• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal is the best single player shooter ever made

Played Half Life 2 for the first time a few months ago and can confirm HL2 is overrated. There's better FPS games pre and post Half Life 2. It was never the GOAT in the genre.

So you played and compared HL2 to other games, but 15 years after its original release? I mean what did you expect, these generational games you need to have played day one to understand what big of an impact they had. First of all, no game and I mean none had even close the physics engine as HL2 did at the time. The facial animations, not only looked more realistic but also well animated. Doom 3 couldn't even have a proper bald headed guy without visible triangles that can't even make a head shape...dont even get me started on those stiff animations for both body and face. Doom 3 did amazing lighting though. Also you are forgetting, HL2 wasn't being judged on its own...it was a long awaited sequel and it delivered, it was a massive leap to a multi year GOTY prior.

Nowadays of course you aren't impressed by it. But a year before its release you had the very first COD, Unreal 2, Postal 2, Wolfenstein Enemy Territory etc. Compared to them, HL2 was a generational leap in every sense. I won't say HL2 today is some god give golden shit because we advanced so much but for its time, it deserved every accolade it got.

Himuro

So you played and compared HL2 to other games, but 15 years after its original release? I mean what did you expect, these generational games you need to have played day one to understand what big of an impact they had. First of all, no game and I mean none had even close the physics engine as HL2 did at the time. The facial animations, not only looked more realistic but also well animated. Doom 3 couldn't even have a proper bald headed guy without visible triangles that can't even make a head shape...dont even get me started on those stiff animations for both body and face. Doom 3 did amazing lighting though. Also you are forgetting, HL2 wasn't being judged on its own...it was a long awaited sequel and it delivered, it was a massive leap to a multi year GOTY prior.

Nowadays of course you aren't impressed by it. But a year before its release you had the very first COD, Unreal 2, Postal 2, Wolfenstein Enemy Territory etc. Compared to them, HL2 was a generational leap in every sense. I won't say HL2 today is some god give golden shit because we advanced so much but for its time, it deserved every accolade it got.
This is outright lie. I got HL2 in 2005. It was the first fps I ever bought. It took multiple tries to complete it. It was so boring. Extremely so in fact I thought I didn't like the genre until recently because people said that was the best fpses had to offer. Even on this very site, which I've been on since 2005, it was a very common occurrence when Orange Box came out, mere 2-3 years after HL2, to say,"I didn't care for Half Life 2 but the Episodes were dope. Also Portal is the Orange Boxes killer app." Three years. Many people thought Half Life 2 sucked shit for the longest but we weren't allowed to say anything because of the Valve cult.

Half Life 2 in the Orange Box was the first opportunity many even got to play HL2 because HL2 never came to the PS2, the previous gens most popular console. And yet even within the Orange Box it was eclipsed by a first person puzzle game that featured cake.

I recently fell in love with fps games and have beaten Halo 1,2, and a few others so I decided to reinstall Half Life 2 after not having played it in 9 years and it's still booty cheeks. The atmosphere and storytelling of the first ten minutes is FANTASTIC and utterly iconic and then you finally get a gun. No recoil, enemies don't show damage they've been hit, zero impact, enemy ai just STANDS there. Horrible enemy encounters and engagement, a tiny ass reticule, padded stretched out parts like the buggy, or crappy physics puzzles. Half Life 2 (base game) is a tech demo and nothing more. It is a poor sequel and an even poorer first person shooter. The only way it becomes good is when you reclassify it as first person adventure or something.

Even for 2004 it's bad. There's so many group alternatives. Halo 2 itself is far better. I'm sure Doom 3, which came out around its release is also better. Return to Castle Wolfenstein seems better than HL2 as well and I know for a fact Unreal 2004 is better. I played Riddick a little after I got Half Life 2 and it kicked that nerdy scientists ass and made it look like amateur hour. So the "bububut look at the competition of that era bubu" doesn't even hold.

The Episodes 1 and 2 however, those are the actual good parts.

Half Life 2 is one of the most overrated first person shooters of all time if not THE most overrated and I say this as someone who bought nearly at release and it being my first fps.

Here's when you first get your pistol in HL2.

Meanwhile here's a game from 2001.

Half Life 2 is balls as an fps. Good if you want an "experience", but as a first person shooter?

Last edited:

Apocryphon

I enjoyed Half Life 2 at the time but always felt that it didn't live up to the first game. But then again I also think Doom 3 is a great game, particularly due to it's atmosphere.

Half Life 2 has many redeeming qualities, but it's combat isn't one of them. I love the world, but overall it doesn't really hold up anymore without modding. I'd like a Half Life 3 as much as anybody and I found Alyx to be one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had, but while Half Life 2 will always be remembered as a great game, I don't agree that it's a great shooter.

This is outright lie. I got HL2 in 2005. It was the first fps I ever bought. It took multiple tries to complete it. It was so boring. Extremely so in fact I thought I didn't like the genre until recently because people said that was the best fpses had to offer. Even on this very site, which I've been on since 2005, it was a very common occurrence when Orange Box came out, mere 2-3 years after HL2, to say,"I didn't care for Half Life 2 but the Episodes were dope. Also Portal is the Orange Boxes killer app." Three years. Many people thought Half Life 2 sucked shit for the longest but we weren't allowed to say anything because of the Valve cult.

Straight up Half-Life 2 is the game that got me into PC gaming. A pal from school showed me the game and I was blown away by the high resolution and smoothness of it. It's a little shameful that it was for such a superficial reason, but I pestered my parents for a gaming PC and got one very soon after...

It's a boring fucking game. Enemies are bullet sponges and the encounters aren't terribly interesting. Lots of people loved the gravity gun just because the idea of picking stuff up and throwing it was cool in a technical sense, but it's a very facile kind of mechanic that isn't really worked into the game in any good way outside of a few sawblades you can use in the exact area it's introduced in.

It actually put me off playing the original Half-Life for a long time, and that's a shame because HL1 is a good game.

I have seen a lot of people agree that HL2 isn't a good game though, I've been on forums where that's the consensus opinion.

Now, if you want a good mid-00s FPS, play FEAR. It's the best game of that era IMO.

Straight up Half-Life 2 is the game that got me into PC gaming. A pal from school showed me the game and I was blown away by the high resolution and smoothness of it. It's a little shameful that it was for such a superficial reason, but I pestered my parents for a gaming PC and got one very soon after...

It's a boring fucking game. Enemies are bullet sponges and the encounters aren't terribly interesting. Lots of people loved the gravity gun just because the idea of picking stuff up and throwing it was cool in a technical sense, but it's a very facile kind of mechanic that isn't really worked into the game in any good way outside of a few sawblades you can use in the exact area it's introduced in.

It actually put me off playing the original Half-Life for a long time, and that's a shame because HL1 is a good game.

I have seen a lot of people agree that HL2 isn't a good game though, I've been on forums where that's the consensus opinion.

Now, if you want a good mid-00s FPS, play FEAR. It's the best game of that era IMO.

The glory of Half-Life 2 was both the time in which it released, the technological and graphical leaps it provided, the absurd amount of modding that it allowed, and its pacing. The core shooting was never anything special, but that isn’t what made Half-life fantastic. It was the environments, the set pieces, things kept moving, kept changing and providing new experiences. From Escaping and utilizing the physics engine to help run from the Combine to commandeering a boat, trying to get through an ant-lion infested desert, fending off choke points using the very things you struggled to survive against with the enemies own weapons as well - it was a constant, break neck pace that kept you on your toes and offered something new around every turn.

Yes, the game isn’t the best today - but we have better games today BECAUSE of the great design and concepts that Half-life 2 brought to the forefront. FEAR is a great shooter, but there is a reason why one of the biggest criticisms was how long and repetitive the title was. It didn‘t offer nearly the same variety of levels and mission designs as Half-Life 2 did and its why it never reached the same highs.

Himuro

The glory of Half-Life 2 was both the time in which it released, the technological and graphical leaps it provided, the absurd amount of modding that it allowed, and its pacing. The core shooting was never anything special, but that isn’t what made Half-life fantastic. It was the environments, the set pieces, things kept moving, kept changing and providing new experiences. From Escaping and utilizing the physics engine to help run from the Combine to commandeering a boat, trying to get through an ant-lion infested desert, fending off choke points using the very things you struggled to survive against with the enemies own weapons as well - it was a constant, break neck pace that kept you on your toes and offered something new around every turn.

Yes, the game isn’t the best today - but we have better games today BECAUSE of the great design and concepts that Half-life 2 brought to the forefront. FEAR is a great shooter, but there is a reason why one of the biggest criticisms was how long and repetitive the title was. It didn‘t offer nearly the same variety of levels and mission designs as Half-Life 2 did and its why it never reached the same highs.

"The game isn't the best today."

Our point is that the game was never the best. At anything. Even when it came out. And it's time to we should be able to admit it. Half Life 2 is a good game, but it's not a good shooter and it never was.

My man/woman! A lot of people have been saying this for years and this idea that "you had to be there at the time" NO DUDE, we were fucking there and the game dragged like a molasses going up a hill in January.

Last edited:
My man/woman! A lot of people have been saying this for years and this idea that "you had to be there at the time" NO DUDE, we were fucking there and the game dragged like a molasses going up a hill in January.

Now that we've scientifically established beyond all doubt that Half Life 2 is a bad game, can we figure out whether it or Doom Eternal is the worst game? I haven't read the thread because I'm lazy but I assume this is undecided. I dislike both but I think Eternal might actually be better because it's more satisfying in a visceral sense

e: I read a page back and my man/woman I do recommend you play Doom 2016. The glorykill mechanic sucks ass but otherwise the game is legit fun.

Last edited:

Himuro

Now that we've scientifically established beyond all doubt that Half Life 2 is a bad game, can we figure out whether it or Doom Eternal is the worst game? I haven't read the thread because I'm lazy but I assume this is undecided. I dislike both but I think Eternal might actually be better because it's more satisfying in a visceral sense
Haven't played Doom Eternal yet but looking at videos of it, it looks like the most insipid shooter I've ever seen. Every single video I see of it you're forced into an arena and just kill enemies constantly. There's no mix of action and exploration. I have absolutely no idea what's going on or why the action isn't mixed with the exploration.

Apocryphon

Eternal certainly isn't the worst, it's up there with some of the best, but Doom 2016 is better:

😂

Haven't played Doom Eternal yet but looking at videos of it, it looks like the most insipid shooter I've ever seen. Every single video I see of it you're forced into an arena and just kill enemies constantly. There's no mix of action and exploration. I have absolutely no idea what's going on or why the action isn't mixed with the exploration.

Doom 2016 does this but in combination with a decent amount of level exploration. It's more of a twitch shooter than the classics, but it does have some of the target prioritisation and a decent amount of tactics to what you're doing. It's not bad, really.

Eternal on the other hand is a game more interested in making you play Simon Says. Use x weapon against y enemy. The most insulting example is the DLC enemy, Stone Imp, which is an imp that is weak only against the shotgun's rapid fire attachment (but not regular shotgun blasts).

Himuro

Doom 2016 does this but in combination with a decent amount of level exploration. It's more of a twitch shooter than the classics, but it does have some of the target prioritisation and a decent amount of tactics to what you're doing. It's not bad, really.

Eternal on the other hand is a game more interested in making you play Simon Says. Use x weapon against y enemy. The most insulting example is the DLC enemy, Stone Imp, which is an imp that is weak only against the shotgun's rapid fire attachment (but not regular shotgun blasts).
That sounds super unappealing because one of my favorite aspects of fps games is that there's often no bad weapon.

That sounds super unappealing because one of my favorite aspects of fps games is that there's often no bad weapon.

Yeah exactly, and Doom 2016 is good exactly because it lets you use whatever tool you want for the situation. Eternal has like a rock-paper-scissors system and it sucks ass

OZ9000

Banned
Unlike Halo 2 Eternal is a difficult but fair game which is a cornerstone of good gameplay. Anyone can say anything is easy so let's see some receipts, clear a master level on nightmare and post it uncut.
That's actually the best thing about Doom Eternal.

It provides you with all the tools at your disposal to actually dominate the arena without having what I call artificial difficulty. Halo 2 on Legendary is bullshit difficult, not fun difficult.

Although I did consider the final level of Horde mode to be straight up bullshit. And I only managed to complete it at Medium mode difficulty.

SpiceRacz

I'm not even comparing it to modern FPS games. Even held up against games of it's era, it's not the best in the genre. There's FPS games prior that have better single player campaigns. Most of what you're pointing to is technological advances in the game engine that really don't factor into anything I'm talking about. I could give a fuck about those things because I think the campaign/story isn't anywhere near as good as people make it out to be and that's ultimately what matters.

I missed out on a lot of FPS games from the 90s and onward. In the past 2 years I've played a lot of the games from before and after HL2. Maybe I'm coming at it from a different place, but Half Life 2 didn't really impress me. I enjoyed my time with Unreal Gold, Quake, Doom 64, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Powerslave/Exhumed more than Half Life 2. I'm probably forgetting others that I've played, but I can tell you there's not much about it that really stuck out to me.

Shifty

I'd take a modern remake of Hexen but they'd need to cut back on that bullshit. I'll play the remaster when it hits too but I'll be using a fucking guide. Good game, but stressful as hell.
My LAN group tried to play through it in co-op back in the day. If memory serves we lasted until the guardian of steel, then our mage started complaining that the game was bugged and unfinishable because even with a four-man search team there was no progress to be had.

I don't blame him.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I hate that these stupid threads always end up with some people going “you are not skilled enough and have not finished the game 3 times on ultra violence” when faced with real criticism of level design and so on…

Just cmon. I think we can all at least agree that this isn’t doom. Doom was never this fast. It was more of an atmospheric puzzle shooter. The firefights are more similar in halo than in new doom. It was never about super fast action.

SpiceRacz

I hate that these stupid threads always end up with some people going “you are not skilled enough and have not finished the game 3 times on ultra violence” when faced with real criticism of level design and so on…

Just cmon. I think we can all at least agree that this isn’t doom. Doom was never this fast. It was more of an atmospheric puzzle shooter. The firefights are more similar in halo than in new doom. It was never about super fast action.

Yep. Doom Eternal takes some steps forward, but also some steps back in a lot of ways. There's some legitimate bad design choices in the combat and levels that are completely unrelated to the difficulty level. I think playing this game on a higher difficulty would have ruined the experience entirely for me.

Scotty W

I agree with a lot of what you say, but I disagree about the essence of Doom. If you have followed the mapping community, you will have seen how popular slaughter maps have become.

I think id was drawing from this, rather than the original maps. Recall that 2016 was originally much slower, but they changed it because it was just like everything else. Honestly, I have not seen any fundamental innovations in fps‘s since the gravity gun and Portals. There was not really anywhere to go, except do what the community has been doing.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

I agree with a lot of what you say, but I disagree about the essence of Doom. If you have followed the mapping community, you will have seen how popular slaughter maps have become.

I think id was drawing from this, rather than the original maps. Recall that 2016 was originally much slower, but they changed it because it was just like everything else. Honestly, I have not seen any fundamental innovations in fps‘s since the gravity gun and Portals. There was not really anywhere to go, except do what the community has been doing.

I don't think many people are complaining about the changes id made with Doom 2016. It's certainly not classic Doom, but it had phenomenal art direction and memorable levels. It's the changes made to the combat formula in Eternal and the platforming that seems to irk most of its detractors.

You're not wrong about community innovation. Stuff like LiTDoom is keeping things fresh:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

Doom was not about aiming in Y axis and having 3D monsters too. This is better Doom.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Doom was not about aiming in Y axis and having 3D monsters too. This is better Doom.
We are not talking about technical limitations.
Doom was essentially a different game.
Eternal is not "better" doom. It's just a different game entirely. It does not have this puzzle shooter feel imo

Shifty

Complaing about people abusing the "git gud or no opinion" fallacy, yup - with you so far - right to critique and all that.

Aaand bring out the "everyone implicitly agree with me please" one paragraph later. Bruh.

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
We are not talking about technical limitations.
Doom was essentially a different game.
Eternal is not "better" doom. It's just a different game entirely. It does not have this puzzle shooter feel imo
Y axis aiming was not a technical limitation as you can not it in. It was a choice.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Doom is a 3D game. Just monsters, guns and some objects are sprites.
... Doom is not a 3d game.
There is no real Y axis. It's 2d planes projected in a specific way... it's not a 3d engine....

4 minutes onward

The fact you can hit enemies above or below is not auto aim. The enemy is just standing in front of you but it's projected to look like he is above.

Last edited:

Shifty

Doom is a 3D game. Just monsters, guns and some objects are sprites.
Only enhanced source ports make the simulation truly 3D.

In the OG code, everything has an infinite column for a hitbox on account of being top-down 2D like the map is. Even rocket splash damage, which iirc is the lynchpin of the Icon of Sin boss functioning properly.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
There is no real Y axis. It's 2d planes projected in a specific way... it's not a 3d engine....

4 minutes onward

The fact you can hit enemies above or below is not auto aim. The enemy is just standing in front of you but it's projected to look like he is above.

So Eternal (and 3 and 2016) is even less Doom as it is full 3D.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Only enhanced source ports make the simulation truly 3D.

In the OG code, everything has an infinite column for a hitbox on account of being top-down 2D like the map is. Even rocket splash damage, which iirc is the lynchpin of the Icon of Sin boss functioning properly.
So Zdoom "transforms" the game to 3D as I can aim on Y axis? Or using "no clip"?

Last edited:

Shifty

So Zdoom "transforms" the game to 3D as I can aim on Y axis? Or ising "no clip"?
Yep. For example, rockets always flew visually toward their target in 3D even when autoaimed without Y mouselook, but gameplay-wise were faking using 2D. It's the same for things like player camera elevation on elevators - extra tricks to serve the illusion that a 2.5D game is fully 3D.

There are settings inside ZDoom's compatibility menu you can change to experience it with the original quirks and limits, though I forget their individual names off the top of my head since that menu is huge.

Last edited:

egocrata

Banned
I did beat Doom 2016 in one sitting, and then replayed. Loved it. Only issue with the game is the annoying upgrade and progression system getting in the way of I WANT TO SHOOT AT DEMONS.

Eternal… it has a lot more of the upgrade garbage, platform sections, and it is just not the same. Really disappointed with it.

PrimeX

Doom Eternal is indeed the best FPS I played, but god damnit the Ancient Gods 1 & 2 are a big challenge. I am stuck on a map in AG1 and it frustrates me so much that I am beginning to hate on all the franchise. It's fuckin imposible...
And after almost 30 years from the first time I played Quake 1 I'm close to finish it on my switch 😂 This would be the second best FPS on my list.

OZ9000

Banned
Honestly a lot of complaints for Doom Eternal are remedied thanks to the modding community.

You can make the game more similar to 2016 as opposed to ammo resource manager with a few tweaks.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

4 minutes onward

It works as auto aim should, IMHO it is part of what made the game fast and yet enjoyable and accessible.

OZ9000

Banned
Doom Eternal is indeed the best FPS I played, but god damnit the Ancient Gods 1 & 2 are a big challenge. I am stuck on a map in AG1 and it frustrates me so much that I am beginning to hate on all the franchise. It's fuckin imposible...
And after almost 30 years from the first time I played Quake 1 I'm close to finish it on my switch 😂 This would be the second best FPS on my list.
Lower the difficulty. TAG is a bitch compared to the base game tbh.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It works as auto aim should, IMHO it is part of what made the game fast and yet enjoyable and accessible.
Yes. It's simple to control and understand but difficult to master. That's the point.
Not requiring crazy skill from player and discerning the contents of busy ass screen

Honestly a lot of complaints for Doom Eternal are remedied thanks to the modding community.

You can make the game more similar to 2016 as opposed to ammo resource manager with a few tweaks.

If you think it is a resource manager, then you were bad at the game. Even on Ultra Nightmare I never had to worry about my resources, just priority targets (which I had full control over how I would dispatch them). You are naturally going to use every skill in your toolset so worrying about flame belcher vs ice grenade vs crucible sword vs chainsaw was never a thing unless you have the aim of a drunken college chick trying to blow three dudes at once.

OZ9000

Banned
If you think it is a resource manager, then you were bad at the game. Even on Ultra Nightmare I never had to worry about my resources, just priority targets (which I had full control over how I would dispatch them). You are naturally going to use every skill in your toolset so worrying about flame belcher vs ice grenade vs crucible sword vs chainsaw was never a thing unless you have the aim of a drunken college chick trying to blow three dudes at once.
I've completed the game multiple times so no, I'm not bad at the game. But this isn't a discussion about who has the biggest e penis.

Constantly having to chainsaw enemies for ammo isn't fun. The chainsaw recharge also takes too long. There should be a 10 second cooldown max. Fodder enemies in the arena seem to exist purely for the purpose of trying to chainsaw enemies.

You eat through ammo fast on Horde mode where your inventory is severely limited and dependant on RNG.

There is a mod which allows you to obtain 100% ammo from chainsawing one zombie as opposed to a 50% refill, and reduce the cooldown to 10 second. That is enough for me to substantially increase my enjoyment of the game.

Last edited:

DonJimbo

The new Doom games are Graphically inpressive but very repetitive i played a bkt Doom 2016 some years ago but deleted it from my ps4 pro
Should i try Doom Eternal ?

RPS37

Playing through this on XSX on Raytracing mode.
The Image Quality and the fact that it loads checkpoints in like 2 seconds is so dope.
Got a huge backlog, but it looks like this is what I’m going to be playing for now.

Top Bottom