• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super is very bad and may be worse than GT.

How do you feel about Dragon Ball Super?

• Dragon Ball Super is Good

Votes: 71 54.2%
  • Dragon Ball Super is Bad

Votes: 22 16.8%
  • Dragon Ball Super is Bad and worse than GT

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • Never seen it

Votes: 20 15.3%

• Total voters

Porcile

The only reason I like it is because it keeps Dragon Ball alive but as a show it is kind of dogshit. I can't stand the art style and stiff animation. I watched Broly and kind of enjoyed some parts of the story but compared to say even something like the first Pokemon movie or whatever, the animation is not anywhere near the standard it should be for a theatrical release.

Larlight

I couldn’t continue watching Super knowing they pulled a Kevin from The Office and Homer from The Simpson’s and made my boy Goku dumber than ever before. They reversed his character development from Z and even GT (atleast any dumb moments he had in GT could be explained with him being a kid). Hence outside the Super Broly movie I saw with my friend (which I actually enjoyed in theatres) I can’t watch Super.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I heard a lot of hype when Super returned. I loved DBZ growing up, so I gave it a shot and just couldn't appreciate it at all.
I just hope the classic DBZ seasons hold up slightly better for me than Super does now.

Porcile

I heard a lot of hype when Super returned. I loved DBZ growing up, so I gave it a shot and just couldn't appreciate it at all.
I just hope the classic DBZ seasons hold up slightly better for me than Super does now.

Read the manga instead. It's really good. But honestly the Z anime is still good today because you can skip the dumb filler arcs and episodes with ease.

Davey Cakes

The Goku Black arc in Super undermines everything that Trunks went through in Z. I want to love it but I just can’t.

Super Saiyan Rage does not make up for anything.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
The Goku Black arc in Super undermines everything that Trunks went through in Z. I want to love it but I just can’t.

Super Saiyan Rage does not make up for anything.

It has some brilliant ideas, but terribly executed. Just knowing that they brought back Mafuba and end up failed tells alot. If he end up being defeated by an old techniche most of them even forgot about, would be amazing(would mean being smart win against power level).

I'm not a big DB fan like my friends are, but I've seen all of GT and most of Super, and most of Z. I stopped caring about Z at the Bu saga. Frieza and Cell were cool, but Bu saga shouldve been the torch being passed to Gohan after his win in Cell saga.

Instead he gets backseated, then given an Ex-machina power up just to lose and tossed aside again.

The whole premise of Goku being turned into a kid in GT is super dumb. I liked seeing all the other characters as being older though. SS4 is a better design than the basic bitch hair recolors in Super, even if it's also goofy. I also thought the Baby Saga wasn't bad once it actually got to Baby showing up. Him taking over Vegeta's body was an interesting premise. Every other arch was just forgettable aside from the final fight with Omega Shenron.

Super is just okay. Like it's just really basic dumb fun, but as someone who's not a huge DB fan I already had that fun with DBZ and Super just doesn't really do anything new.

It's less of an embarrassment than GT, but it feels like a soulless cash in. The Broly movie slaps at least.

GT did have a way better sense of design, but that's really the only thing it had going for it.

ChazAshley

Gold Member
Super was a weird balance of having that child-like excitement again because there was as NEW Dragon Ball series and then getting disappointed at EVERY SINGLE CLIFFHANGER. Literally an abusive relationship. Super Saiyan God? Ok sounds good - oh... Goku loses, but that's ok Beerus changes his mind. Super Saiyan Rage? Alright here we go! Oh... Trunks got beat again. Super Vegito?? YES - oh... 2 minute fight. Super Saiyan Blue ascended? Ok ok ok here we go! Vegeta loses. All this hope, for nothing.

Bad:
- Poor animations, especially in the first few episodes which killed off the hype immediately.
- Over-dependence on new transformations. Someone correct me, did DBS not offer any new moves/attacks from the main cast? I guess Trunk's Spirit Sword counts...
- Due to lack of new moveset, almost every fight felt the same - same repeated animations, fire chi blast, dust to raise tension, Goku going "KKKCCTTTTT" every fight.
- Evil clone vegeta arc.
- Videl becoming generic anime wife
- Characters with potential, but due to lack of time, no development at all.
- I know power levels are a joke at this point, but really the lack of consistency does bother any one who grew up watching DB where it WAS a factor.

With that said, can't deny there were some good moments that made me happy:

- Goku going UI for the first time was pretty hype
- Trunks crying and Gohan saying goodbye was actually pretty touching - even though their reason for leaving was pretty lame.
- Goku + Freiza vs Jiren - Dunno what it was, but as a kid growing up watching DBZ and seeing the Freiza arc for so long - then to have them join together was pretty hype.
- Pan episode was cute
- Trunks meeting 18
- Broly movie was senseless fun - I liked it.
- Intro and outro theme songs.

Top Bottom