• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

| DOOM Eternal OT | : Dragged Ripping & Tearing Into The New Decade!

zombrex

I hated Doom 2016, maybe I did not give it a full chance but I hated the weak ass pistol and the game started giving me motion sickness on PS4 so I gave up.

In contrast i am loving Doom Eternal on PC. Playing on Ultra-Violence for first play through, the game gets so ridiculously intense, dying tons and actually having to improve my skills to progress.
I had to take a break because I broke out in a sweat on one difficult battle. I love how every weapon and fire mode has a strength vs specific enemies, Almost feels like a puzzle game.

mcz117chief

The story on the surface is lackluster if you don't engage in the codex's. I don't necessarily like the idea of hiding so much juicy stuff in optional text collectables but it fleshed out so much of the world that I was totally hooked by the end. It even implies some pretty crazy shit about the nature of 1 particular character that is rather fascinating as well, it also adds an air of mystery regarding the nature of who the Makyrs are, like why that thing was floating in the pool in Arduk and who "The Father" is. The lore of this universe is actually pretty awesome.
I read the codex too, it was trash as well.

HotPocket69

Banned
What rune combos are you guys liking so far?

My mainstay is always the slow-mo on death, really gives you a good chance to make an escape and come back. Other than that I've been experimenting. I really wish that increased air mobility wasn't a fucking rune, that should be a suit upgrade thing instead to free up the rune slot for experimentation and maybe some new ideas, that's a holdover from 2016. I don't like that faster ledge grabbing/swinging is something I still have to spend resources for as well.

My other two right now are the long range Glory Kills and health drops after a Blood Punch, both pretty good life savers and the long range glory kill gives you nice increased mobility. I haven't toyed around much with the one that reduces equipment cooldowns if you kill with them, but that sounds pretty nice.

For me: better in air mobility, slo mo in air aiming, and faster glory kills

Game was great but man it had some flaws. Still loved it and I think it’s the best single player shooter in a while.

checkpoints were wack. Your ammo goes back to where it was but not extra lives.

Weird difficult spikes in the core game but I flew through slayer gates like they were nothing. Played on Ultra Violence.

Fuck the Marauder. Once you get used to him it’s fine. But then they start tossing him in with a bunch of other enemies.

Fuck the Marauders Dog.

But by far the worst part that got me enraged was getting caught on things and enemies. There’s nothing like getting pinned as you’re running backwards to avoid enemies and bam you get killed by a random zombie.

Either way I immediately started replaying the game which is something I really don’t do.

Also for all you PC players, I don’t think Bethesda Launcher has cloud saves, may want to back up your save.

MiguelItUp

I read the codex too, it was trash as well.
Eh, to each their own. I think it's far from trash. But it's also a DOOM game, so if you're expecting something monumental lore-wise, you're doing it to yourself lmao. Personally I love it, especially since DOOM came from a place with practically no lore, but now we're at a point where DOOM has lore, and a damned universe to bat!

I'm really excited about the DLC coming as I have questions. I can't help but assume one of those will be a prequel filling the gap between 2016 and Eternal. Quite a few questions there.

Also, Gman put up a new video with spoilers, etc. Pretty crazy because I agree with everything he says here, period. It's wild too, as I'm not used to being on the same level as an influencer or reviewer 100%. Feels good man! Again, only watch if you completed the game, or just dgaf about spoilers.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Eh, to each their own. I think it's far from trash. But it's also a DOOM game, so if you're expecting something monumental lore, you're doing it to yourself lmao. Personally I love it, especially since DOOM came from a place with practically no lore, but now we're at a point where DOOM has lore, and a damned universe to bat!
All the previous games had a nice story. 1 and 2 were basic but made sense and were to the point, just like 4. The only outlier there was 3 which really fleshed it out and told a really nice horror story. All those audio logs, videos, emails as you slowly unravel the mystery of what is and has happened, I love it. I read all of it in 3 many times over, it is such a fantastically written game, only few games achieve such a fantastic atmosphere, not even Dead Space was THAT good in that regard.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

I think in a few months time, when the shine has worn of, this game is going to be a very contentious subject.

Personally if I had to pick one to replay: the one without all the platforming and ammo issues, if I have to be honest with myself.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I finished it yesterday. I loved the gunplay, the levels were great and the enemies were fun to fight. Of course there’s some tedious fights just because the marauder had to show up. I didn’t mind the platforming. I almost wish they would have had even more enemies. The summoner was a cool idea. Either annoying because you were outnumbered or awesome because you killed it early on. I liked DOOM 2016, but for some reason the gunplay wasn’t as addicting as Eternal.

I don’t know if any of them are as replayable as the original games. Over time they are, like DOOM 3 is. The platforming in Eternal has some high points. I love feeling like I’m scaling the level and progressing. The annoying parts were not feeling like I wanted to replay a certain section. Eternal is good, but it solidifies progression. I’m glad I finished it, but idk when I’d want to replay it.

What was cool was Bethesda’s Slayers club. I unlocked 4 skins by claiming my rewards from DOOM 1-3 and DOOM 64. I got the Zombie skin which was neat. I didn’t care about the plot as much as I would have like to. I actually thought it played great without the cutscenes. Regarding the ending, the end fight felt like monitoring ammo/health spawns

I really liked the colorful ammo and the world to DOOM Eternal. I just wish it had something to go back to that felt fresh or had that classic feeling to it.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Personally if I had to pick one to replay: the one without all the platforming and ammo issues, if I have to be honest with myself.
I really don't understand the "issues" with ammo, or the platforming really. With platforming, there's a lot more of it, and it feels very random and game-y, haha. But I feel like it feels a lot better than it should, it doesn't get enough credit for being a solid platforming experience in first person. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Lanrutcon

I really don't understand the "issues" with ammo, or the platforming really. With platforming, there's a lot more of it, and it feels very random and game-y, haha. But I feel like it feels a lot better than it should, it doesn't get enough credit for being a solid platforming experience in first person. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'll agree that the platforming is done well. There are a lot of examples of terrible FPS platforming, D:E is not one of them.

Bartski

Gold Member
Interesting to read so many different opinions and seeing so many of you love the game, it all comes down to personal taste I wish nothing but the best for ID and their future projects even if my last post didn't sound that way.
One more thing I'd like to add.. I actually liked the Marauder "parry" mechanic :) the whole trick is NOT to use the SSG as the game suggests.
What I didn't like is how this enemy was implemented, which also highlights one serious issue with the combat system that more players seem to notice: as DOOM'16 was all about pushing forward to survive through glory kills, ETERNAL arenas (especially later encounters with the Marauder) felt like constantly running away like a bitch from danger on the lookout for weak fodder to chainsaw to get some ammo back

Nymphae

Banned

Ammo is free and literally available everywhere you need it (when enemies are around), I don't understand this complaint anymore either. Constantly running out of ammo means you are utilizing the systems incorrectly.

It's like people want to stockpile 10x more than they need and just go ham with one weapon. A chainsaw pip gives you enough ammo to wreak havoc until you run out again, and when it runs out again, chainsaw a dude - it's a simple and very enjoyable loop I think. I prefer this to having to scour the level for ammo I need. When I need ammo, I go and get it from their bodies.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
I use the lock on rockets for Marauders. More often than not, the volley will catch them and then once you fire again while they’re staggered, they’re toast. Easy peasy town.

Their dogs can fuck off though.

Nymphae

Banned
So far I have had absolutely no trouble against the Marauders with the method I mentioned, just keeping a constant sprint going, switching between pulse rife for getting fodder glory kills for health and then turning around occasionally to hit him in the face with the SSG, you can get two of these off per stun. If you keep the sprint going in the right lines, usually the dog is right with him when you turn around so he doesn't even require much effort to hit. I just finished Ultra Violence last night, this method wrecked them every time.

I found the summoner enemy is maybe the biggest pain in the ass, or the Cyber Mancubus, the weakpoint doesn't really disable their poison shots and you have to get right in on them to hit the weak point so I end up just blasting them a lot from afar.

Last edited:

Helios

I liked the story for the most part. I understand where the complaints are coming and while there's way too much codex text, I've actually read and enjoyed most of it. Especially some of the illustrations were amazing.
I think it was a necessary evil in order to move the game out of "You're on mars, there are demons" or "You're on earth now, there are demons." Now we have these ridiculously well designed "angel" enemies with their own world and fleshed-out civillization, the Sentinels, the motherfucking Titans etc. And I think this plays into the other aspects of the game as well. The locations are way more varied, the Sentinel towns especially were my favorites. We have different types of enemies that are not just demons. And the weapons are getting more varied too and I hope they go further with this. The Unmaker, while awful, looks great. Same with the Sword.
I think the flashbacks were at little hamfisted and I laughed when I heard Doom Slayer start saying Rip and Tear when I think I was supposed to take the scene seriously. The voice acting kind of stood out in particular.
Ammo is free and literally available everywhere you need it (when enemies are around), I don't understand this complaint anymore either. Constantly running out of ammo means you are utilizing the systems incorrectly.

It's like people want to stockpile 10x more than they need and just go ham with one weapon. A chainsaw pip gives you enough ammo to wreak havoc until you run out again, and when it runs out again, chainsaw a dude - it's a simple and very enjoyable loop I think. I prefer this to having to scour the level for ammo I need. When I need ammo, I go and get it from their bodies.
I think when people see that you can have like 8 max rockets at the beginning or something ridiculous like that they go "What the fuck is this game" and I get it, especially compared to other doom games. However if they adjust they'll find a better combat system with frantic action and more weapon switching. That and you get more upgrades.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

So far I have had absolutely no trouble against the Marauders with the method I mentioned, just keeping a constant sprint going, switching between pulse rife for getting fodder glory kills for health and then turning around occasionally to hit him in the face with the SSG, you can get two of these off per stun. If you keep the sprint going in the right lines, usually the dog is right with him when you turn around so he doesn't even require much effort to hit. I just finished Ultra Violence last night, this method wrecked them every time.

I found the summoner enemy is maybe the biggest pain in the ass, or the Cyber Mancubus, the weakpoint doesn't really disable their poison shots and you have to get right in on them to hit the weak point so I end up just blasting them a lot from afar.

I had no troubles with any enemy in the game, but the marauder is annoying with his mechanics. I can easily kill him in a few seconds if he is alone but in a bigger fight I always had to ignore him since he requires 100% focus to take down quickly and that is not possible to do when there are other enemies around. For example there is that secret encounter with him and I finished it in like 10 seconds by using the chaingun but in normal battles he is super annoying. And when it comes to cyber mancubus the blood punch removes all armour and about 90% of HP on Hurt me Plenty, usually a single rocket was all I had to do to finish it off. And for arch-viles I always used the sword.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I should say, obviously you do run out of ammo a lot of times in this game but the idea is to be switching between your weapons more, using all of the ammo types in between saw fill ups. In 2016 I thought the saw was badass, but I felt like I was restricted from using it too much because of it's ammo system. But here I love that I'm encouraged to use it constantly, it looks awesome, goes by quickly, gives me invincibility and a tiny bit of health, and refills ammo. Use the shit out of it.

I use the pulse rifle and machine gun for long rage fodder shooting, to get them into GK state. When I'm up in faces, I want my SSG, or my beefed up Pulse rifle/heat blast. Pulse rife is so good for approaching mobs while blasting and building up heat, then giving them the full blast and getting the damage multiplier afterwards. The SSG is also great for picking off a distant fodder demon in the thick of things to meathook to and saw for ammo/tiny health if you need it. When I'm at a distance picking off big things, I'm going for their weakpoints, usually needing the sticky bombs from shotgun or the machine gun ADS, or I'm hitting them hard with my Rocket launcher/Ballista/Minigun. Toss in ice/grenades/fire when appropriate mobs appear, use the sword when I'm getting mobbed by heavies.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
DOOM[2016] was reportedly very hard to mod. DOOM Eternal, however, is off to a strong start. This guy DTZxPorter is making a ton of progress with asset extraction. Many people were requesting model export so they could 3d print the toy collectibles found in the game. From what I gather, changing the assets and getting them back into the game is no small feat, but with time hopefully model and texture swaps will make their way into the game. Some real potential in that regards.

Nymphae

Banned
One of my favourite things about Doom's mechanics is the slowdown when using the weapon wheel, it's so essential for giving you momentary pauses during the constant breakneck pace of the battles, without really breaking the flow.

HotPocket69 HotPocket69 how exactly are you utilizing the air slowmo Rune? Rocket lock ons? It felt limiting to me because you'd always have to use a weapon's secondary mode right? I wanted it so you could activate it with a stick click or something then use whatever gun/mode you want.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Well I lied. I went for all weapon masteries.

wM62cQU.jpg

Was fun. Only had a few left and didn’t take long. Cleaned house on Taras Nabad.

HotPocket69

Banned
Nymphae Nymphae Mostly for rocket lock on and shotgun grenades (pop rockets from Rage) yeah. Immensely helpful. That and it just looks and feels badass and cool as fuck lol

Last edited:

Inviusx

Yeah I don't really understand the complaints with Ammo, it's just shoot/chainsaw/shoot again. The whole game was designed around that loop. In fact there is never a single fight that doesn't have infinitely respawining chainsaw fodder, that's the whole point!

IMHO the game does a great job of making you switch up weapons, at least on Ultra Violence.

I spent the majority of the game between the regular shotgun (For activating the Mancubus weak spot) the Super Shotgun (which I used more than any other gun) the Rocket Launcher and the Ballista.

I rarely used the Chain Gun and I only really used the Heavy Cannon and Pulse Rifle when the situation required it (Heavy Cannon was MVP for the second last boss fight for me).

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Yeah I don't really understand the complaints with Ammo, it's just shoot/chainsaw/shoot again. The whole game was designed around that loop. In fact there is never a single fight that doesn't have infinitely respawining chainsaw fodder, that's the whole point!

IMHO the game does a great job of making you switch up weapons, at least on Ultra Violence.

I spent the majority of the game between the regular shotgun (For activating the Mancubus weak spot) the Super Shotgun (which I used more than any other gun) the Rocket Launcher and the Ballista.

I rarely used the Chain Gun and I only really used the Heavy Cannon and Pulse Rifle when the situation required it (Heavy Cannon was MVP for the second last boss fight for me).
The chain gun shield mod makes it pretty useful

Helios

4) More powerups through out the game, I found only one berserker pack in the whole game, there might have been more but I never found them and I did run through the entire arenas most of the time. 3 quad damages I think, 2 speed boosts. Mega Spheres, however, did start appearing quite regularly during the later levels.
I think there's only one Berserk. I genuinely don't know why they didn't put in more power-ups outside of Mega Spheres.

Meh the lock on rockets shred them. Just two volleys needed.

At least on UV. I haven't gotten to em on Nightmare.
Or just chop them in half with the crucible.

Last edited:

Qwell

Can seem to find this online, anyone know if you replay a mission to get a missed collectable like cheat code r toy. Do you have to find it and actually finish the mission to keep it? Or just get to like the next checkpoint after getting it and then you can quit?

Paztak

Neo Member
I did see that some youtubers was saying that you cannot play DOOM properly with controller...
I don't know, I tested it and you can play it just fine with controller and it's still fun.

Helios

I thought they always deflected the sword attacks?
I thought you were talking about Archviles. Marauders always get the Ballista for me.
Can seem to find this online, anyone know if you replay a mission to get a missed collectable like cheat code r toy. Do you have to find it and actually finish the mission to keep it? Or just get to like the next checkpoint after getting it and then you can quit?
Once you collected it, you can select "return to base" (or something like that) and you keep it. The game even gives you a prompt telling you that it saves all the collectibles you've found.

Eh, to each their own. I think it's far from trash. But it's also a DOOM game, so if you're expecting something monumental lore-wise, you're doing it to yourself lmao. Personally I love it, especially since DOOM came from a place with practically no lore, but now we're at a point where DOOM has lore, and a damned universe to bat!

I'm really excited about the DLC coming as I have questions. I can't help but assume one of those will be a prequel filling the gap between 2016 and Eternal. Quite a few questions there.

Also, Gman put up a new video with spoilers, etc. Pretty crazy because I agree with everything he says here, period. It's wild too, as I'm not used to being on the same level as an influencer or reviewer 100%. Feels good man! Again, only watch if you completed the game, or just dgaf about spoilers.

I wanted to watch this video but it's been a week and I'm only half way into the game on UV. It can get pretty tricky at times where I just hit a brick wall and have to stop playing for a few hours. Can't wait to see how the DLC will end up.

I just really hope they add an Arcade mode or something.

Nymphae

Banned
I did see that some youtubers was saying that you cannot play DOOM properly with controller...

Don't know what they mean exactly, I'm fairly proficient with the controls, I cranked up the sensitivity on the sticks a bit and I'm not really having any trouble with it, even on Nightmare, my deaths are mostly a result of dumb decisions I'm making and not being situationally aware, I'm actually constantly surprising myself with some of the shit I'm able to pull off. The controls feel fantastic on a dualshock, I actually wonder how people are managing all of these different functions on a keyboard.

Last edited:
I actually wonder how people are managing all of these different functions on a keyboard.

:messenger_grinning_sweat:

I don't know, I tested it and you can play it just fine with controller and it's still fun.

You can definitely play it with a controller, no issues there. Clearly the game was design to play on mouse and keyboard, which is a good thing.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned

For real though, aside from the better aim I get from a mouse, I don't see how a keyboard layout is better than a dual shock where I have buttons placed where my fingers are. I haven't played a PC FPS in a while, I'm wondering where I would even bind grenades, switch grenade type, sword, saw, dash, etc.

-Troid-

Banned
I really wish you could save mid mission (quit out and continue at the last checkpoint later) when replaying missions in DOOM '16 and Eternal.

It makes replaying them more of a hassle if you have to drop the game to do something else. I could always leave it paused or suspended but half the time I suspend a game and turn on my Xbox later it spergs out and quits out of the game when I try to open it back up.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I really wish you could save mid mission (quit out and continue at the last checkpoint later) when replaying missions in DOOM '16 and Eternal.

I'm pretty sure I've been doing this? I don't remember having to restart entire levels after quitting.

Paztak

Neo Member
For real though, aside from the better aim I get from a mouse, I don't see how a keyboard layout is better than a dual shock where I have buttons placed where my fingers are. I haven't played a PC FPS in a while, I'm wondering where I would even bind grenades, switch grenade type, sword, saw, dash, etc.

I play FPS game on PC always with mouse + keyboard, but I have played a lot FPS games on consoles, so I`m also very familiar with controller gaming. I have to say that controller beats easily m+k with buttons accessibility.
Nowadays when you have all kinds of superpower etc. in FPS games it´s much more easier to change between those abilities with controller than m+k. For example RAGE was one of those games which I preferred to use controller over m+k because those abilities and driving.

Nymphae

Banned
I play FPS game on PC always with mouse + keyboard, but I have played a lot FPS games on consoles, so I`m also very familiar with controller gaming. I have to say that controller beats easily m+k with buttons accessibility.
Nowadays when you have all kinds of superpower etc. in FPS games it´s much more easier to change between those abilities with controller than m+k. For example RAGE was one of those games which I preferred to use controller over m+k because those abilities and driving.

It reminds me of the elitism with fighting sticks, only now are you seeing people sort of grudgingly admit that people raised on controllers for fighting games can play just as well as players with a stick, Knuckledu uses a goddamn analog stick and is one of the better Guile players in the US.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
:messenger_grinning_sweat:
You can definitely play it with a controller, no issues there. Clearly the game was design to play on mouse and keyboard, which is a good thing.
Yeah i bought this for PC cos i thought i would need the accuracy of M+K. Certainly getting those whip fast shots in would be a big help but it's not necessary. My computer died so i got it for PS4 Pro and have been playing with controller and have not had any issues. It's totally playable. Hard and hell but playable.

So i think Im getting close to the end and I just have to say....fuck Marauders. Im sure its been discussed to death but they're the only enemy where you have to counter attack and its a complete buzzkill. It just grinds everything to a halt and is annoying as fuck. Also, fuck his dog. He just spawns another one as soon as you kill it. Marauders just feel like such a complete misstep from everything else in the game.

Im currently at a part where you have to fight one and a bunch of other guys in a hallway....which is complete ass.

odd_hatch

I must be the only guy on earth that feels absolutely nothing for this game. What the hell?

I'm having trouble having fun. I don't know what it is, it's both too easy and too annoying suddenly, or maybe it's me not caring to give my full potential because I'm bored.

It's too linear. It's just a corridor between monster arenas. I usually like platforming, but this kind of platforming seems a little out of place.

And to add insult to injury I just can't connect to Bethesda servers anymore and the game keeps stopping to try and log in. I'm pissed.

Hostile_18

Banned
When I first started playing this I was at a 6/10. It seemed overly complicated with feature creep.

Once you get into it though and everything becomes second nature my god is it good. Even the weapon challenges add to the game.

I'm at a 8 or 9 out of 10. It's up against such good competition but its definitely a GOTY contender for me.

MiguelItUp

I must be the only guy on earth that feels absolutely nothing for this game. What the hell?

I'm having trouble having fun. I don't know what it is, it's both too easy and too annoying suddenly, or maybe it's me not caring to give my full potential because I'm bored.

It's too linear. It's just a corridor between monster arenas. I usually like platforming, but this kind of platforming seems a little out of place.

And to add insult to injury I just can't connect to Bethesda servers anymore and the game keeps stopping to try and log in. I'm pissed.
I guess it's just not for you?

If it's too easy, crank the difficulty. If it's "boring" then yeah, I guess it's not for you. But I'd like to know and understand what isn't boring for you, lol.

Eh, linear is a bit abrasive IMO, it plays like an Arena Shooter, just like 2016, which some people complained about the same. So, if you didn't like 2016, then you weren't gonna like this.

That's really weird, I've never had a problem connecting whatsoever. :(

i love the areas with the rotating fire sticks. strangely it reminds me of being in Bowser's castle back in the original Super Mario Bros.

Haha, right? I find it amusing cause so many people were like, "THIS FEELS TOO GAME-Y!", but when you think about it and the previous DOOM games, it doesn't feel TOO different. I mean, of course it's more. But you had power-ups that were littered here and there, random weapons and ammo, hidden passages, etc. The stuff in Eternal just feels like an exaggeration. But I always loved thinking about demons and zombies just neatly placing power-ups and items for the Doom Guy, lol. Like cookies for Santa Claus.

When I first started playing this I was at a 6/10. It seemed overly complicated with feature creep.

Once you get into it though and everything becomes second nature my god is it good. Even the weapon challenges add to the game.

I'm at a 8 or 9 out of 10. It's up against such good competition but its definitely a GOTY contender for me.
Right?! That's the most important thing, getting into that core gameplay flow. Once you get that down, man, it feels SO good. I completed it once and now I'm going back through on Ultra Violence with the Extra Lives mode. I've been playing a bit every single day since release. It's pretty addicting.

Really can't wait to see what they do for future content.

Last edited:

odd_hatch

That's really weird, I've never had a problem connecting whatsoever. :(
PC or PS4?
I've had the problem for 4 days now.

I'm only 4 hours in. Maybe my opinion will change if it gets more interesting later. But I don't play any of the arena shooters, CoDs or Destiny and the like. I'm more into original Doom.

Top Bottom