is the real deal and Doom Eternal is a great but more of a silly shooter. The soundtrack and locations of 2016 are steaks and sweet potatoes, Doom Eternal is like a fish stick, it works, but it's some soft knees bullshit at the same time.

I think gameplay loop of Doom Eternal and the story of Doom 2016 would be the best. But gameplay loop of Doom Eternal was crazy good.

Last edited:

DonF

I hated eternal but loved 2016. I believe they went too far with the gunplay. Too many cooldowns and weapons and very limited ammo. I didn't like it. I prefer the simpler more focused approach of 2016. Also eternal feels confusing in it's story, whereas 2016 was way clearer. You were in the surface of a base, went deeper and deeper and finally hell. Eternal you are jumping all over the place I don't know why.

Not true at all. Sounds like you didn't progress as you gain more abilities and surpass the abilities in 2016.

Those that played through Doom Eternal and did all the bonuses, collectables, and get the secrets seem to appreciate how great the game is. It truly is a gem, but not for everyone.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Eternal isn't even a good Doom for me, it felt like an arena deathmatch game with too much platforming,and no where near as good as Doom 2016 or Doom 3, and i would rate the Half Life's, 1 and 2 plus FEAR 1 a lot higher as fps games and i enjoyed Rage 2 a lot more aswell, i was disappointed with Doom Eternal, the weapon and ammo mechanics, the story and the atmosphere, i hope the next Doom is more like 2016.

Last edited:

Ladioss

I had way more fun with Doom 2016 but I think the gameplay of Eternal is genius.

My major gripe with Eternal was trying to give it a "serious" plot with lore and stakes and whatever. It felt tone-deaf, something only your average idiotic university brat trying to deconstruct the socio-political discourse of the Smurfs would even dream to attempt.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

Okay I’ll give it a try. Don’t even know what spacial awareness is lol

No I usually don’t play first person shooters. I’ve played the first DOOM in the 90s, and Disruptor on PS1, demo of Halo 1, COD4 on 360, a bit of Killzone 1 and SF, played through Halo 4 and 5, tried a new minutes of Battlefield 1 and V, played a couple hours of Halo Infinite too. A few of them was okay enough that I could see glimpses of what people like about them.

The problem for me is for real that enemies outside of the screen can hurt me. For me that’s a broken gameplay mechanic. Then they’ve tried to make it less broken by indicating from which direction you’re being shot with colors or arrows or whatever.

Why not just turning the camera down and zoom out so you see a little guy in the middle of the screen? There, now you see the enemies all around you and the bullets and every approaching threat and it’s not broken anymore.

I love The Ascent and I appreciate what you are saying. FPS games can be more immersive because of their perspective though.. having you see through the eyes of the character you're playing. Since our eyes are in the front of out heads, we can't see what's behind us without turning around, so you need to navigate through the spaces making note of enemy positions are where appropriate cover is.

Good FPS combat is all about sight lines and making use of the environment. Getting shot from offscreen can be frustrating in games like Call of Duty where every enemy is firing hitscan weapons, but much less so in Halo where they stand out more and have audio cues that give away their positions.

I don't think you'll like Doom Eternal at all unfortunately. I'd recommend the original Half Life, its remake (Black Mesa), or something like Prey 2017 or the Dishonoured games.

No disagreement from me. Easily my favorite FPS of the past 10 years at least.

I haven't played it with a gamepad though. I imagine it plays very differently on those and it seemed far more tailored for keyboard/mouse.
Finished on on ps5 dualsense. Wasnt too bad but my hand was cramped for the rest of the day.

Fredrik

I love The Ascent and I appreciate what you are saying. FPS games can be more immersive because of their perspective though.. having you see through the eyes of the character you're playing. Since our eyes are in the front of out heads, we can't see what's behind us without turning around, so you need to navigate through the spaces making note of enemy positions are where appropriate cover is.

Good FPS combat is all about sight lines and making use of the environment. Getting shot from offscreen can be frustrating in games like Call of Duty where every enemy is firing hitscan weapons, but much less so in Halo where they stand out more and have audio cues that give away their positions.

I don't think you'll like Doom Eternal at all unfortunately. I'd recommend the original Half Life, its remake (Black Mesa), or something like Prey 2017 or the Dishonoured games.
I’ve played the start of Half-Life and could at least see how it has inspired many devs.
I played some Half-Life Alyx too maybe a year ago and that was pretty awesome, for awhile. There we can talk about immersion!

But I don’t know I think I’m just more into vertical, horizontal, top-down shoot’em ups than first person shooters.

Third person shooters are okay. I like Gears 1 and 5. And I liked Returnal a ton (at least until I realized I hated roguelikes with wild passion), visible slow bullets were a great idea imo, but the camera perspective was again getting in the way for me.

I’m installing DOOM Eternal as we speak so I’ll try it even though it might piss me off. I promise I’ll write something if it’s surprising me.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
OK, but still a huge downgrade from the main campaign.
Different tastes I guess! I loved it both in the main game and the DLCs, thought Levy and Hulshult made a great job for it.

That said... I was already a fan of Hulshult work coming from ROTT and DUSK, so yeah, I might slightly biased. :lollipop_tongue:

Top Bottom