• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Fine wants to work on something ‘completely new and surprising’

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Since the sequel’s announcement in 2015, Double Fine has also released Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle remasters, and Schafer told GamesIndustry.biz the studio is motivated by the prospect of working on something brand new.

“All of this has been in some ways looking back on comfortable things,” he said. “And it’s been rewarding. I really enjoyed doing those remasters, I loved making an adventure game [Broken Age], and I loved making Psychonauts 2. But I think the team and I are really excited about doing something completely new that will be completely surprising to people.”

Schafer also said Double Fine plans to work on multiple projects simultaneously.

“There was a period at the end of Psychonauts 2 where we had all hands on deck to finish the game, but we’re definitely going back to multiple projects afterward. Until it happens again? Who knows? We don’t have any rules about that but we’re set up to have multiple projects and we have enough ideas to do that.”

Kuranghi

They should make something thats more arcade gameplay instead of something with a strong narrative, focus on mechanics and get better at that. Not saying they are bad but the narratives are already really good and it sounds like Psychonauts 2 is fantastic in that regard (and many others).

This way they can fire something out a bit quicker.

As others have said, they would potentially do a great job on a new Banjo game.

I’d also like to see them possibly resurrect some other dormant IP like a Simpsons game in the spirit of Hit & Run, Conker and I was thinking with their platforming style executed so well in Psychonauts , give them a chance at rebooting or a sequel to Recore.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Tim’s explicitly said no Banjo/Conker in an interview.

They’ll go on to do some random, quirky, highly praised game like Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango or Full Throttle next in my opinion, whilst simultaneously working on a bigger 3D project like Brutal Legend.

Robb

Gold Member
Sounds good! They've made some pretty crazy games in the past, looking forward to seeing what they come up with next.

Droxcy

I already want more psychonauts universe but they can definitely develop a new interesting IP for sure.

New is always fine with me. I just want it to be good.

They are inconsistent quality-wise. With their recent acquisition and recent masterpiece released in Psychonauts 2, I want them to be a little more selective with their projects and raise the bar to a consistently high level. They can clearly do it.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to a recent report, Double Fine has split up into different factions, with the intention of moving forward with new games. The report doesn't say what these games will be, but the studio is always looking to "explore new ideas," so this could mean that a Psychonauts 3 is unlikely to be on the horizon, but that's just speculation at this stage. Whatever the studio's teams will be working on next will almost certainly be games that fans will look forward to, given the positive reputation of the developer.

“The studio is already splitting up into various teams and starting different projects that we think you’ll enjoy. We like experimentation here at Double Fine. Every game is a chance to explore new ideas, new visual styles or gameplay, emotions, and more.”

Last edited:

.Pennywise

Banned
Rare, the studio that made the incredibly succesful SoT?
Yes, Rare, the studio that made the incredibly empty SoT and took years to make it good, didn't release anything since then and don't know what to do with Everwild announced 2 years ago.

JLB

Banned
Yes, Rare, the studio that made the incredibly empty SoT and took years to make it good, didn't release anything since then and don't know what to do with Everwild announced 2 years ago.

When you say years you actually mean months I guess
Also, let them fail before assuming that Everlwild is bad in any metric.

K2D

Banned
How about an open world game about being sent away by your parents, being forced to survive on your own and making allies along the way..? To close to school? It's really open area, yet confined and dense with lots of detail and a lot of shenanigans to be had.

I'd really take that Bully game right about now.

Bridges

Tim Schafer just did a podcast with Josef Fares of Hazelight and at one point says that he would like to make another platformer so that the team could build on the knowledge they gained from Psychonauts 2.
Fares also mentions that he's thought about a sequel to It Takes Two (not that that's very relevant to this thread).

It's a good listen if you like these guys, though I'm not sure how much insight (if any) that this actually gives to what they're doing next beyond fleeting thoughts

radewagon

I know it's not something new but...Brutal Legend 2 you bastards! :(
I'd rather they just go back and reboot Brutal Legend so that it plays like the proper Hack and Slash game that I was promised. The worst thing is that the game doesn't even introduce to main mechanic until a good ways in, so you get to spend some quality time with a fun action game before they pull the rug out from under you.

Top Bottom