• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition’s Cross-Gen Launch “Crushed So Much Ambition,” Says Former BioWare Boss

SLB1904

Banned
explain? how does a bigger playerbase hurt gran turismo? not following that game closely
ps4 cant keep up with ps5, framerate issues, connection issues and slow loading times are hampering the manufacturers and nation cup competition
they had to drop the lobbies from 20 to 16 players.
granded we still in test season lets see if gets better. so far has been infuriating.

jorgejjvr

ps4 cant keep up with ps5, framerate issues, connection issues and slow loading times are hampering the manufacturers and nation cup competition
they had to drop the lobbies from 20 to 16 players.
granded we still in test season lets see if gets better. so far has been infuriating.
I see, don't get me wrong, if it was up to me, next Gen only since day 1

But my statement remains true, with shortages and with 100 mil ps4s, they are making more money with a ps4 version in the wild

Bragr

Banned
I'm actually playing through Inquisition at the moment. It's a great game with a lot of flaws.

The party dynamic is perhaps the most ambitious party besides Red Dead Redemption 2, the sheer amount of dialogue is staggering, the voice acting is great and the game put a lot of effort into building characters. People like to meme the Iron Bull, but there are more personalized and useful narrative arcs built into the characters in Inquisition than in most games.

The combat is bad and the game is too excessive with the annoying loot (god damn elfroot). Some of the systems, like crafting and potions, feel like it was made in 2005 and is completely outdated, the riding is absolutely terrible. The soundtrack is great and does a lot. The areas are cool, big and polished, handcrafted.

The main quest is interesting enough, the character quests are good, but it has a metric ton of tedious fetch-quests. Trying to complete some of these areas is time-consuming and boring because they repeat the same mediocre quests over and over. I'm about halfway through, and I fear the tedious nature of completing these areas will get worse.

But, the excellent party and the massive amount of effort into realizing the world and what is going on in it makes it worth it. For example, having political advisors explaining the political landscape and how your actions shape it and how characters are considering everything from logistics to how to feed people makes the world come alive, it's rare that games put this much effort into explaining the world.

SLB1904

Banned
I see, don't get me wrong, if it was up to me, next Gen only since day 1

But my statement remains true, with shortages and with 100 mil ps4s, they are making more money with a ps4 version in the wild
making more money in the short term sure, but its only going to harm the game in a long term

Shubh_C63

So what the developer is saying that it is impossible to make good games on PS1 and PS2. Got it.

but really, cpu powerhouse and bigger faster stronger shouldn't be your endgame strategy.
Cyberpunk 2077 could have also been a great game (still is?) despite running on 2022 hardware instead of 2077.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
And that's a complete nonsense thing to say.

How is it a nonsense thing to say when you have folks in this thread literally saying exactly that and the fact that we have an example of a disastrous CDPR game that was forced to go cross-gen.

. . .and CLEARLY we are largely talking about technical limitations here.

I swear this reads like a parody lol.

This place doesnt have to be extreme just in the opposite direction like resetera lol

It really is something else. They even managed to drag in FS/Elden Ring out of freaking nowhere in that comment. Now all we need is someone to post about Jim Ryan and I'll have "thread BINGO."

Yerd

My examples were better games (writing, characters, dialogue, gameplay, etc) not held back by "tech."

There was no amount of current or cross-gen excuses saving that shitty game.
I'm not even trying to defend this game, but this is kind of making my point that the games you used as an example weren't released cross gen. Regardless of the quality of the game they have a limitation on their team that wasn't there in any of those games you cited.

samoilaaa

I swear this reads like a parody lol.

This place doesnt have to be extreme just in the opposite direction like resetera lol
the game director is trans gen and said that it will make sure lgbtq will be represented in the game in the right way , and the lead narrative is gay too , so yea its not a parody it really will be woke

samoilaaa

the witcher 3 was better because it had better story , better characters and didnt feel like an single player mmo not because it wasnt cross gen , what was the excuse for mass effect andromeda ? the only good thing about that game was the combat , the rest was trash

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm not even trying to defend this game, but this is kind of making my point that the games you used as an example weren't released cross gen. Regardless of the quality of the game they have a limitation on their team that wasn't there in any of those games you cited.
Reread what you wrote.

How is it a nonsense thing to say when you have folks in this thread literally saying exactly that and the fact that we have an example of a disastrous CDPR game that was forced to go cross-gen.

. . .and CLEARLY we are largely talking about technical limitations here.

TW3 =/= Cyberpunk

The pundits claiming that CP was the mess it was solely because of cross-gen are completely fucking ignorant.

Regardless, TW3 is not the same as that game. The scope and scale of what CDPR were trying to accomplish with CP was well beyond their capability, time, resources and engine and toolset limitations. They were well outside of their comfort zone.

TW3 was the third in a series of Witcher games that they'd been slowly building up to in terms of their expertise, resource, engine and dev toolchains.

So CP would have been just as much of a mess had they foregone PS4/XB1 development. Whereas there's a much stronger argument for TW3 being great even if they managed to get the game running on PS3/XB360... I mean, they ported it to the fucking Switch.

iQuasarLV

“I’d say the biggest compromise came from the fact that we had to ship Inquisition on the Xbox 360 and PS3 at the same time as we did on the PS4 and Xbox One,” Flynn said. “That crushed so much ambition because we didn’t have the team size or the time to differentiate those things, truly. So you had to kind of develop the lowest common denominator. And as that came in, that certainly beat out some expectations and ambitions we had for certain fun features in gameplay”

Interestingly, Flynn went on to mention The Witcher 3, another massive RPG that came out just a year later and turned out to be the better experience, partly – according to Flynn – because it wasn’t a cross-gen game.

“In contrast, CD Projekt didn’t do that with The Witcher 3, a few months later, and I think their game was better for it,” he said.

I would like to take a moment to highlight that line there. I have said it elsewhere here, in NeoGAF, that current generation consoles are suffering quality games because of this very response here. Until PS5 out strips the PS4 is revenue we are going to be seeing cross generational games for a very, very, long time. Same ole' problem we had with DX9 and the x360 and PS3 use of it stagnating game evolution for around five(5) years or more in the early 2000s. DX10 what?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It does have a little bit of an impact, but this is poor form. Don't drink the Kool aide from this dev BS, which reality was this...

And here are some examples of PS360 games that were and are great to this day.

Halo 3
TLoU
Uncharted 2
Mass Effect
Dead Space
Dragon's Dogma
Oblivion
Skyrim
etc, etc, etc.

Aside from TLOU, I would agree with you completely.

A great game is a great game, regardless of the era and platform it released on. Ultima 4 is still one of the best RPGs of all time, and that was released for the MSDOS and Apple II computers, IIRC? Super Mario Bros 3, Final Fantasy VI - the list goes on and we could literally build an entire tome of titles just fo rnames alone that are still, objectively, great titles that have stood the test of time.

Raven117

Interestingly, Flynn went on to mention The Witcher 3, another massive RPG that came out just a year later and turned out to be the better experience, partly – according to Flynn – because it wasn’t a cross-gen game.
Witcher 3 would have been a better game on the SNES than DA:I.

Yerd

"Cross-gen" was the least of their issues. In fact, it held nothing back that those games that were on last gen able to do better.
You're missing what I'm saying. They have cross gen as a requirement. Whether it affected their design or not, it's still a limitation that had to be factored into their development team. Maybe they had their story writers working on the PS3 code and their PS3 coders working on the story writing. I have no idea what went on there. I'm just pointing out that the "better" games you list, didn't have that hinderance on their team.

Like I said before, I'm not defending the game. I'm just defending this guy's argument. The games you listed aren't a fair comparison.

It's a nit-pick, and I'm already exhausted even arguing this point. I don't care about this game enough to match your passionate hate for it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You're missing what I'm saying. They have cross gen as a requirement. Whether it affected their design or not, it's still a limitation that had to be factored into their development team. Maybe they had their story writers working on the PS3 code and their PS3 coders working on the story writing. I have no idea what went on there. I'm just pointing out that the "better" games you list, didn't have that hinderance on their team.

Like I said before, I'm not defending the game. I'm just defending this guy's argument. The games you listed aren't a fair comparison.

It's a nit-pick, and I'm already exhausted even arguing this point. I don't care about this game enough to match your passionate hate for it.
No "passionate hate" at all, just don't buy the BS excuse for their subpar everything. That was the least of that game's and BioWare in general's issues.

Top Bottom