• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal is the best single player shooter ever made

darrylgorn

I couldn't enjoy the authoritative aspect of Doom Eternal. This constant bouncing off of an enclosed arena where the main enemies required a specific weapon to kill them and you had to farm ammo from the lesser enemies because they were constantly in low supply.

steve-harvey-do-not-want.gif

Last edited:
I can't agree.

Combat is better yes, but I actually feel music, environment, pacing is better on Doom 2016. I also think Eternal has more going on at 60 fps, but the graphics feel worse to me, they're stretching the same budget so individual assets were downgraded or use more trickery than before (this on PS4).

Not to say the game was perfect with the clear "arena" system being so blatant and all, but it felt really good, the challenges too whereas on Eternal it just lacks that pull. Eternal feels like a chore, and the plataforming, albeit more in the lines of how I remember original Doom to be, just not fun. Some elements don't feel like doom and instead like quake, but I digress as if I enjoyed them I'd be all over the moon.

It's still a very good game, but I felt it was a step down. This said, I still have to finish it, but that says a lot about the game, at least for me. With Doom 2016 I just couldn't put it down.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I can't agree.

Combat is better yes, but I actually feel music, environment, pacing is better on Doom 2016. I also think Eternal has more going on at 60 fps, but the graphics feel worse to me, they're stretching the same budget so individual assets were downgraded or use more trickery than before (this on PS4).

Not to say the game was perfect with the clear "arena" system being so blatant and all, but it felt really good, the challenges too whereas on Eternal it just lacks that pull. Eternal feels like a chore, and the plataforming, albeit more in the lines of how I remember original Doom to be, just not fun. Some elements don't feel like doom and instead like quake, but I digress as if I enjoyed them I'd be all over the moon.

It's still a very good game, but I felt it was a step down. This said, I still have to finish it, but that says a lot about the game, at least for me. With Doom 2016 I just couldn't put it down.
Eternal has better cyberpunk style art with more color.

The game also gives your much better freedom of control over your character. 2016 is like playing Metroid with all of your powers stripped.

Eternal has that big dick energy for good gamers.

DE_BATTLEMODE_City_HERO_1920x870.png

Wonko_C

This is the only FPS that actually forced me to play with Kb/M to be able to actually finish it, because I was getting slaughtered left and right when I played with a controller... And that was on the default difficulty. (I suck at FPSes)

Apocryphon

Titanfall 2 single player is a must play. The couldn't believe how good it was. I did ask recommend it to everyone and have had zero complaints.
Why?

I don't understand why people adore Titanfall 2's campaign. The enemy AI is non existent, the characters are dogshit aside from BT, the plot is completely forgettable, and the titan sections are fucking boring. It has excellent weapons, some interesting one-off mechanics, and a couple of cool levels, but it's nowhere near as good as some of the games we're discussing.

Titanfall 2's multiplayer is fantastic though. Hugely underrated.

SkylineRKR

Titanfall 2 SP was alright but in the end just another short and linear Call of Duty structured campaign. Just with some very fun gameplay. But its a campaign I beat once over a weekend and that was it. I wouldn't put in the same league as Doom, Half Life or anything like it, its not remotely close for me. I'd feel ripped off if I bought TF2 at launch for the campaign, but I was into its MP for a good while.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Why?

I don't understand why people adore Titanfall 2's campaign. The enemy AI is non existent, the characters are dogshit aside from BT, the plot is completely forgettable, and the titan sections are fucking boring. It has excellent weapons, some interesting one-off mechanics, and a couple of cool levels, but it's nowhere near as good as some of the games we're discussing.

In a world were 90% of modern FPS games are COD or Battlefield, having something like Titanfall 2 was a much needed breath of fresh air.

Specially when it came out, since I think that back then we didn't have all the modern boomer-shooters we have today.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Why?

I don't get titanfall 2 hype on the internet... Have these people not played other single player fps games?
HL2, fear or even chronicles of riddick stomp on titanfall 2.
It's closer to singularity which is great because I love singularity but there is nothing special about titanfall 2.

Apocryphon

In a world were 90% of modern FPS games are COD or Battlefield, having something like Titanfall 2 was a much needed breath of fresh air.

Specially when it came out, since I think that back then we didn't have all the modern boomer-shooters we have today.
Sure, and it's a good game that I have finished a couple of times over, but I can't stack it up against something like Half Life. Somebody said that Singularity is a better game, and I don't think I'd go that far, but I do think there are plenty of games that are better than TF2.

It is ridiculously good online though. It's a shame that it didn't take off and they got lumped making Apex.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Sure, and it's a good game that I have finished a couple of times over, but I can't stack it up against something like Half Life. Somebody said that Singularity is a better game, and I don't think I'd go that far, but I do think there are plenty of games that are better than TF2.

It is ridiculously good online though. It's a shame that it didn't take off and they got lumped making Apex.
Yeah I agree, game was good and very fun, but not that great to put it next to games like Half Life of FEAR.

Now on the other hand, if we talk about Perfect Dark... :messenger_winking_tongue:

Kataploom

Gold Member
This is the only FPS that actually forced me to play with Kb/M to be able to actually finish it, because I was getting slaughtered left and right when I played with a controller... And that was on the default difficulty. (I suck at FPSes)
Lol, did the same... It's also a very different game that way, it demands so much millisecond weapon tactics whenever I had to use the sniper it was basically unplayable on controller, having to use the sniper to destroy enemy weapons twice within 1-2 seconds without missing and move on before the horde takes me is a very recurrent action I couldn't achieve in controller, which isn't a bad thing imo, rip controller only players

Last edited:

Balboa

I just finished replaying DOOM 2016, DOOM Eternal, and the Ancient Gods DLC and while 2016 is a fun game Eternal and Ancient Gods are just absolute peak FPS gameplay and 10/10 games all round.

Also played them all on controller and don't see the issue there, the controls are very intuitive.

Cryio

I've yet to play Doom Eternal. Played through 2016 and liked it a lot.

But if someone would ask me for a list of best shooters ever made?

Black Mesa, Half-Life 2, FEAR 1, Crysis 1, Metro 2033 Redux, STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl, Bioshock 1, Far Cry 2 would be the top of my list.

Doom 2016 was one of my favorite surprises of recent memory as far as gaming is concerned. Someone had gifted me a copy for my birthday that year, I was not excited about it all. Once I finally started it, I couldn't stop playing. I bought it for the Switch as well when then I ended up buying the 4 LP limited edition soundtrack from Laced Records a few years later for my birthday.

When Eternal was announced I was all in. Super excited about more of what we had in 2016. What we got was so much more, holy shit.

The soundtrack was not as good, I'll get that out of the way. Didn't care for the time jump forward between the two games either. I would have preferred some resolution of what happened at the end of 2016. I have yet to play the Ancient Gods so I can't speak to anything on that yet. I was disappointed in the lack of MP functionality and the cancelation of the game invasion mechanic they had planned.

With the negative out of the way....I would like to say that at first, I was not digging the new mechanics they had put in place for the combat. I enjoyed the new maneuverability that they added, I was fine with the platforming and the jumping mechanics as well because it all worked so well. I never felt like I failed a jump because the systems weren't working correctly. Once I got my head around the new combat mechanics, combat became way more fun. While I'm not a huge fan of the dance analogy, if we were spectating someone doing all of the shit that the Slayer does in combat, it would look like some crazy Equilibrium gunkata shit with more weapons involved.

By the end of Eternal I felt satisfied in what they had brought to the table. I felt like I improved over the course of the game and that they had maintained the feel from 2016 that the Slayer is this force of nature and they amplified the shit out of it for Eternal. I enjoyed the game immensely and as others have said it's hard to go back to 2016 once one has "mastered" the mechanics that Eternal introduced.

I can totally understand why people don't like it at all or compared to 2016 but to each their own.

Hopefully we get a 3rd game from Hugo Martin and that team at id.

TintoConCasera

Hopefully I'm not the only one who gets extremely bothered by the lack of muzzleflashes in Quake 2.

Seems like the weirdest omission one could possibily make when developing an FPS.

Apocryphon

Hopefully I'm not the only one who gets extremely bothered by the lack of muzzleflashes in Quake 2.

Seems like the weirdest omission one could possibily make when developing an FPS.
Even in RTX. It's an odd omission yes.

I don't have as much time for Q2 as I do the first game, but it has a brilliant soundtrack.

I actually prefer Saschas work to Mick Gordon's...😶

Strategize

While the combat is better, the game has absoutely zero attempt at immersion, of course its intentional, but the game absoultely ODs on how "gamey cool" it's trying to be and as a result comes off a bit tryhard and forced compared to 2016, hell just compare the UIs and Eternal feels like a cartoon.

It's just loud to the point of monotony after a certain point, I thought maybe I was just in a bad mood while playing it at first, so when I came online and saw some others echo simliar feelings I was relieved I wasn't insane.

Also sidenote, DOOM's fanbase just kinda pisses me off, so smug and elitest. It's like Souls fans except I like Souls alot more than this so it doesn't tick me off as much.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
The chainsaw in Eternal replenishes on a 20 second cooldown allowing you to use it on one or the enemies that only take 1 fuel canister. If you want ro use it to kill higher-tier demons, you will need to find and use more fuel. Some take 1, some take 3.

In Eternal it's a required part of the gameplay. In 2016 it doesn't replenish and requires fuel for every kill, with enemies requiring between 1 and 5 fuel canisters depending on their tier. If you have 5 you can kill barons of hell which you can't kill with the chainsaw in Eternal. I rarely used the chainsaw in 2016 though as their are runes that grant ammo from regular kills. Eternal has Sentinel Crystal's that let you increase your ammo capacity, but the chainsaw is a core machanic for generating ammo.

Neither system is perfect, but the requirement to play a specific way in Eternal to generate ammo and armour is frustrating. I would rather there was just ammo littering the maps like in the previous games, but it is what it is.
The chainsaw should ideally refill all your ammo but instead only fills a portion.

I am trying the Horde mode and it's incredibly frustrating to constantly fight for ammo.

Mess

Both DOOM 2016 and Eternal were designed to be playable with controllers. You don't get a decent challenging FPS that way. 2016 didn't try and was a nice throwback to the dumb fun of yore, Eternal tried and ended up being boring and tedious instead 🤷‍♂️

raduque

You sound like you were just bad at the game.

How and why would you describe one of the most fun and fast-paced games as a "chore" is beyond me.
You could probably call me bad at the game, yes.

But I consider it a chore because it is just too much for my old brain to deal with. Managing, what, 6 cooldowns, a rock/paper/scissors weapon system, split second shot timing and perfect placement (hell, I can barely keep the mouse straight when moving in a line, much less holding it steady for a pixel-perfect shot), on top of flying around the level like a fruit bat on crack.

I got to the end but haven't defeated the last boss yet.

Doom Eternal is THE game for determining whether you're dealing with a complete mental defective or a real human being. If any given person states a love for Eternal they are probably NPC-ish, subhuman and— as is commonly misunderstood of fish— they aren't cognizant enough to realise you're gutting them

It's the epitome of bad modern game design. Less interested in the mechanics of play than with weird abstract systems. As the previous poster says, it had cooldowns and a rock/paper/scissors system that makes the game less about the action of playing and more about obeying these arbitrary rules.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
this is really stupid and immature
5HO.gif

Doom Eternal is THE game for determining whether you're dealing with a complete mental defective or a real human being. If any given person states a love for Eternal they are probably NPC-ish, subhuman and— as is commonly misunderstood of fish— they aren't cognizant enough to realise you're gutting them

It's the epitome of bad modern game design. Less interested in the mechanics of play than with weird abstract systems. As the previous poster says, it had cooldowns and a rock/paper/scissors system that makes the game less about the action of playing and more about obeying these arbitrary rules.
Not if you know how to play.

There's always a way to win if you make the right moves.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

For you to say Eternal is the worst fps you've ever played is so ridiculous. You obviously have no idea about what a successful fps should feel like. Whether you like Eternal or not, that is your opinion and that's fine but to call it the worst? I can't even begin to explain how much Eternal has demonstrated how far fps games have evolved. I've been gaming for over 30 years and it's one of the most fluid arena fps you can get, the movement and design is top tier. C'mon man, if you going to have an opinion just say you don't like it or why you don't like it, saying it's the worst is straight up trolling.
I've into length about why I don't like it. And again, I'll reiterate, I said, "ONE of the worst." The worst I wouldn't even know because its lost somewhere in the countless FPS I've played over the years. Actually for some common ground, I don't necessarily disagree with the combat side. You are right it is fluid and there's no issue with the movement or controls. For me, it's mainly one of design philosophy. My biggest gripes are how long encounters take, the needless amounts of extra features and tutorials, the way they handled the story segments, and having a huge-ass hub that you're required to run away. Many of these things are antithetical to the game that came before it, which I highly enjoyed. So, reasonably I went into the game expecting a game that improved on that formula, and I was treated to a much more bloated game that failed to hold my interest. Thus, I did not like it.

kikkis

I think my Doom eternal level got bugged. I was able to progress, but then next time after death on same spot I wasn't. Haven't played it in months but haven't had the heart to delete it either.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Did the same, and for that reason haven't touched it again because I'm too tired after work to keep sitting on the same chair and desk just to play a game

Edit: Is funny I responded to the same post twice in the same page lmao, was reading last page again thinking I didn't lol

Last edited:
I've into length about why I don't like it. And again, I'll reiterate, I said, "ONE of the worst." The worst I wouldn't even know because its lost somewhere in the countless FPS I've played over the years. Actually for some common ground, I don't necessarily disagree with the combat side. You are right it is fluid and there's no issue with the movement or controls. For me, it's mainly one of design philosophy.
So all the important things about the FPS are top tier?

My biggest gripes are how long encounters take, the needless amounts of extra features and tutorials,
Tutorials barely took a couple of seconds, at most, and were easily ignorable on repeat playthroughs.

the way they handled the story segments,
They were very limited and you could skip them if you didn’t want to deal with any narrative in a DOOM game. Skipping took less than a second to do.

and having a huge-ass hub that you're required to run away.
Aside from one tutorial segment early on, almost every single thing in the hub you can ignore and just go through the missions.

Many of these things are antithetical to the game that came before it, which I highly enjoyed. So, reasonably I went into the game expecting a game that improved on that formula, and I was treated to a much more bloated game that failed to hold my interest. Thus, I did not like it.
It did improve on 2016, in every concievable way. Better narrative, better level design, better combat, better animations, better fights, better bosses, better music (Shame about the standalone OST though). All the “negatives” folks tend to have this game are nitpicks that they blow waaaaaay out of proportion.

treemk

Banned

Most creative way of saying a game was too hard, bravo

No one who dislikes Doom Eternal is good at the game

OZ9000

Banned
Most creative way of saying a game was too hard, bravo

No one who dislikes Doom Eternal is good at the game
I've played the shit out of doom eternal and I have a love and hate relationship with the game.

The final level of horde mode is literally straight up bullshit.

The changes they made in Ancient Gods 2 are beyond awful.

Yes let's make a demon that will take your abilities away

Let's also introduce blue spirits. And tons of buff totems.

Last edited:

treemk

Banned
I've played the shit out of doom eternal and I have a love and hate relationship with the game.

The final level of horde mode is literally straight up bullshit.

The changes they made in Ancient Gods 2 are beyond awful.

Yes let's make a demon that will take your abilities away

Let's also introduce blue spirits. And tons of buff totems.
Well it's worth noting that horde mode, the DLC, and master levels were al designed to lean towards players that could not be killed by anything in the base game. I like all of the above mostly because of how it changes the game and I've cleared the base game dozens of times.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I just finished replaying DOOM 2016, DOOM Eternal, and the Ancient Gods DLC and while 2016 is a fun game Eternal and Ancient Gods are just absolute peak FPS gameplay and 10/10 games all round.

Also played them all on controller and don't see the issue there, the controls are very intuitive.
I don't think there's very many skilled gamers who have played through Eternal and Ancient Gods walking away with the opinion that 2016 is better or even very close.

That's mostly the crowd who never git good and rage quit on Eternal early on.

Top Bottom