• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Review Thread - The Fury Road of Shooters

Curious of what Romero or Carmack think of this reboot. I thought I heard Carmack was working on Snap Map before he left.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he was directly involved with a lot of the ideas in this game. Probably started coding IdTech6 himself, like he did with 5.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I haven't seen Razorback. But Road Games is a classic. A lot more suspenseful than I initially expected, because I thought I'd be watching a Duel ripoff.

Impeccable taste good sir! It truly is a classic. Razorback is more of a cheesy creature feature, but I love it dearly none the less.

teokrazia

nillapuddin

Probably lttp

But, I hope this isn't true

ED972ft.jpg

From what I've played and seen it looks awesome

nillapuddin

It is unfortunately

Maybe put it in quotes. It's super big.

Oops! Quoted it (posted from mobile and couldn't tell)

That is unreal, I hadn't even bothered to look at reviews cause I was just assuming they were all great. I hadn't seen anything to make me think otherwise, that's ridiculous.

This might seem wrong but i hope they get called out for that big time

Neiteio

I actually though you meant Doom
Ha, no, I was referring to UC4 as "Automatic Ledge Grab Simulator 2016." It was only afterward that I realized DOOM grabs ledges automatically, as well, but it's not a huge part of the "exploration" like in UC4.

To be clear, though, I really love UC4. It will no doubt go down as one of my favorite games. It's just that I'm generally one to champion gameplay, and in that respect DOOM is the clear winner for me.

Santar

8 from Gamespot

Now I'm not one to normally give much of a crap about review scores, but I really enjoy Doom. I think it's one of the best fps shooters in a long long time, truly a worthy successor to the series.
And for the sake of showing the gaming industry that we actually want more great gameplay focused games I'm really hoping Doom does well.

I was listening to Gamespots live podcast yesterday and they were all just gushing about the game. Then some hours later the review came out and I must admit it was a bit disappointing to see they just gave it an 8. It sounded like everybody there really really loved it on the podcast.

I just hope Bethesda doesn't take the !not 9 and 10 review scores" as a sign that people don't want games like Doom and we never get any more like it.
Imagine if Doom got glowing scores across the board and we got a new wave of gameplay focused fps games, one can dream...

8 from Gamespot

Now I'm not one to normally give much of a crap about review scores, but I really enjoy Doom. I think it's one of the best fps shooters in a long long time, truly a worthy successor to the series.
And for the sake of showing the gaming industry that we actually want more great gameplay focused games I'm really hoping Doom does well.

I was listening to Gamespots live podcast yesterday and they were all just gushing about the game. Then some hours later the review came out and I must admit it was a bit disappointing to see they just gave it an 8. It sounded like everybody there really really loved it on the podcast.

I just hope Bethesda doesn't take the !not 9 and 10 review scores" as a sign that people don't want games like Doom and we never get any more like it.
Imagine if Doom got glowing scores across the board and we got a new wave of gameplay focused fps games, one can dream...

8 is a great score :\

dlauv

8 from Gamespot

I'm sure their product analysts are paying attention to the contents of the reviews, not only the score.

In nearly all reviews, details concerning the campaign are mostly glowing and the critiques are fairly minor.

My concern is that a low 80 on metacritic doesn't sway people away from a game that already has less marketing appeal than it used to.

Santar

8 is a great score :\

Of course it is, I know this, but for a lot of the more casual players out there only 9's and 10's count it seems. I'm absolutely not saying there's anything wrong with the review. I just wish it was higher for Doom's sake.

I'm sure their product analysts are paying attention to the contents of the reviews, not only the score.

In nearly all reviews, details concerning the campaign are mostly glowing and the critiques are fairly minor.

My concern is that a low 80 on metacritic doesn't sway people away from a game that already has less marketing appeal than it used to.

Well, wasn't it Bethesda who refused to pay out bonuses to the New Vegas devs if the metacritic was under 9 or 8 or something? I wouldn't be too sure :p

AJ_Wings

I think this game will be carried by word of mouth for years to come. Players and youtubers/streamers impressions are almost universally glowing. I really hope it all translates to high sales so that we can get more of these types of shooters from publishers in the future.

Mutombo

haha. Luckily i'm not the first to reply to this. But a 7, or an 8, basically says: it's a shooter. You shoot things and it's fun to shoot things. Apparently, people are loving doom because Doom made it clear that for the past decade we've had to do with mostly cover shooters.

I get it. Doom is 'pure'. It's fun. But You can't fault reviewers for saying that doing something old-skool is not an evolution, or a revolution, in gameplay.

I get it. Doom is 'pure'. It's fun. But You can't fault reviewers for saying that doing something old-skool is not an evolution, or a revolution, in gameplay.

"Old-school" is inherently reactionary to "modern" but what's extremely unique about DOOM is that it seamlessly meshes the old-school run and gun gameplay with extremely modern shooter elements. It's both old-school and modern at the same time and it never feels like these aspects of the design are ever fighting against each other.

The problem is making a game like Doom requires a lot of hard work and thought out design compared to copy pasting regen health nonsense with literally one enemy variant. The trend is driven more by people buying all of these garbage shooters than the review scores.

d3vnull

Shadow Warrior reboot did not sell/review that great and got a sequel so I'll be damned if Doom doesn't get one.

P.S.: I loved SW, but I love Doom even more.

Shadow Warrior reboot did not sell/review that great and got a sequel so I'll be damned if Doom doesn't get one.

P.S.: I loved SW, but I love Doom even more.

Shadow Warrior sold ok. Granted, I'm guessing a lot of those sales came when the game was vastly discounted, but it didn't appear like it was a bomb or anything.

http://steamspy.com/app/233130

Doom will definitely outsell Shadow Warrior, so I'd say there's a good chance we'll get a sequel, unless Id chooses not to make a sequel.

I think this game will be carried by word of mouth for years to come. Players and youtubers/streamers impressions are almost universally glowing. I really hope it all translates to high sales so that we can get more of these types of shooters from publishers in the future.

Yeah I hope this will happen to. So much negativity in the build up to release must have hurt in the short term but with word-of-mouth and highly positive feedback from people and (most) reviews I am hoping the game has legs.

More games like this would be most welcome.

Gamekult: 7/10 + Editor's choice

GOOD
  • Brutal, explosive, visceral
  • SnapMap is as powerful as it's practical
  • Weapons feel great
  • FOV extensible to 110
  • Turn your brain off and here we go
  • Twice as many frames per second as Uncharted 4
BAD
  • Generic and dull multiplayer
  • Second half of solo mode is a failure
  • Takedown mechanics is useless and a handicap
  • Longish loading times
  • Textures appear at the last moment

legbone

I'm hoping Uncharted will be over soon, because I need to dig in to this.

yep. i'm playing both at the moment. i'm sorry, and i know it's an opinion, but doom is the better game. but that may be due to the fact that i'm a 41 year old fart and doom 64 (didn't have a pc, sorry) is one of my favorite games of all time. anyway, uncharted is a nice change of pace when i feel like relaxing after ripping shit up in doom.

antitrop

End of the game is considerably better than the beginning, no idea what that reviewer is on about. The best encounters in the game were at the end, where they fully expect you to have gotten good at the game and give you the chance to show that off.

My heart rate was through the roof after those encounters and I had to put a lot of thought and effort into clearing them on Ultra-Violence. I don't agree that it's a game where you have to turn your brain off, either.

haha. Luckily i'm not the first to reply to this. But a 7, or an 8, basically says: it's a shooter. You shoot things and it's fun to shoot things. Apparently, people are loving doom because Doom made it clear that for the past decade we've had to do with mostly cover shooters.

It is an evolution.

The shooter genre had been taking steps backwards forever. Moving to "old school" is a technical step forward in design. We need to keep moving in this direction.

With DOOM, I like to pretend we are in an alternate timeline, a fork where the past zillion shooters never happened and here we are, late, but we are here now. Here's hoping we keep pushing.

KORNdoggy

"Second half is a failure"? That must be some funky translation.

either that or they mean that by the second half they had their fill of the "ripping and the tearing"?

i mean, i really enjoyed the latest wolfenstein, but i'd be lying if i said it's base gameplay didn't get a bit stale by the mid point. games like this, while fun, do need some variety thrown in...and no developers...that doesn't mean an on-rails turret section. lol

marrec

Banned
either that or they mean that by the second half they had their fill of the "ripping and the tearing"?

i mean, i really enjoyed the latest wolfenstein, but i'd be lying if i said it's base gameplay didn't get a bit stale by the mid point. games like this, while fun, do need some variety thrown in...and no developers...that doesn't mean an on-rails turret section. lol

One of the good things about DOOM is how it continually ramps up the complexity of the encounters to match your increasing arsenal and "powers".

A lot of games don't seem to do this. They either just throw more enemies at you, or harder versions of enemies at you.

That is unreal, I hadn't even bothered to look at reviews cause I was just assuming they were all great. I hadn't seen anything to make me think otherwise, that's ridiculous.

Your a joke. lol

Can't wait to see sales for this game and how they either fly against or are inline with reviewer recommendations.

I hope good games can thrive despite flawed review systems, but I'm afraid to find out they might not.

I love reviews, they're entertaining to me, but I don't want them to affect buying decisions as much as they used to.

Momentary

Banned
Second half of the game was intense man. I can't speak for low end difficulties.

Gun cancelling is the best mechanic ever! You can even set 2 weapons to cancel with one another by switching out two weapons you want or using the radial wheel to select two different weapons then you can just tap "q" on the keyboard to change weapons on the fly. I use a Gauss + Supershot combo, so it completely skips the reload animation while allowing me to dig some Graves with the cannon. When you switch back to the Super Shotgun it's already reloaded man! GOD DAMN this game can't be touched in gun mechanics.

Gun mechanics and synergy in this game is deeper than anything I've player in a single player campaign.

rtcn63

I'm at like mission six. It's a really good to great game depending on how much you enjoy the gun play and encounter style. If you grew up on more recent shooters (think Modern Warfare), your interest may begin to wane halfway through the campaign or so.

Zaptruder

Banned
End of the game is considerably better than the beginning, no idea what that reviewer is on about. The best encounters in the game were at the end, where they fully expect you to have gotten good at the game and give you the chance to show that off.

My heart rate was through the roof after those encounters and I had to put a lot of thought and effort into clearing them on Ultra-Violence. I don't agree that it's a game where you have to turn your brain off, either.

Some of those encounters just straight up troll you though.

Especially the one near the end (I think, haven't finished the game yet) that starts by sending you down a corridor with a bunch of zombies, then sends up two pinkies, then an egg sac/portal thingy that drops a flood of heavy hitters on you that end with two cyber mancubus...

Only to fake end and drop two more barons of hell on top of you when you go for the elevator shaft. Had to replay that shit 20-30 times just so I could see the barons twice and fuck them up with the BFG the second time around.

Otherwise highly enjoyable.

dlauv

Some of those encounters just straight up troll you though.

Especially the one near the end (I think, haven't finished the game yet) that starts by sending you down a corridor with a bunch of zombies, then sends up two pinkies, then an egg sac/portal thingy that drops a flood of heavy hitters on you that end with two cyber mancubus...

Only to fake end and drop two more barons of hell on top of you when you go for the elevator shaft. Had to replay that shit 20-30 times just so I could see the barons twice and fuck them up with the BFG the second time around.

Otherwise highly enjoyable.

That was easy as hell. Like, way too easy. On Ultra Violence. With a controller. You have more than enough ammo and firepower by that point. If I had a complaint about the game, it's that nothing really competes with one of the final
Lazarus
or
Vega
encounters.

I understand that some things that are easy to some players are hard to others, but the point I'm trying to make is that it wasn't a fundamentally poorly designed encounter. In fact, it's kind of tame.

Really hoping this thing sells, because it is fucking incredible. My only complaint is that the weapons could have felt a little more and sounded a little more visceral. But it is a minor complaint, since what is there does suit the speedy and versatile nature of the gameplay. It is also beautiful to look at and it runs - very - well. Quite an achievement this game. Hope it gets the recognition it deserves.

Also, I don't usually bitch about review scores, but for this game I will make an exception. Those 7s and (low) 8s are missing the mark by a wide margin if you ask me (and I hope they don't negatively impact the sales).

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Wait, I somehow missed this part. You lose me here, JC: The "variety" in UC4 is walking up to an edge and pressing forward and X to auto-platform for like 20 minutes at a time, with the occasional puzzle you solve once and won't have to think about again on subsequent play-throughs, and wonderful firefights that are all too rare. The bulk of your time is spent climbing, though, and that's a fairly mindless affair, carried largely by witty banter and breathtaking vistas.

DOOM repeats its gameplay loop ad nauseum, but it's a FUN loop. I much prefer 20 minutes of enemy waves with a rock-solid gameplay foundation, mixed with intermittent but high-speed exploration, to 20 minutes of climbing linear pathways with the illusion of exploration, punctuated by the occasional firefight, one-off puzzle or vehicle section.

But again, I haven't finished UC4, either. So you're in a better position to say!

I've played UC4 for 2 hours and how you described the game is 100% wrong. All the way around.

Top Bottom