• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM running on Notepad.exe

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Perhaps the most ported game of all time, DOOM has been ported to the Apple Watch, graphics calculators, and even a pregnancy test. But the ports keep on coming, and now we even have it running on unmodified Notepad.exe on Windows 10, using ASCII graphics as a rendering engine. For reasons.

Created by developer and YouTuber Samperson, we can see the above running entirely within a Notepad window on Windows. This is running with zero modifications to the Notepad executable, and is fully playable. Samperson says he plans to release NotepadDOOM in the coming days, too.

fatmarco

Still better than cloud gaming.
I mean I sort of would have agreed with you prior to using cloud gaming, but have you tried Cloud gaming at all?

It's a pretty good tool for a lot of games on game pass for example.

GHG

I mean I sort of would have agreed with you prior to using cloud gaming, but have you tried Cloud gaming at all?

Yes I have and no thanks. But nice try.

Sadness Always Be Closing GIF by Corporate Bro

stranno

Unmodified Notepad because, of course, Doom is not running on the Notepad itself. It is probably running on a regular Doom source engine and rendering the image into the memory chunk where Notepad stores de text.

Long story of "Doom running on this thing because it is actually not running on this thing".

Last edited:
Unmodified Notepad because, of course, Doom is not running on the Notepad itself. It is probably running on a regular Doom source engine and rendering the image into the memory chunk where Notepad stores de text.

Long story of "Doom running on this thing because it is actually not running on this thing".
Really? So this is nothing more than rendering it to Notepad then Printing it out each frame as a giant Flipbook?

nkarafo

Perhaps the most ported game of all time, DOOM has been ported to the Apple Watch, graphics calculators, and even a pregnancy test.

Many of them not being DOOM ports at all though.

This whole "DOOM runs on anything" is sometimes not the case. Like how they managed to port DOOM on the NES but in reality it runs on a FPGA chip inside the NES cart and doesn't really use the NES hardware other than the video output.

Or other times it's not even DOOM but something using an engine similar to Wolfenstein 3D with DOOM sprites shoved in.

Last edited:

tygertrip

You can always count on someone to take a joke completely seriously. I mean no offense, I've done the same before!

UnNamed

Banned
IF we consider the "platforms" only, so OS+Architecture, Doom doesn't run on so many platform, since many of them are just Win+X86. In this case I think Prince of Persia has more ports than Doom.

Last edited:

Perhaps the most ported game of all time, DOOM has been ported to the Apple Watch, graphics calculators, and even a pregnancy test. But the ports keep on coming, and now we even have it running on unmodified Notepad.exe on Windows 10, using ASCII graphics as a rendering engine. For reasons.

Created by developer and YouTuber Samperson, we can see the above running entirely within a Notepad window on Windows. This is running with zero modifications to the Notepad executable, and is fully playable. Samperson says he plans to release NotepadDOOM in the coming days, too.

Speaking as someone who writes code, this is legit impressive

Top Bottom