• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins appreciation thread

RickSanchez

Gold Member
Finally, if you game on PC and fancy another playthrough, I would recommend checking out the mod scene. There's a lot there to tweak the game and update some of the outdated visuals.

I played it 3 different ways end to end when it came out. I remember it being a lot of fun! But honestly does it still hold up in 2022 ? Do some of the mods make it look better ? And perhaps some QoL mods to make it play better ? I tried again and again to get into DA INquisition, but it simply lacks the charm of Origins. Also, i kinda fell in love with Morrigan.

I played it 3 different ways end to end when it came out. I remember it being a lot of fun! But honestly does it still hold up in 2022 ? Do some of the mods make it look better ? And perhaps some QoL mods to make it play better ? I tried again and again to get into DA INquisition, but it simply lacks the charm of Origins. Also, i kinda fell in love with Morrigan.

Find hetrosexual man who didn't fall in love with Morrigan TikTok challenge (impossible)

Just wanted to do a bit of a drive by and say that this game was absolutely outstanding and definitely one of the best CRPG style games I’ve ever played. One of the rare occasions I’ve finished all the DLC too.
Unfortunately to me, Awakening was the only good DLC, others already showed what direction the sequel was going to take.
Is it as good as Origins from a story / narrative / pacing / rpg mechanics point of view ?
Besides less than a handful of mission (and even then, partially so), the only genuinely good thing about it is the music. Minus the bard songs (and their glitchy animations).
In some parts of the game, you have to either wait (sometimes hours in realtime), or do crappy fetch quests to gather "power" to do some missions. And sometimes both.
It tries to ape Origins (and Skyrim, Fable, Kingdoms Of Amalur, Witcher, some japanese media, etc.) and fails.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Gold Member
Besides less than a handful of mission (and even then, partially so), the only genuinely good thing about it is the music. Minus the bard songs (and their glitchy animations).
In some parts of the game, you have to either wait (sometimes hours in realtime), or do crappy fetch quests to gather "power" to do some missions. And sometimes both.
It tries to ape Origins (and Skyrim, Fable, Kingdoms Of Amalur, Witcher, some japanese media, etc.) and fails.

This is pretty much the feeling i got from Inquisition when i tried to get into it (multiple times). It feels like a corporate-style imitation of Origins

kikkis

Combat in this game pretty inane but for some reason it doesnt bother me much. Currently on some kind of mind control mission and it's starting grind my gears a bit.

*raises hand*

Morrigan was a pain most of the time. She never approved of anything i did. Quite the B*tch, sassy attitude, way too edgy.
Leliana was my kind of gal: faithful, loyal, cute and submissive.

Wasn't Morrigan forced inside all her life by psycho flemeth until we come along? And she is only allowed to come so flemeth can have a stronger body to steal...so needless to say you gottah work past that cold exterior, but she will get sweet with you! Best believe my man walked through that portal with her.

And Leliana, while cute, came from a band of cutthroat assassins and lavish lifestyle she still pines for.

What I'm saying is this game was so good it made me care about the characters SO much. I think I had more fun writing my Hero's history to load into Inquisition than actually playing the game... but I also messed up and played inquisition first before being shown the light just last year!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

NOTE: This is a compilation of our three-part video documentary series about Dragon Age: Origins, Dragon Age 2 and Dragon Age: Inquisition that aired in 2019.

When it comes to Western role-playing games, few video game developers are as renowned as Bioware. The Edmonton-based studio’s catalogue is as celebrated as it is influential, with almost all of its titles representing the peaks of their genres in the eras they debuted. Baldur’s Gate brought computer RPGs back in vogue with its sublime, high-fantasy gameplay. Neverwinter NightsKnights masterfully adapted its tenets into a multiplayer-centric experience. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic saw the former games’ narrative finesse melded with the adventurism of the galaxy far, far away. And Mass Effect made all of this Bioware’s own – while taking it to the next level.

But being this renowned comes with a high heavy price. Today, gamers are well aware of the struggles the studio dealt with recently during the development of games like Mass Effect: Andromeda and Anthem. Yet the reality is that struggles like these have persisted throughout its entire history, with nearly every major production that Bioware has successfully completed representing a triumph in the face of massive adversity.

Dragon Age, Bioware’s much-beloved high-fantasy series, is perhaps most emblematic of this. While each of its mainline entries were made under vastly different circumstances from one another, they all suffered in their own, unique ways. Its third one’s design failed to fully come together until late in its production, and needed to be made in an incredibly unruly engine. Its second one’s development period was one of the most cramped its staff had ever experienced. And its first operated without a consistent team or set of tools for an immensely long – so much so, that many wondered if it was ever going to come out at all.

This is the history of Dragon Age: Origins.

Shut0wen

Dao is a very special game, started off the whole rpg trend that we see today but it kills me that bioware is just so unable to make a game like it, imo the sequels are awful though da2 isnt as bad as inquisition but if you loved doa i cant reccomend goldgreed enough, literally feels like old school bioware game with modern touches to it also one of the things i hate the most is how different the mage from awakening expansion is to da2, they should of written a whole new character

Last edited:

Shut0wen

II wasn't so bad, in fact it did some things better than Origins; the story wasn't your typical "Hero saves the world", though the narrative is not nearly as good as Origins, and still you have Varric's shennanigans; The art was more stylized compared to Origins' Lord Of The Rings-esque design, particularly the design of races; the music used more varried instruments and orchestrations; And your character's looks affected those of your family. The problem, for the most part, was that it was rushed and many of these either didn't come to full fruition, or were affected by other incomplete aspects (repetetive locations demeaning the change in art direction); Gameplay was not nearly as deep either. Still you can consider II some kind of Dragon Age (or another Bioware RPG) in compact form. Inquisishit though is so far from the formula, and more importantly quality, that I can not fathom how can one enjoy it in anyway, maybe gamepads somehow make it work (but what about the awful inventory and sponge enemies?), but this is all before we bring up any of its powerful yet extremely inflexible engine's faults.
And you're not missing much on either of those witches.
The beef i have with inquestion is they replaced well written or even written side quests into fucking jrpg fetch quests with little story, nothing wrong with fetch quests but at least dao and da2 put a little thought and story into why your doing it, its ashame because the graphics even today still look quite good, especially in cutscenes and someone at bioware thought it was a good idea to keep these cutscenes for the main quest and character quests and thats it, but the gameplay was still quite good though

The beef i have with inquestion is they replaced well written or even written side quests into fucking jrpg fetch quests with little story, nothing wrong with fetch quests but at least dao and da2 put a little thought and story into why your doing it, its ashame because the graphics even today still look quite good, especially in cutscenes and someone at bioware thought it was a good idea to keep these cutscenes for the main quest and character quests and thats it, but the gameplay was still quite good though
The resources for those fetch quest could be in unreachable or un-interactable places.
I have nothing good to say about Inquisishit, except perhapse the music.

Top Bottom