• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age dreadwolf combat will be like Final Fantasy XV; Report

YuLY

I wonder, if this fails is Bioware dead for good?

When I say dead I don't mean to the fans, I mean killed by EA.
I imagine next Mass Effect will be far out enough at that point that EA will let that out also before they decide something like that, especially since Legendary Edition went above their expectations. I need to believe this btw, or I get clinical depression.

But yea, if both fail, Bioware is 100% done.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
dumb-and-dumber-jim-carrey.gif

Wunray

Everyone saying Inquisition combat is better than 15's hasn't actually played ff 15, both combat systems weren't good but 15 is much better than Inquisition.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
The description in that "article" sounds exactly like DA: Inquisition which for me was one of the best games on PS3.

Strategic battles - yup. you could pause DA:I combat and issue commands to your party members.
Combat like FFXV - yup. You controlled one character in battle and could attack actively or pause and set up commands/combos.
Recruit members - yup. Its a dragon age game (or almost any rpg for that matter).
Multiplayer - yup. You can three other folks head out to slay some demon things in a closed environment.

Seems like an upgrade of the last games systems/features.

Fbh

Everyone saying Inquisition combat is better than 15's hasn't actually played ff 15, both combat systems weren't good but 15 is much better than Inquisition.

Aside from looking cooler I can't think of a single thing the combat system in FF15 does better. Not that combat in Inquisition was particularly good but at least it wasn't as bare bones as FFXV

jaysius

Banned
The description in that "article" sounds exactly like DA: Inquisition which for me was one of the best games on PS3.

Strategic battles - yup. you could pause DA:I combat and issue commands to your party members.
Combat like FFXV - yup. You controlled one character in battle and could attack actively or pause and set up commands/combos.
Recruit members - yup. Its a dragon age game (or almost any rpg for that matter).
Multiplayer - yup. You can three other folks head out to slay some demon things in a closed environment.

Seems like an upgrade of the last games systems/features.
There was no strategy, your AI people just steam rolled everything, until you needed to issue commands, then they really didn't fucking listen too well and got killed repeatedly.

DA:I was one of the worst games of that generation, the characters were flat, the story telling was trash. The last boss was dull and too easy.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
We already knew the game was more action oriented, first showings showed a third person over-the-shoulder camera and gameplay that looked like Dark Souls.

I don't care. Dragon Age: Origins was a great game and a nice CRPG, but they shat the bed with the sequels. Thankfully there are still cool CRPGs coming out so if Dragon Age sucks it's no biggie.

Also fuck EA.

Ultra Donny

• Dragon Age Dreadwolf moved from its intended multiplayer components to a single-player experience;
  • These multiplayer components are still 'felt' to some extent in the current version of the game (feels like Destiny);
This is what worries me most. Do we have a Gotham nights situation here whit a lot of unnecessary farming and uninspiring side quests?

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
There was no strategy, your AI people just steam rolled everything, until you needed to issue commands, then they really didn't fucking listen too well and got killed repeatedly.

DA:I was one of the worst games of that generation, the characters were flat, the story telling was trash. The last boss was dull and too easy.
Okay...clearly DA:I hurt you deeply.

dragon age GIF

I spent over 150 hours picking up herbs and leveling up my party folks. Don't remember much of the story outside of a base getting blown up, some sort of pilgrimage "to the north" then some guy who is a wolf.
I thought the areas were neat to explore so I feel I got my monies worth. If the follow up is anything like DA:I I will enjoy it, but different folks/different strokes.

Wildebeest

DA:I had some of the worst controls of any PC game I ever played. I just have no idea what they were thinking if it wasn't pure sadism and hatred of their customers.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Bioware is fucking dead.
Bro Final Fantasy 15 is the highest selling rpg game on last gen

Consider all that the team on bioware will be listening to statistic analys, programer, head studios, marketing department, game designer over bunch of angry dude on neogaf

Bet the people here are still angry if they kept dragon age inquition gameplay intact

Im not the biggest fan of ff15 gameplay either but their decision kinda make sense

Last edited:

Aenima

This is what worries me most. Do we have a Gotham nights situation here whit a lot of unnecessary farming and uninspiring side quests?
Pretty much. Im ok with a combat system like FF15, but if the game was designed to be multiplayer and then changed for single player but the multiplayer design is still there, it kinda worries me, that it will be just a bunch of MMORPG style fetch quests.

Was excited for a new Dragon Age game, now my hype has been deflated to zero. Its a wait and see game now.

Last edited:
Bro Final Fantasy 15 is the highest selling rpg game on last gen

Consider all that the team on bioware will be listening to statistic analys, programer, head studios, marketing department, game designer over bunch of angry dude on neogaf

Bet the people here are still angry if they kept dragon age inquition gameplay intact

Im not the biggest fan of ff15 gameplay either but their decision kinda make sense
What kind of logic is this? So if a game sells well, every aspect of it was loved and should be used as a source of inspiration?

Airbus Jr

Banned
What kind of logic is this? So if a game sells well, every aspect of it was loved and should be used as a source of inspiration?
Every business decision which based on profitability does

I understand not every gamer love this decision but people out there might like it

game like minecraft, fortnite, apex legends, cs go, among us, league of legends not popular/rarely talked here but are among one of the most popular game out there

The sad truth us neogaf doesnt represent the world

Last edited:
Every business decision which based on profitability does

I understand not every gamer love this decision but people out there might like it

game like minecraft, fortnite, apex legends, cs go, among us, league of legends not popular/rarely talked here but are among one of the most popular game out there

The sad truth us neogaf doesnt represent the world
When making business decisions based on profitability there’s usually research that goes into it and a proper process. If they did 2 seconds of research they’d know that XV’s combat does not have a good reputation and it’s not just Neogaf lol. However they chose to have combat inspired by XV, it was NOT via proper research based on profitability.

Last edited:
This sounds a lot more promising
Okay, so that's the setup and general overview. Now for the juicy gameplay details:
  • Combat is completely in real-time and similar to a hack and slash. I'm told the guiding reference point was the God of War (2018), and that shows.
  • Player has their regular combo attack and then their abilities as well as a special bar which generates allowing you to pull off a special move. I don't really understand the comparison to FF15's wheel. It's standard Dragon Age ability wheel.
  • There was no party control demonstrated. I think it's a safe bet to say you will not be able to directly control your party members in the game. That said, you likely will be able to tell them to execute certain abilities. But apparently that was locked off in the Alpha.
  • The most immediate thing you noticed is that animation quality has DRASTICALLY improved. Like, for any other AAA title it's probably not that big a deal. But we've never seen animation quality this good in any BioWare game. I didn't actually play it, but I can tell it probably feels really good to control your character. No more stiff animations, it's all very fluid and seems also very responsive.
  • Jumping has also been retained. So, rejoice if you enjoyed jumping a lot in DAI.
  • As the character was a sword and shield dude, he was able to parry attacks from enemies and follow up with counters. It's hard to tell their exact abilities, they only had two on hotkeys along with a special. But one appears to basically be a drop kick and the other a charged sword attack. I'm not sure exactly what the special attack does.
  • The UI is similar to DAI, but this is also Alpha and UI is the last thing finalized in any game. Character has a chest slot, a helmet slot, a primary weapon slot, and a shield (secondary weapon?) slot. For accessories, one amulet slot, one belt slot, and two ring slots.
  • Oh and the player character's hair looked glorious. I mean, it was clipping right through their helmet. But it was flowing and bouncing as they moved. Finally, no more stiff ass hair. Now, let's hope we have more than just two black hairstyles.
  • Enemies were pretty much just variations of darkspawn, except the dragon, but again they seemed to have Red Lyrium powers.

Aaaaand some gifs and screenshots:

Last edited:
This sounds a lot more promising
Okay, so that's the setup and general overview. Now for the juicy gameplay details:
  • Combat is completely in real-time and similar to a hack and slash. I'm told the guiding reference point was the God of War (2018), and that shows.
  • Player has their regular combo attack and then their abilities as well as a special bar which generates allowing you to pull off a special move. I don't really understand the comparison to FF15's wheel. It's standard Dragon Age ability wheel.
  • There was no party control demonstrated. I think it's a safe bet to say you will not be able to directly control your party members in the game. That said, you likely will be able to tell them to execute certain abilities. But apparently that was locked off in the Alpha.
  • The most immediate thing you noticed is that animation quality has DRASTICALLY improved. Like, for any other AAA title it's probably not that big a deal. But we've never seen animation quality this good in any BioWare game. I didn't actually play it, but I can tell it probably feels really good to control your character. No more stiff animations, it's all very fluid and seems also very responsive.
  • Jumping has also been retained. So, rejoice if you enjoyed jumping a lot in DAI.
  • As the character was a sword and shield dude, he was able to parry attacks from enemies and follow up with counters. It's hard to tell their exact abilities, they only had two on hotkeys along with a special. But one appears to basically be a drop kick and the other a charged sword attack. I'm not sure exactly what the special attack does.
  • The UI is similar to DAI, but this is also Alpha and UI is the last thing finalized in any game. Character has a chest slot, a helmet slot, a primary weapon slot, and a shield (secondary weapon?) slot. For accessories, one amulet slot, one belt slot, and two ring slots.
  • Oh and the player character's hair looked glorious. I mean, it was clipping right through their helmet. But it was flowing and bouncing as they moved. Finally, no more stiff ass hair. Now, let's hope we have more than just two black hairstyles.
  • Enemies were pretty much just variations of darkspawn, except the dragon, but again they seemed to have Red Lyrium powers.

Aaaaand some gifs and screenshots:

I gotta say if this is what we're getting I'm down. That looks like it could be cool.

Top Bottom