• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal is the best single player shooter ever made

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Best SP FPS ever

The combat loop is the peak of fps gaming and if you liked 2016 better it's because you like simple less challenging games.

I loved 2016 but Eternal blows it away in every way imaginable if you git gud.

I have it on the top of my list with Half Life 1, Fear, Metroid Prime, TitanFall2 and Quake just behind.

iPKatp6VvEFwBwMeYXSwhR-970-80.jpg

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Okay, the actual level design could be better, I still prefer other shooters when it comes to that.

But the combat? Unmatched.

No other game has left me tired and wanting to take a rest after an enemy encounter just because of how frantic and fast the gameplay is, while at the same time being fun but also requiring you to think what to do next after every step.

The combat is just perfect gameplay loop.

Last edited:

Fermbiz

Gold Member
The Big Lebowski Film GIF by The Good Films

In all seriousness though.... I wasn't a fan of all the extra abilities they added and all the extra jumps and dashing i had to do... Maybe I'm old but I prefer 2016 to be the better DOOM game of the newer series.

That being said, my personal all time fav FPS game is and always be Half-Life 1.

Mozzarella

There's nothing wrong with preferring Doom 2016 as its an equally amazing game.
I do agree that Doom Eternal combat is the pinnacle of the genre but as a whole as a game, overall package, story, immersion, level design, all other mechanics considered it is not the pinnacle, as yet its just another excellent game.
I prefer Doom 2016 music, level design, atmosphere and general feel and story to Eternal, at the same time, i do prefer the combat and the bosses of Eternal more, as it was hard and you had to use all your arsenal to its full potential to finish the game on hard which made me enjoy it a lot.
Constantly running away to gather ammo or to generate health by glory kill on smaller mobs annoyed me sometimes but other than that the combat is fluid and excellent.

I have both as 4/5 for different reasons. I do put more preference on atmosphere, level design and other gameplay mechanics, so for the FPS genre, i gave Prey, Half Life 2 and OG Doom and Bioshock a higher score. Still the Doom reboot is amazing and with some changes to both 2016 or Eternal i can see myself giving them my highest scores.

Kev Kev

I finally brought myself to finish it, but I found it to be too fast, overwhelming and frustrating. I honestly can’t remember much from it so add forgettable to that. 2016 was much better.

But after several attempts I did finish it and unlocked a bunch of stuff. It was fun enough after I figured it out, but there was too much going on and I think it got too far away from the Doom formula.

radewagon

LOL, no. I say this as a huge fan of the game, but..... there is a lot wrong with it. First off, that stupid blood punch mechanic. Does it exist solely so that I can accidentally use it all the time? My biggest issue with Eternal is the sort of resource management mini game it's always got running in the background. I'm okay with melee killing fodder for extra health in order to force the player to be on the offensive. It was great in the first game. But, using the same idea in order to also refill ammo and also refill armor just makes it such a drag. Like, hey, here's a flashing bad guy, do I want to rip and tear! RIP AND F****n' TEAR!.. . .. Oh snap, but I'm low on armor.... maybe I should burn him first. Then I'll RIP AND TEAR.... oh wait, do I want to rip and chainsaw or rip and tear cause I'm a little low on ammo as well. I know, I'll go for the healt.... never mind. Used the stupid blood punch.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

It is one of the worst. The convoluted upgrade/skill system and the unnecessary hub totally killed the pacing. I also hate how they handled the story. I loved how the previous Doom had amazing plot action and even mocked other games for unnecessary plot threads, and yet Doom Eternal does just that.
-

LOL, no. I say this as a huge fan of the game, but..... there is a lot wrong with it. First off, that stupid blood punch mechanic. Does it exist solely so that I can accidentally use it all the time? My biggest issue with Eternal is the sort of resource management mini game it's always got running in the background. I'm okay with melee killing fodder for extra health in order to force the player to be on the offensive. It was great in the first game. But, using the same idea in order to also refill ammo and also refill armor just makes it such a drag. Like, hey, here's a flashing bad guy, do I want to rip and tear! RIP AND F****n' TEAR!.. . .. Oh snap, but I'm low on armor.... maybe I should burn him first. Then I'll RIP AND TEAR.... oh wait, do I want to rip and chainsaw or rip and tear cause I'm a little low on ammo as well. I know, I'll go for the healt.... never mind. Used the stupid blood punch.
The whole point is the resource management on top of the gunplay

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The game is actually fantastic, most of the haters in here either haven't played it, played it for only 15 minutes, or are bad at games, or have the patience of a 5yo.
And the whole arguement that chainsawing bad guys for ammo is somehow 10 times worse than picking up look boxes is beyond silly. It's the exact same thing.

Last edited:

tommycronin

I'd have to agree. After going back and playing both dlcs I had to go through zenith like reflexes to overcome it on whatever difficulty I had it set to. Any game where I have to tap into the matrix is good with me.

sigmaZ

Saying it's one of the worst is hyperbolic garbage. It's a bad opinion.
The worst would be hyperbolic. Out of the dozen of FPS I've played. it IS one of the worst in my opinion. Perhaps you just have your identity tied up too much to the game to be able accept a different opinion than your own. Instead of arguing, I'm curious, do you not find anything legitimately wrong with the game yourself?

lefty1117

Gold Member
I think Doom 2016 has a better vibe overall but I agree Doom Eternal is probably the better shooter in terms of the mechanics and gameplay. My son who is all up on this shit thinks Eternal is the best game ever.

I get that some people don't want platforming in their FPS, but the platforming that is there is sublime. The movement in Eternal is some of the best ever in a FPS. That shit is not easy to do well.

I'd think the puzzle element to the ammo/fuel/health would be much more divisive than the movement. The platforming was simple.

Last edited:
No, i like 2016 more because for me the music is better, lvl design is better, pace, and it's more fun. Challenge ? Just up the difficult.

Not personal OP, but don't dictate what is better or not for a person, speak for yourself.

Ah, and please don't underestimate the ability and skills of a player based on your opinion.

Last edited:
The Big Lebowski Film GIF by The Good Films

In all seriousness though.... I wasn't a fan of all the extra abilities they added and all the extra jumps and dashing i had to do... Maybe I'm old but I prefer 2016 to be the better DOOM game of the newer series.

That being said, my personal all time fav FPS game is and always be Half-Life 1.
Is Half-Life even the same genre? 🤔 I mean, with all the story, varied locations and quest-like missions.

ZehDon

DOOM 2016 is a better game, plain and simple. Crank up the difficulty and enjoy one of the greatest soundtracks ever made as you rip and tear. It owns what it is and delivers it like never before.

DOOM Eternal is more mechanically complex, but the resulting game is messier, with its ideas often clashing in its attempt to simply be "more". The opening hour or two of the game is simply terrible game design, and needed to be completely re-done. The added focus on platforming is... a choice, and while adding Jumping Flash-esque complexity, it doesn't really improve the gameplay so much as it just adds more "stuff". It's not a bad game, but it's simply not as polished or focused as its predecessor.

It feels like Eternal was the messy original, and 2016 was the improved sequel where they got rid of the noise and made a tighter game.

Top Bottom