• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal Next Gen upgrade performance targets revealed

Ovech-King

Gold Member
I did the restore licenses thing then went back on the store and searched for doom Eternal and now the standard ps5 version was free . Timing or solution not sure but check it out

This game is doing my head in.... Literally! Giving me a really bad headache, I'm usually fine with FPS but this one is making me nauseous.

HAL-01

Huh, I thought RT would be reflections only, but it’s lighting as well. Looking forward to the DF analysis to see what this entails

CuodCN4.jpg

Banned
Huh, I thought RT would be reflections only, but it’s lighting as well. Looking forward to the DF analysis to see what this entails

CuodCN4.jpg

lighting doesn't seem too different... my guess is this only affects some dynamic shadows as the game is really tailored to their old lighting system.

the analysis videos will be interesting for sure. anf I hope they will talk about the horrible texture filtering in RT mode...

on the website they now have more detailed descriptions, the Xbox versions uses VRS, while the PS5 doesn't. apparently due to the PS5 not having hardware support for tier 2 VRS.

this could mean the base image resolution could be way higher on SX but with some areas being shaded at lower precision.
this could also be the reason why the PS5 runs 120fps mode at a lower max resolution bound.
I wonder how effectively it will be used. I think this is the first tier 2 implementation in an idTech game... Wolfenstein Youngblood had Tier 1 VRS if I remember correctly

Last edited:

Arioco

This is the first video of the RT Mode running on Series X and it stutters quite a lot, espeacilly in heavy combats secuencies and during/after a Glory Kill. Some times it even stutters during normal exploration when nothing seems to be happening on screen. I wonder what causes the frame rate dips and why the DRS is not doing it's job.

I haven't seem the same area running on PS5 but I guess I'll be about the same. I'd swear this game ran smoother on last-gen machines, which I find quite disappointing to be honest.

Hope that at least the 4K@60fps mode runs at 60 fps.

Edit-----

I was talking about the battle around minute 4:30 but now that I've seen the whole video things seem to improve a lot later on. Maybe that area in particular is more demanding for some reason.

Last edited:

elliot5

One thing that appears nice is there's crossbuy in this game. I bought the complete package (Eternal and the season pass) on Steam.

Signed in to xCloud with my Bethesda.Net and I was able to launch the DLC from xCloud without buying it on Xbox.

Obviously won't be playing it on cloud, but I wanted to check if RT mode was available on cloud (it wasn't when I checked).

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned

This is the first video of the RT Mode running on Series X and it stutters quite a lot, espeacilly in heavy combats secuencies and during/after a Glory Kill. Some times it even stutters during normal exploration when nothing seems to be happening on screen. I wonder what causes the frame rate dips and why the DRS is not doing it's job.

I haven't seem the same area running on PS5 but I guess I'll be about the same. I'd swear this game ran smoother on last-gen machines, which I find quite disappointing to be honest.

Hope that at least the 4K@60fps mode runs at 60 fps.

Edit-----

I was talking about the battle around minute 4:30 but now that I've seen the whole video things seem to improve a lot later on. Maybe that area in particular is more demanding for some reason.

I was playing earlier with RT on the XsX and didn't notice any stuttering

Arioco

I was playing earlier with RT on the XsX and didn't notice any stuttering

Yes, and things don't look bad at all in the first (brief) frame rate analysis I've found.

Maybe it's just that small section that for some reason is more heavy on the CPU or GPU.

Banned
fgiCoxc.jpg

Lol

Kinda underwhelming if I'm honest

c8Fwi9x.jpg

it's real time reflections at 60fps and a pretty good quality with most objects, even transparencies, reflecting... what did you expect out of it? other than reflection resolution you can't make it much better than this

elliot5

E5FnoEgWUAITDcS

id lists XSX|S as having Variable Rate Shading, but PS5 not. Wonder if there will be any noticeable difference in particles or texturing between the two.

Sygma

it's real time reflections at 60fps and a pretty good quality with most objects, even transparencies, reflecting... what did you expect out of it? other than reflection resolution you can't make it much better than this

Have you played Control maxed out with RTX on ?

also look at the position of the gun on the first screenshot vs the reflection of it

Last edited:

Banned
Have you played Control maxed out with RTX on ?

also look at the position of the gun on the first screenshot vs the reflection of it

well, that's sadly something a lot of shooters do, the first person model (aka. the arms, sometimes legs) is not in sync with the third person model.

they maybe should have tried to make them look more in sync now that you can actually see yourself.

but that issue was always there in scenes where you see your own shadow, which obviously also uses the third person model and is not synced with the first person model.

it is kinda retro in a way tho. old Build Engine titles like Duke 3D had real time reflections in some scenes, and that third person model was obviously not in sync with the first person model either, being that they used 2D sprites

but to come back to Control for a moment... the reflections in Doom look superior or at least on par to those in Control from what I played actually.
I didn't notice many things that were omitted from the RT reflections, while in Control, even on the highest settings there are things that won't get reflected.

Last edited:

Sygma

well, that's sadly something a lot of shooters do, the first person model (aka. the arms, sometimes legs) is not in sync with the third person model.

they maybe should have tried to make them look more in sync now that you can actually see yourself.

but that issue was always there in scenes where you see your own shadow, which obviously also uses the third person model and is not synced with the first person model.

it is kinda retro in a way tho. old Build Engine titles like Duke 3D had real time reflections in some scenes, and that third person model was obviously not in sync with the first person model either, being that they used 2D sprites

but to come back to Control for a moment... the reflections in Doom look superior or at least on par to those in Control from what I played actually.
I didn't notice many things that were omitted from the RT reflections, while in Control, even on the highest settings there are things that won't get reflected.

it straight isn't superior in any way

Doom's reflections just don't even look as pristine

Granted, Control is literally the RTX tech demo but still

7F8xSbF.jpg

as far as the lightning goes and whatnot I honestly can't say

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Got it to work on PS5. 120fps on my OLED (with BFI enabled) really has superb motion clarity. The dual sense triggers give the weapons a lot of "umpfhh". Really nice.

manfestival

Got around to trying to ray tracing on this game. Wasn't too impressed. Just prefer the way smoother experience I got while playing without ray tracing on max graphics. Maybe it is that drop from 144 to 70+ fps on my 2080 that isn't worth it but not entirely sure.

Md Ray

Was quite surprised to see my 3070 was able to push 5K w/ ray tracing @ 60fps in this game with only occasional dips into 55fps.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Was quite surprised to see my 3070 was able to push 5K w/ ray tracing @ 60fps in this game with only occasional dips into 55fps.
the game is designed to run at 1080p 60 fps on a 1.3 tflops xbox one. Your 20 tflops 3070 better run it at 5x more resolution. ;p

Dibils2k

been replaying it, cant help but go for 100% on each level still lol the first 2 missions have barely any reflective areas though :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Okay, so I just started playing this game for the first time, and ...

Yeah, compared to DOOM 2016, it's a bit shit really, isn't it?

Seriously, I'm very, very disappointed.
loved 2016 but eternal was fucking shite. 2016 was kick ass fun but they tried too hard with eternal and added a lot of bullshit that made it more tedious and frustrating.

Duchess

loved 2016 but eternal was fucking shite.
Yep!
2016 was kick ass fun but they tried too hard with eternal and added a lot of bullshit that made it more tedious and frustrating.
I played it for 30 more minutes tonight, and turned it off when the game paused with a message telling me that it couldn't connect to Bethesda's servers, meaning online XP, etc. wouldn't be available. I quit to the PS5's launcher and at that point and uninstalled the game. I was low on ammo* anyway, so no big loss.

Tell you what, MS are welcome to Bethesda for turning out that load of shit.

(* - for the 50th time tonight)

Anyone else using the Windows store version courtesy of PC GamePass and is still waiting on the update? Still have no raytracing or DLSS available myself :messenger_neutral:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Anyone else using the Windows store version courtesy of PC GamePass and is still waiting on the update? Still have no raytracing or DLSS available myself :messenger_neutral:
It's in there. Just tried it out on PC GP. Make sure to update your graphics driver to 471.11 and maybe try re-installing Eternal if that doesn't work.

It's in there. Just tried it out on PC GP. Make sure to update your graphics driver to 471.11 and maybe try re-installing Eternal if that doesn't work.

Got it to work by going to the Microsoft store and clicking on Doom Eternal in my apps which seemed to trigger the update download. Why it didn't do it automatically the other day I'll never know :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Justin9mm

loved 2016 but eternal was fucking shite. 2016 was kick ass fun but they tried too hard with eternal and added a lot of bullshit that made it more tedious and frustrating.
Completely disagree, Eternal gives a much needed challenge.. Doom 2016 has no challenge at all. Can finish the game with 1 weapon. Sounds like you haven't played enough of Eternal.. The game is fucking amazeballs.

It's so much better than Doom 2016 in every way and general consensus on the internet agrees.

It's ok you don't like the new playstyle but that doesn't equate to the game being shit.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Yep!

I played it for 30 more minutes tonight, and turned it off when the game paused with a message telling me that it couldn't connect to Bethesda's servers, meaning online XP, etc. wouldn't be available. I quit to the PS5's launcher and at that point and uninstalled the game. I was low on ammo* anyway, so no big loss.

Tell you what, MS are welcome to Bethesda for turning out that load of shit.

(* - for the 50th time tonight)

Honestly this is sad, you had the patience of a 8yr old playing fortnite and essentially rage quit? No I think I take that back, even my 8yo wouldn't quit that easily. I guess whatever it takes to make you feel better about your ps5 purchase and the acquisition of Bethesda. This takes it to a new level though. Maybe if you learned how to actually play the game and get ammo......

Last edited:

Duchess

Honestly this is sad, you had the patience of a 8yr old playing fortnite and essentially rage quit? No I think I take that back, even my 8yo wouldn't quit that easily. I guess whatever it takes to make you feel better about your ps5 purchase and the acquisition of Bethesda. This takes it to a new level though. Maybe if you learned how to actually play the game and get ammo......
I don't normally respond to insults like this, but dude, what the actual fuck?! So, let me get this straight:

You think being forced by create a Bethesda account to play a single player, offline game is acceptable? (and no, I won't disconnect my PS5 from the internet each time I want to play - you can fuck right off with that "workaround")

You think that while playing the game it's okay for the game to interrupt you to say it couldn't connect to the online servers and so all sorts of rewards that I couldn't give two shits about are now not available?

You think it's okay for the game to lock up when moving from one level to the next because it couldn't talk to Bethesda's servers?

My complaints about the changes to gameplay have been echoed by many, many people, including those here on NeoGAF. I won't list them all here, you can look for yourself. Google is your friend.

You think that constraining the player's ammo to the point where they constantly need to use the auto-refilling chainsaw on respawning zombie minions to get more is good design?!! It breaks the flow of combat and makes the whole experience exceptionally tedious.

Yes, I rage quit the game. But not because I was shit at it. I rage quit the game because the game itself is shit.

You have to at least admit that it doesn't hold a candle to the 2016 reboot - one of the best shooters of the previous generation, and one of my favourites of all time. Seriously, mate, it's not even close.

onesvenus

You have to at least admit that it doesn't hold a candle to the 2016 reboot
It's true, everybody on the internet agrees with you. That's why Doom 2016 has an opencritic rating of 86/92% and Doom Eternal 89/97%.
But don't stop there, let's look at metacritic. Doom 2016 on PS4 has a 85 metascore with a 8.4 user review rating. Doom Eternal on PS4 has a 87 metascore with a 8.9 user rating.

Personally, I loved every inch of Eternal and their expansions and had no problems connecting to Bethesda servers

My only complaint with DOOM Eternal is the stupid platforming and puzzles, DOOM 2016 had less of that and it didn't feel like work on some parts IMHO

I get it, Eternal has balls to the wall action and it'll get somewhat repetitive if it was only that but my goodness the puzzles and timed jumping in this game sucks!

Other than that, it's challenging and awesome

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I don't normally respond to insults like this, but dude, what the actual fuck?! So, let me get this straight:

You think being forced by create a Bethesda account to play a single player, offline game is acceptable? (and no, I won't disconnect my PS5 from the internet each time I want to play - you can fuck right off with that "workaround")

You think that while playing the game it's okay for the game to interrupt you to say it couldn't connect to the online servers and so all sorts of rewards that I couldn't give two shits about are now not available?

You think it's okay for the game to lock up when moving from one level to the next because it couldn't talk to Bethesda's servers?

My complaints about the changes to gameplay have been echoed by many, many people, including those here on NeoGAF. I won't list them all here, you can look for yourself. Google is your friend.

You think that constraining the player's ammo to the point where they constantly need to use the auto-refilling chainsaw on respawning zombie minions to get more is good design?!! It breaks the flow of combat and makes the whole experience exceptionally tedious.

Yes, I rage quit the game. But not because I was shit at it. I rage quit the game because the game itself is shit.

You have to at least admit that it doesn't hold a candle to the 2016 reboot - one of the best shooters of the previous generation, and one of my favourites of all time. Seriously, mate, it's not even close.

As the next reply has stated, it's not nearly as bad as your are whining about. The overall consensus is that it's better than your precious doom 2016 (which was also a good game) Is it perfect? No, but no game is. Doom 2016 could be labeled as too repetative and simple, they add some complexity and it's whine bitch complain. Did you even play it long enough to actually know? Doesn't seem like it.

As to the Bethesda account, woooooopdee doo. You obviously signed up for the account, so it can't be the end of the world.
I'm about 3/4 way through the game and it hasn't once had any issue, nor did any of the reviews mark this as an issue.

No doubt a bitter SONY fan. Doom and id are rubbish now you see... because XBox own them

Top Bottom