• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM: Switch Edition |OT|- Rip & tear anytime, anywhere

Experien

Controls feel funny to me in portable mode, like the joycons aren't made for FPS (maybe I am so used to PS4 layout). Playing docked with Pro is a little better but not sure if I like it on the Switch. Feels like Unreal but the textures won't ever load, ha.

AndTAR

Controls feel funny to me in portable mode, like the joycons aren't made for FPS (maybe I am so used to PS4 layout). Playing docked with Pro is a little better but not sure if I like it on the Switch. Feels like Unreal but the textures won't ever load, ha.
.. Haha, great comparison - I actually kind of like the image quality, for some reason (perhaps the "muddy" look kind of goes along with the graphics fidelity), but I'll never unsee this comparison now. Lol.

I was actually also surprised with Joy-con controls, for some reason - I basically expected Joy-con sticks to be completely useless in this FPS game, but apparently I am positively surprised. It might just be because I assumed an enormous level of pessimism, in an effort to force myself to be positively surprised - lol. I guess the various aim assist features are also helping a bit, though.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
For those of you playing undocked, is it really that much worse than docked mode? I mainly play my Switch in handheld mode so I'd like it if anyone with experience would weigh in.

I almost never dock my switch (200+ hours of BOTW in handheld) so playing DOOM feels pretty nice and looks great as well. I played about 20 hours on my Xbox One and in comparison to that, the Switch version really feels good. Does it hold up to the scrutiny of pixels and frame rate side by sides? Not at all, however once you realize you are playing a fully intact portable version of an XboxOne/PS4 game makes the game even more impressive and slightly more enjoyable. The fact that this game even exist is a testament to ID Tech 6 and it's awesome scalability.

To be fair I've been rock solid with graphics since PS2/Gamecube/XboX so I might not be the one to judge with dispassion (although I'm getting a and XBX so go figure)

Rayis

I personally like how it looks better docked than undocked, perhaps my TV has a good upscaler or something.

I personally like how it looks better docked than undocked, perhaps my TV has a good upscaler or something.

I agree, it looks great to me docked. It is my preferable way of playing it but I am still amazed by it in portable mode, it's a great way to chill in bed.

Sonic Mania sucks

latest

Rayis

The MP is actually very fun! even though it gets super blurry (more than usual) and shiz to maintain performance in portable mode (things gets pretty hectic) it's still incredibly fun and scratches an itch not present on the Switch until now.

Portugeezer

Controls feel bad in portable, joyous are too straight and analogue and trigger too far apart. I guess I will get used to it.

czk51

Trying multiplayer: Has anyone been able to connect via mobile hotspot? Was curious to see if I could sneak in a match from work. I can connect to the network but during match making i get 'cannot connect to the other console' or something similar. Not expecting the best performance but just wondering. No problem on home wifi. Edit: NAT is F when running a wifi test. Apparently this might not work so well / not be able to connect for gaming.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I wonder if it worked and how much impacted performance.

It does impact performance as you will have more objects to load and render (hence when the Order 1886 was rendering in true ultra widescreen they were saving on one side and spending a lot on the other).

Vitacat

Still absolutely loving this game on Switch. Have played a decent amount in both docked and undocked, with joycon and pro controller. Played on an airplane, in a hotel room, and at home. No real problems. I almost didn't buy this because I have it on PC, but so glad I did. It feels magical on Switch; like I'm playing a game that shouldn't be possible but here it is. So good.

IMO the only "bad" thing is the pricing. I fear a lot of people will not buy this version b cause they compare it to other versions, and it's hard not to notice that you can buy higher performance versions for much less money, I.e. I bought the PC version for $10! IMO this Doom port should've been maybe $39.99. Same for Skyrim.

I'm gonna gues no, but does mp have voice chat or a party system? Man nintendo needs to step up their game with this. Unless I can actually communicate with friends via messaging on teh system and an actual voice chat I can use on a headset attached to the console, I'm not buying the $20 a year subscription.

Nategc20

Banned
Multiplayer is really great in portable mode. I feel like this is an achievement within it's self that we are playing full blown team deathmatch on the train.

Still absolutely loving this game on Switch. Have played a decent amount in both docked and undocked, with joycon and pro controller. Played on an airplane, in a hotel room, and at home. No real problems. I almost didn't buy this because I have it on PC, but so glad I did. It feels magical on Switch; like I'm playing a game that shouldn't be possible but here it is. So good.

IMO the only "bad" thing is the pricing. I fear a lot of people will not buy this version b cause they compare it to other versions, and it's hard not to notice that you can buy higher performance versions for much less money, I.e. I bought the PC version for $10! IMO this Doom port should've been maybe $39.99. Same for Skyrim.

This is how I feel about the game. been doing about one campaign mission a day, and it really does still feel magical playing it on the Switch. Docked mode is fine for me too - it's not a graphical revelation (though floor reflections are far better - I'll post some screenshots at some point) but it's nice to be able to get back, and finish off the level on the TV.

Same with multiplayer, which I have played while sitting on the throne...

MDave

Multiplayer reminds me of Halo 1/2 deathmatches in the smaller maps, its great fun and great to practice with bots too to learn the maps and weapons.

Have continued playing this docked and pro controller. I've had a lot of fun, it's been a great experience. Haven't noticed any substantial frame drops that would hinder the experience. Haven't played multiplayer online yet so I'm looking forward to that.

I never played the game before, I just got to Kadingir Sanctum. Having a blast, it's amazing how much the soundtrack adds to this game :p loving it.

Other than resolution the only other difference in docked mode is superior reflections. I'm surprised digital foundry didn't pick up on this as it's really obvious in some environments when you switch between the two modes. But if you don't you probably won't notice it.

There are still light reflections in undocked mode but it's not environment based from what I've seen, so you won't see ceiling lights accurately shown on the ground unless you're docked:

vXEm4CS.jpg

VVHL368.jpg

DwhzHBI.jpg

5l55ok6.jpg

Giant Robo

Neo Member
Played through PC version on with max setting last year, still having a lot of fun playing through the Switch version!

Other than resolution the only other difference in docked mode is superior reflections. I'm surprised digital foundry didn't pick up on this as it's really obvious in some environments when you switch between the two modes. But if you don't you probably won't notice it.

There are still light reflections in undocked mode but it's not environment based from what I've seen, so you won't see ceiling lights accurately shown on the ground unless you're docked:

vXEm4CS.jpg

VVHL368.jpg

DwhzHBI.jpg

5l55ok6.jpg

Some rooms are transformed by the reflections:

5TIxAV9.jpg

e16jioC.jpg
Good job noticing this detail. Indeed Digital Foundry didn't pick this feature up and a shame John seems to not post here any longer, didn't think he was the "political" type.

i haven't seen those pictured places runing on the Switch, so going by screenshots is not enough to properly judge. What type of reflections are these exactly?

i ask because in the second set of comparisons i see one of the pipes has an specular component added. So im wondering if they are just a cube/environment map texture tricks or is it a real time screen space effect.

That's debatable. The Dual Shock, Xbox and Pro controllers aren't made for FPS either since analog thumbsticks are not a precise nor very inmersive pointing method.

Joycons on the other hand feature motion sensors which are more precise for poitning and they allow a far greater freedom of movement. So they are not as dependant of thumbstick quality as the other controllers are for aiming.

czk51

This game is amazing, can't stop playing. Super satisfied with the performance so far both campaign and online. Once I've finished the campaign I'll give Arcade mode a playthrough as it looks like great fun.

nikatapi

Got the game yesterday. Plays fine, even though it looks blurry on portable mode. To be honest i was expecting it to be a little more sharp. Also it makes the need for a pro controller much more apparent.

lights

My expectations weren't high but I'm a little bit disappointed how blurry everything looks on portable mode. I feel like it looks more like Black Ops Declassified on the Vita than Killzone Mercenary.

spannicus

My expectations weren't high but I'm a little bit disappointed how blurry everything looks on portable mode. I feel like it looks more like Black Ops Declassified on the Vita than Killzone Mercenary.
Honestly the farther you get in the game the better it looks to me.

Redmond Barry

Neo Member
Now I'm really interested/a little scared how 30 FPS current gen games will look and perform on the system. I imagine it won't happen too often, but at least some publishers are going to try. Guess I'll know pretty soon when Wolfenstein II hits the Switch.

czk51

I'm playing in parallel to my ps4. It does take a few minutes to adjust to the blur but within long the sense of speed kind of buries any blur.

Yagami_Sama

Oh great they updated the game. It took a while but finally the audio issues should be solved now.

Any word if they manage to improve the performance. I enjoyed my time with the game, but play on arcade mode, the performance was not that stable, the same goes for some maps on multiplayer.

And I particularly had some issues with the texts, some times was pretty hard to read.

EDarkness

I wanted gyro aiming since it was announced and they've been added, so I picked the game up tonight. Gotta do a big ass download, so I can't play until probably tomorrow. It'll all good, I'll mess around with Fire Emblem Warriors tonight.

Anyone know of any sales for this version? I can't justify dropping $60 (U.S.) on it when I picked up the XBO:X version for $15 during the holidays. $30 U.S.? Sure...but not $60.

Top Bottom