• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons announced

Rran

I think it looks pretty good. Not as nice as something like Streets of Rage 4 or even Shredder's Revenge, but Double Dragon's first games featured pretty squat-looking characters so I'm okay with this. I like the tag-out feature too, as someone who frequently has trouble deciding on characters. Time will tell whether the roguelike elements add to the fun or are a slog.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I think it looks pretty good. Not as nice as something like Streets of Rage 4 or even Shredder's Revenge, but Double Dragon's first games featured pretty squat-looking characters so I'm okay with this.

I honestly respect different opinions. But to put this with SoR4, which is basically a visual art candy is offensive. And this from someone who criticizes SoR4 alot.
This game is visually cheap garbage, a dirty lazy pixel stuff attempt that belings to a phone game.
Nothing in this game looks surprising at all.

Last edited:

kubricks

Just bought it and despite the kind of questionable art direction (which I dont really mind tbh), the gameplay is ... pretty good?

The pacing is a bit slow and more methodical than other recent beaten up like tmnt/sor4/fightnrage, probably due to recovery frame after jumps and special moves, but that's kind of the signature of DD right?

Anyway, if you can get pass the art style, do give it a try.

EDIT
Playing co-op with my kids felt great! Though probably not as fun and chaotic as TMNT.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Picked it up in October last year, shamefully I haven't even tried it yet. Let's fix that.
Now that it comes recommended from a fellow gaffer.
The additional characters play really differently too. Once I got the hang of Marion she is totally OP lol.

Reactions: Isa

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Still playing it. One of the best beat em ups ever made honestly. Not at Streets of Rage 4's level, but its probably top 4 of all time. Once you really get the tag mechanics down and realize you can buffer a move and tag and then combo off that, its just super fun. All the boss characters are great. Playing as Okada and Anubis is crazy, or the machine gun guy.

kunonabi

Still my GOTY and the new update just made it even better. Although I think I missed a patch somewhere because the audio kicks way harder than I remember and they seem to have reverted the roll > run change too.

Ceadeus

Still my GOTY and the new update just made it even better. Although I think I missed a patch somewhere because the audio kicks way harder than I remember and they seem to have reverted the roll > run change too.
How come the game doesn't have online lobbys like shredders revenge?

Isa

I really enjoyed this at launch period with my gf, each character playing differently and collecting stuff for unlocks also provided some neat incentive for replays. I don't get the hate for the style, its not my fave at all but its ok. For our taste we didn't like SoR4 much since it was so dark unlike the og's which we still regularly play, plus the stages went on way to long. I appreciate the hand drawn art but it didn't "feel" like a SoR title imho.

River City Girls while gorgeous is sadly a bit too hard for my gf who loves playing with me, with constant deaths making growth and progression difficult. She took to DD Gaiden very well and required very little aid. We had a LOT of fun with Mystic Warriors arcade archives earlier this year, beautiful game and one I wish I knew about growing up. Next up we've got Contra Operation Galuga and River City Saga Three Kingdoms to try out. Beat 'em ups are our in between games together between single player stuff. Occasional fighters and a DoA Xtreeeeeem romp here and there lol. Also some Musou love since many characters to choose from and co-op in most save for the new stuff. But I digress.

Back on topic, DD Gaiden was just fun to play.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I really enjoyed this at launch period with my gf, each character playing differently and collecting stuff for unlocks also provided some neat incentive for replays. I don't get the hate for the style, its not my fave at all but its ok. For our taste we didn't like SoR4 much since it was so dark unlike the og's which we still regularly play, plus the stages went on way to long. I appreciate the hand drawn art but it didn't "feel" like a SoR title imho.

River City Girls while gorgeous is sadly a bit too hard for my gf who loves playing with me, with constant deaths making growth and progression difficult. She took to DD Gaiden very well and required very little aid. We had a LOT of fun with Mystic Warriors arcade archives earlier this year, beautiful game and one I wish I knew about growing up. Next up we've got Contra Operation Galuga and River City Saga Three Kingdoms to try out. Beat 'em ups are our in between games together between single player stuff. Occasional fighters and a DoA Xtreeeeeem romp here and there lol. Also some Musou love since many characters to choose from and co-op in most save for the new stuff. But I digress.

Back on topic, DD Gaiden was just fun to play.
I thought the art style and animations looked a Iittle rough until I played it. Its super smooth and really expresses the impact of the hits. It looks fantastic in person.

And the best part is the combat has just enough room to express yourself if you want to push for higher skill ceiling stuff like doing a regular jump kick and canceling into an air special on the same jump and then tagging out before you even land. And like you said the tactics available really change depending on who you play.

Top Bottom