• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

| DOOM Eternal OT | : Dragged Ripping & Tearing Into The New Decade!

MiguelItUp

Am I the only one who had trouble getting through this wall? lol. I feel like they need to address it via patch as I was clearly landing the punches but it just didn't break most the time which causes you to fall for damage or death, theres a secret encounter behind it which took me a handful of retries to beat.

20200412124605_196jlb.jpg
Have you tried just air dashing into it? That typically breaks the walls too, sometimes better.

lock2k

Banned
How was Eternal? Is it too similar to Doom 2016 or different?

I'm asking because I dusted off my PS3 during the quarantine and I started to play Doom 2 (and god I still love that game, feels exactly like it did back in the day),

Then... I remembered I had Game Pass and decided to download the 2016 Doom to check it out.

I played it for 45 minutes and it just doesn't feel like Doom at all. It just looks like a red Halo set on Mars with a lot of flood enemies coming in.

I love Halo and I love Doom, but I was bored. Still love the soundtrack by the amazing Mick Gordon, but I feel that all of the demonic atmosphere is gone and it just looks like a boring space marine shooter.

Also.... the first gun sounds like a fart with a silencer. I miss the pop sound of older Doom.

Last edited:

JRW

Have you tried just air dashing into it? That typically breaks the walls too, sometimes better.

Yea there's just something off with this area but I finally beat the secret encounter behind it and the game itself , unlocked all the single player achievements but gonna check out battlemode tonight.

The campaign was fantastic tho 10/10 and of course still have more stuff to unlock via XP / weekly challenges etc.

MiguelItUp

Yea there's just something off with this area but I finally beat the secret encounter behind it and the game itself , unlocked all the single player achievements but gonna check out battlemode tonight.

The campaign was fantastic tho 10/10 and of course still have more stuff to unlock via XP / weekly challenges etc.
Weird, Well I'm glad you were able to make it there!

Reactions: JRW

Skrapers

Neophyte
I want to preface this post by saying I did and still do enjoy Doom Eternal. It is a GOOD game. But I wont pretend it's perfect. Firstly, I believe they were a little to into their own farts when they decided the one playstyle they selected for it is the only playstyle. Having to break up the zen of run and gun with unnecessary glory kills/blood punches/chainsaw/flame thrower/2 types of grenades/sword does not feel good to this Doom Veteran. It feels like tacked on mechanics. That said, I am not arguing that it should go away. I believe there should be an option in the Game menu, or Game Style to select before you start that places more ammo/health/armor around the game, and increases your ammo supplies to the classic amount. And for those who argue "Just play with Infinite Ammo", that doesn't feel good either. To suggest that I have to cheat to have fun is a poor position to come from.

My second complaint about the game is the forced involvement of the player in the story. Especially the opening scene that can't be skipped for a fair chunk of it. It would be so nice, if in a patch that the added an option to automatically skip any and all parts of the story. Some of us appreciated that about 2016, except when you had to sit in that meeting with Samuel Hayden towards the later part of the game. Again, I understand they put a lot of effort in the story, and I will also admit my first time through the game it was quite fun. But my 19th and 20th run through? Nah. I could definitely live without it.

Now, I've played it enough to develop these opinions fully. I beat it on Ultra Nightmare, and another playthrough without any upgrades. So I don't need to "Git Gud" as some folks have pointed out earlier in the thread to others. In fact such statements undermine the legitimacy of any and all arguments they may have made prior. I have my own opinion, as do others who paid for the game and they are all equally legitimate.

Is it as Good as Doom 1, 2, 64, 3, and 2016? Yes. Very much so. They all are great games when enjoyed for what they are individually. Is it Better than any of them. Not in any shape way or form. It is it's own unique experience and should be appreciated for that. For those who stuck around in my lengthy post, thank you. For those who skipped to the end TLDR: Eternal is a great game and everyone should play it at least once from beginning to end to see the game for themselves and make their own opinion.

AikBT5L.jpg

nWoXQtj.jpg

Just putting that here. And the Gold skin is ugly as hell. I feel ripped off getting it. ♥♥♥

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
How would you like to be this guys neighbor? You are just casually hanging out in your bedroom, maybe putting away some laundry, and you look out your window and see this dude with a blade attached to his arm murdering a spray painted watermelon...
I'll admit if I was some old lady next door, I'd probably have a heart attack if I saw him destroy a demon looking melon with a blade coming out of his arm, then move onto grabbing a rabbit. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
this game is still a lot of fun. one thing i like about replaying levels is the movement mechanics. it is the most Platformer Doom that has ever existed. i know it's silly but the monkey bars puzzles I LOOOOVE THEM.

MiguelItUp

Welp, hope they fix this random 0 XP issue cause I just spent an hour beating the master level lol

vGnlbSZ.jpg
Oof, me thinks it's them prepping for the update tomorrow. This happened to me when the game released and I got everything later. So don't be concerned! :)

Nymphae

Banned
Finished my Nightmare run, went back for the Slayer Gates on Ultra Violence, those are pretty good fun.

I tried the first Master Level and found it pretty boring, it's just more enemies and more crammed into previously "safe" areas. I would have enjoyed some actual asset remixing, maybe something like random generated levels idk, rather than just running through the same levels yet again.

I loved it from front to back, but I'm going to take a wait and see approach to the DLC. Feel a little burned out on it after playing it through 3 times. I would have really enjoyed some traditional multiplayer to keep me engaged, I'm not all that interested in the Battle Mode.

Nymphae

Banned
I'm always saying games with fun mechanics like this need to have something like Bloody Palace from DMC, it feels like such a no brainer to me for cheaply adding single player replay value to something yet you never see it done really. Imagine a mode here where they just had one well designed arena, X number of rounds or infinite, and gradually increasing enemy count and damage variables - see how long you can last. Just a fun survival mode basically, you could even do it with co-op slayers because why not. The videos would be unreal.

SweetShark

I'm always saying games with fun mechanics like this need to have something like Bloody Palace from DMC, it feels like such a no brainer to me for cheaply adding single player replay value to something yet you never see it done really. Imagine a mode here where they just had one well designed arena, X number of rounds or infinite, and gradually increasing enemy count and damage variables - see how long you can last. Just a fun survival mode basically, you could even do it with co-op slayers because why not. The videos would be unreal.

They could easily apply a teleportation system which after some rounds in a area to teleport in a matter of seconds (no loading screen) and start new rounds here.

Also my biggest dream is to have new demons from other games as cameos to appear only in the blood palace like game.

-Troid-

Banned
How was Eternal? Is it too similar to Doom 2016 or different?

I'm asking because I dusted off my PS3 during the quarantine and I started to play Doom 2 (and god I still love that game, feels exactly like it did back in the day),

Then... I remembered I had Game Pass and decided to download the 2016 Doom to check it out.

I played it for 45 minutes and it just doesn't feel like Doom at all. It just looks like a red Halo set on Mars with a lot of flood enemies coming in.

I love Halo and I love Doom, but I was bored. Still love the soundtrack by the amazing Mick Gordon, but I feel that all of the demonic atmosphere is gone and it just looks like a boring space marine shooter.

Also.... the first gun sounds like a fart with a silencer. I miss the pop sound of older Doom.

No offense but I really don't see how the new DOOMS are like Halo. I replayed all the Halo games before Reach remastered came out and the pacing is totally different. Halo you gotta take cover and play more defensively (especially on higher difficulties); the new DOOM games are more strafing and offense heavy.
Halo rewards you for thinking defensively; DOOM offensively.

If anything Halo has more in common with older DOOMs since those games lack of vertical movement/aiming make cover a more vital strategy. DOOM 4 (2016) and especially Eternal are all about moving constantly and "the best defense is a good offense" philosophy.

MiguelItUp

No offense but I really don't see how the new DOOMS are like Halo. I replayed all the Halo games before Reach remastered came out and the pacing is totally different. Halo you gotta take cover and play more defensively (especially on higher difficulties); the new DOOM games are more strafing and offense heavy.

If anything Halo has more in common with older DOOMs since those games lack of vertical movement/aiming make cover a more vital strategy. DOOM 4 (2016) and especially Eternal are all about moving constantly and "the best defense is a good offense" philosophy.
I wholeheartedly agree. I was never a gigantic Halo fan, but I gave each of the games before 4 a shot. I never once thought the games felt like Halo at all, which is a good thing. I want DOOM to feel like DOOM and honestly 2016 & Eternal capture the combat and chaos from the originals so well. But of course they added more modern twists.

lock2k

Banned

I'm talking about the atmosphere, not the gameplay. The first gun you get sounds like a watergun, it doesnt have that pop and everything is so red. I miss the greenish hue of the original Doom games and they felt much more satanic and occult. This one has more of a Dead Space atmosphere. Did I lile the new one? Ye. Good game. But to me it doesn't feel like Doom at all. However, Mick Gordon's soundtrack is a vast improvement. I love everything he does.

GiJoint

Ever since my now 9 year old son saw me play Doom(2016) he’s been obsessed with the series.

He has completed Doom Eternal on Ultra Violence, finished it before me and now he’s playing the original first two again which he finished prior to Eternals release and making me watch him play Doom 3.

Ulysses 31

Ever since my now 9 year old son saw me play Doom(2016) he’s been obsessed with the series.

He has completed Doom Eternal on Ultra Violence, finished it before me and now he’s playing the original first two again which he finished prior to Eternals release and making me watch him play Doom 3.
You gonna let him get away with skipping Doom 64? :lollipop_confused:

Ixion

I'm talking about the atmosphere, not the gameplay. The first gun you get sounds like a watergun, it doesnt have that pop and everything is so red. I miss the greenish hue of the original Doom games and they felt much more satanic and occult. This one has more of a Dead Space atmosphere. Did I lile the new one? Ye. Good game. But to me it doesn't feel like Doom at all. However, Mick Gordon's soundtrack is a vast improvement. I love everything he does.

You said you only played the first 45 minutes though? Or were you just checking it again after a few years?

Just like the original game, the levels get more demonic as you go. Obviously there are the hell levels and then there’s the Mars levels that become more overrun with hellish influence.

GiJoint

You gonna let him get away with skipping Doom 64? :lollipop_confused:
Oh he won’t skip finishing that, he’s going to jam that after Doom 3, he’s played a little bit of it - thinks the monsters in 64 have creepy sound effects in particular the Hell Knight/Baron, something about the lighting looking cool and being disappointed in the reload animations for the shotguns. (He’s always asking me which weapons I like across the entire lot of games and asking me to rate them) and the Cyberdemon looking the most badass across all the games.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
This game needs a Firefight mode and a Theater mode like Halo Reach. Take the best arenas in the game and let you play them with waves of enemies. Co-op is something I'd love as well, even it if was only on a couple big specifically tailored maps.

On a sidenote, here's a video of me playing Super Gore Nest, Nightmare difficulty, No HUD, Wolverine Ultimate Xbox One controller+reWASD custom layout...

Make sure to set to 1440p/60fps if you can.

lock2k

Banned
You said you only played the first 45 minutes though? Or were you just checking it again after a few years?

Just like the original game, the levels get more demonic as you go. Obviously there are the hell levels and then there’s the Mars levels that become more overrun with hellish influence.
I was checking it again after trying it in a friend's house when it came out. I will continue playing it. It is a cool game anyway. But I think I will replay Doom 1 and 2 first because I'm already playing them.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
This game needs a Firefight mode and a Theater mode like Halo Reach. Take the best arenas in the game and let you play them with waves of enemies. Co-op is something I'd love as well, even it if was only on a couple big specifically tailored maps.

On a sidenote, here's a video of me playing Super Gore Nest, Nightmare difficulty, No HUD, Wolverine Ultimate Xbox One controller+reWASD custom layout...

Make sure to set to 1440p/60fps if you can.

MrMissileFart is the most “gamer” shit I’ve ever seen in my life. What a name

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
MrMissileFart is the most “gamer” shit I’ve ever seen in my life. What a name
Thanks. My boys and their friends thought it was a great name. Not to brag, but I get lots of jealous people wishing they had thought of it first. Although, most of them tend to be in the 10-13yr old demographic and playing Roblox and Fortnite all day. :pie_thinking:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Another DOOM Eternal + Animal Crossing mashup. Good stuff...

I've taken a little break from Eternal to play World War Z and now Final Fantasy XIV. I'm tempted to try some of these RT-ish graphics mods when they get nice and polished.

makaveli60

Heeelp! Just started playing and the shotgun sounds insanely weak! Is this by design or some setting? I couldn't find anything. It sounds a hundred times weaker than Doom 2016's shotgun. :(

makaveli60

Nobody had this problem? I was literally in the belief that the game was bugged and restarted it but no difference. Then I left the sounds on 100% while reducing music, voices etc. A tiny bit better obviously but this is still not ok. I don't want to believe that it is designed like this. How could a shotgun sound so weak in a Doom game?

Last edited:
Whatever happened to the Switch version? I haven't heard anything about it but heard it's still supposed to come out.

I kinda want a Switch and wanna see what this game is like on it but hard to imagine how they'll port it.

makaveli60

I bought the game last week and I have completed 6 levels so far so I wanted to leave some impressions. I'm genuinely surprised by how much I like it. Before release I was really worried about the new game design elements like the floating green guns, items, the rainbow colors and cartoony feeling. I thought these things will make me hate the game as it goes against the things I really liked in Doom 2016 but the level design, the gameplay, the new demons / designs are so good that I grew quite fond of the game. I'm not saying I like it more than 2016 because of the mentioned reasons, but it's a worthy successor. I really like both this and the 2016 version but for different reasons, though I hope a theorical sequel will go back to 2016's more "realistic" design. However, my biggest problem is the sound design. Where have the punchy weapon sounds gone? The guns sound so bad that I constantly think that my game is bugged. A Doom game can't have such weak weapon sounds, especially after Doom 2016. What happened? Did others notice this? I already asked about it earlier but got no answers. I tried tinkering with the sound settings but no luck. Maybe some option on the PS4 to improve it?

MiguelItUp

Cool but not sure if its enough to keep me playing. I've done the available master levels and played back through the campaign for a bit but unlocks come too slowly to just keep replaying the story mode. Battlemode doesnt really interest me.
Yeah, it's pretty sad for me. I love the game a ton, but I just want to unlock new items they provide at this point. So I just launch, complete challenges, then close again until there's new ones.

I really wish multiplayer was better. Battle Mode is just so incredibly meh, and I despise the fact that they try to make it sound like so much more than it really is.

makaveli60

Just finished it. What a fucking brutal epic game!
Things I liked:
-enemy designs
-level design
-gameplay, even the platforming sequences, they provide some much needed variety
-graphics, although it's a bit more cartoony than 2016's, I still liked it
-boss fights, all of them were awesome! especially the last one, among the best ever IMO
-the gore system
-the secrets
-the story wasn't bad either
-the over the topness of the whole game
-the soundtrack, it's maybe even better IMO than the previous game's
-I loved how they parodied SJW bullshit, feels like no other mainstream company has the balls to do this (read the the magazine and book covers in Doomguy's room!)

Things I didn't:
-horrible weapon sounds, how could they fuck this up so much after the previous game? I'm crying when I hear that weak minigun sound
-floating icons: I don't understand why was this necessary, Doom 2016 handled this perfectly, the things you could pick up felt as parts of the world, give me back that!
-lack of new weapons (besides 1 or 2)
-lack of weapon glory kills

All in all, it was awesome and I was positively surprised since I was very skeptical because of the gameplay videos and the things I found unlikable, but I had an amazing time playing it and never felt bored. For the sequel I would like new types of glory kills, like with weapon as I said, or killing more demons at the same time etc., new weapons, dual-wield (this would be good for a pickup, like berserk)

Anyway, congrats to id Software again, who are my favorite company since I started playing Doom in my early childhood. They have every reason to be proud, it's very difficult to make such a worthy sequel to one of the most known videogames ever created and with such a history, but they handled it like the kings and queens they are. Now create a fully nextgen sequel that slays everything else before it!

Dr.Morris79

This game totally lost me with the platforming parts with all the jumping around nonsense, it's just not Doom to me. I was glad I got Doom 64 with it though.

Ixion

I beat the game a few weeks ago and I'm about halfway through my second playthrough. I think Doom Eternal is a great game and while I agree that some aspects don't really fit the vibe of what you expect from a Doom game, like the monkey bars and spider-man climbing, I look at it like I look at Doom 3...

The original Doom game has arcade elements, horror elements, etc. Doom 3 is Doom, but pushed all the way towards the horror side of the franchise. Doom Eternal is Doom, but pushed all the way towards the arcade-y side of the franchise. If you told me that the franchise will basically stay like this for a long time, then I might be worried, but I would look at Doom Eternal as if it's just a different interpretation of the franchise, and to expect different interpretations as we go forward. That allows you to better accept the game as it is.

And to be honest, using the monkey bars and doing spider-man shit, while not very "Doom", is kinda fun. And when the combat is in full-gear, the game is fucking exhilarating. So if you accept this as just a very arcade-y Doom game, then it works. With that said, I do think the next game needs to move in a bit of a different direction instead of just ratcheting up the arcade side of things even more. I would like something more like a modern version of Doom 64, which is a great combination of the fast-paced classic gameplay with a dark/spooky atmosphere. Hell, a reboot of the first Quake game would be similar to that too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom