• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM: Switch Edition |OT|- Rip & tear anytime, anywhere

The Verge wrote it without any hesitation: "it looks awful on TV"... but it plays great on handheld mode, of course.

Also, I don't read anywhere the same report about audio bugs made by Nintendolife...?

I think the audio bugs were listed by Bethesda themselves in a list of known issues. From my time playing the game I haven't noticed anything.

The only bug I came across (which is listed by Bethesda as well) was in one multiplayer match: it stayed at 91% loading for a lot longer than it should have. It only happened once over more than an hour's play at least.

The "looks awful on TV" thing is weird - to me it looks the same as playing in handheld mode. The resolution bump definitely adds a lot of clarity to texturework which is missing in handheld mode, and it's just about enough to give the game the same "look" on a larger display. Which is basically, still a soft image.

Leatherface

The Verge wrote it without any hesitation: "it looks awful on TV"... but it plays great on handheld mode, of course.

Also, I don't read anywhere the same report about audio bugs made by Nintendolife...?

I wonder if they were playing on a 4K TV or 1080P? I have friends who complain about Switch on their 4K TV but on the flip side games look fantastic on my Samsung 1080P set. Scaling quality can be a big deal with a console like this, I'd imagine.

PantsuJo

I think the audio bugs were listed by Bethesda themselves in a list of known issues. From my time playing the game I haven't noticed anything.

The only bug I came across (which is listed by Bethesda as well) was in one multiplayer match: it stayed at 91% loading for a lot longer than it should have. It only happened once over more than an hour's play at least.

The "looks awful on TV" thing is weird - to me it looks the same as playing in handheld mode. The resolution bump definitely adds a lot of clarity to texturework which is missing in handheld mode, and it's just about enough to give the game the same "look" on a larger display. Which is basically, still a soft image.
This sort of bugs happen on PS4 too, for what I remember, even in SP modes. I don't even know if we can call it a bug but, yeah, loading times and loading glitches are definitely a problem of DOOM.

I wonder if they were playing on a 4K TV or 1080P? I have friends who complain about Switch on their 4K TV but on the flip side games look fantastic on my Samsung 1080P set. Scaling quality can be a big deal with a console like this, I'd imagine.

They're doing something wrong then as the switch looks great on my 4k tv as well as my 1080p Projector.

You essentially only need to pixel double to scale correctly on a 4k set

The Stig

"They are rage: brutal, without mercy. But you. You will be worse. Rip and tear, until it is done."

Just love that quote

Leatherface

They're doing something wrong then as the switch looks great on my 4k tv as well as my 1080p Projector.

You essentially only need to pixel double to scale correctly on a 4k set

scaling performance can vary from set to set. Upconverting quality can just be piss poor on some TV's.

So how well do we expect this to do? Id think around 100k lifetime. Switch gamers buy games that's for sure.

I'd say it does a lot better than that just based on the sales of some other games. DOOM is a pretty significant franchise and Nintendo is throwing a lot of attention its way as well.

I've taken and uploaded screenshots of both docked and undocked modes to give us a look at what some of the differences might be between both modes. Docked screenshots are followed by the equivalent undocked screenshot:

Comparison 1:

97bpiRv.jpg

cJ4vYAG.jpg

Counting the stair-steps on the light on both screenshots and I can confirm, at least using the vertical resolution, that the docked screenshot is 720p and the undocked screenshot sees the game running at 540p. I've had similar results with other similar situations in the game. The game likely operates at a dynamic resolution so expect 720p to be the maximum resolution when docked and 540p to be the maximum when undocked. That's higher than Snake Pass, and the temporal antialiasing does a lot to soften the image and hide any aliasing.

It's something I didn't notice in gameplay but also note that the lighting here is superior when docked - check out the pipes and player weapon.

Comparison 2:

i7cqlLO.jpg

eUX19vq.jpg

Just a general comparison here. Textures such as those on the floor and crates, and the warning sign on the pipes are clearer in docked mode due to the higher resolution. As in the other screenshots, the game is brighter undocked - a better fit for playing on the Switch's display.

czk51

Never played the game but interested in Switch version. Really interested to see how multiplayer fares - of the reviews I've watched on YT so far not many have mentioned it. From my understanding it ships with all 3 DLC packs?

czk51

Multiplayer wasn't up and running until after embargo, it was working this afternoon however. 1st hour of my previews stream was all online team death match. Worked great.

https://youtu.be/X1yMiA8HbtQ

Thanks, flicking through now. I can't explain why this didn't appeal to me on PS4 but I'm prepared to pay double for the Switch version.

I think I'm gonna go for it. Will have to figure out how to lock the game so my kid can't access it!

baphomet

While the image is really soft in portable mode, it's really impressive having Doom run this well on a handheld.

czk51

Downloading now. I didn't realize there's a multiplayer option to have bots, this is great!! Do bot matches count towards xp + unlocks?

LCGeek

formerly sane
TNO and Rage are based on the old idTech5, they would run flawlessly without any compromise.

Doom and The New Colossus are idTech6 and it's a pretty damn heavy engine to handle.
I don't think Switch can do better than this.

Regarding the Nintendolife review, they are addressing some audio problems too.

The game is barely optimized so it easily could. They spent time porting and not much else from we know. The new wolfenstein will be the test considering it's crushing cpus across any platforms its on right now.

newsguy

While the image is really soft in portable mode, it's really impressive having Doom run this well on a handheld.

Are yu playing it or basing it on the videos? I would like to know if its very soft undocked. If its too soft in gonna pass.

Really excited to play this tomorrow after work. I'm gonna stop by and pick it up.
I don't have a PS4 nor an XBone, so playing non Nintendo games is going to be swell.
Also, I have a feeling this is a homage to "old school" fps, the ones that were not in tunnels, had tons of secret, and encouraged you to explore them. I can't stand most FPSs nowadays, so I'm excited for this.

DKPOWPOW

Got lucky and found a store that had it a day early. Game is sweet and looks pretty damn good on a 1080p TV. Reminded me of when I first saw Killzone on PS4. Looking forward to playing more, been waiting for a good bloody action game on Switch.

The game looks good group...couldnt have played this on x1/ps4/pc, it looks washed, it looks bad. And of course it can run on the switch when effects,fps, and resolution is low...so the fact it can run is not impressive.
It is the best handheld version, but by far the worst one compared to everything else...but hey its mobile.

Boy bawang

Same as I don't masturbate with a wrench, I wouldn't play an FPS with a gamepad unless there is motion controls as good as Splatoon. Hopefully there will be a patch soon.
Also, the game looks suprisingly good. I would have been ok if it did look a little bit worse to target 60fps.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Yeah 60fps would have been great with some resolutions set lower but hell the fact we are getting this game mean I bet a few ports are incoming.

Oh and I am betting there is a patch/update to increase frame rate

cuate

Banned
The game looks good group...couldnt have played this on x1/ps4/pc, it looks washed, it looks bad. And of course it can run on the switch when effects,fps, and resolution is low...so the fact it can run is not impressive.
It is the best handheld version, but by far the worst one compared to everything else...but hey its mobile.

You seem butthurt.

czk51

Playing now, a little bit of the campaign and some multiplayer. Really impressed. The blur definitely is noticeable but I'm adjusting, plus even though I've only played the demo of the PS4 version I don't really miss 60fps.

Poppyseed

Yeah 60fps would have been great with some resolutions set lower but hell the fact we are getting this game mean I bet a few ports are incoming.

Oh and I am betting there is a patch/update to increase frame rate

I’ll take that bet. No chance.

sneas78

Banned
This game is soo much fun arcade mode... Kills and mele is soo satisfying.. As far as graphics .. guess what.. Killzone Mercenary is still King.
In handheld mode.

This game is soo much fun arcade mode... Kills and mele is soo satisfying.. As far as graphics .. guess what.. Killzone Mercenary is still King.
In handheld mode

Technically speaking DOOM's visuals are far beyond anything the Vita is capable of. So I'm guessing you're largely referring to aesthetics rather than the technical underpinnings?

I'm curious that you specifically mention handheld mode though - on Switch DOOM appears to be using the same temporal supersampling antialiasing as on console. Stand still at a location with stair stepping and you'll see it slowly blend away. But the underpinning resolution is still higher than what KZ was outputting on Vita - which was also dynamic resolution.

tkscz

In handheld mode.

The art direction of Mercenary is good, but on a technical level, it doesn't match up. Better lighting, better geometry, better particles to name a few.

MDave

I think its amazing the entirety of the console/PC game is here. No levels cut out or scaled down, everything is here. All the graphical effects. All the music and voice overs. All the gameplay experience intact.

Well done Panic Button.

Just add in gyro assited aiming to add the cherry on top! Its quite difficult to aim as well with the small joycon analog sticks compared to a regular controller. Its position on the right joycon especially.

Make the left stick click the toggle/reset position for gyro and put photo mode in a menu or something instead.

kingbean

Having a mostly good time. Audio on glory kills seems like it's missing done effects, the lower resolution does make it very soft but still looks nice.

I'm only going to play it handheld mode so getting used to the tiny analog sticks will be the biggest hurdle. But in the middle of a firefight all the technical hang ups go away and its still doom and its still great.

Pretty damn impressed with this. It looks pretty soft on handheld mode but runs really great and is totally playable. I'm fine with the controls and haven't run into anything glaring yet.

Unsurprisingly, it looks pretty dang bad on my 65" 4K TV (KS8000). Other Switch games (Like Mario, Zelda, etc) look pretty great on this TV, but with what they're doing to get DOOM to run like this on the Switch, it looks super soft and muddy on TV.

That honestly doesn't bother me at all, because if I wanted to play DOOM on my TV I'd play it on the PS4 Pro or Xbox One X.

DOOM on the Switch is all about handheld for me and in that world it's great.

czk51

I've installed the parental control app so my little man doesn't jump in. Set it to Teen so he can still access Pokken Tournament and his other games but blocks this and Binding of Isaac. Great little feature.

MDave

Having a mostly good time. Audio on glory kills seems like it's missing done effects, the lower resolution does make it very soft but still looks nice.

I'm only going to play it handheld mode so getting used to the tiny analog sticks will be the biggest hurdle. But in the middle of a firefight all the technical hang ups go away and its still doom and its still great.

I just solved the tiny analog stick problem with something like this, I forgot to pop them back on after I changed my joycons to white! It makes a massive difference.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XRN9S93/

Mbrill82

I never played this previously and I'm really wanting to pick it up but the $60 price tag is really making me hesitate.

RaptorGTA

Got to try the game on during my lunch. Pretty solid so far. Very impressed with how it looks and runs. Had a few co workers stop by and try it out. Overall impression was surprise that a portable system was running Doom 2016.

Darko

I never played the original but im liking this, yea its blurry sometimes but i can live with it. Multiplayer has plenty of modes and dedicated servers as well. Doesnt look good on a tv though.

I just bought it 10 minutes ago, waiting for the kid to go to bed so I can pop this in. Can't wait until he's like 16 and I can play it together with him lol

Top Bottom