• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Franchise Community Thread: That's one doomed space marine!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Can someone tell me exactly how you're supposed to get to the secret BFG/Ammo cache area in Tricks and Traps? There's a specific way to do it but if you do it wrong, you are unable to ever get into it. It's in the northeast area, the one where there's a few dozen Pinky Demons on a platform and a rocket launcher set to lure you over which causes the floor to become a stairway for the demons to get to you. Basically there's two switches. The left one opens the exit and the right opens one of the doors to the secret area. But usually by the time I get into that room the second door behind it is permanently closed and I don't know exactly what triggers it. Is it a timer? Is it a secret linedef? I always end up saying fuck it and using clipping just to get that stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in the level is a secret linedef switch that closes it if you decide to go there first.

I tried Googling but it doesn't seem any walkthroughs mention that it closes. They act like it's normal for it to always be open.

NBtoaster

Can someone tell me exactly how you're supposed to get to the secret BFG/Ammo cache area in Tricks and Traps? There's a specific way to do it but if you do it wrong, you are unable to ever get into it. It's in the northeast area, the one where there's a few dozen Pinky Demons on a platform and a rocket launcher set to lure you over which causes the floor to become a stairway for the demons to get to you. Basically there's two switches. The left one opens the exit and the right opens one of the doors to the secret area. But usually by the time I get into that room the second door behind it is permanently closed and I don't know exactly what triggers it. Is it a timer? Is it a secret linedef? I always end up saying fuck it and using clipping just to get that stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in the level is a secret linedef switch that closes it if you decide to go there first.

I tried Googling but it doesn't seem any walkthroughs mention that it closes. They act like it's normal for it to always be open.

The switch in the tall room with the cacodemons opens the second door.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The switch in the tall room with the cacodemons opens the second door.
Well I'll be damned.

I've always lovehated this level. So good.

I've beaten the first three episodes of DOOM on Ultra-Violence in Brutal DOOM and am working on DOOM II. But I fear I won't be able to finish since it's going to get a lot harder. I tried Episode IV and it took forever and a lower skill just to get passed level 1. As soon as level 2 started with 2 dozen enemies all staring at me and no ammo, I knew I was going to have to give up on that. Maybe I'll be able to beat it on the lowest skill.

Ixion

So it seems www.doomworld.com is down. I know the owner said they were being shut down, but I thought we'd be directed to a new site.

Pretty bad timing considering QuakeCon is going on and a new Doom presentation is happening tomorrow.

Ixion

Why in the world are they being shut down? Do you have a link with the story?

The owner made a thread, so I can't access it now obviously. But he said something about their host company would be removing Doomworld and that Doomworld would probably become independent. But he said there would be a re-direct to the new site when it happened, and I didn't think it would happen this soon.

Or maybe the site is just broken. I don't know....

EDIT: It seems the site is cached, so I took a screenshot of the post:

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-25%20at%203.41.40%20AM_zps9qwrcmmr.png

Finally watched the alpha footage that was posted. Looks like originally the textures were meant for a certain kind of archetectural coherency (that ends up resembling something like Blake Stone) in mind but after awhile they opted to focus more on layout complexity and verticality instead of easily identifiable settings.

Also interesting was that some textures looked strangely stretched, like it was either a bug or a way to deliberately shake up repetition. Also noticing that the half tubes protruding from the shiny wall make that texture work better (though they likely ditched doing stuff like that to keep linedef counts lower).

Docpan

Can someone halp?

I want to play Brutal Doom on a 360 controller.

What, specifically, do I need to download and run to be able to do this?

Is there an existing profile to use to be able to do all this?

I have the entire Doom Collection on steam.

Plz halp.

Raptomex

Can someone halp?

I want to play Brutal Doom on a 360 controller.

What, specifically, do I need to download and run to be able to do this?

Is there an existing profile to use to be able to do all this?

I have the entire Doom Collection on steam.

Plz halp.
I THINK one of the source ports supports controllers. I'm pretty sure I've used one and played with a 360 controller. Although, it may be the Doomsday engine and if that's correct I don't think it supports BD. But I was certain I played BD with a controller somehow.

lazygecko

Doom weapons in Heretic

Such a simple idea I can't believe this hadn't been done earlier. Video is from 2013 but apparently this mod still isn't released :-/

I remember when I was a child a classmate told me that Heretic was a Doom sequel that took place hundreds of years after the demons had taken over.

On the upside, TerminusEst13 went on to make DemonSteele, which is widely considered very, very awesome (and just got an update shortly before 2015 ended don't ya know).

(...although I preferred Samsara.)

What are some good recent (made in the last 2-3 years) map packs that change up the enemies a bit?

Valiant from last summer has some modified enemies and some new ones. Off the top of my head, all imps throw faster fireballs in bursts now, sometimes arachnotrons become Duke Nukem arachnotrons on death, suicide bombing zombies... It's a great set of maps too, well worth playing even if it didn't have modded enemies.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just completed DOOM II in Brutal DOOM on Black Metal skill. (+50% damage, faster enemies) I had finished DOOM Episodes 1, 2 and 3 a few days before starting DOOM II. Maybe I should try Episode 4 again. I've never been able to get very far at all in that episode even without Brutal DOOM.

Still wasn't hard enough. Need more challenge.

I've played them all so many times I know exactly where almost every enemy is going to be.

Final level of DOOM 2 can be cheesed by simply climbing to the top floor in front of the elevator raising switch and aiming a rocket launcher directly at the opening and firing off a dozen or so rockets while hoping the spawned enemies take their sweet time. (You'll have 200% HP and armor at this point so you've got time.) It's probably the only way to actually complete that level on a skill with enemies that fire twice as fast and instantly as soon as they see you. (Barely any warmup time before firing.) Don't know why I ever thought of that before. Obviously you can't do it in Vanilla because you can't aim upwards and they design it so the hole is too high or too low to every platform. (In the original you have to kill it by riding the elevator up and timing your rockets. If you miss you have to lower it and wait for it to raise again and try again.)

Trying out DOOM 2 The Way ID Did as well but it doesn't seem to have enough health or ammo scattered around.

lazygecko

I thought he said he wouldn't do any new maps cause the talent of the community long since surpassed him, and he couldn't live up to such expectations.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I thought he said he wouldn't do any new maps cause the talent of the community long since surpassed him, and he couldn't live up to such expectations.
Looks like he had more in him than he thought. I don't expect him to get back into it, but it's really cool to get something like this out of the blue after so many years.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Well, it does seem like it might be leading to something.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-01-15-john-romero-releases-his-first-doom-level-in-21-years

Jeffrey Matulef said:
He also referred to this new stage "a warm-up", which corroborates a statement he made a year-and-a-half ago about working on a new shooter.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Okay, I feel like a complete fucking idiot asking this: I downloaded the wad file, I drag and drop it onto the GZdoom.exe file, I've selected Doom 1 and Doom 2 and I cannot play this wad.
It's Episode 1, Level 8 of DOOM. Unless you warp to it you won't find it.

Anybody else playing through the latest version of Brutal Doom's map pack? Pretty good so far but then I am a sucker for BD, so a map pack made especially for it was always going to be good to me.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
they seem like normal midis to me.
Neither VLC or QuickTime X will play them. But apparently they play in QuickTime 7. I guess that's a good reason I keep 7 around even though until now I've never had to launch it. I'm more surprised about VLC not being able to play them though. That thing can play anything. Except MIDI?

Is MIDI really that obsolete that such a simple format is completely ignored by modern media players? So weird. I guess it's been a really long time since I had to play a MIDI file.

But I digress. These are pretty neat. Amazing what a pitch shift can do. It reminds me of Rainbow Disconnection.

Refyref

Neither VLC or QuickTime X will play them. But apparently they play in QuickTime 7. I guess that's a good reason I keep 7 around even though until now I've never had to launch it. I'm more surprised about VLC not being able to play them though. That thing can play anything. Except MIDI?

Is MIDI really that obsolete that such a simple format is completely ignored by modern media players? So weird. I guess it's been a really long time since I had to play a MIDI file.

But I digress. These are pretty neat. Amazing what a pitch shift can do. It reminds me of Rainbow Disconnection.

Windows Media Player plays them just fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

luka

Loves Robotech S1

since ms removed midi mapper functionality in the last few versions of windows, a lot of software might have to be specifically configured to use whatever synth you have.

on a related note, has anyone managed to get chocolate doom's GUS emulation working in win10?

Top Bottom