• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal Next Gen upgrade performance targets revealed

Xbox Series X
  • Performance Mode: 1800p – 120 FPS
  • Balanced Mode: 2160p – 60 FPS
  • Ray Tracing Mode: 1800p – 60 FPS
Xbox Series S
  • Performance Mode: 1080p – 120 FPS
  • Balanced Mode: 1440p – 60 FPS
  • Ray Tracing Mode: Not Available
PlayStation 5
  • Performance Mode: 1584p – 120 FPS
  • Balanced Mode: 2160p – 60 FPS
  • Ray Tracing Mode: 1800p – 60 FPS
PC
  • Ray Tracing Mode: Availability and performance depends on a user’s PC hardware.
All modes feature dynamic resolution scaling. Balanced & Performance Modes not available with Ray Tracing. Performance Mode requires a 120hz compatible display. Balanced Mode requires a 4K compatible display.

Last edited:
I had no idea there was even a 1584p option

Wonder how confused I can make a Best Buy sales associate by asking if any TVs support it

EDIT: I suppose I could have done a better job insinuating that I know any 16:9 resolution can be upscaled, so please don’t quote me trying to explain the science. My comment was more aimed at poking fun of the idea of a truly strange number the game has decided to hit.

Last edited:
Star Wars You A Genius GIF by namslam

Anchovie123

I had no idea there was even a 1584p option

Wonder how confused I can make a Best Buy sales associate by asking if any TVs support it
Internal res and output res are different. Internal res can be anything and the game will upscale/downscale it to fit the output resolution.

DOOM Eternal is one of the heaviest hitters of memory bandwidth than compute when targeting 100+fps... More so than any other games.

Will be interesting to see what settings they use on consoles for perf and RT.
More fps always needs more memory bandwidth its always like that the more frames the more gb youll have to send and process each frame its why you cant have higher detail graphics with more frames

Md Ray

More fps always needs more memory bandwidth its always like that the more frames the more gb youll have to send and process each frame its why you cant have higher detail graphics with more frames
Yes, but that's not the case with every game. Most games tend to be more compute-intensive than bandwidth, even at 4K.

DOOM Eternal is other way around. Favours bandwidth a lot more than compute even at lower resolutions. There's data to back this up but I'm on mobile atm.

Last edited:
Hardware limitation. Likely a combination of memory bandwidth + RAM. I cannot ignore how hard MS pushed “RT!! Same experience as X!” hype… yet we now have several games omitting RT on the S entirely.
Please point out any statement from MS that all XSS games would have raytracing. The game still has a 120 fps mode and that is the same experience as the XSX. Graphics were ALWAYS something that was going to be sacrificed on the XSS. Phil straight up said that between graphics and framerate people preferred framerate.

Last edited:
Please point out any statement from MS that all XSS games would raytracing. The game still has a 120 fps mode and that is the same experience as the XSX. Graphics were ALWAYS something that was going to be sacrificed on the XSS. Phil straight up said that between graphics and framerate people preferred framerate.

Yeah, but XSS was advertised that difference will be only in resolution in games compared to XSX. Btw. so, remind you what ID Software dev said about XSS.

Banned
Yeah, but XSS was advertised that difference will be only in resolution in games compared to XSX. Btw. so, remind you what ID Software dev said about XSS.

well it is weird that it doesn't have an RT mode. could be that it will get one down the line. at dynamic 1080p it surly should be possible

Md Ray

why not just target 120hz with dynamic 4k.... what's the point of limiting max resolution.
Probably RAM limitation. Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised even if SX & PS5 were to run into mem limitation. Rendering at 2160p doesn't come cheap and has a large impact on GPU mem as well.

Either this or...

The dynamic res scaler fails to keep up with the GPU load therefore running the game mostly under 60fps. I've tried this on the PC version, by shooting for 5K, 8K on 3070 hoping for dynamic res to take care of the rendering load and keep the framerate at 60fps... But nope, framerate tanks hard.

Last edited:
Prove it. Prove that MS said the ONLY difference would be resolution and all other effects including raytracing would there on all games. Should not be too hard because people like yourself keep pushing that narrative. Raytracing does not change the experience like the FRAMERATE does. Guess what? It has a 120 fps mode just like the XSX. Also people kept saying the XSS was holding back the XSX and the entire current generation. Why is it that the XSX does raytracing just fine even if the XSS drops it? Maybe all that negative talk is just nonsense. XSS will always have compromises with its graphics; it's a $300 device. The fact that it does raytracing on any titles is amazing.

Md Ray

Please point out any statement from MS that all XSS games would have raytracing. The game still has a 120 fps mode and that is the same experience as the XSX. Graphics were ALWAYS something that was going to be sacrificed on the XSS. Phil straight up said that between graphics and framerate people preferred framerate.
You don't wanna go down this road, dude...
hHPLKvn.jpg

Lu5yjXZ.jpg

"Series X is designed to deliver a next generation experience"

which also includes ray tracing, arguably one of the biggest part of next-gen experience...

2SqTPdQ.jpg

5ChGvWJ.jpg

Here comes the lie... "series s is designed to deliver the same great next-gen experience"

If it's designed to deliver the "same great next-gen experience" as X at lower res, then where's ray tracing on the S when the X has it?

Last edited:
Prove it. Prove that MS said the ONLY difference would be resolution and all other effects including raytracing would there on all games. Should not be too hard because people like yourself keep pushing that narrative. Raytracing does not change the experience like the FRAMERATE does. Guess what? It has a 120 fps mode just like the XSX. Also people kept saying the XSS was holding back the XSX and the entire current generation. Why is it that the XSX does raytracing just fine even if the XSS drops it? Maybe all that negative talk is just nonsense. XSS will always have compromises with its graphics; it's a $300 device. The fact that it does raytracing on any titles is amazing.

You.asked.for.it.

KfTHA5L.png

Xbox Series S delivers four times the processing power of an Xbox One console and supports experiences up to 120fps,” says Liz Hamren, head of platform engineering and hardware at Xbox. “The primary difference between Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S is in resolution. Through talking to our customers, we found that many of our fans prioritize framerate over resolution, so we wanted to build a console that didn’t require a 4K TV.”

Does the X1X have a 120 fps mode? You seem to be implying that the game is better on that platform. The only thing funny is that comparison.

Funny thing is you also ignoring balanced mode on XSS.

hHPLKvn.jpg

Lu5yjXZ.jpg

which also includes ray tracing, arguably one of the biggest part of next-gen experience...

2SqTPdQ.jpg

Here comes the lie... "series s is designed to deliver the same great next-gen experience"

If it's designed to deliver the "same great next-gen experience" then where's ray tracing?
Bring it on. Next gen experience is built around running games at HIGHER Framerates. It's the signature difference between the generations. You especially see it in the cross generational titles. If both the XSS and XSX have 120 fps modes then the XSS is bringing next gen experience. The only thing you could potentially ding MS for is saying 1440p instead of 'up to' 1440p. You did NOT prove that MS said that all games on the XSS would have raytracing which is the real lie.
You.asked.for.it.

KfTHA5L.png

You are making the same wrong point as your buddy. On top of that why are you comparing the XSS to the X1X and not the X1? You do realize that the XSS is the upgrade to the X1 NOT the X1X don't you? If someone had the X1X last generation why would they grab an XSS over the XSX if their goal was 4k gaming? There is an update to the X1X though. It's called the XSX. The only thing you are ignoring that a $300 console is running games at higher frames than the best box last gen and is stomping a mudhole is the worst box last gen.

Both of you guys are trying to create a standard that never existed to make some point no one was making. I'll give you both chance to show an actual MS statement where they said anything remotely close to all XSS games will run with raytracing and graphics just like the XSX. If you are playing a XSS on a 1080p monitor at 120fps you aren't worried that the game is at a lower resolution or missing the extra graphical punch. It's the low end box. I have a feeling both of your 'concern' isn't sincere.

Yes, but that's not the case with every game. Most games tend to be more compute-intensive than bandwidth, even at 4K.

DOOM Eternal is other way around. Favours bandwidth a lot more than compute even at lower resolutions. There's data to back this up but I'm on mobile atm.
Doesnt matter its just a physical law. Games are always about memory, the faster your frames the more the data you need to process its why they lower details at high frame rate modes compute is also data everythings data tectures polygons physics everything.

hHPLKvn.jpg

Lu5yjXZ.jpg

2SqTPdQ.jpg

5ChGvWJ.jpg

If it's designed to deliver the "same great next-gen experience" as X at lower res, then where's ray tracing on the S when the X has it?

You.asked.for.it.

KfTHA5L.png

They should have used "similar experience" instead of "same experience" IMO.

Audiophile

Gold Member
XSS is either gonna be a great big ball and chain round the ankles of this gen; or down the line some titles will be taking a massive res/perf hit. Would be nice for devs across the board to have the option to go all-RT on their work flow for at least 1 or 2 elements of a given game's lighting (GI, Emissives, Shadows, AO, Reflections etc.), rather than having to cook everything up. But, XSS looks like it's gonna put the kibosh on that unless they're willing to par its versions back considerably.

dcmk7

Banned
Bring it on. Next gen experience is built around running games at HIGHER Framerates. It's the signature difference between the generations. You especially see it in the cross generational titles. If both the XSS and XSX have 120 fps modes then the XSS is bringing next gen experience. The only thing you could potentially ding MS for is saying 1440p instead of 'up to' 1440p. You did NOT prove that MS said that all games on the XSS would have raytracing which is the real lie.

You are making the same wrong point as your buddy. On top of that why are you comparing the XSS to the X1X and not the X1? You do realize that the XSS is the upgrade to the X1 NOT the X1X don't you? If someone had the X1X last generation why would they grab an XSS over the XSX if their goal was 4k gaming? There is an update to the X1X though. It's called the XSX. The only thing you are ignoring that a $300 console is running games at higher frames than the best box last gen and is stomping a mudhole is the worst box last gen.

Both of you guys are trying to create a standard that never existed to make some point no one was making. I'll give you both chance to show an actual MS statement where they said anything remotely close to all XSS games will run with raytracing and graphics just like the XSX. If you are playing a XSS on a 1080p monitor at 120fps you aren't worried that the game is at a lower resolution or missing the extra graphical punch. It's the low end box. I have a feeling both of your 'concern' isn't sincere.
You don't play the same game.

One version is a compromised next gen title. The other is an actual next gen title.

The difference does matter.

Jason Ronald LITERALLY said that difference will be only in resolution. Cut the crap and stop spinning.

Rudius

Nice to see the PS5 getting the upgrade as well. Some here said it wouldn't. I'll definitely play it now.

Banjo64

cumsessed
So, XSS doesn't have RT. You know what ID Software dev ( now Xbox 1st party dev ) said about XSS...yeah.

Funny thing is :

Xbox One X (1800p/60) is better than the Series S version (1440p/60)
Resolution isn’t everything lmao, the game will run at higher graphical settings on the Series S

This free update optimizes DOOM Eternal for next-gen machines, offering improved visuals, increased performance and support for ray-tracing, or 4K resolution at 60 frames per second, or an optional 120 FPS mode.

So yeah, the One X version is better if you want to play the last gen version of the game at a higher resolution, the Series S is better by far if you want to play the next gen version of the game at 120fps.

Top Bottom