• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Review Thread - The Fury Road of Shooters

The Flash

Banned
From the official Doom Twitter account
UXorlrP.png

VerifiableWellmadeChickadee.gif

Please note that since Bethesda did not send out review copies before launch most publications have not had time to write theirs yet. This thread will be updated as more reviews become available. In the mean time I highly recommend checking out the Official Thread for some very well thought out posts. Please feel free to post a link to a review below.

REVIEWS

Giant Bomb
- WRITTEN
- 5/5

Jim Sterling
- WRITTEN
- 9/10

Destructoid
- WRITTEN
- 9/10

PCGamer
- WRITTEN
- 88/100

GamesRadar
- WRITTEN
- 5/5

Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- WRITTEN
- SINGLE PLAYER REVIEW
- "Propulsive, thrilling and breathless, DOOM is the triumph I never expected. I just can’t see there being a better shooter this year, I really can’t."

Eurogamer
- WRITTEN
- RECOMMENDED
- "Capacious, beautiful, brainy and barbaric, Doom's return could be this year's most unexpected triumph, largely because it's the work of people who understand that every reboot is a work of both love and hatred, in which creators fight against the pull of the subject matter. It's not enough to summon and confront the devil. You also have to exorcise the creature, to put the past firmly in its place. The Doom of 2016 hasn't rendered the Doom of 1993 surplus to requirements - that would take sorcery indeed - but id has finally managed to escape its gravity."

Ars Technica
- WRITTEN
- "Buy it and remember what first-person shooters used to be like—and enjoy the modern coat of paint."

VG 24/7
- WRITTEN
- "Doom’s campaign is incredible, a pure shooter made by people who live to make pure shooters. This is a game whose sole purpose is to describe hardcore, gun-based combat between you and the worst Hell has to offer. It’s heavy, dirty, beautiful, thrilling. You will finish encounters and realize you haven’t breathed for thirty seconds. You wanted brutal, and here it is. I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t want to beat it."

Kotaku
- WRITTEN
- "id has steeped itself in the Doom games of the past to make this new Doom, drawing out the speed, freedom of movement, and bewildering number of enemies that has always made Doom so intense. But in looking back to the past, the developer has made something that feels thoroughly modern, rather than weighed down by nostalgia. There is no other game I can turn to that will let me leap about a roomful of demons, firing a satisfyingly chunky assault rifle into the throng as beasts disintegrate into a bloody pulp. It sets my heart racing in a way that not even the original Doom managed."

International Business Times
- WRITTEN
- 5/5

LazyGamer.net
- WRITTEN
- 9/10

TechRaptor
- 9/10

Gamechup
- WRITTEN
- 9.5/10

Gadgets360
- WRITTEN
- 9/10

GamingBolt
- VIDEO
- 9/10

Dreamcastguy
-VIDEO
- 9/10

PlayStation Universe
- WRITTEN
- 9/10

QuickBaby
- VIDEO
- "I'd give it an 8 or 9"

LevelCapGaming
- VIDEO
- SINGLE PLAYER - 9/10
- MULTIPLAYER - 5/10

ACG
- VIDEO
- BUY
- Out of a possible score of "Buy, Wait for Sale, Rent, or Never Touch"

Worth a Buy
- VIDEO
- YES

Gggmanlives
- VIDEO
- AUSSIE
- Overall Thoughts: Loves it

Lazy Game Reviews
- VIDEO
- "I would absolutely recommend it for the campaign experience alone. It's a premium flavor of silly fun paired with worthwhile gameplay that only comes along every so often these days which makes this new Doom an event worth savoring".

GameInformer
- WRITTEN

Polygon
- WRITTEN
- 8.5/10

Gamesweasel
- VIDEO
- 8.5/10

GameRant
- WRITTEN
- 4/5

Gamespot
- WRITTEN
- 8/10

Videogamer
- WRITTEN
- 8/10

PCWorld
- WRITTEN
- 4/5

HardcoreGamer
- WRITTEN
- 4/5

We Got This Covered
- WRITTEN
- 4/5

Time
- WRITTEN
- 4/5

Play3.DE
- WRITTEN
- GERMAN
- 8.5 /10

GamesGlobal.de
- WRITTEN
- GERMAN
- 8.5/10

Gamer.no
- WRITTEN
- NORWEGIAN
- 8/10

The Guardian
- WRITTEN
- 4/5

Attack of the Fanboy
- WRITTEN
- 4/5

Independent
- WRITTEN
- 4/5

PlayStationLifeStyle
- WRITTEN
- 8/10

IGN
- VIDEO
- 7.1/10

Metro
- WRITTEN
- 7/10

Gamekult
- WRITTEN
- FRENCH
- 7/10 + Editor's choice

Slant
- WRITTEN
- 3/5

Digitally Downloaded
- WRITTEN
- 5/10

Polygon
-
doom3copy3bsdp.jpg

- credit to DieH@rd

NEOGAF MEMBER REVIEWS

DryvBy
- WRITTEN
- Overall Thoughts: Amazing

get2sammyb - Push Square
- VIDEO
- "It's pretty frickin' rad"

RichGS - Gamespew
- WRITTEN
- 10/10

winstano - Next Gen Gaming Blog
- WRITTEN
- 9/10

Shancake -Press Start Australia
- WRITTEN

STEAM METRIC
- OVERALL: Very Positive (9,647 reviews)

IMPRESSIONS

Jim Sterling
- VIDEO
- Overall Thoughts: Likes it and is pleasantly surprised

TotalBiscuit
- VIDEO
- 20 minute video of him gushing over the campaign

Noah Gervais
- VIDEO
- How Does The New DOOM Compare to Previous Dooms? [Spoilers]

Giant Bomb Quick Look
- VIDEO
- Length 1:04:54
-
RtGR74q.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Snaku
God fucking damn. This is the Fury Road of shooters. Rip and tear!

ramshot
Holy crap.

To emphasize what this game is to me, a little about myself: I'm 35 years old. My first ever PC game was Wolfenstein, and DOOM followed soon after. I played a lot of it, both solo and with my friends over modem. Then came Quake, the internet and things moved online, but I always played the high paced, straight forward shooters. That's what defined me as a gamer, and continues to do so.

Straight forward, fast paced, skill based twitch shooters pretty much died when tech reached the point where semi-realism became viable, and such games took off. Don't get me wrong, I love Far Cry 3 for example, but the subgenre that DOOM stands for pretty much died off, with few exceptions like Bulletstorm or Serious Sam, which were good, but not great. I wasn't sure the days of me jumping around firing rockets, chainsawing enemies and flying around using jump pads would ever come back, at least not in any solid, modernized form. Heck, I wasn't even sure it would work anymore, even for me.

But here we are... THIS is the game I've been waiting for for the last 10 years.

This game fucking sings. Each and every design decision in it support one or both of the two things that matter: The gameplay and the atmosphere. It gives me the type of rush I haven't gotten from a game in years. 30 minutes after starting I was jumping around and blasting demons in the face with a shotgun like the past 10+ years of my life had never happened. I was back in my youth, playing a game that doesn't try to hook you through anything else than being fun to play.

I have to tear myself away from this game. The way they've managed to bring modern game design paradigms into the mix with all the upgrades, without taking away from the straight forward aspect of the gameplay, is impressive as hell. All the weapons feel right, all the skills feel right. It feels new and just like DOOM at the same time. So fast, so fierce, and so precise. Compared to other recent games, I feel like I am one with the controls, I don't even register using a mouse and a keyboard... what I wish to happen just happens. It's an amazing feeling having after such a long time away from it. Game also looks pretty, and runs near-perfect.

And I'm still pretty good at it, too! Whenever I get near death, the adrenaline kicks in and I let my instincts take over, and it's like I'm 15 years old again, taking out enemies at a pace that will make a sidestander wonder what the hell is even happening on my screen. It really is a shame that so many people will be experiencing this with a gamepad. I am not in a "team" when it comes to gaming, I have consoles and I have the PC, but this sure as shit is one game you want to play with m+kb. I wouldn't play a soccer game or fighter with a keyboard, and just the same, I wouldn't play this with a gamepad.

10/10. GOTY. id software just resurrected from the dead and jumped straight onto my AAA developer list that really isn't long. Good lord what a surprise.

Hype over. Buy this game. We need more games like these.

Thanks to the Perfect Dark for some of the links

ac6.gif

GVA1987

I'm loving this game. Blew my expectations away. Was a bit worried but glad to be wrong. I can't see this getting huge scores but hopefully that won't turn people off it.

nOoblet16

Doomguy is back, he is angry, he wants to kill and he won't hear any of your shit.
That's all anyone needs to know about this game.

Jay Seven

Banned
I knew the GOTY was coming out this month. I just didn't know it would be a tight race between two FPS titles for the distinction.

Nokterian

God fucking damn. This is the Fury Road of shooters. Rip and tear!

giphy.gif

Witness ME!

I adore this game being skeptical as fuck the whole year it removed everything after nvidia showed it outside of bethesda.

RowdyReverb

I wonder if reviewers who were active in game journalism during the heyday of Doom clones will be more critical of the game.

Xater

I feel like it shouldn't be docked points for MP.

Just pretend it's a SP only game like Wolfenstein was.

Yup, it feels tacked on and just doesn't convey the flow of the campaign at all. Instead of that MP and a season pass for it I'd rather see id do an expansion like the Wolfenstein guys did. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Frozone

I haven't played much of the game but it already feels like a 9/10. Too bad, I don't think it will average anywhere near that score. Game is very well made and extremely fun and good looking!

Kathian

Banned
This is a great game. I'd maybe have it a little faster but you never feel beat when you die; just that you need to come back and try something else or try the other route you identified.

Zackat

I didn't even buy this game. Only played it because my brother bought it for PS4. It is seriously fun and if you love FPS you should play it. I will be getting it on PC sometime soon because if it is this good with a PS4 controller I can only imagine with a M+KB.

Whoever thought releasing a beta of that awful multiplayer instead of a short singleplayer demo was a good idea is a moron. The beta completely turned me off the game. I wasn't even gonna buy it till I saw Nvidia's campaign footage. Horrid promotion, Bethesda.

Whoever thought releasing a beta of that awful multiplayer instead of a short singleplayer demo was a good idea is a moron. The beta completely turned me off the game. I wasn't even gonna buy it till I saw Nvidia's campaign footage. Horrid promotion, Bethesda.

yup. a lot of us had no interest until that pc footage.

Top Bottom